Author Topic: Brian Cache home of the 331st and the Not-Named-Clan  (Read 62550 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Brian Cache home of the 331st and the Not-Named-Clan
« Reply #120 on: 03 August 2019, 17:16:05 »
The Wolverines are beyond the Rim fighting Bird Aliens in hordes of Locust knock off mechs. That is all.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #121 on: 04 August 2019, 02:22:41 »
The Wolverines are beyond the Rim fighting Bird Aliens in hordes of Locust knock off mechs. That is all.
Trust me, whatever they are up to it is something cool.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #122 on: 04 August 2019, 02:36:35 »
Based on the glimpses of 3250 in the products framed as Loremaster reports to the ilKhan, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Wolverines/Minnesota Tribe eventually come out of hiding and form the core of the resistance to the Third League.

It would certainly match with their ethos of resistance to the philosophies of Nicholas Kerensky and his heirs.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 04 August 2019, 16:19:29 »
Based on the glimpses of 3250 in the products framed as Loremaster reports to the ilKhan, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Wolverines/Minnesota Tribe eventually come out of hiding and form the core of the resistance to the Third League.

It would certainly match with their ethos of resistance to the philosophies of Nicholas Kerensky and his heirs.

Would be a interesting idea but I want to see the Great Houses rise up and push the clans out and then recreate there borders circa 3025. My hope is any 3250 doesnt throw out the mechs and tech we know and replaced by some 'magic bullet's technology.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #124 on: 04 August 2019, 16:26:42 »
Based on the blurbs we’ve gotten, 3250 tech is superior

I don’t think we’re ever getting there. It’s being used as a universal narrator that will provide a consistent viewpoint now that comstar is kaput

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 04 August 2019, 17:18:28 »
Based on the blurbs we’ve gotten, 3250 tech is superior

I don’t think we’re ever getting there. It’s being used as a universal narrator that will provide a consistent viewpoint now that comstar is kaput

Comstar is kaput? Famous last words there.  :D

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #126 on: 05 August 2019, 00:28:24 »
well so far with the 3150 timeframe, it looks like if Comstar survives it will be as a subsidiary of Clan Sea Fox Multinational, Ltd. with perhaps a small breakaway owned by the Lyran Government.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #127 on: 05 August 2019, 06:58:54 »

I'd like the sourcebook for that.  ;D

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #128 on: 05 August 2019, 12:31:35 »
Trust me, whatever they are up to it is something cool.

They could be dead.

That's quite cold
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #129 on: 05 August 2019, 16:59:24 »
They could be dead.

That's quite cold

Fully possible as well. But it makes for a bad story when having them out there as the boogieman works just as well. There is even a hint to that with a cave full of destroyed Wolverine Mechs and the WoB defending the site (or just destroying a stray expidition) with a Thera in one sourcebook.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #130 on: 05 August 2019, 17:18:04 »
"the report of our death has been greatly exaggerated"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #131 on: 05 August 2019, 17:25:27 »
A Wolverine is never more dangerous then when he is dead!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #132 on: 05 August 2019, 17:32:48 »
Fully possible as well. But it makes for a bad story when having them out there as the boogieman works just as well. There is even a hint to that with a cave full of destroyed Wolverine Mechs and the WoB defending the site (or just destroying a stray expidition) with a Thera in one sourcebook.

But if you look closely at that story, there is no sign of combat in the empty base,  it looks abandoned, rather than destroyed.  To me, that says they left, rather than getting wiped out.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #133 on: 05 August 2019, 17:51:21 »

Yes....but OTOH, SOMEONE out there seems to be using  the Wolverines as boogiemen. And it isn't necessarily the Wolverines.

How many of the stories of the Wolverines and Minnesota Tribe, how many are false, how many are deliberate misinformation designed as a cover by one or more third parties?

The entire Wolverine story is a mess...a huge plot hook players and GMs can use but which offers several different directions, contradictory information, which can never live up to its promise if the truth is ever revealed. It'd please a handful of players and annoy the half who preferred another story.

I mean, look at the Minnesota Tribe. Were they Clan Wolverine? Refugees from the SLiE? Runaways from the Clans? Exiles of the Pentagon Powers? A scout fleet from the Clans? A hunting party seeking the Wolverines? An old SLDF unit returned for supplies? ComStar?

Everyone likes to think they are the Wolverines and maybe they are. Maybe they were just a buncha pirates who found a wreck and took the Mechs as trophies.

All of these theories have been pushed at some point. Some even have evidence or inference....there is speculation the Jenner IIC originated because the Tribe captured some and brought it back to the Cluster.

Right now, there is very little information about the Wolverines that can be treated as canon or correct. Anything you read may be true, may be false.

A great plot hook....but one that I doubt will ever be realised.

Are they dead?
Maybe
Did they keep running?
Maybe.
Are they the Minnesotas?
Maybe
Was that cave a Wolverine stash?
Maybe
Was it a WoB front?
Maybe.
Are the Wolverines associated with the Ebon Magiatrate?
Maybe
Did the MoC simply drag themselves up with a lot of hard work, good leadership and sensible planning?
Maybe.

"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #134 on: 05 August 2019, 19:55:27 »
Yes....but OTOH, SOMEONE out there seems to be using  the Wolverines as boogiemen. And it isn't necessarily the Wolverines.

How many of the stories of the Wolverines and Minnesota Tribe, how many are false, how many are deliberate misinformation designed as a cover by one or more third parties?

The entire Wolverine story is a mess...a huge plot hook players and GMs can use but which offers several different directions, contradictory information, which can never live up to its promise if the truth is ever revealed. It'd please a handful of players and annoy the half who preferred another story.

I mean, look at the Minnesota Tribe. Were they Clan Wolverine? Refugees from the SLiE? Runaways from the Clans? Exiles of the Pentagon Powers? A scout fleet from the Clans? A hunting party seeking the Wolverines? An old SLDF unit returned for supplies? ComStar?

Everyone likes to think they are the Wolverines and maybe they are. Maybe they were just a buncha pirates who found a wreck and took the Mechs as trophies.

All of these theories have been pushed at some point. Some even have evidence or inference....there is speculation the Jenner IIC originated because the Tribe captured some and brought it back to the Cluster.

Right now, there is very little information about the Wolverines that can be treated as canon or correct. Anything you read may be true, may be false.

Are they dead?
Maybe
Did they keep running?
Maybe.
Are they the Minnesotas?
Maybe
Maybe
Was it a WoB front?
Maybe.
Maybe
Did the MoC simply drag themselves up with a lot of hard work, good leadership and sensible planning?
Maybe.

I do not recall the source-book, but it shows the dates when the Minnesota Tribe hit the Combine. The last raid (Richmond) never made a lot of sense to me... because it happened half a year or more after their previous, why?. I wonder if they were the ones who attacked Richmond, or someone else pretending to be them. It doesn't make much sense why they would want to free and take a bunch of prisoners. I can see ComStar painting their 'Mechs as the "boogieman" as described from previous attacks, and orchestrating an attack, but I also do cannot connect the dots on why ComStar would have wanted the prisoners.

I can only hope they tell us what happened to them. Even if it's as simple as them finding a quiet planet and losing their heritage, dying off, or they jumped through a star and they are no more.   
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #135 on: 05 August 2019, 20:27:52 »
I do not recall the source-book, but it shows the dates when the Minnesota Tribe hit the Combine. The last raid (Richmond) never made a lot of sense to me... because it happened half a year or more after their previous, why?

There are several dates...yeah, those change too....but they were spread put over a large time frame. Either the Wolverines were certain noone was hunting them...a foolish risk to take...or they weren't tbe Wolverines or they couldn't move. Each of those possibilities opens up other questions and problems.

I can only hope they tell us what happened to them. Even if it's as simple as them finding a quiet planet and losing their heritage, dying off, or they jumped through a star and they are no more.

I cannot see it happening. It would disappoint too many people. It would inevitably be a let down no matter what storyline was used.

I've made my preferred storyline clear.
The Wolverines were not White Knights and attempted a coup,that failed.
They ran. They may or may not have been the Tribe. Betrayal of Ideals is canon in that it is a copy of the book put forward by the Society and, while possibly based on true events, cannot be trusted to reveal the full truth. It may be all false, or half true and intended to deceive.

I like this approach because 1...it is the approach most consistent with other works  and therefore the simplest to work in (and no matter that a secret history would read like this, it is still the outlier, the exception) and 2...i believe it potentially works better for the Wolverines, and stops them.being victims. You want factions that have heart, passion and drive - and McEvedy launching a coup, whether for power or a sense of righteousness while the other Clans disdain her treason is something that leaves the Wolverine story in a far better place than "the Clans are bad and picked on the Wolvies so the Wolvies ran away"

Not everyone is going to agree with those but the Wolverine story is so convoluted that everyone can pick and choose.

And that flexibility also likely ensures no resolution of the mystery.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #136 on: 06 August 2019, 04:28:21 »

Are they dead?
Maybe
Did they keep running?
Maybe.
Are they the Minnesotas?
Maybe

Maybe
Was it a WoB front?
Maybe.
Maybe
Maybe.

TPTB have said the Wolverines and Minnesota Tribe are one and the same. They also said they are not going to say what happened to them, so use them however you want.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #137 on: 06 August 2019, 07:30:22 »
TPTB have said the Wolverines and Minnesota Tribe are one and the same. They also said they are not going to say what happened to them, so use them however you want.

Saying so out of canon is not the same thing AS canon. At best, it reflects current intent which may or may not be adhered to in actual canon. TPTB also stated that the RotS was going to be destroyed but they kept it around once it became popular.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2019, 07:34:39 by Talen5000 »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #138 on: 06 August 2019, 11:19:37 »
Saying so out of canon is not the same thing AS canon. At best, it reflects current intent which may or may not be adhered to in actual canon. TPTB also stated that the RotS was going to be destroyed but they kept it around once it became popular.

Have you read Shattered Sphere? I don't think the RoTS has much time left as anything but a client state.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #139 on: 06 August 2019, 14:06:08 »
Have you read Shattered Sphere? I don't think the RoTS has much time left as anything but a client state.

It was supposed to die about 10-15 years ago game time. The RotS gained a following, and suddenly it wasn't.

Point being the TPTB say a lot of things which may be correct at the time they say I, but which later turns out very differently. And BT is not the only franchise where this happens. Look at Heavy Gear- they suddenly retconned major parts of their storyline because they decided to change direction - for the worse IMO, but still.  Situations change. CGL changes direction. They may think of a better story. The market intervenes. What is said is important....but similarly, it isn't really canon unless it is printed. And sometimes, not even then. Paul Moons death for example - we don't know how much of that remains canon because CGL decided on what they felt was a better plan and decided that ending wouldn't tie their hands.

So - yeah. Great news that a PTB declared the MT to the Wolverines. And if you want to play it that way, great. They'll probably go in that direction. But, you cannot count on it. As I said, in canon, I doubt that confirmation will ever be given.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #140 on: 08 August 2019, 18:20:59 »
Doing a quick read through of Betrayel of Ideals and I think I figured out which unit Star Colonel Franklin Hallis commanded in the beginning of the book. The 102nd Strike Cluster. Beta Galaxy. The unit the Jade Falcons challenged for the Brian Cache. The point commander that got challenged contacted higher authority and Hallis showed up. And who else would show up but his units commander?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 08 August 2019, 18:42:49 »
Although it’s not confirmed it is a good theory.

I mean he could have also been the troubleshooter that McEvedy decided to send to deal with the issue. This could also be a decent theory considering his record especially in light of the fight with the Wolves and his work in discovering the Warch.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #142 on: 08 August 2019, 19:56:45 »
Although it’s not confirmed it is a good theory.

I mean he could have also been the troubleshooter that McEvedy decided to send to deal with the issue. This could also be a decent theory considering his record especially in light of the fight with the Wolves and his work in discovering the Warch.

His discovery of the Watch happened after the the discovery of the Brian Cache and in the Clans I don't see a warrior holding a rank like Star Colonel unless they commanded a actual unit, even that early on in there history. And oddly if my notes are correct while we have names of commanders for several units the 102nd Strike Cluster isn't one of them. Only other named unit without a Star Colonel listed is the 331st Battle Cluster.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 07 December 2019, 22:31:44 »
Do we have the first names for the Clan Wolverine founders?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 07 December 2019, 23:52:02 »
Yes: Confirmed in Operation Klondike. Sarah McEvedy was the original Khan and Dwight Robertson was the original SaKhan.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #145 on: 08 December 2019, 07:18:24 »
Yes: Confirmed in Operation Klondike. Sarah McEvedy was the original Khan and Dwight Robertson was the original SaKhan.
I mean the other founders. I saw on Sarna.net that they have the full names for the founding members of Clan Goliath Scorpions, so that is why I was wondering if there were names for the others.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #146 on: 08 December 2019, 08:34:01 »
Operation Klondike have all the founders name. For the Not-Named look at page 37.

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #147 on: 08 December 2019, 11:13:30 »
What i have to say i told in a greater older Topic
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=11350.180 (last post)

I think the Wolverines should become a force who challange the entire Inner Sphere
with new Battlemech and other new Technologies
i mean not the bad guys i just mean opposide to the IllClan and all others

From where came the information that the Wolverines fight against this Bird Aliens ?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #148 on: 08 December 2019, 12:25:06 »
What i have to say i told in a greater older Topic
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=11350.180 (last post)

I think the Wolverines should become a force who challange the entire Inner Sphere
with new Battlemech and other new Technologies
i mean not the bad guys i just mean opposide to the IllClan and all others

From where came the information that the Wolverines fight against this Bird Aliens ?

FASA used to say the Wolverines were beyond the Rim fighting off the Universes absent aliens. And dincecwe got only one known alien species...

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #149 on: 10 December 2019, 23:15:10 »
FASA used to say the Not Named were beyond the Rim fighting off the Universes absent aliens. And dincecwe got only one known alien species...

I always took that to mean not that they were fighting the Tetatae, but that they were fighting all the aliens we didn't see, and were the reason we would never have to worry about seeing them.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem