Poll

Can militaries use other factions Dropships in a reasonable number?

Yes
5 (31.3%)
No
3 (18.8%)
It’s Your Game!
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Fielding Other Factions Dropships  (Read 931 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Fielding Other Factions Dropships
« on: 02 April 2023, 17:01:32 »
So as the question goes: can a faction field other factions Dropships in a reasonable quantity?

For example could the Lyran’s field a Polaris-class or some Aesirs/Vanirs? Geographically they aren’t that far from the Dominion, but it might be better than the FWL having a couple.

Could the Combine field a couple of the FWL Gorgon-class? They are across the Sphere from each other and haven’t had ‘significant’ relations in a long time (from 3152 point of view).

Mercenaries travel but what about ‘house mercs’: Lexington Combat Group, Illician Lancers, etc: would they have potentially some Capellan and Combine Dropships: salvage exists but what about some Lyran Trutzbergs? Davions haven’t fought the Lyran’s in a while.

I know people will say your game is your game but I’m really just looking at the feasibility, within reason. I’m not saying that the 2nd Davion Guards would have 100 Trutzbergs, or that the 1st Ghost would be exclusively equipped with Aesirs/Vanirs. A handful, a couple, maybe even a single example (as in the case of the Nova Cats and the Noruff).

So hit me with your thoughts: let me know if you’ve thought about this, or not at all. A random plot element or a serious issue.

Alan Grant

• Captain
Re: Fielding Other Factions Dropships
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2023, 17:31:36 »
A small number certainly. All you need is a trade, or a stuck dropship (stuck on the ground, or stuck in space with no jumpship) to surrender to you while overrunning the system it is located in.

Anyone can cough up 1-2 dropships from anywhere.

Bigger/broader than that..... it would make the most sense if they are allies or trading partners. Beyond that I wouldn't see it being that common to have a sizable number of hulls.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2023, 17:34:53 by Alan Grant »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2023, 18:18:28 »
For me it's called the Clan Sea Fox anything can be fielded anywhere
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2023, 11:11:36 »
What always got me was the Warden Wolves fielding the Miraborg and Mercer in enough numbers to warrant being on the 3067 FMU RAT even with both being new DS.  The Invasion Clan clusters that became the Wardens had a lot of JS & DS already, wonder what exactly they traded to get those new ships?  Huh, maybe that is where their excess jumpship assets went- to get more combat dropships.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register