Author Topic: IIC Aerospace Fighters  (Read 1333 times)

Charistoph

• Major
IIC Aerospace Fighters
« on: 06 April 2023, 17:44:10 »
So, we have seen a lot of IIC Battlemechs, and even Dropships.  But why haven't we seen much in the way of IIC Aerospace Fighters?

Is it because they are for PDCs and stayed back in the Homeworlds?

Is it because they have met their design limits and it was encumbant to replace them all with Omnifighters?

Is it because the design team just never thought about/got around to it because the reception of Aerotech was relatively lackluster?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: IIC Aerospace Fighters
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2023, 17:50:48 »
There are a couple of IICs the Mongooses Chippewa comes to mind as does the Cheetah, the Gotha and Goth are basically IICs. The developers didn't put as much emphasis on them or in the space game in general. Also attrition is a beast and only a few clans used aerospace regularly enough to mention. It's probably that lots of Trials wiped out most of their SLDF legacy units

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2023, 18:00:27 »
Personally? I think the old SLDF fighters by and large didn't inspire the same kind of "we want to hold on to a piece of that" that some of the mechs did. Machines like the Orion and Marauder and Highlander really held a place in mechwarrior memories and they wanted to retain some of that.

By comparison it doesn't seem like they were nearly as nostalgic about the SLDF ASFs.

Perhaps it's because some of them are still flying around. They pop up all over the place in the second-line aerospace RATs of the Clans.

So maybe, especially with Royal variants, they felt like those were a good enough remembrance of that piece of SLDF legacy? And that anything new they were going to be build should actually be something totally new.

That being said, I still don't get why they didn't get a partial clan tech refit at least. SLDF weapons don't use the same ammo as Clan weapons, so you'd think it would simplify logistics at least to have all the missiles and autocannons firing the same stuff. But perhaps I'm just being too practical.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2023, 19:48:25 »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2023, 15:51:19 »
You're maybe forgetting the EC Jellico?

Wouldn't they be a IIC variant? After all that's what progress is... Either Royal, EC or the rare older Omni for Solahma / Secondliners and the best Omnitech for Frontliners.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016