Author Topic: Let's talk about the upcoming new BattleTech magazine (Kickstarter stretch goal)  (Read 8714 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
:rant:

Not some fan...like Blaine Pardoe?
Like Loren Coleman?
Like Randall Bills?

Exactly! Not some old fan: Some new fan who has great ideas and can write good well.  ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Fans could already submit stories to BC. They got fact checked and edited (if they met the quality criteria), just like they will here.
Before I started writing sourcebook material I had a couple of stories I submitted to BattleCorps. They didn't make it through for various reasons, but that didn't stop me from trying.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
That said, when I talk about a professional level story.
I am referring to someone who has the ability (granted by CGL) to change the dynamics of the overall Battletech universe.
Not some company level unit on a backwater farming world that we will never see or hear from again after the story.
I am talking about Victor Davion, Anastasius Focht, Aiden Pryde level stories.
Stories that advance the plot or tell a origin story of a person or unit that is important to the Battletech universe.
I personally don't find day in the life of stories that interesting, or engaging in the Battletech universe.

Okay, that's not going to happen for several reasons:

First, there are short stories the magazine will be publishing, not novels. There's no room for major plot advancements or "change the dynamics of the overall Battletech universe" as you describe. Most of these stories will be "grunt-level" view of the action, with cannon characters mostly on the edges.

Second, most canon characters already have major plot arcs established for them, so they can't just pop up in a story without making sure it doesn't conflict with those plot arcs. Continuity is important, and it takes a talented writer to drop a story about a canon character into their arc without disturbing everything that comes before and after that. In all the BC stories I can think of, only one does that well -- Jason Hansa's "Irreplaceable." In all the Battletech short stories I've written, I've used major canon characters twice, both as supporting characters.

Third, there are trillions of people in the Inner Sphere, people who have their own stories to tell. It's a hell of a lot easier to tell John Smith's story than Hanse Davion's, because John Smith isn't locked into a character arc -- he can do or feel whatever the story needs him to do, within the confines of the Universal events. Major canon characters as you describe, drive the universe's stories and create the backdrop for thousands of stories to unfold.

Fourth, Major events are what the novels are for. The Clan invasion wouldn't have worked as just short stories, but the novels allowed scores of Clan Invasion-era short stories to be written, stories that couldn't be told in the novels. It deepens the Universe, and that has always been one of Battletech's strength. The lack of novels is the one thing that really hurts the Jihad era -- there is no major view of the events that once can read to see the "bird's-eye view" of things. The short stories only give the reader glimpses of what happened.

Yes, there are many characters who have a moment in the spotlight in a single story, but that's the nature of storytelling. Sometimes, a single story is all the character has, one that defines that character. And sometimes, that character doesn't walk away but decides to hang around for a little longer, sparking another story and another.; Not every character can be a ruler or a major hero, but not every character needs to be.

Craig
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 07:49:46 by trboturtle »
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Frabby

• Major
My point is, if I am going to pay for it I want professional writing, and useful content.
Not some fans writing that has been fact checked, edited and called canon.
I want scenario created by CGL not a fan of the game.
The point is I am going to eventually have to pay for this magazine (I get the first 2 free do to pledge level) and I want it to be worth my money.
The content of BattleCorps was the reason I never subscribed.
And if the first 2 issues of this magazine don't show that their worth my money then I won't be subscribing to it either.
I don't want a "Hall of Fire" or "Beyond the Final Frontier" Fan magazine, I want a "Pyramid" or "Challenge" professional level magazine if I am going to pay for it.
The magazine will feature fiction written by fans. Which describes every piece of BT fiction ever written by anyone.

Beyond that point, my impression is that you're confusing fiction written by fans with "fan fiction" in the sense of a derogatory term for poor stories. I haven't read every last BattleCorps story, but I cannot think of a single one BattleCorps publication that was "fan fiction" levels of bad. So I'd be very interested to hear what BattleCorps content made you never subscribe (and how so).
I've been through the BC factchecking and editing process with four story submissinos and found it to be very thorough. I also distinctly recall the managing editor complaining about how most submissions in his slush pile simply weren't up to publication. Whatever you think about its demise, to this day I cannot sing BattleCorps's praise high enough for never lowering the bar, right through to the end and even when they were desperate for qualtiy stories.

So to sum it up, the problems you proclaim never existed for BattleCorps.
Only a small handful of pieces in the final few BattleTechnology magazines were oddball "fan fiction" stuff. I can't speak for MechForce Quarterly.
There is no reason to assume this new magazine will be even one iota lower on the quality scale than any other official BattleTech publication - novel, anthology, or otherwise. And that explicitly includes the notion that they will consider fan submissions.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
To expand on that: Even established writers can get turned down, when they don't meet quality standards. I had a planed multi part series get turned down, because it sounded "too German", meaning my grammar lapsed into German grammar and it would have been too much editing hours to get that straightened out.
I read over it afterwards ... and I agree. Something I have to be careful with when writing longer texts in English. But also something that shows just how high the quality standards are. Even yellow beemers can get rejected, because of it.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
If I can pile on from another direction.

Geoff Johns, the man who's done so much work redefining the DC Mythos over the last decade or so was first published in a Superboy Comic.

In the letter column.

So yes, fans become professionals in all mediums.

Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Beyond that point, my impression is that you're confusing fiction written by fans with "fan fiction" in the sense of a derogatory term for poor stories. I haven't read every last BattleCorps story, but I cannot think of a single one BattleCorps publication that was "fan fiction" levels of bad. So I'd be very interested to hear what BattleCorps content made you never subscribe (and how so).

I'm still mad they rejected my story where it turned out that Barton Avellar was a Highlander and was secretly controlling the Inner Sphere through his use of SuperDuperHPG to communicate with his MindSlaves in real time.

It was very tasteful.

Geoff Johns, the man who's done so much work redefining the DC Mythos over the last decade or so was first published in a Superboy Comic.

In the letter column.

George RR Martin too - had a letter published in the Fantastic Four, IIRC.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I am curious if Victor ever looked at the submission guidelines for BC?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Well, from a company that is always complaining about page count on the Shadowrun side, then puts in 40 pages of short pointless stories in the corebook.
I see short stories that do nothing for the universe other then tell the story of Bob's marauder's, some two bit merc company on a backwater farm planet, to be a waste of space and time.
To me these types of stories are "fan fiction", as "Bob's marauder's" will never be a major player in the Inner Sphere, and after this one story no one is ever going to hear about them again or even care. This is just a love letter to someones personal mech unit that I couldn't care less about.
My guess is the magazine is not going to be that large and if 1/4 to 1/2 of it is wasted by these types of stories I won't be subscribing.

And even on the novel side, for every "Way of the Clans" there is a "Freebirth".
So my opinion of submission guidelines for battletech is not the highest sometimes.

Frabby

• Major
We'll have to agree to disagree on our preferred stories then.

Some people prefer the Stackpole-style "throne room" top-down view on the BT universe.
Others prefer the Keith-style "in the trenches" bottom up view.

Some prefer lance sized battles and others prefer regiment sized battles.

Your taste and preferences are as valid as mine. But I do think the magazine will focus on the small odd pieces that bring the universe to life, not the spine novel stuff.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
I see short stories that do nothing for the universe other then tell the story of Bob's marauder's, some two bit merc company on a backwater farm planet, to be a waste of space and time.
To me these types of stories are "fan fiction", as "Bob's marauder's" will never be a major player in the Inner Sphere, and after this one story no one is ever going to hear about them again or even care. This is just a love letter to someones personal mech unit that I couldn't care less about.

By that measure, Casablanca would qualify as a WW2 "fanfic" because it didn't end with the Battle of El Alamein, instead focusing on a two-bit saloon proprietor. Who is going to care about Rick Blaine, Louis Renault, Viktor and Ilsa Lund, Sam, Ugarte or Major Strasser? Obviously we're never going to hear from them again. And they'd never be major players in World War Two. Especially Strasser and Ugarte because they dead. 

In the letter column.

To pile on your example, Peter Capaldi was first heard from writing in to a Doctor Who fan magazine at something like age 13. Three guesses where ended up much, much later...

People have to start somewhere, they're not just hatched fully-fledged professionals from the head of Zeus.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 14:52:46 by Pat Payne »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
What kind of magazines Battle Technology and MechForce Quarterly were?

From the former, i've understood it had fiction, new 'Mechs, but what kind of it was overall? And what kind of was the latter one?

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
The plan is to use all-new content. This magazine will not be recycled BC stories. That said, we do intend to make the BC catalog available at some point, but this quarterly magazine will not be that vehicle.

Thank you
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
The plan is to use all-new content. This magazine will not be recycled BC stories. That said, we do intend to make the BC catalog available at some point, but this quarterly magazine will not be that vehicle.

What about recycled BattleCorps writers? ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns

And even on the novel side, for every "Way of the Clans" there is a "Freebirth".
So my opinion of submission guidelines for battletech is not the highest sometimes.

One of the first bits in the guidelines that I recall was something along the lines of "This is not a pathway for your personal unit's glorification/canonization."

What is funny is that BC was how they released some pretty big development stories- I was thinking of young Kerensky and the Wolverine story, and some did develop into foundations for big events-  IIRC Star Seeds were part of the WWE as part of the Jihad and the Chaos Irregulars had stories added to get them into place.  I think there might have been more but I did not play in that WWE.

But personally I am fine with the low level stories . . . after all, Audie Murphy was no one before . . . and was not involved in any world shaking events after his actions, but the story of what he did has been retold (and allows the Army to rib the crap out of the Marines!) and IIRC at least one movie.  I watched Memphis Belle- what did the crew go on to do as individuals?  Or the Rangers that went to Pointe du Hoc.  Not every military action is the Alamo, Thermopylae, or Dunkirk in the effect or impact.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
One of the first bits in the guidelines that I recall was something along the lines of "This is not a pathway for your personal unit's glorification/canonization."

What is funny is that BC was how they released some pretty big development stories- I was thinking of young Kerensky and the Wolverine story, and some did develop into foundations for big events-  IIRC Star Seeds were part of the WWE as part of the Jihad and the Chaos Irregulars had stories added to get them into place.  I think there might have been more but I did not play in that WWE.

But personally I am fine with the low level stories . . . after all, Audie Murphy was no one before . . . and was not involved in any world shaking events after his actions, but the story of what he did has been retold (and allows the Army to rib the crap out of the Marines!) and IIRC at least one movie.  I watched Memphis Belle- what did the crew go on to do as individuals?  Or the Rangers that went to Pointe du Hoc.  Not every military action is the Alamo, Thermopylae, or Dunkirk in the effect or impact.

Saving Private Ryan is also similarly small in scope (though it does have them involved in D-day, it is not the focus).
Where Eagles Dare might be a good example too.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
What kind of magazines Battle Technology and MechForce Quarterly were?

From the former, i've understood it had fiction, new 'Mechs, but what kind of it was overall? And what kind of was the latter one?

Both had a mix of unofficial supplementary rules, new designs, scenarios, short stories, in-universe news, product previews, and strategy tips.  MechForce, being linked to the fan club, also listed rankings based on member scores at sanctioned events.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I'm just glad to see BattleTechnology being discussed past the first post.  I also never subscribed to BC, but that was because it was clear the focus was well past 3025.  I personally prefer the "small" stories ("low" fantasy, if you prefer).  As others here have said, the BT universe has TRILLIONS of people in it.  99.99999999999% of them (give or take an order of magnitude or two) aren't Hanse Davion.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I'm just glad to see BattleTechnology being discussed past the first post.  I also never subscribed to BC, but that was because it was clear the focus was well past 3025.

Yeah . . . no.

It had pre-Invasion stories (I think one of the most depressing was a Andurien Succession story), it had Star League, periphery . . . it actually had no era focus, though I know some of the Anthologies did- one specifically dealt with the WoB/Jihad IIRC.
Colt Ward

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Huh, with my usual immaculate timing I submitted and had two stories accepted by BattleCorps immediately before they closed shop forever. That said, I'd still be up for contributing to a new publication. If you've read any of my stuff in the fan fiction section, you'll know I'll all about the small-scale, in the trenches stuff. Any idea what the submission process is going to be, or we still a long way off from that?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Not sure they would be any different than BattleCorp, except for perhaps length.
Colt Ward

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
Personally I'm picturing White Dwarf (the GW/Warhammer house mag), at least the way I remember it 20 years ago:

ComStar section
-Editorial
-Letters

Features
-5-10 page fiction
-Chaos Campaign track
-Era/faction/battle report(s)
-Paint/model how-to

Extras
-1-3 page fiction
-Mech variant
-Mechwarrior/Noble/General/etc profile
-Planet data
-Unit profile/paint scheme
-Mini pics (CamoSpec and/or submitted)
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 22:42:15 by EthrDemon »

Sigil

• Lieutenant
I would love to see "Tales from the Cobalt Coil" live again.  That series consistently ranked among the best sections of the old BT magazines.  I loved it so much I wrote a "#13".  Whatever this ultimately proves to be, I'm excited about it!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Yeah . . . no.

It had pre-Invasion stories (I think one of the most depressing was a Andurien Succession story), it had Star League, periphery . . . it actually had no era focus, though I know some of the Anthologies did- one specifically dealt with the WoB/Jihad IIRC.
Thanks for clearing that up... score -1 for marketing?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Huh, with my usual immaculate timing I submitted and had two stories accepted by BattleCorps immediately before they closed shop forever. That said, I'd still be up for contributing to a new publication. If you've read any of my stuff in the fan fiction section, you'll know I'll all about the small-scale, in the trenches stuff. Any idea what the submission process is going to be, or we still a long way off from that?

Nothing so far. Tptb have to figure it out, but I would assume the Pledge Manager and managing Wave 1 has priority right now.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Thanks for clearing that up... score -1 for marketing?

Except that their free 'samples' had two lead up to Jihad, one from FWL-LC in 3020s, one from First GB-DC war, one FCCW, and a FCCW era that was a intro for TRO PP mechs (sort of).  They said in the front end that it would have material from all eras though it was used as a novel substitute for the Jihad.
Colt Ward

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Huh, with my usual immaculate timing I submitted and had two stories accepted by BattleCorps immediately before they closed shop forever.

DM JoeChummer and remind him the titles of those stories. (Or DM me and I'll pass the message along.) No recycled BC content could still allow for accepted-by-BC-but-never-published content. If they were accepted, there must have been something there.

Any idea what the submission process is going to be, or we still a long way off from that?

We're a long way off from that. Plans are still coming together.

Not sure they would be any different than BattleCorp, except for perhaps length.

No one except for John Helfers and JoeChummer are in a place to speculate on that. The general guidelines of BC (i.e., not a vehicle for your homebrew unit, proofread your sentences, etc.) is a fair guess, but beyond that, it's still coming together.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Sure, length & era are going to be specific to needs but the professional standards would be the same.
Colt Ward

Highball

• Master Sergeant
I would love to see "Tales from the Cobalt Coil" live again.  That series consistently ranked among the best sections of the old BT magazines.  I loved it so much I wrote a "#13".  Whatever this ultimately proves to be, I'm excited about it!

I agree here
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
No one except for John Helfers and JoeChummer are in a place to speculate on that.

I have only recently come back to the forums, who are these two chaps? They are new names to me.

Register