Author Topic: A shout out to people who have to put up with their family's/flock-mate' animals  (Read 654 times)

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
So today I was playing with my wife's dog, a stunnigly strong bastard with malamute blood. Here I point out I get double the fun for we have two. My wife's bastard and my daughter's small terrier. Thank god, the smaller dog can't do much damage else then throw up on my daugther's bed in the middle of the night prompting a call to battle stations.

So, start playing with said dog who starts going crazy like always as it doesn't move enough as my wife is crippled and can't exercise it much. Bastard jumps on the reading chair in the corner and smashes it into the bay window. Big bloody crack. Bloody, bloody, bloody hell. Bloody, bloody, drippind bleedy bloody hell.

Thinking about just filling up the wall. Windows are insanely costly.

Darn animals. Anybody else got one of those story's to vent?

elf25s

• Major
i have reverse situation animal magnet that is me
my neighbors cats and dogs park themselves at my door so in morning i almost kill myself trying not to trip...it got so bad i left a pet bed at my door and my neighbors wait for my call imstead of looking for them
my favorite is when they manage to get in past me and refuse to leave... or fight their owners when refusing to leave...

still the worst one was when my friend had emergency and i got stuck babysitting their cat... for almost a year that thing would run away from their home and end up at my place 3 days later,,,,dirty and covered in mud

you just have to content with rumboucious happy animals i end up with obsessed animals be happy frankly i would trade places with you and have your pets instead

btw my visiting crow i found it dead yesterday...it used to drop off gifts on my window sill
i will miss the conversations with it...sweet bird will miss it it loved apples and bananas for some reason but was not above a ham sandwich treat but still liked apples more...go figure
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
While I'm at it. Oh this one shall entertain you my big stompy robot loving friends.

'Twas 'round this time of the year as snow settles in before being washed down with rain that shall surely transform roads into so many outdoor skating rinks. We'd goten a nice lloking christmas trree, 'twas before they started selling them 50$ a piece. The thrice-darned bloody bastard was still considerable as a pup and was still putty training. Unfortunately for her, at that time, the whole family would drive to a nearby town for our activitys, whether work or kindergarden, leaving the dogs alone for about 12 hours per day.

Evidently, the bastard not being cared for sufficiently during the day would piss and crap 'round the house, so I had the idea of chaining it near the doorway. It don't give milk, it don't give meat, might as well guard the house since times are hard and we got young hoodlums stealing from houses 'round my parts.

So one day we come back, everyone spent, and it was just like in a Beethoven movie. The bastard had managed to gather up the christmas tree and the whole kitch table and chair with its chain. Everyting tied up. Needless to say, the whole shebang was soiled with the dog's solid and liquid rejects. MEEEEEERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

elf25s

• Major
While I'm at it. Oh this one shall entertain you my big stompy robot loving friends.

'Twas 'round this time of the year as snow settles in before being washed down with rain that shall surely transform roads into so many outdoor skating rinks. We'd goten a nice lloking christmas trree, 'twas before they started selling them 50$ a piece. The thrice-darned bloody bastard was still considerable as a pup and was still putty training. Unfortunately for her, at that time, the whole family would drive to a nearby town for our activitys, whether work or kindergarden, leaving the dogs alone for about 12 hours per day.

Evidently, the bastard not being cared for sufficiently during the day would piss and crap 'round the house, so I had the idea of chaining it near the doorway. It don't give milk, it don't give meat, might as well guard the house since times are hard and we got young hoodlums stealing from houses 'round my parts.

So one day we come back, everyone spent, and it was just like in a Beethoven movie. The bastard had managed to gather up the christmas tree and the whole kitch table and chair with its chain. Everyting tied up. Needless to say, the whole shebang was soiled with the dog's solid and liquid rejects. MEEEEEERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!
lol
sorry but it was funny and it was not my problem of course it would be funny
but i bet you would not trade the furry crite for anything no matter what...right?

speaking of christmas tree my neighbor noticed i never ever decorate a tree and if asked i avoid it
so he asked...so my answer was i used to decorate a tree enjoyed it too until christmas tree ate the cat
see my roomate had a cat he used to cut and bring his own tree it was his family thing
so he got the tree we got decorating when the owl that was in the tree flew out of it and caught and ate his cat
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Oh, yeah.  Got lots.

My wife - not a small woman, not a light woman, with 5 knee surgeries under her belt, wants a large dog.  Great Pyrenees/Black Lab.  Some kind of mountain dog cross.  Finds it, fights a guerrilla war to get her way.  Kids whine, she whines, "Fine!  I don't care, I'm not taking care of it, and I'm not picking up it's poop!"

Drive to the farm.  2 1/2 hours each way.  Let the kids pick; they pick the biggest by about a 1/2", the only one to run up to them and jump up on them and play with them.

Pay the bill.  Thank GOD I'm driving.  Dog Freaks out, jumps out of my wife's lap in a moving vehicle, nose in the kid's faces, tail whacking the backs of the front bucket seats and our arms, barking like its seeing the only home its ever seen vanish and throwing giant wads of spittle everywhere.

I actually had to pull over, put the leash back on, and block it in.  Too bad the trunk was full, because 5 minutes later the floor was wet.  Then, he puked.  And he barked and whined all the way home.

Finally get home.  Open the doors, kids jump out, drag the dog on the leash.  BAAADD IDEA.  Dog takes off, looking for home, dragging two of them, tree saved them from getting to the sidewalk.  Shoulder-checks the wife across the knees.  She's down for the count, swearing.

I finally get over there, grab the leash.  Damn dog puts up a good fight but I sit on him, then lift him up and carry his squirming ass into the house.

And that is how it became, 'Your dog.'  Lucky me.

Incidentally, it turns out the farmer lied to my wife, or just made a mistake.  Its not a Pyrenees/lab mix; its a spitting image of a Great DANE/Black Lab.  130 lbs, 1 meter tall (about 36 1/2") on all fours.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

elf25s

• Major
and i bet you a donut that no matter what you will not give that dog up...

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
and i bet you a donut that no matter what you will not give that dog up...

WRONG!  No!  GIVE ME THAT DONUT!

I don't dislike him, but I'm the only one that can handle him or command him, and he gave me a pectoral sprain just last month pulling his special muzzle/lead up to keep the muzzle closed so he couldn't bite another dog in the alley off the leash behind the house.

Ironically, he pulls me off my feet if I'm unprepared, but he's better mannered for the kids.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
leaving the dogs alone for about 12 hours per day
This! This is why I don't have a dog.  :headbang:
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
This one is not about my pets, but it fits the theme.

A couple years back, I was selling christmas trees. It was fun, you get a small gllmpse into other people's holiday traditions, all good. Over here, there are two kinds of trees generally sold as christmas tree: one is faster growing (therefore cheaper), has prickly needles and loses their needles faster. The other, somewhat more expensive variaty has rounder, softer needles.

Every once in a while a customer would start off by telling me they had a cat. Those cats would always love jumping in to and knocking down the trees. Thus is the way of the cat. So these guys (it was always men) ask for the most prickly tree possible, to dissuade their cats from playing their traditional part. I'm sure if they would have gotten away with it, they would have opted for some kind of cacti.

I have the same cat-related talk a couple of times and it always goes the same: give me cheap and with razor sharp needles.

So one day this guy comes in, starts right off with "My girlfriend had this cat and it likes to jump into christmas trees..." I immediately start pointing him towards the prickly trees and he goes nonono, why would I do something like that? "Give me one with nice, soft needles. We've switched to indestructable christmas ornaments. So what if the cat knocks the tree down? We just put it back up. Let the cat have its fun."
Jude Melancon lives!

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
lol
sorry but it was funny and it was not my problem of course it would be funny
but i bet you would not trade the furry crite for anything no matter what...right?

On the spot it was horrible, thinking back I find it quite amusing myself (hence why I shared that one). But indeed, wouldn't want to get rid of it. It's too important a companion for everyone, even if I swear against it a hundred times a day and the little terrier is constantly wrestled around . Besides, dogs with intelligent eyes are always keepers, even if they do try your patience daily.

Ironically, he pulls me off my feet if I'm unprepared, but he's better mannered for the kids.

I've always found fascinating how dogs tune down their roughhousing nature with kids. Had a bastard lab (father unknown as often the case, but really looked and behaved like a lab) as a kid. Dang good puller also, once pulled it's doghouse, of solid manufacture, for...oh over 400 meters I'd say? Over big rocks part of the way. Would try to take the soulder of my father out of it's socket also, but with me, there was always a lump in the leash. Gosh they're dumb, but they can be surprising.

guardiandashi

• Major
On the spot it was horrible, thinking back I find it quite amusing myself (hence why I shared that one). But indeed, wouldn't want to get rid of it. It's too important a companion for everyone, even if I swear against it a hundred times a day and the little terrier is constantly wrestled around . Besides, dogs with intelligent eyes are always keepers, even if they do try your patience daily.

I've always found fascinating how dogs tune down their roughhousing nature with kids. Had a bastard lab (father unknown as often the case, but really looked and behaved like a lab) as a kid. Dang good puller also, once pulled it's doghouse, of solid manufacture, for...oh over 400 meters I'd say? Over big rocks part of the way. Would try to take the soulder of my father out of it's socket also, but with me, there was always a lump in the leash. Gosh they're dumb, but they can be surprising.
some of that is based on the personality of the dog.

with that said, a lot of dogs tend to acknowledge that there are adults and "puppies" they moderate their behavior and put up with things from "puppies" that they won't accept from adults.

I currently have 2 dogs, my first is a senior (she is ~10-11years old) husky she has always been VERY alpha especially towards other dogs. but she submits to people especially me.

my second dog is an ~6 month old husky pup, he still has some training issues like he likes to believe that nipping is the language of love or something.
I keep telling him "I am NOT a chew toy" but he doesn't believe me.

with that said the senior dog has for years been protective of "people puppies" and other puppies. in addition dogs that accept her dominance she gets along well with

elf25s

• Major
when i was a kid i had a hamster a russian teddy bear hamster it lived for almost 4 years which is about year plus more than normal...he was just too mean to die...
well he was toilet trained and i lived in a 2 bedroom flat with my mum.... so he had a full run of the flat and would always sleep i  his cage which i always left open. well he had a very sociable personality and loved to wrestle over his food...funny unless you wrestle with him even if it was his favorite treat he would not eat it he also liked to drink tea along with milk but never at same time
several things come to mind why he was mean...one time when he was about a year old took him outside to play in sandbox promptly he killed a sparrow...the darn thing kept trying to peck him...he jumped and bit that bird right through the chest before i could do anything and killed it
one time when he was getting used to the flat we had mouse infestation from the neighbors...since he was always loose he did a better job of controlling the infestation than a cat which he seemed to adore and would sleep with during daytime they knew each other sine before cat opened its eyes so being territorial little shit he would hunt and drag corpses of mice in the middle of kitchen to my mothers eternal annoyance and screams...she was afraid of mice cat just did not care...was never taught to hunt mice....
one time he took on my neighbors german shephard...that poor dog he bit and would not let go of dogs nose apparently the dog was sniffing him from curiousity my hamster screeched which meant dont bug me leave me alone or its fafo time dog did not heed the warning hamster bit dogs nose and would not let go i had to pry him off to dogs eternal gratitude...that dog never tried sniffing my hamster again...
when he got older he would sleep with me in my armpit while i was reading...i miss him to this day
btw my mother was not fond of him she said he looked like a tailless mouse and she hated mice...until he started killing them and leaving them as gifts

Orion

• Warrant Officer
I once had a chocolate lab.  High energy, loved to play - normal for the breed.  We're outside and he comes running over to me.  Jumps up and his head hits me in the ribs.  I hear a "pop" and immediately know that I just separated a rib!  I loved him, but that bone-head was dangerous.

Raised miniature goats for years.  They were all pets, had names, loved being petted.  I'm helping the wife shear a sheep that wasn't shedding properly - down on my knees, ass in the air.  Our billy just couldn't resist the target and nailed me.  I lost it...he keeps coming at me and I won't back down.  He weighed all of 80 pounds but wouldn't back down either.  Finally I walked away one direction and he went the other.  He wasn't hurt....I broke a bone in my foot and had to wear a boot for 6 weeks.  An hour after the commotion I was back out in the stable.  He comes up to me, rubs against my leg, and I scratch his ears.  We were both blooming idiots that day. 
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.