Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217696 times)

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #870 on: 21 May 2018, 10:14:15 »
It’s ‘early next week’, we can has previews? ;)

By the way, the graphics design on the terrain is on point.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #871 on: 24 May 2018, 20:04:13 »
Production on the new box sets is underway, and they're crammed full of so much new stuff that it didn't all fit. To tide you over until their release, here are a bunch of the new Mechwarrior Cards and accompanying "standee" 'Mechs for you to try out at your next game!

Download your free preview content here: https://tinyurl.com/BoxSetPreview.

(To be clear: three of these 10 cards--Yuuya Saito, Danny Hubbard, and Kaspar Masaharu--as well as the standees available here will not be included in either box set. The other seven Mechwarrior Cards will be in the BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat boxed set. And remember, both boxes will include high-quality plastic miniatures as well as punch-out cardboard 'Mechs.)

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #872 on: 24 May 2018, 20:13:41 »
Looking good. :)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #873 on: 24 May 2018, 20:25:42 »
And before a bunch of people point it out: yes, there's a typo on the Yuuya Saito card. Because they were not included in the final box set, they didn't get quite the editing pass (uh, from me, actually) that the others did.

We'll look at correcting and re-uploading the card in the near future.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #874 on: 24 May 2018, 20:26:53 »
Looking goodAwesome. :)

Fixed for you  :thumbsup: ^-^

Great job CGL, it is looking like an "awesome" year for Battletech.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #875 on: 24 May 2018, 20:45:37 »
Thanks for working so hard on this stuff Cubby and crew!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #876 on: 24 May 2018, 20:46:59 »
Fixed for you  :thumbsup: ^-^

Great job CGL, it is looking like an "awesome" year for Battletech.

I'm still being grumpy until I've got the boxed sets in my hands. ;)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #877 on: 24 May 2018, 20:53:35 »
Print out the standee pdf from Cubby's link and make some standees, it will make you less grumpy  :thumbsup:
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #878 on: 24 May 2018, 21:33:07 »
I was wondering if that was possible . . . might also be good set ups for getting attention at FLGS & local cons- Print a stand up or two in larger sizes to be eye catching . . . Kind of thinking a Battlemaster or Shadow Hawk will be best for that . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #879 on: 24 May 2018, 21:47:32 »
Hmm, 3 Dracs in that 10 and no Cappies?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #880 on: 24 May 2018, 22:08:41 »
Am I the only one that's grateful that Danny Hubbard didn't make the cut?

An effective 0 gunner in an assault mech seems like something you should earn rather than something you pull right out of the box.  :D
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #881 on: 24 May 2018, 22:40:58 »
Are sprinting and extreme weapon ranges going to be part of the base rules now?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #882 on: 24 May 2018, 22:54:45 »
Are sprinting and extreme weapon ranges going to be part of the base rules now?
I would guess no but i do wonder if the new box set rulebook is gonna include optional rules or not, like BMM does?

Funny enough but Sprinting optional rule is present in the BMM but Extreme Range is not.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #883 on: 24 May 2018, 22:55:04 »
the text appears to be rewritten from the PSA descriptions in Campaign Operations and the advanced rules stuff is likely included for completeness. the rulebook for the box set is a pretty slim (48 pages iirc?) so there probably isn't going to be much beyond the basest of base rules

also, when I loaded the PDF of the pilot cards, it loaded all the different layers separately and caught a glimpse of the near-completely covered background

« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 23:05:13 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #884 on: 25 May 2018, 04:59:16 »
Those are beautiful. Thank you for sharing
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #885 on: 25 May 2018, 08:37:57 »
Mm... oh yeah.  Daddy likes.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #886 on: 25 May 2018, 09:30:13 »
the text appears to be rewritten from the PSA descriptions in Campaign Operations and the advanced rules stuff is likely included for completeness. the rulebook for the box set is a pretty slim (48 pages iirc?) so there probably isn't going to be much beyond the basest of base rules

Correct.

So, full disclosure, I was one of the two writers who did the MechWarrior Cards. (The other was Geoff "Doc" Swift, a regular BT contributor as well.) And the directive was that the cards should be usable at all levels of the game, to the maximum extent possible. Which makes sense--the last thing you want is someone who just picked up the Beginner Box to not be able to understand and play with absolutely everything in the box.

But that created some challenges in our selection of the SPAs, especially on the cards in the Beginner Box. Something like "Natural Grace" (CO, p. 78) is a great, flavorful ability. But it touches on a lot of rules that aren't in the very first product a new player would pick up. (To say nothing of the amount of text that ability comes with, that needs to be crammed onto a card.)

It took some finagling, and not everything is 100 percent compliant to the rules in one box or the other, but I think we got close.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #887 on: 25 May 2018, 09:39:55 »
I am still wondering at having a effective 0 gunner in a Awesome . . . which for 3025 is one of the more effective assaults.
Colt Ward

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #888 on: 25 May 2018, 09:53:10 »
I am still wondering at having a effective 0 gunner in a Awesome . . . which for 3025 is one of the more effective assaults.

Yeah lights better keep out of LOS of that thing. if it parks, then 0+range+light movement is still likely to be only on 6s and 7s.  But... the BV2 of an awesome plus that pilot would be horrendous!  1600BV2 base, plus 60% or so for the P/G skils, so about 2100BV2, then the special pilot abilities on top.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #889 on: 25 May 2018, 09:57:52 »

As long as the cost of the unit is very high, I don't see a problem with it.

It isn't like you would want the pilot of your heavyweight, long-range sniper to have be a lousy shot. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #890 on: 25 May 2018, 10:03:02 »
Well, the pilot is already a elite gunner though piloting is 'veteran' -its within the TW pilot rolls for randomly determining.  Its just with that ability on the card he is now as good or better shot than a lot of named elite characters in BT . . . and that is the only type weapon on that mech.  I guess I just want a veteran vs veteran fight without a nobody uber showing up.  Besides, is such a SPA even paid for in BV?
Colt Ward

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #891 on: 25 May 2018, 11:12:09 »
Well, the pilot is already a elite gunner though piloting is 'veteran' -its within the TW pilot rolls for randomly determining.  Its just with that ability on the card he is now as good or better shot than a lot of named elite characters in BT . . . and that is the only type weapon on that mech.  I guess I just want a veteran vs veteran fight without a nobody uber showing up.  Besides, is such a SPA even paid for in BV?

It stands to reason that the ace pilots in the fiction/novels/sourcebooks/etc are not the only ones we know about.

It also stands to reason that, if that Awesome is a family heirloom like the card suggests, he would have a lot of experience using it, to the point where he is intimately familiar with all of its quirks and shortcomings and oddities and operations.  Besides, if I am reading the card correctly, there is nothing that says he MUST be in an Awesome.  It just says that he gets a bonus when firing a PPC.  So, if his Awesome gets shot out from under him, and the only replacement ride he can find is a Jagermech, he is screwed. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #892 on: 25 May 2018, 11:31:30 »

Just go snuggle with him. He can't use that Small Laser like Aiden Pryde.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #893 on: 25 May 2018, 12:04:56 »
As long as the cost of the unit is very high, I don't see a problem with it.

It isn't like you would want the pilot of your heavyweight, long-range sniper to have be a lousy shot.

And doesn't the Box come with a Battlemaster?  The pilot for that could be well balanced against it.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #894 on: 25 May 2018, 12:18:04 »

I agree, but the first set of cards teased also seemed very strong. If everything is on a similar level, then it may work out OK.

I just hope some of the light 'mech pilots bring something to avoid getting mowed down too quickly.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #895 on: 25 May 2018, 12:36:22 »
I am looking forward to the new box set for the new style of Miniatures. 

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #896 on: 26 May 2018, 09:56:13 »
And doesn't the Box come with a Battlemaster?  The pilot for that could be well balanced against it.

By the time the Battlemaster gets close, it (should) be pretty chewed up, but once it’s in that sweet spot the awesome is going to have to start boxing or backing up.

Either way, hot mech-on-mech action :)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #897 on: 26 May 2018, 11:49:24 »
Current;y I do not believe that SPAs have a BV cost associated with them. Do remember though that the SPAs are also an optional rule so you don't have to use it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #898 on: 26 May 2018, 12:56:24 »
Highly unfortunate both quirks and SPAs lack proper balancing methods.
Interesting stuff, but some of them have massive impact on things, both positively and negatively.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #899 on: 26 May 2018, 12:58:55 »
The SPAs will probably balance as a separate budget from BV, since the spoiler card we see gives a cost to the SPAs that pilot possesses.

I get x amount of BV, and you get that same x.

I get y amount of SPAs, and you get that same y.

Register