Author Topic: Restoring the Small Laser to "glory"?  (Read 1018 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Restoring the Small Laser to "glory"?
« on: 01 January 2024, 12:44:52 »
So, a lot of TRO entries state the the Small Laser is great for dealing with Infantry.  For those of us who never dealt with Infantry until Total Warfare, this seems to be an odd statement.  (Personal note: I've played off and on since the 90s, but I didn't work with anything but Mechs until BattleClix and Total Warfare.)  For right now, all the Small Laser is good for is low-heat, knife-range, Crit/Head-seeking.

Looking in to a few wayback machines, Infantry took damage like normal, with no reduction from the Heavy weapons used by Mechs and Vehicles.  There were no burst-fire weapons in CityTech, with the first Compendium just upgrading Machine Guns with those rules.  Flamers didn't even do anything extra.  Near as I can tell, this continued through the Revised Master Rules.

Today, Conventional Infantry take reduced damage from Mech and Vehicle Heavy weapons, which includes the Small Laser, ER Small Laser, Heavy Small Laser, and improved Heavy Small Laser.  That means the (non-pulse) Small Laser does the same damage to Infantry as a Standard Large Laser.  Which then makes the only use for Small Lasers in the Anti-Infantry role as being much cheaper on Heat than the Large Laser AND allow that Large Laser to be used on something with more Armor.

So, how do we return the Small Laser to its old glory?  Near as I can figure there are 4 basic ways to do this:

1) Back to original: Small Lasers do their full Damage to Conventional Infantry Platoons without a Roll or modification.  This makes the Heavy Small Lasers quite scary.

2) Capped Damage: All non-Pulse Small Lasers do a set 3 Damage to Conventional Infantry (not including In the Open or Mechanized modifications).

3) Compromise: Small Laser Damage is still modified, but only to half instead of to a tenth.  That leaves the original to only 2 Damage, but that's still better than what the Standard Medium or Large Lasers are doing.

4) Import it in to the Burst-Fire club: Standard and ER Small Lasers now do 1D6/2 Damage and the Heavy Small Lasers do 2D6/2 Damage.

What are your thoughts?  Small Lasers should be kept as is, or do they need to return to their earlier glory days when it could actually threaten a Platoon besides a glare?  Are there any other methods you think would be worthwhile to consider for helping Small Lasers be more than just a joke?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Restoring the Small Laser to "glory"?
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2024, 13:04:43 »
I'd be more inclined to leave Small Lasers alone, and just add the other weapons with those effects.  Heck, we can even mount actual Infantry Support Weapons now...

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2024, 13:29:49 »
I think they're fine as is currently. They're good for TSM heat Management for the IS until Micro Lasers become more widespread.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2024, 14:31:34 »
1D6 burst fire.  I've tried it and it works well enough.  1D6/2 is barely better than nothing, just 1.5 or 2 average damage depending on how you round.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2024, 17:57:58 »
So, a lot of TRO entries state the the Small Laser is great for dealing with Infantry.  For those of us who never dealt with Infantry until Total Warfare, this seems to be an odd statement.  (Personal note: I've played off and on since the 90s, but I didn't work with anything but Mechs until BattleClix and Total Warfare.)  For right now, all the Small Laser is good for is low-heat, knife-range, Crit/Head-seeking.

Looking in to a few wayback machines, Infantry took damage like normal, with no reduction from the Heavy weapons used by Mechs and Vehicles.  There were no burst-fire weapons in CityTech, with the first Compendium just upgrading Machine Guns with those rules.  Flamers didn't even do anything extra.  Near as I can tell, this continued through the Revised Master Rules.

Today, Conventional Infantry take reduced damage from Mech and Vehicle Heavy weapons, which includes the Small Laser, ER Small Laser, Heavy Small Laser, and improved Heavy Small Laser.  That means the (non-pulse) Small Laser does the same damage to Infantry as a Standard Large Laser.  Which then makes the only use for Small Lasers in the Anti-Infantry role as being much cheaper on Heat than the Large Laser AND allow that Large Laser to be used on something with more Armor.

So, how do we return the Small Laser to its old glory?  Near as I can figure there are 4 basic ways to do this:

1) Back to original: Small Lasers do their full Damage to Conventional Infantry Platoons without a Roll or modification.  This makes the Heavy Small Lasers quite scary.

2) Capped Damage: All non-Pulse Small Lasers do a set 3 Damage to Conventional Infantry (not including In the Open or Mechanized modifications).

3) Compromise: Small Laser Damage is still modified, but only to half instead of to a tenth.  That leaves the original to only 2 Damage, but that's still better than what the Standard Medium or Large Lasers are doing.

4) Import it in to the Burst-Fire club: Standard and ER Small Lasers now do 1D6/2 Damage and the Heavy Small Lasers do 2D6/2 Damage.

What are your thoughts?  Small Lasers should be kept as is, or do they need to return to their earlier glory days when it could actually threaten a Platoon besides a glare?  Are there any other methods you think would be worthwhile to consider for helping Small Lasers be more than just a joke?

This is where the rules changed and invalidated fluff.  Small lasers prior to TW would kill three guys in a platoon.

that's it, three...and that's only because for damage purposes, the platoon was treated as a single solid object.  we didn't get much variation in that until (was it compendium?) until the first infantry platoon generation math was done in one of the supplements prior to the massive rework of the core rules that was the Total Warfare hardbacks.

Now, they're not particularly good for infantry, though that isnt' true of all small lasers, and for a loss of 1/3rd the range you can get it back with pulse lasers.

well, unless you play Clanner, then you don't sacrifice anything for your advantages even when it doesn't make sense.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2024, 04:24:47 »
So a few things going on.  First, in the OG rules, battledroids, any hit to infantry killed them.  Then in citytech and later, small lasers can start fires being an energy weapon, so unlike a machine gun a small laser can set terrain on fire and burn infantry out.  Flamers were better at starting fires to burn infantry out, but small lasers were less heat, smaller, and so easier to use.

The more time passes, the more other weapons get buffed and infantry get buffed.  But judging from the ability for small lasers to act as point defense weapons in space, its not unreasonable at all for small lasers to have a burst damage mode now, seeing as the other classic small anti infantry weapons all do that now too.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2024, 04:49:35 »
1d6 damage to PBI doesn't seem unreasonable or unbalanced. It would still be worse than a MG, but good enough that taking SLs as AI weapons doesn't look silly.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2024, 02:44:46 by Sabelkatten »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2024, 10:14:16 »
1d6 damage to PBI doesn't seem unreasonable or unbalanced. It would still be worse than a MG, but good enough that taking SLs as AI weapons looks silly.

do you mean 'doesn't look silly' in your proposition there?  otherwise it reads...kinda weird.  sorry to bring it up and if you're not a native english speaker my apologies even more.

but yeah, as said here;
So a few things going on.  First, in the OG rules, battledroids, any hit to infantry killed them.  Then in citytech and later, small lasers can start fires being an energy weapon, so unlike a machine gun a small laser can set terrain on fire and burn infantry out.  Flamers were better at starting fires to burn infantry out, but small lasers were less heat, smaller, and so easier to use.

The more time passes, the more other weapons get buffed and infantry get buffed.  But judging from the ability for small lasers to act as point defense weapons in space, its not unreasonable at all for small lasers to have a burst damage mode now, seeing as the other classic small anti infantry weapons all do that now too.

there's been a LOT of changes to how weapons perform, and some of the baseline ones from OG days HAVE suffered as a result.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Andras

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2024, 10:47:41 »
This is where the rules changed and invalidated fluff.  Small lasers prior to TW would kill three guys in a platoon.

that's it, three...and that's only because for damage purposes, the platoon was treated as a single solid object.  we didn't get much variation in that until (was it compendium?) until the first infantry platoon generation math was done in one of the supplements prior to the massive rework of the core rules that was the Total Warfare hardbacks.

Now, they're not particularly good for infantry, though that isnt' true of all small lasers, and for a loss of 1/3rd the range you can get it back with pulse lasers.

well, unless you play Clanner, then you don't sacrifice anything for your advantages even when it doesn't make sense.

Don't forget you also used to double damage if the infantry were in the open. Two small las would wipe out almost half a platoon in the open.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2024, 10:54:39 »
You still double damage against infantry in the open...

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer