Author Topic: Wolverine II  (Read 8861 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Wolverine II
« on: 26 March 2020, 04:29:20 »
I know not every design needs to be optimized, but given the tech available to the Star League, the Wolverine II seems to be a bit underwhelming for a Royal Mech. It seems to be laking in punch at ranges and in contrast to many mechs seems to have too much cooling capaity. Maybe it is just me, but it seems below standard compared to some of the other Royals. I would say even the Royal Sentinel is a bit better given its harder punch, though that one is mighty squishy.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Wolverine II
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2020, 05:45:48 »
It is a tougher Wolverine, a better Wolverine. Don't see what's bad about that. It has better range overall and more firepower at 10+ hexes. Better close range firepower, and since the it is a 5/8/5 design, it has no major issues keeping that range. More armor and CASE is good.
Royals don't need only the best weapons (like loading Gauss rifles to Sentinels), they also need toughness, cavalry options, whatever. Compared to many others, the Wolverine II is an affordable upgrade.

I figure that if one likes the base Wolverine, like i do, then one likes the Wolverine II. It is a no nonsense upgrade.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2020, 06:23:19 »
It is a tougher Wolverine, a better Wolverine. Don't see what's bad about that. It has better range overall and more firepower at 10+ hexes. Better close range firepower, and since the it is a 5/8/5 design, it has no major issues keeping that range. More armor and CASE is good.
Royals don't need only the best weapons (like loading Gauss rifles to Sentinels), they also need toughness, cavalry options, whatever. Compared to many others, the Wolverine II is an affordable upgrade.

I figure that if one likes the base Wolverine, like i do, then one likes the Wolverine II. It is a no nonsense upgrade.

I guess my main problem is the Ultra AC/5. Never been a fan of that weapon.

Phocion

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2020, 06:56:14 »
As a a straight upgrade to the AC5, the ultra is it.  I wouldnt consider the LBX5 an upgrade as such, more of a sidegrade.  Rotary AC5 is great, but also much later tech, with attendant weight and reliability issues.

The Wolverine is my favorite mech, its just a shame that there are relatively few earlier (3055ish) upgrade variants that really capitalised on those SW era designs successes.  The 7D was decent, although the XL engine is a liability and the MPL didnt make much sense, an ERML would have improved the chassis.  Also Streak tech was slow to be introduced to IS designs, and Wolverines like many fast cavalry designs, with limited tonnage for ammo would have benefitted, although theres a hefty weight premium to be paid for upgrading an SRM6 to a streak 6 pack.  Artemis is decent, but still ammo inefficient for something that can only carry a single ton of ammo.

My current favorite variant is the 9M, although thats a point in the FWL’s favor, not the FedSuns’, despite it being ‘their’ design.  Although it breaks the ballistic main armament tradition, it does so for the best of reasons.  A strong main punch from the HPPC, a streak 6 pack, and an ERML (yay!).

With all that in mind, the Wolverine II seems like a natural all round improvement.  It does everything the original 6R did, only better. Yes, its oversinked but the Wolverine variants benefit massively from jump and being able to jumping alpha strike to your hearts content is a powerful option. Still got a stupid pulse laser though!!!!  ???
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 06:57:55 by Phocion »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2020, 07:00:15 »
Still got a stupid pulse laser though!!!!  ???
Given that during the Star League era the Wolverine II shouldn't have major issues maintaining a close range to the target (EDIT I'm assuming the prey is something slower probably), the pulse laser is pure upgrade. More damage and better or no loss of accuracy. Beyond the pulse laser range, you can always double tap the AC and maintain the original Wolverine's firepower. (And regular pilots will have difficulties hitting at long range bracket anyhow.)
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 07:06:32 by Empyrus »

Phocion

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2020, 08:10:55 »
Given that during the Star League era the Wolverine II shouldn't have major issues maintaining a close range to the target (EDIT I'm assuming the prey is something slower probably), the pulse laser is pure upgrade. More damage and better or no loss of accuracy. Beyond the pulse laser range, you can always double tap the AC and maintain the original Wolverine's firepower. (And regular pilots will have difficulties hitting at long range bracket anyhow.)

Everything you said makes sense, and the Wolverine II is objectively better overall.  However the pitiful range on the MPL as well as the lack of ammo for the UAC5 on the other UAC armed variants, such as the 7D, reduces that option somewhat.  I have also found that the ERML gives you better tactical flexibility and brackets better with the UAC5.  It means you dont have to close, to use more of your weaponry.  The MPL definitely has advantages, and on other Wolfy variants it makes perfect sense, the 7K or 7M, for example, which are both knife-fighter designs.  Neither the 7H or 7D struck me as close in designs given their use of the UAC5 as primary weapon. 

Whilst we are on the subject.  One thing I dont quite get is whether the 7H was actually the same chassis as the other Wolverine variants.  The 6R at least uses the Crucis-A chassis as, I assume, do other variants - cant see anything on Sarna or MUL to say otherwise.  But it is significantly different in appearance as well as armament placement - the laser is above the head, for example, rather than the chin mount of the other Wolverines, and the SRM is buried in the torso, not over the shoulder.  So there is a possibility that it used a different chassis to the rest.  Not sure if that makes any objective difference, its just that if you took the tech of the 7H and stuffed it into an existing post Clan-invasion Wolverine chassis, as a custom upgrade, you would get the same performance on a different looking mech.  Not sure if, when they had the tech to start to reproduce old star league era designs, they would reproduce the appearance as well...... 
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 08:13:52 by Phocion »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2020, 08:17:47 »
Everything you said makes sense, and the Wolverine II is objectively better overall.  However the pitiful range on the MPL as well as the lack of ammo for the UAC5 on the other UAC armed variants,
I'll note i was talking only about the Wolverine II, not the others. No comment on them.
Whilst we are on the subject.  One thing I dont quite get is whether the 7H was actually the same chassis as the other Wolverine variants.  the 6R at least uses the Crucis-A chassis as, I assume, do other variants - cant see anything on Sarna or MUL to say that says it wasnt, but it is significantly different in appearance as well as armament placement - the laser is above the head, for example, rather than the chin mount of the other Wolverines.  So there is a possibility that it used a different chassis to the rest.  Not sure if that makes any objective difference, its just that if you took the tech of the 7H and stuffed it into an existing post Clan-invasion Wolverine chassis, you would get the same performance on a different looking mech.  Not sure if, when they started to reproduce old star league era designs, they would reproduce the appearance as well......
The Wolverine II uses Crucis-XL per Historical: Operation Klondike.
The write-up there describes other changes too, the Wolverine II is a complete re-design. It is in the name really to boot, no other Wolverine variant is called "II".

(Fun historical note, the Wolverine II actually originates in the original Star League book, it was a throwaway mention along the Atlas II.)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2020, 08:36:35 »
I guess my main problem is the Ultra AC/5. Never been a fan of that weapon.

Yeah, that makes or breaks the design for many.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2020, 08:52:32 »
Oh she's a beautiful looking machine, I prefer her over the new-seen Wolverine actually.  Loses a bit too many quirks I think (should have the torso twist extension trait).

I rarely fire the Ultra in practice, my dice seem to hate Ultra cannons.  But she's cool running and a good heavy scout.  The ability to (in theory) throw two five point shots out against the bug mech's also makes her a good scout hunter to keep them from getting away.

Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2020, 08:54:18 »
People can house-rule out the jamming, you won't get your gaming license and gaming paraphernalia taken away by force you know.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2020, 10:54:21 »
The Wolverine II IMO suffers from having to slot in between the WVR-6R and the WVR-7D/7M/7K so you cannot really go radical with it.  A single ballistic main gun, single medium laser and single short range rack . . . this is what you end up with following those guidelines.  The design choices were very specific to create something that was similar to the 'recovered' WVR-7D which was closest to the Star League's Wolverine but still different because of the Helm tech.  Whoever designed it did a excellent job IMO since it is easily placed in the logical progression and avoids the power creep of some Royals.

Someone mentioned the LB-5X earlier, but it was not available in the Star League era as were other choices to make it 'different.'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2020, 14:25:26 »
People can house-rule out the jamming, you won't get your gaming license and gaming paraphernalia taken away by force you know.

Just allow jam clearance like a rotary. I don't think it is game breaking. You could add that Ultra's are permanently jammed on a roll of 2 to hit so the rotary still shows an advance with the ability to always clear jams. If that's not a big enough handicap, add that on a 2 to hit roll followed by rolling an 8+ 2 rounds detonate in the cannon, destroying the cannon, dealing 10 points internal damage (with the requisite chance for additional crits) and dealing 1 point of feedback damage to the mechwarrior. Rotaries are still superior to Ultra's but ultra's aren't so dumb and to cripple themselves so often.

Ultra's fixed.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2020, 16:05:42 »
You could add that Ultra's are permanently jammed on a roll of 2 to hit so the rotary still shows an advance with the ability to always clear jams.
Err.... what are you suggesting then?  That's exactly how it works right now.
If that's not a big enough handicap, add that on a 2 to hit roll followed by rolling an 8+ 2 rounds detonate in the cannon, destroying the cannon, dealing 10 points internal damage (with the requisite chance for additional crits) and dealing 1 point of feedback damage to the mechwarrior. Rotaries are still superior to Ultra's but ultra's aren't so dumb and to cripple themselves so often.

Ultra's fixed.
Now I'm really confused.  Your suggestion for "fixing" the UAC is to change the failure mode from jamming itself to uselessness to a failure mode of catastrophic weapon destruction + internal damage + pilot injury?  Is the UAC too good?

Generally I think house-rule fixes should lean on the simpler side, but anyways that little tangent should probably be in the designs portion of the forum rather than here.
I'm one who likes the base Wolverine (though I really like the variants with the Large Laser) but don't care for the upgrade.

The UAC/5 is a decent, small upgrade to the original 6R model.  But to use it to its full potential requires rapid-firing which also risks jamming, not great.  Otherwise it's a heavier AC/5 with slightly more favorable range brackets.  I'd *almost* prefer a regular AC/5 with special ammo at that point.

The SRM-6 pack gets Artemis IV.  It's a small, marginal upgrade, but only if you load the right ammo, else it's effectively dead weight.  On the Energy Wolverines (6K, 6M) I liked to fill the missiles with specialty ammo like infernos & fragmentations, and use the lasers for everyday fighting, but you can't really do that for the AC/5 boats.  In this case, I'd have much rather had either more missile tubes, or streak tubes instead.

The MPL is okay, strictly speaking it's better than a single ML at ranges 6 and lower.  But at that weight you can get 2 medium lasers, which would be significantly better than the MPL in general, and you could get that by re-arranging the equipment, consolidating the ammo, and losing one of the CASEs.

Basically the Wolverine II is a better Wolverine, but considering it's being built on an endo-steel frame with ferro-fibrous armor and other fancy doo-dads I was hoping for something more than what's essentially a marginal enhancement.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2020, 16:26:06 »

Basically the Wolverine II is a better Wolverine, but considering it's being built on an endo-steel frame with ferro-fibrous armor and other fancy doo-dads I was hoping for something more than what's essentially a marginal enhancement.

It still fills a low heat design in a batch (the royals as a whole) that can get pretty toasty.  I'd have preferred It get the LB10X rather than the Royal Shadow Hawk.  Same range as the AC/5, two tons of ammo for same payload, plus with it being a heavy scout the cluster is heck on scouting VTOLs, vehicles and a bit more useful if you run across infantry. 
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2020, 17:31:45 »
The SRM-6 pack gets Artemis IV.  It's a small, marginal upgrade, but only if you load the right ammo, else it's effectively dead weight.  On the Energy Wolverines (6K, 6M) I liked to fill the missiles with specialty ammo like infernos & fragmentations, and use the lasers for everyday fighting, but you can't really do that for the AC/5 boats.  In this case, I'd have much rather had either more missile tubes, or streak tubes instead.

What?  You want this thing to have 2 SSRM2s?  You get another single ton & crit to use somewhere- this thing is crit packed btw.  No thanks . . . the standard racks are better than Streaks anyway b/c you can keep them mission adaptable.  I would go for the 2nd, which would be to put 2 SRM4s instead of 6+ArtIV but its not the 'higher tech' Royal that way.

The MPL?  When it gets to close quarters, it allows you to be more accurate in a jumping brawl.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2020, 17:52:07 »
What?  You want this thing to have 2 SSRM2s?  You get another single ton & crit to use somewhere- this thing is crit packed btw.  No thanks . . . the standard racks are better than Streaks anyway b/c you can keep them mission adaptable.  I would go for the 2nd, which would be to put 2 SRM4s instead of 6+ArtIV but its not the 'higher tech' Royal that way.
3 SSRM2s.  Consolidating the ammo to one zone lets you remove 1 CASE which gets you that spare half-ton and crit.
The MPL?  When it gets to close quarters, it allows you to be more accurate in a jumping brawl.
At ranges 1, 2, and 4 only.  Ranges 3 and 5-9 belong to the Medium Laser array.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2020, 18:28:05 »
Keep in mind we have ever other flavor of Wolverine in other TRO's/RS, the Ultra 5 was the only thing not done yet.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2020, 19:08:42 »
Keep in mind we have ever other flavor of Wolverine in other TRO's/RS, the Ultra 5 was the only thing not done yet.

What about the 7D?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2020, 19:32:16 »
3 SSRM2s.  Consolidating the ammo to one zone lets you remove 1 CASE which gets you that spare half-ton and crit.At ranges 1, 2, and 4 only.  Ranges 3 and 5-9 belong to the Medium Laser array.

Yeah, and that is altering the chassis more by moving the ammo- its not a straight swap any more, more like 'it would be better if I could . . . '

The IS MPL still does better at 3 and 5 & 6- at all 3 of those ranges it equals the TH of the Med Laser, but it will do 1 more point of damage.  If its a jumping brawler, the lower TH will offset that jumping about to get in behind & kick or punch.
Colt Ward

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2020, 20:12:21 »
What about the 7D?

Ruger

I was referring to the 7D as many seemed hung up on the UAC 5.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2020, 21:16:23 »
Yeah, and that is altering the chassis more by moving the ammo- its not a straight swap any more, more like 'it would be better if I could . . . '
Since when has ripping out the original internal exoskeleton to shove in a fancy endo-steel version ever been a straight swap?  That by itself is a class F factory refit without changing anything else, and it almost certainly is an altered chassis, else it'd be another wolverine variant and not a "Wolverine II".  In fact, moving the ammo or weapon location is much easier and only qualifies as a Class A field refit via Strat Ops.
The IS MPL still does better at 3 and 5 & 6- at all 3 of those ranges it equals the TH of the Med Laser, but it will do 1 more point of damage.  If its a jumping brawler, the lower TH will offset that jumping about to get in behind & kick or punch.
One IS MPL does better at 3, 5, & 6 than one ML does.
It's not competing with 1 ML.  It's 2 MLs.  2 MLs beat 1 MPL at 3 and 5-9.  2 MLs will often beat 1 MPL even at 1, 2, and 4, or at least perform close enough to be a wash, depending on the target and whether the Wolverine jumps or not.  Only against very fast runners or faster jumpers can generate the THMs necessary to make 1 MPL consistently more effective than 2 MLs at those specific ranges, but those sprinters/ big jumpers are the ones that will be determining the ranges they attack at, not the Wolverine.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2020, 21:24:46 »
Since when has ripping out the original internal exoskeleton to shove in a fancy endo-steel version ever been a straight swap?  That by itself is a class F factory refit without changing anything else, and it almost certainly is an altered chassis, else it'd be another wolverine variant and not a "Wolverine II".  In fact, moving the ammo or weapon location is much easier and only qualifies as a Class A field refit via Strat Ops.One IS MPL does better at 3, 5, & 6 than one ML does.
It's not competing with 1 ML.  It's 2 MLs.  2 MLs beat 1 MPL at 3 and 5-9.  2 MLs will often beat 1 MPL even at 1, 2, and 4, or at least perform close enough to be a wash, depending on the target and whether the Wolverine jumps or not.  Only against very fast runners or faster jumpers can generate the THMs necessary to make 1 MPL consistently more effective than 2 MLs at those specific ranges, but those sprinters/ big jumpers are the ones that will be determining the ranges they attack at, not the Wolverine.
Utilizing the +3 defensive modifier from jumping requires you to incur a +3 penalty yourself. Two, standard medium lasers firing at a target in woods or with partial cover is not easy when doing this. The MPL is perfect for getting in, stabbing, and being able to safely get out, since you could probably also put terrain between yourself and a target, if needed.

4 (Gunnery) + 3 (Attacker Jumped) + 2 (Target in Heavy Woods) + 2 (Intervening Heavy Woods) = 11

My opponent only has an 8.3% chance of hitting me. I, however, have a 27% chance of hitting him (needing a 9+). I'll take those kinds of numbers all day long and twice on Sunday.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 21:27:58 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2020, 21:51:55 »
Utilizing the +3 defensive modifier from jumping requires you to incur a +3 penalty yourself. Two, standard medium lasers firing at a target in woods or with partial cover is not easy when doing this. The MPL is perfect for getting in, stabbing, and being able to safely get out, since you could probably also put terrain between yourself and a target, if needed.

4 (Gunnery) + 3 (Attacker Jumped) + 2 (Target in Heavy Woods) + 2 (Intervening Heavy Woods) = 11

My opponent only has an 8.3% chance of hitting me. I, however, have a 27% chance of hitting him (needing a 9+). I'll take those kinds of numbers all day long and twice on Sunday.
The to-hit number given is for the Wolverine II firing at some unlabeled opponent, yes?

Since the opponent is in heavy woods and apparently not moving, he presumably would only have a 9+ (4 gunnery + 3 target moved 5 hexes & jumped + 2 intervening Heavy woods), unless the Wolverine II also conveniently landed in a heavy woods.  Since the MPL has a short range of 2, and there's also an intervening woods, that'd require three Heavy Wood hexes in a row for this scenario to occur.  I can't say I see such scenarios frequently at all.

In which case yes, even the Inner Sphere MPL starts to shine when you have more forests than you have hexes.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2020, 21:59:43 »
The to-hit number given is for the Wolverine II firing at some unlabeled opponent, yes?

Since the opponent is in heavy woods and apparently not moving, he presumably would only have a 9+ (4 gunnery + 3 target moved 5 hexes & jumped + 2 intervening Heavy woods), unless the Wolverine II also conveniently landed in a heavy woods.  Since the MPL has a short range of 2, and there's also an intervening woods, that'd require three Heavy Wood hexes in a row for this scenario to occur.  I can't say I see such scenarios frequently at all.

In which case yes, even the Inner Sphere MPL starts to shine when you have more forests than you have hexes.
Well, yes. Jumping means you determine where you land. I'm definitely not jumping into wide open terrain. It's probably a difference of map types that we use, as MegaMek can create randomized terrain that differs heavily from the standard, box set maps people tend to use. So different, built-up terrain is more commonly found in scenarios like that (or with that plastic, modular hex terrain you can buy).

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2020, 22:03:09 »
The Wolverine II is not a upgrade IIRC but a whole new design, so its not building a ES skeleton for a old Wolverine 1R/3R/6R.

You cannot get a 2nd ML from that single swap- even if you did your proposed CASE consolidation, you still have only that single crit in the head free.  Removing CASE on the RT is supposedly more complicated, and its a greater alteration moving the ammo than plug & play on the weapons.
Colt Ward

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2020, 22:18:13 »
Well, yes. Jumping means you determine where you land. I'm definitely not jumping into wide open terrain. It's probably a difference of map types that we use, as MegaMek can create randomized terrain that differs heavily from the standard, box set maps people tend to use. So different, built-up terrain is more commonly found in scenarios like that (or with that plastic, modular hex terrain you can buy).
I do use the randomize terrain generator in MegaMek fairly frequently.  I just don't really see it generate three heavy woods back-to-back-to-back super frequently without the setting being in an actual forest (in which case the Wolverine and its UAC/5 is probably the "wrong" choice anyways).  Must be difference in settings.
The Wolverine II is not a upgrade IIRC but a whole new design, so its not building a ES skeleton for a old Wolverine 1R/3R/6R.

You cannot get a 2nd ML from that single swap- even if you did your proposed CASE consolidation, you still have only that single crit in the head free.  Removing CASE on the RT is supposedly more complicated, and its a greater alteration moving the ammo than plug & play on the weapons.
That's my point.  It's a whole new design, so there wasn't any need to exactly replicate the original Wolverine's SRM-ML-AC5 for the Wolverine II in the first place.  The designers, if they desired, could have easily made the original production model with a triad of SSRM-2 tubes, two MLs, and left the UAC/5.  I'm not talking about modifying the current canon Wolverine II to those specs in the field, I'm saying the canon Wolverine II could have been a different and more impressive upgrade from the original Wolverine from the design stage instead of a "Wolverine I with endo-steel" that it currently is.

(This isn't theoretical, the modifications work: I've specced out a "what-if" Wolverine II with the changes and checked it through Tech Manual: It's a legal design.)

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2020, 22:30:36 »
I do use the randomize terrain generator in MegaMek fairly frequently.  I just don't really see it generate three heavy woods back-to-back-to-back super frequently without the setting being in an actual forest (in which case the Wolverine and its UAC/5 is probably the "wrong" choice anyways).  Must be difference in settings.That's my point.  It's a whole new design, so there wasn't any need to exactly replicate the original Wolverine's SRM-ML-AC5 for the Wolverine II in the first place.  The designers, if they desired, could have easily made the original production model with a triad of SSRM-2 tubes, two MLs, and left the UAC/5.  I'm not talking about modifying the current canon Wolverine II to those specs in the field, I'm saying the canon Wolverine II could have been a different and more impressive upgrade from the original Wolverine from the design stage instead of a "Wolverine I with endo-steel" that it currently is.

(This isn't theoretical, the modifications work: I've specced out a "what-if" Wolverine II with the changes and checked it through Tech Manual: It's a legal design.)
I would say that most BT designs could easily be outpaced by any half-witted player with a design program. They follow an interpretation of in-universe thinking, not what would actually be "good." AC/5 -> Ultra AC; standard laser -> pulse; Missiles -> missiles with that super cool, new system we invented that wastes what could have been another ammo bin

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2020, 00:54:40 »
I do use the randomize terrain generator in MegaMek fairly frequently.  I just don't really see it generate three heavy woods back-to-back-to-back super frequently without the setting being in an actual forest (in which case the Wolverine and its UAC/5 is probably the "wrong" choice anyways).  Must be difference in settings.That's my point.  It's a whole new design, so there wasn't any need to exactly replicate the original Wolverine's SRM-ML-AC5 for the Wolverine II in the first place.  The designers, if they desired, could have easily made the original production model with a triad of SSRM-2 tubes, two MLs, and left the UAC/5.  I'm not talking about modifying the current canon Wolverine II to those specs in the field, I'm saying the canon Wolverine II could have been a different and more impressive upgrade from the original Wolverine from the design stage instead of a "Wolverine I with endo-steel" that it currently is.

But it still has to be on part with the 3050s 7 series Wolverines, and the -7D has a lot of waste too (SHS), and so the designer slotted in to the gap between the -6R and the -7D pretty successfully IMO.  The Streaks are a waste, the adaptability of the regular rack is better . . . and we know the SRM6 is a bad size in every way but damage.  The -6R had a AC/5, ML and SRM6 . . . so we got something that improved every single one of those weapon systems, and that is it.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2020, 01:08:06 »
Ultra AC/5s are excellent weapons and the reason you get the Wolverine II at the equally excellent price of 1301 BV while being a full 5/8/5 with a standard engine, and not 50-100 points higher on top of having absolutely zero heat worries whatsoever.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2020, 12:53:59 »
But it still has to be on part with the 3050s 7 series Wolverines, and the -7D has a lot of waste too (SHS), and so the designer slotted in to the gap between the -6R and the -7D pretty successfully IMO.  The Streaks are a waste, the adaptability of the regular rack is better . . . and we know the SRM6 is a bad size in every way but damage.  The -6R had a AC/5, ML and SRM6 . . . so we got something that improved every single one of those weapon systems, and that is it.
That's all okay and all, but a slight upgrade to the guns is something I'd expect on a Wolverine I field refit, so it's not going to win my heart.  I'd hope for something more substantial from a complete chassis redesign Wolverine II.

(Also "we" don't know that the SRM6 is the worst size SRM rack.  How so?)
Ultra AC/5s are excellent weapons and the reason you get the Wolverine II
I dunno, for such an excellent weapon my group is rather quick to field mod UAC/5s away during campaigns whenever they can.