Author Topic: Blood Legion  (Read 12209 times)

MADDENJIM

• Recruit
Blood Legion
« on: 02 December 2018, 00:43:22 »
What do you think if Clan Blood Spirit decided to not stay in Clan Space but up and left before the vultures started to circle?  Example, instead of interfering with Clan Star Adder and Clan Burrock absorption they take everything they have and disappear into deep space.  Some time later they show up in far periphery.  They have targeted the Marion Hegemony to conquer and begin a new clan state that will in time challenge the fallen clans and barbaric hordes of the inner sphere.  Despite brave stand by the Marian Legions they are defeated and Blood Spirits begin adapting their new territory.   Ubiquitously named territorial state of Blood Legion-they shall carve a honor road all the way to Terra.    What do you think?
“Maxim 3:
An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.

-The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries”
― Howard Tayler

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Blood Legion
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2018, 02:42:53 »
Well a Century is a Star, and a Tank Maniple is also a Star-ish, same for a Wing, 5 Air Maniples aka a Star!

Now they might have a problem with the Infantry, BA is a Contubernium, but the others would be more like double Points...

So a Cohort is close to 2 Trinary - 3 Binary Mech, Reinforced Star of BA, 3 Stars of Tanks - Aero, about 5 Stars of PBi or so...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MADDENJIM

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2018, 03:16:21 »
How about this idea?   Blood Spirit were developing a phenotype for Protomechs.  What if the Spirits/Marian scientists devised a new uber-proto design:  The Praetorian.  They could be huge numbers of these.   I was thinking an ultraheavy design of no more the 15tons.  Armed with AP Gauss.
“Maxim 3:

― Howard Tayler

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 04:04:35 »
AP Gauss over a shoulder torso mount, but really needs an energy weapon... ER M (IS)? Some good speed and armor... lots of armor to take on a clan PPC.

Ideal?

TT

( Like a speedier Minotaur... )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

MADDENJIM

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2018, 19:54:44 »
I can see with strong hold on anything looking to high-tech for the Spirits, they may want to use Inner sphere equivalent or retro-tech it.  Like Chemical lasers, heavy rocket launchers, or instead heavy lasers for a much needed punch.
“Maxim 3:

― Howard Tayler

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2018, 00:25:52 »
The idea is good.  Were the BS to pull up stakes and relocate to the IS by conquering the MH, depending upon how they treated the populations, they might be able to create an industrial powerhouse, given the waste not, want not mentality of the BS.  At that time, the FWL could not challenge the BS navy.  But, the BS navy would need the ability to build warships very quickly to fend off an eventual Clan assault and the future buildup of the FWL fleet.  If they could do it quickly enough, they could become extremely powerful.  They would need to be in order to fend off an eventual attack by other Clans and/or the FWL/WoB forces.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2018, 01:54:09 »
Agreed, the idea is sound; frankly my first instinct as the Spirit's new Khan after Schmitt would have been to empty the gene labs and set up a fall-back.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2019, 00:17:24 »
The Marian Hegemony is kinda far Galactic South: IMO I would be easier if they went for the Rim Collection /whatever that new nation is that also has Rim in it (Federation I think?). They would be slightly better with the Able's Aces Factory and economic base, but it would put them in competition with the Lyrans who would have another Clan on their border, and they wouldn't be fragmented like the FWL. They also would have had a much worse fleet than the FWL so the Spirits would have a better time here.

But that's my two cents.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2019, 07:47:26 »
Marian hegemony would be a cool place to go, specially goiven its Germanium mines. Other options would be to subdue the northern neighbours of the hegemony: Lothians, Illyrians and Circinus Federation. Going after the lothians might be seen as less dangerous by the powers that be in the IS, since they are more isolated and not seen as expansionist as the Marians.

Warship

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2019, 00:12:12 »
I thought the farther away from the OZ, the better.  With the MoC and TC in an alliance of sorts with the CC, the MH is the only real choice.  The germanium finds available would allow for new warship growth.  I would concentrate on smaller corvettes and the like in order to have a large wolfpack of vessels.  Enough numbers could take out the conventional engines of a Leviathan and then use it for target practice or to launch boarding attacks.  Not that that would happen, of course.  But, any group, knowing the BSitIS (Blood Spirits in the Inner Sphere), had a warship fleet around 30 ships, would choose other targets.  This might cause other Clans to follow suit.  What if the Coyotes uprooted and moved to the Tortuga Dominions?

MADDENJIM

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2019, 03:12:58 »
What if the Blood Spirits in an effort of assimilation of Periphery population to create a new Blood House-ORiley.  Plus sense Germanium is plentiful a possible back alley deal could be made with Diamond Sharks to establish a trading post in their new territory.  With that in place it could provide needed tech upgrades to get serious ship production into place.  Primarily jumpship and dropships. With that in place a true exploration of the area could be made.  Possibly a similar planet like Twycross that might have Hargel equivalent.  If not then maybe hidden Star League caches.  It could lead to an explosion of discovery or more to the point rediscovery.
“Maxim 3:

― Howard Tayler

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2019, 11:05:35 »
The Germanium is all gone.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2019, 11:47:18 »
Really? I thought it was still one of the driving industries of the Marians

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2019, 14:09:00 »

But why is the Germanium all gone?
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2019, 16:27:22 »

Warship

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2019, 20:33:35 »
Space Monkeys did it.

But, seriously, it stands to reason if you have had two major germanium finds in relative close proximity, other finds should be in the area waiting.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2019, 08:47:52 »
One was a warehouse. No reason to think there's another forgotten warehouse in proximity; it's not like they breed.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2019, 19:23:53 »
One was a warehouse. No reason to think there's another forgotten warehouse in proximity; it's not like they breed.

The warehouse Germanium was (only) worth of 50 Billion C-bills, wich were invested in Alphard colonization and more Germanium mining. And the Germanium is still mined, along other minerals, by companies like the ATC and Fidelis Metals.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Warship

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2019, 21:56:44 »
The warehouse Germanium was (only) worth of 50 Billion C-bills, wich were invested in Alphard colonization and more Germanium mining. And the Germanium is still mined, along other minerals, by companies like the ATC and Fidelis Metals.

Correct.  Saying it is all gone is like saying there is no more oil in Texas after a single well runs dry.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2019, 17:03:25 »
It really did say the germanium was mined out, and thats as far back as the original Periphery book. 

If you need it for your campaign then there can be more, but in-universe it is petered out, so we shouldn't expect to see the Marians mining more germanium in future publications.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2019, 08:13:29 »
Unless they find another source of germanium either in the form of processed, AKA ruined or destroyed jumpships.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2019, 07:55:06 »
There are many publications and citations about new discoveries of germanium in Marian hegemony.
To mention only some there are Germanium mines in Algenib, Horatius and Pompey, and that only those mentioned explicitly.

Also in more than one publication they comment that much of what is produced from these mines was exported to Marik during the construction boom of Warships

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2019, 06:38:31 »
In the real world , germanium isn't all that rare compared to some other elements and is recovered as a co-product of zinc from sphalerite ores where it occurs in concentrations of upto 0.3%.  Current global reserves are estimated at perhaps 10,000t.  The amounts used in CBT are huge though, for example Fed-Boeing used to have a 2Mtpy orbiting ore refinery facility above Galax, supposedly the largest refinery in the IS.  Using the above 0.3% content thats only around 6,000tpy of germanium. 
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Warship

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 20 July 2019, 12:28:07 »
Okay, so let us say the germanium question is put to rest by the previous post.  The Spirits have moved to the MH with the help of the Sharks who receive York and whatever else in Clan space as compensation.  O'Reilly is a Bloodname and the Caesar has been given/won a position of rank within the Clan. 

Would this would indicate the Spirit Khan is politically astute enough to realize her Clan would need to adapt to some of the IS/Periphery ideas regarding lineage and succession?  Namely, marry O'Reilly, but then train/raise the resulting offspring to become the new Caesar/Khan?

Would the Clan warriors be capable of adapting to such a change?  Would the Spirit civilians?  My thought is this would be necessary in order for the MH civilian population to embrace the Spirits and grow their military & industrial base quickly enough to be capable of fending off Clan reprisals and the FWL.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #24 on: 20 July 2019, 13:17:10 »
In the real world , germanium isn't all that rare compared to some other elements and is recovered as a co-product of zinc from sphalerite ores where it occurs in concentrations of upto 0.3%.  Current global reserves are estimated at perhaps 10,000t.  The amounts used in CBT are huge though, for example Fed-Boeing used to have a 2Mtpy orbiting ore refinery facility above Galax, supposedly the largest refinery in the IS.  Using the above 0.3% content thats only around 6,000tpy of germanium.
I've generally assumed that germanium is as common in BT as it is IRL, but the rarity is concentrations of high enough percentage to make the mining and refining worthwhile. Much like rare earths irl. They can be found in basically every kind of rock, and are, but geological formations where there are large amounts of them in concentrated ores are relatively rare, and ones that are in accessable areas for mining rarer still.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2019, 13:52:00 »
Marian and Clan Civi's will have no real say, they may protest but that is all that will be tolerated.

The Clan warriors will not be happy with that kind of plan, leadership is earned not inherited . A new Bloodname is easier to swallow, and if that Blood house can produce good warriors even better.

The Spirts could follow a model like the Scorpions did. Make the Legions the new states garrison cast, integrate worthy MHAF officers into high positions.

"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Warship

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2019, 20:54:23 »
I was just thinking a majority of the MH civilians are fairly robust, rather shoot you than shake your hand types hence the need for the Spirits to win them over.  But, that is just an impression.  Also, my thoughts were the Spirits would have to evolve into something that was not quite Clan, but not quite IS or Periphery.  Something new.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 22 July 2019, 20:06:21 »
Marian and Clan Civi's will have no real say, they may protest but that is all that will be tolerated.

The Clan warriors will not be happy with that kind of plan, leadership is earned not inherited . A new Bloodname is easier to swallow, and if that Blood house can produce good warriors even better.

The Spirts could follow a model like the Scorpions did. Make the Legions the new states garrison cast, integrate worthy MHAF officers into high positions.

^ This: Trials of Position for spots in the the Blood Spirit Touman and you would definetly have to have the Ceaser undergo one as well unless the negotiation included a civilian government similar to the Ghost Bear Dominion having a dual government.

If the Ceaser DID undergo a Trial and win handily it might be considered for creation of a new Bloodhouse to seal in the population (even perhaps multiple Bloodhouses).

As far as the civilians go: it depends on the current disposition of the Warrior and Leadership of the Spirits towards the other castes. In the WoR they were scrambling for defenses and warriors armor mass civilians to prevent their annihilation. If they are separate from the rest of the Clans then perhaps they might not be in such a hurry to have warriors but am increase in their production swelled with not necessarily a slave class but some form of class/caste restructuring might appeal to the masses. The nobles on the other hand might not take it that well unless they are warriors or merchants as simple nobles would lose nearly all status in a Clan restructuring. Even in a dual government they would lose quite a lot.

GhostMarauder

• Recruit
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2019, 17:17:44 »
I Really like this a lot .. I Myself have been contemplating years before about the survival of the Blood Spirits

By one option ..They reinstate their ichi ambassador/diplomat program among the clans and get a better position with the clans and they dont isolate to one world and they enlarge their armored vehicle's forces with heavy fighter and helo/vtol support with a say helicopter like the one that featured in mechwarrior 4 game the helicopter with the 4 lrm 20 racks and lasers mostly for their garrison troops..

and design other support material like say an heavy chopper with arrow launchers

And Protomech development alongside with Garrison Mechs and some new Protomechs and the direction of better medicines for Protomechpilots and new Protomech cockpits with more and protection and simpler controls .. well one of two options ..

just a few of my cents but  riding armor could be a good stepping stone with production of that already availeble in the Marion Hegomany

So Lets continu the discussion

Note :: Because the Reinstated Ichi Program more connections are made more trade and more options when they decide to leave the Homeworlds for the Inner sphere Pherephy

Warship

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2019, 22:47:57 »
The ilChi program could work well in the IS.  If occurring well before the dissolution of the 2nd Star League, the Blood Hegemony/Spirit Hegemony/Marian Spirits/Marian Bloods could become a member nation; perhaps even preventing the dissolution of the Star League.  That would have a tremendous effect on the timeline.