Author Topic: What do you choose?  (Read 8213 times)

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: What do you choose?
« Reply #30 on: 09 June 2019, 17:38:24 »
The Victor to honor my grandfather.  When I have a child, they can have the Enforcer to honor their grandfather.

And so it goes...
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 10 June 2019, 10:39:14 »
None of the above. I'll remove the armor and the LB-10x from the Enforcer, the armor Double Heat Sinks from the Archer, the DHS, the medium pulse lasers, the armor and the ER Larges from the Phoenix Hawk. The I'll  modify the Victor to carry the DHS, the LB-10x, some extra armor, and one or two of the ER Larges.

Ahhh, and upgrade from a simple count to a hanger queen!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #32 on: 11 June 2019, 01:58:56 »
Ahhh, and upgrade from a simple count to a hanger queen!
A:"Hey, what happened to that new Noble we were supposed to get?"
B:"Oh, something about blowing all his money on 'upgrading all his mechs'. Guess his family is destitute due to all that frivolous spending and the mechs got sold to the state to pay for the refurbishment fees."
A:"Sounds like that kid was playing too much of that "Mechwarrior" video game. Why he threw away his one chance to be a real Mechwarrior on 'customization' is beyond me."

Aren't three of those, like, factory grade refits, gutting or no? I think I'd just rather have the default Archer and the three backup mechs for later...
« Last Edit: 11 June 2019, 02:02:49 by Caedis Animus »

massey

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 11 June 2019, 08:34:03 »
Yeah, I'm definitely taking the Archer.  It's got the most armor, and it's a solid design.  It's not an "up close and personal" mech that is more likely to get shot to pieces.  And most importantly, you'll be serving under somebody else, and you don't want to throw away your family's shiny new Phoenix Hawk with all the advanced goodies on the whim of Colonel Douchebag.  Leave the fancy mech at home.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 11 June 2019, 12:01:46 »
You won't get shot-up if your 'flanking'... "Commander I'm beginning my flanking maneuver, what's that direct engagement? I can not very well engage directly if I'm flanking. And this battle is going to require a lot of flanking. Roger Wilco, I'm outs."
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2019, 12:53:58 »
I'd pick the Victor or the Archer, depending on the Warrior in questions specialization and proclivities. The Victor upgraded with FFA would be a beast, but the Archer is no slouch either, though by the 4th SW it is probably no longer used as a generalist Line Mech and most are back in the Fire Support Lance.

LiaoFan

• Master Sergeant
  • Fanatical member of the Capellan Foreign Legion.
« Reply #36 on: 13 June 2019, 11:16:04 »
What do I choose?

Easy. Suicide.

I mean, really, how could you ask me to support the FedSins? Puh-leeeze.

Attached to the 17th Donegal.  No one else would have me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 13 June 2019, 11:29:42 »
Lol, I saw your bit on the side and my eyes switched words a bit . . . looked like 'Capellan Fanatical Legion' for a second.

I appreciate the answers from folks, and the opinions on the four machines offered let me know that most folks find them to be comparable options- especially the Archer with the balky DHS.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #38 on: 14 June 2019, 22:30:25 »
I vote with gthe P-hawk coalition.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #39 on: 10 July 2019, 22:58:20 »
Give me my Space Romans and Purple Pyrates any day!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #40 on: 12 July 2019, 10:20:11 »
For the DLC, I'd have to go with the PXH.  It's also what I'd personally prefer to run on the tabletop.  The unit's mission profile calls for speed, and the PXH delivers.  While the thinner head armor on a PXH seems scary, it's normal role would see less inbound fire than the other options, and most of what it does draw would be against scouts without enough firepower to head-cap a 'Mech anyway.  The prestige for running a shiny new 'Mech with all of the latest bells and whistles is also good for one's image.  Normally, a PXH is a lance-leader for a Recon unit, which after an initial training period under a veteran lance leader would allow some flexibility and experience at command.  The Enforcer means you'll most likely be a cog in someone else's wheel.

In other situations, I'd be torn between it and the ARC.  With only half the DHS functioning at full efficiency, it's still quite capable of delivering its full missile payload without overheating.  Basically, the "problem" isn't a problem, and the heavier armor and usual supporting role means a greater chance of surviving any engagements, although there's significantly less prestige in that than with some "in-your-face" brawler design.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #41 on: 17 July 2019, 21:38:12 »
I really want the Enforcer, but a 4R just won't cut it in 3058+, it would have to be fully upgraded to the 5D model then some more work.
Until then it's the Pixie.

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #42 on: 26 July 2019, 20:00:10 »
PXH-3D for the win. It just fits better into the DLC's mission and tactics.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army