Author Topic: Eriance's Custom 'Mech design thread  (Read 85826 times)

willydstyle

• Captain
Re: Eriance's Custom 'Mech design thread
« Reply #180 on: 25 August 2011, 14:51:42 »
Yeah, there aren't any jump jets in the art, but they can be pretty well hidden, and I just like 3/5/3 assaults.  The Highlander IIC is pretty much my favorite mech ever.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #181 on: 25 August 2011, 15:21:39 »
Ok, I love the Leviathan / Tarasque so a couple of questions for Eriance. Could I use it for one of my novels? If so I would like to fluff it out for the 3050 time frame. Question two can I make it an OmniMech? Would love to see if I could fit 4 ER PPCs, ER Large Lasers, Large Pulse Lasers, LB-Xs, and/or Ultra ACs.  ;)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #182 on: 25 August 2011, 16:47:28 »
 [applause] [applause] [applause] [applause] [applause] Both mechs look dead sexy. You did an awesome work!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #183 on: 25 August 2011, 16:49:02 »
Death. Lots of Death...
Bring the pain

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #184 on: 25 August 2011, 17:20:40 »
I've always been an anti-retcon guy (though I never suffered from RR- Retcon Rage), I must confess---I could see myself supporting a retcon based your designs because they're awesome and faithful to the original concept yet unique as well.  Very well done.

elitebuster

• Recruit
« Reply #185 on: 25 August 2011, 18:47:46 »
 [rockon] Very nice. Some of the best mecha designs I've ever seen. I salute your artistry.
If we balance by tonnage, I'll bring 10 ultralights that can run a max of 60, and you bring an Atlas. We'll see how that turns out.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #186 on: 25 August 2011, 22:44:20 »
Ok, I love the Leviathan / Tarasque so a couple of questions for Eriance. Could I use it for one of my novels? If so I would like to fluff it out for the 3050 time frame. Question two can I make it an OmniMech? Would love to see if I could fit 4 ER PPCs, ER Large Lasers, Large Pulse Lasers, LB-Xs, and/or Ultra ACs.  ;)

You may use the art as long as it's not being sold or marketed as your own, and that I'm credited for the image. :)

I have a rough sketch of another Tarasque-based mech called the "Moloch" with 2 ER Large Pulse Lasers, and 4 LBX-10s. Perhaps you can wait for that one to be finished.

BTW, what's a "RetCon"?  ???
The Sentient Mushroom

elitebuster

• Recruit
« Reply #187 on: 25 August 2011, 23:52:53 »
You may use the art as long as it's not being sold or marketed as your own, and that I'm credited for the image. :)

I have a rough sketch of another Tarasque-based mech called the "Moloch" with 2 ER Large Pulse Lasers, and 4 LBX-10s. Perhaps you can wait for that one to be finished.

BTW, what's a "RetCon"?  ???

A retcon is when the writers of a series say one thing early on, then ****** up later and change the canon to reflect what they want. It's fairly common in any long running series.
If we balance by tonnage, I'll bring 10 ultralights that can run a max of 60, and you bring an Atlas. We'll see how that turns out.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #188 on: 26 August 2011, 00:13:20 »
Alternatively, it's what some people say when there's been a gap in the history, and the writers later create material in that gap which doesn't meet with their approval. It's an oft-misused phrase.

Saying that "In 3025, all Marauders looked like X", where X wasn't a copy of the Officer Pod Glaug from Maxross, would be a retcon.

Saying "Downgraded Star League 'Mechs like the Crab were also available in 3025", or saying "Primitive 'Mechs like the Hector or Icarus existed prior to 3025" are not actually retcons.

See the (occasionally subtle) difference?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #189 on: 26 August 2011, 04:54:20 »

Excellent, and due credit shall be given. I'm always good for that. ;)

Now there is idea except I'll have to change the ER Large Pulse Laser to something else cause that is level 3 tech for my setting. Standard LPLs will still make for a nasty config.

Any objections to the Mech being a Star Adder creation?

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #190 on: 26 August 2011, 08:01:26 »
Any objections to the Mech being a Star Adder creation?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Leviathan_%28Custom_%27Mech%29

It always was. :D Al my Clan mechs are Star Adder mechs. Don't know anything about them but I read they're the largest, thus have a higher probability of having more mechs. Makes a good place to through non-canon machines and not have it raise eyebrows.

The Sentient Mushroom

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #191 on: 26 August 2011, 09:30:53 »

It always was. :D Al my Clan mechs are Star Adder mechs. Don't know anything about them but I read they're the largest, thus have a higher probability of having more mechs. Makes a good place to through non-canon machines and not have it raise eyebrows.

...NNNNNOOOOOO!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #192 on: 26 August 2011, 21:38:22 »

You rule.  I seriously love the Ost you made and it inspired me...  I've been working on my "Dark Caste Guide" and I would LOVE to use that image to represent a Clan Burrock OmniMech I came up with.  If no, that's cool and I understand.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2011, 08:04:15 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #193 on: 27 August 2011, 10:17:17 »

My wife just asked me what stupid giant robot thing I was cheering about now. :D
This makes my day!

To the patient go the spoils

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #194 on: 30 August 2011, 18:04:00 »
So the Tarasque has four gauss rifles, and you still felt the need to mount medium lasers? Wouldn't a few small pulse for anti-infantry work make more sense? It doesn't exactly lack for anti-mech power, but it could be vulnerable to sudden infantry attacks.

Hmm...on second thought, each gun only has 12 rounds, so I guess some reserve firepower isn't uncalled for. I also just noted the active probe, which lessens the effectiveness of infantry in hiding I guess.

Actually, tactically speaking, how likely is it that a direct fire support platform is going to be menaced by infantry? I just realized it would have to be pretty low, unless the infantry stays under cover for a pretty good period of time while the fight's line of advance moves past them. Am I reading that one right?

And I totally love basically everything Eriance has ever done, seriously, its some of the best work anywhere. I would love to see quite a bit of it colored and put into an action scene somewhere, as these designs are so sharp it scary! Boss work chief, truly awesome.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #195 on: 31 August 2011, 16:59:28 »
The Star Adder in me just went like "Holy frikkin' shit", when I saw that Tarasque.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #196 on: 08 September 2011, 20:23:07 »
Made some power armor. :/

« Last Edit: 08 September 2011, 20:25:30 by Eriance »
The Sentient Mushroom

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #197 on: 08 September 2011, 20:39:03 »
Loss the clown shoes and it's made of awesome O0
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #198 on: 09 September 2011, 06:51:18 »
Looks a little like Space Marine-try hard though.  :P

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
« Reply #199 on: 09 September 2011, 10:02:12 »
Feels definitely more Spheroid than Clan.

Yea, it really is that fast....

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #200 on: 09 September 2011, 14:11:30 »
Make the legs of the BA a little smaller/slender and it'll look great.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #201 on: 10 September 2011, 02:35:34 »
Looks like a decent light suit with a pair of armored gloves, and a infantry weapon.

hehe take that Master Chief...

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #202 on: 10 September 2011, 02:38:25 »
The top half works really well, the legs need a little slendering up below the knee.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #203 on: 10 September 2011, 09:06:07 »
I like the legs... perhaps they are meant for more rough environments or zero-g operations.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #204 on: 12 September 2011, 15:26:45 »
Looking at those, I really wish that FanPro knew you when they decided to do Project Phoenix.

What jal said! DUDE! I love your style, it's a perfect blend of anime-inspired yet classicly battletech looking! LOVE IT! The 'organic mechanical' look of them (if that is even a real description  :P) is just beautiful! Your inspiring me to break out my pencils and get sketching again! It's been years but the inspirational floodgates just burst open. ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #205 on: 12 September 2011, 22:42:34 »
Made some power armor.

O0
Is that a backup weapon I see poking out on the left hip?

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #206 on: 12 September 2011, 22:44:33 »
O0
Is that a backup weapon I see poking out on the left hip?

An oversized pistol, yes. :)
The Sentient Mushroom

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: 17 September 2011, 22:48:12 »
An oversized pistol, yes. :)
hehe cute.

Though one thing to note is most B-tech battle armor do not use the typical "oversize" infantry weapons that most powered armor uses in other series (i.e. WH40k Spacemarines with their bolters, Starcraft Marines with their "Gauss rifles", and Halos Spartans...). In short B-tech uses built in weapons systems for the most part.

B-tech power armor for the most part use hard mounted weapons built into the suit, often in the torso/shoulders and arms, with arm mounted weapons often but not always replace the "hand" elements (it's a waldo type thing) with a heavy weapon, the other arm can be another weapon or more often a powered claw. Though this is not to say B-tech dose not use the infantry weapons as main guns route, some B-tech BA do use this system, but are mostly spec ops and scout suits (I.e. the Gray Death Light and Nighthawk 21 suits). Also often small hard points for regular infantry weapons can be found that allow for light secondary weapons to be used.

The Hard mounted weapons can be configured to be swapped out with a different system if required, a mini Omni unit so to speak.

This is not to say that you should change it, far from it. Though it is something to keep in mind. Your drawing works well for a light suit with hand held weapons, which is common with that class.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2011, 22:52:13 by Nebfer »

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #208 on: 18 September 2011, 17:32:51 »
The Tornado Looks like it's holding a gun to me. O_o http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tornado
The Sentient Mushroom

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #209 on: 18 September 2011, 18:42:04 »
The Tornado Looks like it's holding a gun to me. O_o http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tornado

It's PA(L) so it's not really one for carrying the support weapons you see "proper" battle armor using.
The one, the only, the unnecessary Falchion!

Register