Author Topic: "Bluejacket" patrol cutter  (Read 534 times)

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
"Bluejacket" patrol cutter
« on: 22 January 2024, 20:09:11 »
Bluejacket Patrol Cutter

Mass: 50 tons
Movement Type: Naval
Power Plant: 220 Fuel Cell
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     1 SRT 6
     2 Machine Gun
     2 SRM 4
     1 LRM 15
Manufacturer: Skye Pleasure Craft Limited
     Primary Factory: Skye
Communication System: TharHes Seaweed PG-2
Targeting & Tracking System: TharHes Nav shark
Introduction Year: 2990
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-D-D-D
Cost: 1,479,792 C-bills

Overview
The Bluejacket is a small displacement-hull craft designed to perform security operations in littoral regions.

Capabilities
Following the unexpected success of the Sea Skimmer, Skye Pleasure Craft Limited began developing a larger vessel featuring a wider range of capability. The result of this program was the Bluejacket, a 50-ton displacement vessel designed for use in coastal and riverine areas. Rather than a hydrofoil, it uses a standard hard-chine hull design. Given the vessel's primary mission within confined waters, this layout was chosen in order to increase stability, reduce maintenance costs, and reduce damage from underwater strikes (which, on a hydrofoil, can be potentially catastrophic). As a result, the Bluejacket can operate equally well in shallow rivers or Sea State 4 conditions. Even without a hydrofoil, the powerful fuel cell engine provides a top speed of 86 kph/46 knots. This is more than enough to overtake the vast majority of civilian and commercial watercraft. A single powered lifeboat is included to ensure crew safety, and the vessel is generously protected with 7.5 tons of armor.

In contrast to most other small "military" watercraft the Bluejacket bristles with weaponry. Main armament consists of a prow-mounted LRM-15 launcher with two tons of ammunition. This weapon is typically used for close shore bombardment and fire support. The ship's small turret contains two SRM-4 launchers, with two tons of ammunition between them. One ton of SRM ammunition is typically allocated for inferno rounds; these are ideal for clearing infantry out of dense foliage. The turret also includes a pair of 20mm miniguns.

A 6-tube short-range torpedo system is mounted just below the waterline on the prow. This weapon provides a powerful deterrent against other watercraft and submerged units.

Finally, the vessel can accommodate an infantry team for shore and law enforcement operations.

Deployment
The Bluejacket has seen some commercial success in Lyran and Davion space. Skye Pleasure Craft Ltd promotes the Bluejacket as a vastly superior alternative to the Silverfin coastal cutter. In the disdainful words of SPCL CEO Hector Delgado, "The Silverfin? All those awards it's won? Now that's a case of excellent marketing if there ever was one. It's a toothless deathtrap. It's hard for me to believe that any principled manufacturer would portray a 40-ton vehicle's ability to survive one, and only one, medium laser hit as a positive quality, and yet here are are. Between the lack of survivability and that popgun armament the Silverfin is a toy, not a military asset. Well... at least it's pretty."

Code: [Select]
Type: Bluejacket Patrol Cutter
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Movement Type: Naval
Tonnage: 50
Battle Value: 756

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    5
Engine                        220 Fuel Cell          12
Cruising MP: 5
Flank MP: 8
Heat Sinks:                   1                       0
Control Equipment:                                  2.5
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Turret:                                             0.5
Armor Factor                  120                   7.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   5         28   
     R/L Side               5/5      24/24   
     Rear                    5         20   
     Turret                  5         24   

Weapons
and Ammo                      Location    Tonnage   
LRM 15                         Front        7.0     
SRT 6                          Front        3.0     
2 Machine Gun                  Turret       1.0     
2 SRM 4                        Turret       4.0     
Lifeboat                        Body        1.0     
SRM 4 Inferno Ammo (25)         Body        1.0     
LRM 15 Ammo (16)                Body        2.0     
SRM 4 Ammo (25)                 Body        1.0     
Half Machine Gun Ammo (100)     Body        0.5     
SRT 6 Ammo (15)                 Body        1.0     
Infantry                        Body        1.0     

Features the following design quirks: Searchlight
« Last Edit: 27 January 2024, 23:58:09 by Cavgunner »

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: "Bluejacket" patrol cutter
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2024, 20:28:09 »
Always love seeing some new militia naval forces (that *could* be deployed). Good work Cavgunner.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2024, 21:22:59 »
Not bad, but check the cost with minimum size launchers (2s and 5s).  You'll save some cash that way... ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2024, 10:50:15 »
Try SRM-2s along the Sides and Fore with one Turret mounted, alongside SRTs, dropping one of the SRM Amo for a fourth SRT.

Idea is speed along a plain of attack and fire both weapons, Turret and Arc side. And then boost for a different pattern.

Also, you really don't need a full 200 rounds for the only MG, it is lonely, give him a friend? (Really, a second MG wouldn't hurt.)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2024, 15:49:43 »
Thanks for the great comments! I didn't even notice that I had a full ton of MG ammo. I'll correct that.

To answer previous suggestions, the reason for the larger missile launchers vs multiple smaller launchers (or launchers arrayed all over the ship) is to ensure that all the ship's firepower can be brought to bear on a single target, particularly toward the front.

The fact that the LRM-15 will always hit with at least one 5-point grouping was a major consideration vs multiple LRM-5's. Likewise, the cluster hit table of the SRM-4 is slightly more favorable compared to the SRM-2.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2024, 18:06:44 »
For maximum mayhem, you should have at least one LRT-5.  It only takes one point of damage to cause a breach check under water... ;D

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2024, 00:39:21 »
The fact that the LRM-15 will always hit with at least one 5-point grouping was a major consideration vs multiple LRM-5's. Likewise, the cluster hit table of the SRM-4 is slightly more favorable compared to the SRM-2.
It's the other way around, SRM-2 has a better cluster hit table, and in fact has the best cluster hit table in terms of average % of hits.  SRM-2 averages ~71% while SRM-4 only averages a ~66% hit rate.  LRMs tend to average around 63% or so.

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2024, 13:44:39 »
*checks math*

Hmm, I guess you're right.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2024, 14:45:11 »
Very cool! I love stuff like this!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2024, 22:12:50 »
I really appreciate all the comments. Thank you, everyone.