Author Topic: TacOps rules I wish were standard  (Read 18404 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: TacOps rules I wish were standard
« Reply #90 on: 03 November 2019, 01:50:22 »
I don't know. Based on BMM and CampOps? 150-200 pages, 250 max.

Notice starfinder, printed by the king of big books, Paizo? Bigdonkey core book, and splatbooks in the ~200 page range. Same with PF2; The first ed books are being re-printed in pint-sized 'pocket editions' (Which is what I wish CGL would do with the various ops books, but I don't see that happening.) I think it's a sign of things to come.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2019, 02:11:50 by Greatclub »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 03 November 2019, 02:42:01 »
I don't know. Based on BMM and CampOps? 150-200 pages, 250 max.

Notice starfinder, printed by the king of big books, Paizo? Bigdonkey core book, and splatbooks in the ~200 page range. Same with PF2; The first ed books are being re-printed in pint-sized 'pocket editions' (Which is what I wish CGL would do with the various ops books, but I don't see that happening.) I think it's a sign of things to come.

TW if 314 pages. I'm guessing if fiction and miniatures pages are removed and rules from TacOPs added TWII would be close to 500 pages or more. How big is Starfinder?  Spatbooks? Pocket Editions?  ???

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 03 November 2019, 03:32:12 »
Who said they were going to join TW and Tacops? Last thing I'd expect, aside from a few select bits, like the arrow iv, VSPL, and handful of optional rules they put in BMM.

Starfinder is a bit over 500 pages, but it's a paizo corebook. splatbooks are 150 or so
Shadowrun 6 is ~300 pages, down from the monster 500 page 5th edition.
The pathfinder 2nd edition world guide (Lost omens) is about 150 pages, down from ~350 for the inner sea world guide a decade earlier
Pathfinder pocket editions are the same number of pages as their original printings, but softcover and 6.5"x8.5"; instead of 8.75"x11.25 and hardcover for the first editions.

Battlemech manual, ~150 pages. CampOps, ~200 pages.

Everyone's books are going on a diet. Sad fact of modern publishing, it isn't 2008, or even 2013, anymore.

This is, of course, logic, which is a notable way to be wrong with certainty. I don't know what CGL is going to do.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2019, 04:25:37 by Greatclub »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #93 on: 03 November 2019, 08:48:44 »
How big is their criteria?

Closer to 300 than 400, obviously. They didn’t split tw or tm.

The books bigger than TW are going to get split or potentially just never be reprinted. SO will not be a single volume (and conveniently cleanly splittable around page 200 of 450). AToW and IO have no guarantees of ever seeing a reprint - and will be split if they are.

At the speed the reprints are occurring, I’d expect TWII: Totaler Warfare before they get past SO

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #94 on: 03 November 2019, 09:31:07 »
Split AToW??  How on earth would they do that?  Obviously something would have to move to the Companion, but I wouldn't know where to start...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #95 on: 03 November 2019, 11:17:38 »
They may make an exception if it proves too difficult  but option B in all cases is no reprint. I doubt we’re ever going to get a solid like HB: kurita again to finish the set for the sake of finishing the set.

Churchill’s proclamation that politics are the art of the possible is now the only rubric I apply to my expectations for the IP

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 03 November 2019, 14:20:51 »
Who said they were going to join TW and Tacops? Last thing I'd expect, aside from a few select bits, like the arrow iv, VSPL, and handful of optional rules they put in BMM.

Nobody that I know of but if we keep adding rules for what we'd like to be optional into TWII we might as well add the rules part of TO to TW.

Starfinder is a bit over 500 pages, but it's a paizo corebook. splatbooks are 150 or so
Shadowrun 6 is ~300 pages, down from the monster 500 page 5th edition.
The pathfinder 2nd edition world guide (Lost omens) is about 150 pages, down from ~350 for the inner sea world guide a decade earlier
Pathfinder pocket editions are the same number of pages as their original printings, but softcover and 6.5"x8.5"; instead of 8.75"x11.25 and hardcover for the first editions.

Battlemech manual, ~150 pages. CampOps, ~200 pages.

Everyone's books are going on a diet. Sad fact of modern publishing, it isn't 2008, or even 2013, anymore.

This is, of course, logic, which is a notable way to be wrong with certainty. I don't know what CGL is going to do.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

So it looks like a TW with TO rules would fit in with that. I suppose all the other "Rule" sections could be their own book. I'm not sure how they'd split TM. Maybe move the Aerospace to add to the Advanced Aerospace in SO. Or maybe adding both aerospace section to the construction half of TO. That'd put the construction rules in 3 books instead of 4 or more. But that's me.

I don't know what TPTB have planned but I hope it works.

They may make an exception if it proves too difficult  but option B in all cases is no reprint. I doubt we’re ever going to get a solid like HB: kurita again to finish the set for the sake of finishing the set.

Churchill’s proclamation that politics are the art of the possible is now the only rubric I apply to my expectations for the IP

Problem with option B, is that there won't be any books in the stores to interest new players or old ones.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #97 on: 03 November 2019, 14:48:10 »
If they’re not going to make enough money, it doesn’t matter

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 05 November 2019, 06:39:45 »
Hopefully, they will. I for one don't wish Battletech to end.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 05 November 2019, 14:46:08 »
I'm wondering how close to loss-leaders the last printings have been.  :'(

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #100 on: 06 November 2019, 13:37:21 »
I like Direct Blow and Advanced Determining Criticals, but I like it best when they synergize to give me a +5 bonus on my crit rolls.

Need an 8 to-hit with my AC/20, roll an 11 for a Direct Blow +1 bonus on the crit roll.
21 points of damage applied, taking me over the Advanced Criticals threshold for +4 bonus on the crit roll.
I roll a 7, which normally does nothing, but gets turned into a 12 instead and blows through 2 locations.

:D