Author Topic: First game ever with the kids  (Read 1735 times)

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
First game ever with the kids
« on: 11 May 2013, 13:24:46 »
I played my first game of Battletech ever with my kids today. My five year old's Enforcer was soundly defeated by my Hunchback's AC/20.

My three year-old participated in the second game. Wisely, she and her brother formed a temporary alliance against dear ole Dad. As my son's Cicada maneuvered behind me, my daughter's Hunchback came head-on but could not engage my Enforcer hiding in heavy foliage. Her Hunchback took a lot of damage from my AC/10, as my son peppered me from behind. The Hunchback then plowed into the forest to face the Enforcer at point-black range. The Enforcer tried to flee the more heavily-armed 'Mech but cut off by the speedier Cicada and had difficulty maneuvering in the trees (sans jump jets for our simplified game). The Hunchback then mercilessly tore the Enforcer apart, and it's Mechwarrior was forced to punch out and take refuge in the wood.

The Cicada then turned on its once ally. Rather than stand and fight, the Hunchback decided, unwisely, to flee. The speedier Cicada was able to pepper the heavily damaged Hunchback from behind. Finally, a heavenly voice convinced the Hunchback to turn and fight. Losing the initiative, the Cicada found itself engaged the Hunchback head-to-head,  and the AC/20 devastated the Cicada. Sensing an opening to, again, flee, the Hunchback made for the woods---all the time being peppered by the Cicada. Once in the woods, the two colossal war machines turned to face each other for a final time. Perhaps the Hunchback's targeting computer was damaged, we may never know, but all of its shots missed. The Cicada's skilled Mechwarrior then placed a shot squarely in the Hunchback's damaged head---killing the 'Mech in a single blow.

Of course, we played without heat rules (or a lot of other rules) and a lot of guidance from Daddy.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: First game ever with the kids
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2013, 15:00:44 »
Sounds good!

My only advice - with kids this age, make sure you lose ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2013, 12:22:06 »
We tried it again today. Daddy piloted a Wasp facing off against Joshua in a Stinger and Sarah in a Locust (all unseen). It was a battle of high acrobatics, as very few shots found home due to the 'Mech's high maneuvering dance on the battleground. The kids quickly caught on that it is to their advantage to shoot Daddy's 'Mech in the back. While the Wasp valiantly jumped through trees and mountains trying to protect his back while engaging the enemy, and while the Locust had both its arms blown off and the Stinger also took some internal damage, everything came to a head when the Wasp found itself surrounded out in the open.

The Stinger pressed forward to engage with both its medium laser and left fist---managing to tear the Wasp's right arm off. As the Mechwarrior saw his medium laser lying useless on the scarred and pot-marked earth, the Locust attacked from behind and destroyed the Wasp's left torso and, consequently, the Wasp's SRM 2 ammo slot. Finding itself left with little more than kicking attacks, the Wasp ejected into the woods.

The game lasted just long enough to keep their attention.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2013, 23:33:38 »
Well you are teaching them right.  And just remember that when the other 2 are old enough they will be able to form a lance against you.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho