Author Topic: (Answered) Blue Water Naval Units and Vehicle Bays  (Read 2038 times)

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
(Answered) Blue Water Naval Units and Vehicle Bays
« on: 15 November 2018, 07:57:32 »
Blue water Naval Combat Vehicles (TM, p.94) are allowed to use Vehicle Bays (TM, p.239-240), but I am unsure if there are any restrictions in their "Mounting" and "Dismounting" (TW, p.89-90).  Reading the rules as written, they are able to enter or exit a Vehicle Bay in one turn.  That is how I have been playing them for some time.  It has been suggested to me, that this is unrealistic, and that the Naval Vehicles should use the Airborne rules for deployment.  This means the DropShip's cranes would be used instead.  It would take 4 turns to mount a unit and 3 turns to dismount a unit.

1)   Do Naval Combat Vehicles use the Ground Unit rules for Mounting/Dismounting, or do they use the Airborne Unit rules?

There are many Large Support Vehicles that have Vehicle Bays, and some of them are sea-going.  There are additional rules for Large Naval Vessels that allow them to Dismount units while they are moving (TO, p.156).

2)   May a sea-going carrying unit Dismount Naval Combat Vehicles while moving?  If so, does the carried unit have to make a Driving Skill Roll?
« Last Edit: 12 August 2020, 23:42:34 by Xotl »

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
Re: Blue Water Naval Units and Vehicle Bays
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2018, 06:43:13 »
Monthly Bump #1.  I have edited the topic so that the questions are now simpler for the rules team.  All of the TRO citations have been removed.

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
Re: Blue Water Naval Units and Vehicle Bays
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2019, 06:53:16 »
Bump #2.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Blue Water Naval Units and Vehicle Bays
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2020, 23:42:27 »
1. Ground.

2. The naval vessel generally ought to use the rules for small craft launching and recovery in TW pp. 86-87.  However, TO p. 156 under Carrying Units states "If a Large Naval Vessel expends MP in the same turn that units are dismounting, only units with Jumping/VTOL MP (including fighters using VTOL movement to take off) may disembark".
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register