Author Topic: (Answered) Airship movement  (Read 1920 times)

Rayneth

• Recruit
  • Conflicted Member of the Purple People
(Answered) Airship movement
« on: 30 April 2019, 08:38:48 »
So I am interesting in designing an Airship. for the purpose of crafting a cargo hauler, but I am having difficulty wrapping my head around how the aerospace rules applies to them. I downloaded the latest errata for Total Warfare that didn't really dispel any of my confusion.

So my take on it so far is that Airships are bound to the Ground map scale since they are barred from entering the low-altitude and high altitude maps.

The confusion comes with their construction, movement and thrust.

1) As per their first paragraph on pg 204, "Airships move far more slowly thanmost other conventional air vehicles and can be designed using fractional Thrust Points."

So does this mean they can be given Safe thrusts of 1.5 during the designs? With a corresponding Max thrust of 3.0 (1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25 rounded up to 3)? Tech Manual seems to confirm that but I'd like to know if I am doing this right since examples of Airships in Vehicle Annex don't seem to use fractional.

Reread and discovered that its to the nearest 0.25 fraction so 2.25 would be the max speed.

2) How does their whole Thrust cycle movement work? The whole thing confuses me and I am sure where to begin seems it seems at odds with how the aerospace movement works completely.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2019, 13:04:30 by Xotl »

Rayneth

• Recruit
  • Conflicted Member of the Purple People
Re: Airship movement
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2019, 03:05:32 »
Its been awhile, so I'd like to mention that the construction rules were figured out after rereading Tech Manual.

The movement part still boggles me though. Its made mentioned that the airship stockpiles thrust points, I assume to account for the fact that they use fractional thrust. Thats fine. What confuses me is how the spending of thrust works, and how evidently its tied to how fast the ship is already moving in.

As an example, my airship is moving at velocity 0.25 in Cycle 1. I decide to give it a constant thrust of 1.0 during the cycle, and can use one thrust point on the first turn of the cycle, which can be used to accelerate, decelerate, land or hover. I assume as I can't spend anymore thrust points, I don't burn anymore fuel points. And per the example, the velocity of the aircraft is maintained. So at the end of Cycle 1 on turn 4, my ship gains +1 Velocity to 1.25 Velocity, which immediately gets halved due to atmospheric drag and goes from 1.25 to 0.625 rounded down to 0.5 Velocity.

On Cycle 2, we maintain a thrust of 1.0 and can spend Thrust points on Turn 1 and 3, and use both times to accelerate. So 0.5 goes up to 2.5 at the end of the turn, before getting halved to 1.25. 2 Fuel points spent total.

On Cycle 3, we can now spend 2 thrust points on turn 1 and 1 thrust point on 2-4, and maintain our current thrust. To avoid going out of control, we only spend 1 thrust point to reach 2.25 speed which is halved to 1.0. 1 fuel point spend.

Etc. etc. until we eventually and slowly reach full speed at 3.0 Velocity, thus maintaining a rather inconsistent velocity (1.5 velocity halved after then 2.5 etc) but spending very little fuel to keep going.

Am I getting this right?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Airship movement
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2019, 13:04:23 »
Yeah, I think you've got it right.  My regrets over the complexities of these rules.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0