Author Topic: Wizkids Dark Age Accuracy?  (Read 2784 times)

Nostra

• Corporal
Wizkids Dark Age Accuracy?
« on: 16 November 2011, 19:02:33 »
Hey there peoples. So I recently found a copy of Mechwarrior: Technology of Destruction in an old book store. I noticed it had some interesting info in it, including a huge 'mech and vehicle size scale chart, as well as diagrams of internal structure and cockpit setup. I was wondering if this info was considered official Battletech Canon, especially the size/scale chart. Some of it seems....er....questionable, but then again I didn't write the background :P

Particular questionable tidbits are mostly the heights or widths of certain 'mechs. The cougar pictured (and even its dark age model) is absurdly wide looking, and the chart shows a 50 ton Legionnaire as being the same height as a 100 ton Atlas, and almost twice as wide.

Nostra

• Corporal
Re: Wizkids Dark Age Accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2011, 17:28:12 »
Seriously, nothing? -_-

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2011, 17:57:10 »
Hello,

It is actually uncommon of me to answer questions quickly, being busy making product and all.

At any rate, there was--at the time of the WizKids Dark Age game--an effort to nail down the various figures to a set scale (N-scale). The table shown in the Technology of Destruction uses the figures to generate the comparison chart. In theory, that should make them accurate....

Only, well, the figures didn't all wind up at the scale they should have (the Cougar is a 35-ton chicken-walker design; it's profile should be much lower than that of an 100-ton upright monster like the Atlas).

Final answer: No; they are not canon.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Nostra

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2011, 18:30:34 »
Thanks very much, sorry I got slightly irritated with the slowness of answer. Appreciate the fine product though!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2011, 17:37:03 »
Hello,

You are welcome.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Nostra

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2011, 02:16:50 »
If I might further the question now to add one more level of complexity.... if the Dark Age 'mech models in N-Scale and that book aren't canon scale-wize, are the current Ironwind Metals models in normal Battletech scale correctly scaled with each other?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2011, 02:18:11 »
Hello,

Not really, no.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs