Author Topic: MWO - MechCon 'Mech 2018 - The Cosair - PGI Original  (Read 11411 times)

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
MWO - MechCon 'Mech 2018 - The Cosair - PGI Original
« on: 01 December 2018, 17:26:55 »
Perhaps PGI learned their lesson, no super early leaks/teases this year - first shot popped up today:

« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 21:50:03 by Cyc »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Re: MWO - MechCon 'Mech 2018 - The Cosair - PGI Original
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2018, 21:52:12 »
The Corsair - 95 ton Inner Sphere 'Mech - "FrankenMech" from the Periphery

https://mwomercs.com/corsair - buy it now

https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/11/2179-corsair-lore - Corsair Lore by Randall

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2018, 22:14:19 »
It is hideous. I love it.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 12:17:43 »
Neat look and concept, but I don't think it fits with what they're doing with it.

The heavier such “FrankenMechs” are often also referred to as “Corsairs”, though no exact weight or chassis applies. Instead, Corsairs are these desperate chop-shop heavy and assault BattleMechs forged from parts from a variety of different ’Mechs, whatever can be found on forgotten battlefields.

The Corsair is a chop-shop custom with no specific weight or chassis, yet everyone will buy the exact same machine as though it were a production model.  ::)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2018, 12:43:24 »
MWO with gatcha style mechanics when you buy a corsair pack?  Hmmm....

Neat look and concept, but I don't think it fits with what they're doing with it.

The Corsair is a chop-shop custom with no specific weight or chassis, yet everyone will buy the exact same machine as though it were a production model.  ::)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2018, 14:54:07 »
Man, going over to the MWO thread about this mech reminded me of why I stopped going on those forums. People hate this thing.

That said, the guy complaining that his wallet was still closed because it wasn't a Crusader was funny.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2018, 15:18:29 »
Chest looks like there a bulldozer bade attached to part of the chest.  ;D

One armed thing is different. the Specs on it are..lackluster to me.  It will be interesting to see it in combat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2018, 15:44:19 »
Number of folk in the FB pages aren't happy either.
 They also forget MW4 did the same thing, adding in mechs that weren't *canon* at the time.  And they still gush about that one over mw3.

Man, going over to the MWO thread about this mech reminded me of why I stopped going on those forums. People hate this thing.

That said, the guy complaining that his wallet was still closed because it wasn't a Crusader was funny.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2018, 17:09:18 »
I'm not against them trying introduce original things once in a while.  Hell this maybe nifty.  This thing should be darn rare, given assault mechs in time period this fluff was happening was side of rare as hell.  That's like Godzilla sighting.

Given what happened with the law suit. I hope hell they are going do the Crusader, but who knows how much longer MWO will go on way it is, once MW5 comes out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2018, 21:36:59 »
MechCon is always PGI originals, expecting Crusader or Wasp/Stinger this month was questionable.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2018, 10:37:15 »
Just finished up MECH-CON last night. My son, who is also a Demo Agent was helping run a free Play Grinder-esque table at MECH-CON, and at the end of the night was gifted a 3D-printed Corsair model by one of the PGI devs.

While yes it's not a crisp, professional model, the best part is knowing that because PGI or their workers printed it I can show it off.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 12:28:21 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

M4nG4n

• Recruit
  • 3D Space is my domain...
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2018, 02:19:51 »
I'm fine with the Corsair, especially that I asked PGI for Periphery Mech. Shame that I couldn't arrive, because it was too far away and I couldn't afford it.

@NeonKnight Thanks for the card, but I think to recreate it from MegaMekLab. ;)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2018, 09:29:08 »
Holy crap, I just realized one of the standard variants can mount quad AMS. Move over, Piranha and Nova, there's a new AMS boat in town.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2018, 09:36:29 »
I'm fine with the Corsair, especially that I asked PGI for Periphery Mech. Shame that I couldn't arrive, because it was too far away and I couldn't afford it.

@NeonKnight Thanks for the card, but I think to recreate it from MegaMekLab. ;)

No worries. CGL actually had record sheets for the following:

Corsair COR-7R
Corsair COR-5R
Corsair COR-5T

Sun Spider Prime
Sun Spider C
Sun Spider D

Roughneck RGH-1B
Roughneck RGH-3A
Roughneck 'Reaver' RGH-R

My purpose of posting the record sheet is that in sanctioned CGL/Tournament play, a unit can only be used in Sanction Play if there is an official Fasa/Topps/Catalyst record sheet out there.

These sheets are Catalyst sheets, brought in by Mr Randall Bills himself, technically speaking, the MegaMek sheets are not official. :(

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2018, 12:20:22 »
Be interesting to see how these mechs are introduced into tabletop play canonwise.  Corisar could be though that new sourcebook coming out next year.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2018, 12:56:44 »
CGL has been... unenthusiastic... about the original PGI designs so far.

If by "sourcebook coming out next year" you mean the Arano Housebook, keep in mind that it will have little if anything to do with MWO and its original designs. HBS is yet another faction, and while they licensed the MWO designs from HBS they're not likely to include the "Ravager" Corsair, given that it's a one-off design that operated in the periphery on the virtual opposite end of the Inner Sphere more than a decade down the timeline from the HBS game.

Edit: Ravager, not Roughneck. Although they're pretty much in the same boat...
« Last Edit: 07 December 2018, 14:11:46 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2018, 09:09:04 »
Yuck, more GreebleTech. At least this one kinda justifies it by being a pirate Mad Max ride.

Paint job isn't so much intimidating as painful to look at. Maybe pirates figure if it's ugly enough their enemies will go blind?

Tried to read the "lore" for lulz, couldn't make it beyond two or three paragraphs before the cringing caused me to hit the previous page button on my mouse.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2018, 10:35:46 »
Those sheets are not official and those designs are not canon for the tabletop. CGL cannot use the PGI-created designs, no matter what “part” CGL or its employees play in the creation of the designs. When asked for confirmation, Randall and Brent stated that those were provided by a demo agent and they allowed it *this time only* as part of the hype at MechCon.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 07 December 2018, 11:18:46 »
Those sheets are not official and those designs are not canon for the tabletop. CGL cannot use the PGI-created designs, no matter what “part” CGL or its employees play in the creation of the designs. When asked for confirmation, Randall and Brent stated that those were provided by a demo agent and they allowed it *this time only* as part of the hype at MechCon.

:(

Durn....

But...Understandable

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 07 December 2018, 11:43:24 »
Those sheets are not official and those designs are not canon for the tabletop.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Of course, the Randall Bills LD ruling about MWO Hero 'Mech fluff being tabletop canon remains so there's that...
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2018, 14:07:25 »
Thanks for clearing that up.
Of course, the Randall Bills LD ruling about MWO Hero 'Mech fluff being tabletop canon remains so there's that...

That ruling only applies to existing mechs from CGL. Ray provided the definitive ruling on PGI mechs, they are in no way canon.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2018, 17:36:42 »
CGL really do need to start talking with PGI and HBS more. I am pretty damn sure co-operation is more profitable across the board that constantly setting the fan base against itself (as if we don't do that enough on our own).

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2018, 18:55:48 »
CGL really do need to start talking with PGI and HBS more.
I'm pretty sure that things are a whole lot more complicated than that, especially since neither CGL nor PGI only license the portion of the IP that they use. I would think that sort of decision is at the Topps and Microsoft level.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #23 on: 08 December 2018, 00:08:35 »
CGL really do need to start talking with PGI and HBS more.
”start talking”
CGL had been talking to PGI since before the public knew about MWO. I’d say the level of cooporation you’ve seen over the past 5+ years is about what you can expect for the near future.

These are different companies (different licensees) with different properties, and different objectives and even different customer bases, believe it or not. Fasa split the universe up decades ago, we’re all just doing the best that we can.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 00:11:46 by Adrian Gideon »
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 08 December 2018, 01:21:35 »
If you guys can make the Arano Housebook happen then "doing the best you can" is pretty darn good indeed.

For the record, personally I'm well impressed with CGL's handling of the IP. I think Randall Bills played it maybe a bit too fast and loose with canon as LD, but the LD-level clarifications upthread excluding the new PGI designs goes a long way to fix possible problems coming from the blanket canonization of Hero 'Mech fluff. I'll be updating certain Sarna articles shortly.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: 13 March 2019, 21:25:38 »
Soooon

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #26 on: 14 March 2019, 04:41:39 »
Countdown to the Dieselnurdler.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 14 March 2019, 05:35:47 »
Funny thing, i spotted one of those things in the wild couple days ago.   I tried asking about it, but didn't get a response.

I think it may been some kind pre-paid thing or something, it was definitely, old Lefty aka Corsair.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: 14 March 2019, 17:19:04 »
Unless it was a preview stream, I'm unsure how. All the NGNG previews are on dev servers so no public games. Maybe saw a Thunderbolt or Roughneck at a distance?

And preview images roll on - desktop shots - and are interesting. Variants feature different arms styles.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #29 on: 14 March 2019, 19:23:53 »
Tell you what. It's going to be an utter tool to draw.

(Also note the original Forest Colony and Frozen City maps)