Author Topic: Robo-Jack Small Craft  (Read 547 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Robo-Jack Small Craft
« on: 30 December 2023, 20:12:56 »
The idea behind this is to create a Robotic Small Craft that can adequately perform most possible tasks.

Shuttle: kinda for a single infantry platoon and 25 tons of cargo.
Defense: with a pair of AMS systems and 3 tons of ammo it can intercept some missiles from a single direction. It also has ECM.
Recon: Yes, using the Satellite Imager, Active Probe, and Remote Sensors/Dispenser.
Refueling: it has a Refueling Drogue but only 15 tons of fuel.
Combat: It has Elite robotics, 2 ERLLs in the nose and 2 MPLs in the aft, so it isn't completely helpless.
Bombing: well it has a TAG and lets say that 25 tons of cargo would fit nicely with a Internal Bomb Bay quirk.

Now the question, is the design properly balanced between the tasks?

Code: [Select]
Robo-Jack Small Craft (General)
Type: Military Aerodyne
Mass: 200 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Introduced: 2760
Mass: 200
Battle Value: 1,539
Tech Rating/Availability: E/E-F(F*)-F-F
Cost: 18,156,750 C-bills

Fuel: 15 tons (1,200)
Safe Thrust: 4
Maximum Thrust: 6
Heat Sinks: 13 (26)
Structural Integrity: 6

Armor
    Nose: 111
    Sides: 95/95
    Aft: 81

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Infantry (Foot) (5)     1 Door   
    Bay 2:  Cargo (25.0 tons)       1 Door   

Ammunition:
    36 rounds of Anti-Missile System [IS] ammunition (3 tons)

Escape Pods: 0
Life Boats: 0
Crew:  1 officer, 2 enlisted/non-rated, 1 gunner, 28 bay personnel

Notes: Mounts 20 tons of ferro-aluminum armor.

Weapons
and Ammo                                          Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
TAG                                                 Nose      1.0      0      0    0    0    0 
2 Anti-Missile System                               Nose      1.0      1      3    0    0    0 
2 ER Large Laser                                    Nose      10.0     12     8    8    8    0 
Remote Sensors/Dispenser                            Aft       0.5      -      -    -    -    - 
2 Medium Pulse Laser                                Aft       4.0      4      6    0    0    0 
Refueling Drogue/Fluid Suction System               Aft       1.0      -      -    -    -    - 
Active Probe                                        Hull      1.5      -      -    -    -    - 
Shielded Aerospace Smart Robotic Control System     Hull      16.0     -      -    -    -    - 
ECM Suite                                           Hull      1.5      -      -    -    -    - 
Satellite Imager                                    Hull      2.5      -      -    -    -    - 

Quirk: Internal Bomb Bay
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Robo-Jack Small Craft
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2023, 20:24:30 »
It still seems to have a crew though?  Also, you really want Laser AMS... other than that, it seems relatively balanced...

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2023, 20:29:07 »
It still seems to have a crew though?
MML is in denial about robotic units, it will always claim that there is crew, and they do get steerage quarters. 

Also, you really want Laser AMS... other than that, it seems relatively balanced...
Thanks, Laser AMS would be an option for a later era variant.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2023, 20:56:35 »
It still seems to have a crew though?  Also, you really want Laser AMS... other than that, it seems relatively balanced...

You still need to put the steerage on the robotic units for the minimum personnel if it's not robotic. Perhaps that's why MML does not even cares for removing the crew requirement on that - for you are need to check the minimum crew anyways. It does not supports the proper weight for caspar system right now, though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2023, 21:18:01 »
Ah, MML artifacts... right then! ;D

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2023, 01:58:46 »
Hmm.  Interesting!  I'm starting the drone/robotics part of my project soon, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

Tell me, have you created smaller robots? I was planning to keep them as small as possible for my project.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2023, 03:24:06 »
I actually like the idea of a refuelling robotic small craft

Maybe keep the armaments, defences, drop the infantry and recon stuff the mothership drops this off and it loiterers refueling as needed. If it can't be recovered no crew lost
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2023, 08:27:30 »
Hmm.  Interesting!  I'm starting the drone/robotics part of my project soon, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

Tell me, have you created smaller robots? I was planning to keep them as small as possible for my project.
I had considered platoons of 100kg SV vehicles as a way to deploy smaller robots, right now I am planning stuff with BA based drones such as those in the Robot Apocalypse design needed thread.
Another advantage of this design could be to store a squad of PAL drones in the technician quarters and use the infantry bay for larger robotic infantry.

I actually like the idea of a refuelling robotic small craft

Maybe keep the armaments, defences, drop the infantry and recon stuff the mothership drops this off and it loiterers refueling as needed. If it can't be recovered no crew lost
That is likely best for a more specialized spheroid small craft design, such a thing could easily carry over a 100 tons of fuel.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2024, 17:56:16 »

Here is an example of a specialized robotic small craft, it is focused on cargo but cargo space can also be used to store fuel tanks (less efficient but possible).

Robo-Donkey Small Craft
Type: Military Spheriod
Introduced: 2700
Battle Value: 595
Tech Rating/Availability: F/E-X-X-X
Cost: 12,425,500 C-bills

Fuel: 10 tons (800)
Safe Thrust: 3
Maximum Thrust: 5
Heat Sinks: 7
Structural Integrity: 5

Armor
    Nose: 51
    Sides: 51/51
    Aft: 51

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Cargo (100.0 tons)      3 Doors   

Ammunition:
None

Crew:  1 officer, 2 enlisted/non-rated, 1 gunner

Notes: Mounts 11.5 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
Medium Pulse Laser           Nose      2.0      4      6    0    0    0 
Recon Camera                 Nose      0.5      -      -    -    -    - 
2 Small Laser                Nose      1.0      1      3    0    0    0 
Refueling Drogue             Aft       1.0      -      -    -    -    - 
2 Small Laser                Aft       1.0      1      3    0    0    0 
SDS Drone Control System     Hull      10.0     -      -    -    -    - 

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2024, 18:04:53 »
BA  drones?  Have you considered bipeds or will you go with quads or something else?  I came up with wheeled BA, so i skipped over legged stuff.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2024, 18:24:02 »
If you're designing a dedicated fueler, just increase the size of the thing's fuel tank... no pesky cargo penalty for that... ;)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2024, 18:50:56 »
If you're designing a dedicated fueler, just increase the size of the thing's fuel tank... no pesky cargo penalty for that... ;)
What about this?

Robo-Camel Small Craft
Type: Military Spheriod
Introduced: 2700
Battle Value: 547
Tech Rating/Availability: F/E-X-X-X
Cost: 12,282,000 C-bills

Fuel: 100 tons (8,000)
Safe Thrust: 3
Maximum Thrust: 5
Heat Sinks: 7
Structural Integrity: 5

Armor
    Nose: 51
    Sides: 51/51
    Aft: 51

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Cargo (10.0 tons)       1 Door   

Ammunition:
None

Crew:  1 officer, 2 enlisted/non-rated, 1 gunner

Notes: Mounts 11.5 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
2 Small Laser                Nose      1.0      1      3    0    0    0 
2 Small Laser                Aft       1.0      1      3    0    0    0 
2 Refueling Drogue           Hull      2.0      -      -    -    -    - 
SDS Drone Control System     Hull      10.0     -      -    -    -    - 

BA  drones?  Have you considered bipeds or will you go with quads or something else?  I came up with wheeled BA, so i skipped over legged stuff.
Biped & Quads.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2024, 19:12:21 »
Yep, just like that!  You're only paying for the pumps... :)

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2024, 19:31:15 »
Is that an insulated cargo bay?  I thought there were specific transport bays for things like this?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2024, 19:57:10 »
Is that an insulated cargo bay?  I thought there were specific transport bays for things like this?
The 10 ton cargo bay of the Robo-Camel is just a regular one, the fuel is now all in that 100 ton Fuel tank.

Personally I almost never use the specific transport bays (liquid/refrigerated/insulated/livestock). For example if I wanted to adapt the Robo-Jack for a minor refueling mission then I would place a pair of specific (liquid) cargo containers inside the regular cargo bay. It is less efficient fluff solution (9.1 tons of fuel for a 10 ton container) but an adaptable one.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2024, 21:05:22 »
Personally I almost never use the specific transport bays (liquid/refrigerated/insulated/livestock). For example if I wanted to adapt the Robo-Jack for a minor refueling mission then I would place a pair of specific (liquid) cargo containers inside the regular cargo bay. It is less efficient fluff solution (9.1 tons of fuel for a 10 ton container) but an adaptable one.

Hmm.  You know, a standardized mass allows you to carry all kinds of options - for example, I designed an 80-ton logistic support vehicle (Pic rel) with all kinds of options.  I did the 'Mules' (Drone tow vehicles) the same way, designed to pull a set trailer tonnage.

Why not design something as multi-purpose as possible?  Note, I'm not talking about Omnivehicles, I'm talking about something like the 'Rapid Dragon' concept being explored by the US Air Force Transport Command?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZLDDpIzGvg