Author Topic: Foward for the Confederation! - 2nd Tikonov Guards Alpha Strike project  (Read 9340 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
having finally figured out where all my mechs are, and updating my collection records with a few i'd forgotten i had, i'm ready to start with my first Alpha Strike project. I went with the CapCon because they'll make great villains for games and campaigns. since i rather liked the look of the Green&Goldenrod of the MWDA figures, and love the background they've been given, i decided to do one of the Tikonov Guards. i decided on the 2nd Tikonov Guards, since i think i can freehand their insignia. plus the more russian elements in them seemed liek a fun alternative to the more chinese elements of the rest of the CapCon.

I ended up creating a 600pv reinforced augmented company. this is what it looks like right now:

i still need to find some Goldenrod paint (or something similar) but the first step is reassembling ones with parts that fell off, and stripping the 3 mechs and the tank that need it.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2017, 15:31:53 by glitterboy2098 »

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Fun project! Here's a recent example of a unit from the 1st Guards if you'd like some inspiration. For goldenrod, you can mix a touch of brown paint with yellow.

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
Fun project! Here's a recent example of a unit from the 1st Guards if you'd like some inspiration. For goldenrod, you can mix a touch of brown paint with yellow.

...Is that a Victor? I mean it looks basically 1:1 like the MW:O version of the Victor, just with an arm with no Lower Arm Actuator.

Edit: Oh wait, i remember now, it's that... Lu Wei Bing mech, yeah? Like a 3100s Victor or something?
The mini is gorgeous though.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
i took a bunch of pics of various figures from my MWDA collection, before i sold the whole lot of mech figures. not ideal as references, but i needed the money at the time.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxIuaTgKKEs4ODlkcEJXcWE3SDQ

i'll probably use more Goldenrod than Green.. i have plans for a Swordsworn aligned unit, and since that faction used Green with Blue, i'd like some nice visual contrast. i figure the Spider figure in my pics there will be the main inspiration.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
I painted a very similar scheme on a few of my MWDA mechs long ago to expand my force, and the base colour I used to duplicate that shade was GW Taucept Ochre with a panel highlight of Butterscotch craft paint. It looked spot on. GW has since changed the names of the colours, but they still make an equivalent that should work right. 😁

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
I'm looking forward to seeing this come together! I did an aug company for my "A Call to War" project, later expanded it to a full aug battalion. They're a heck of a lot of fun to work out, and you can get some really great combinations.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
progress from last night:
Locusts have been repaired (the unpainted one needed the back leg glued firm, the painted one needed a replacement arm.. which i had from another plastic that bit the dust. might use parts of said shattered plastic as base decorations for other figures)
Wraith arms have been re-glued
work is underway to pin and repair the LRM pod on the green thunderbolt. sadly my hand drill's bits are a little dull, so taking a long time.  :( (what i get for having to use them to drill pewter several times)
the Raven Narc Pods turned up in my bits compartment, so i'll be trying to fit those on. not sure why RP made such tiny fiddly bits separate.
the Jovian Chronicles figure is going to cause a few headaches.. forgot that it was scuplted as a space unit, so no way to get a good walking/running/standing pose out of it. so will probably need to figure out how to make a flying base for it to portray it in the middle of a IJJ leap. (i have 1.5inch wood hexagons for its base.. just need to figure out if i can support it on a paperclip, or if i need a stronger wire.) might also try and find a replacement head.. the one it comes with tiny. might steal a spare from my Robotech Tactics sprues, a VF-1A (aka stinger) head might work right.

going to try and grab some brake fluid or pine oil to strip the figures next walmart run.

will give pictures once the Jovian Chronicles figure is assembled.. it's gonna be a "prototype" Yinghuochong YHC-3E.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Yinghuochong YHC-3E done!

head is a Robotech Tactics VF-1R bit, the gun is a spare MAD-5L arm (left over after i fixed my MAD-5L awhile back.. one gun arm had broken off an i'd had to buy spare parts to fix it)

the locust on the base was because i figured i'd need a stronger mounting point for the paperclip flight stand than just a thin plywood base. so i used the torso from the busted 3rd ed locust i had.

right now it is not glued to the flight stand.. i'll do that after painting.

« Last Edit: 23 September 2017, 21:20:26 by glitterboy2098 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Looking good! Captures the feel of the art.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
got my paint (not goldenrod, but a suitably dark orange), but it looks to be raining soon so couldn't prime today. we'll see what tomorrow looks like. going to see if i have the stuff for stripping paint so i can get the striker and battle lances primered. guess i'll be doing the recon and Fire Support/Command lance first.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 19:35:30 by glitterboy2098 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Foward for the Confederation! - 2nd Tikonov Guards Alpha Strike project
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2017, 20:16:30 »
ok so unit break down. these images do not show the Two Squads of Fa Shih BA attached to the Fire support, Recon, and Striker Lances.

The Fire Support Lance, which also is the (Battalion) Command Lance
two CPLT-C3 Catapult's (one is the old crappy sculpt.. it's what i have. that one will be replaced when i get a chance)
a Cyclops CP-11-A-DC Dual Cockpit/Command Console Cyclops. for the Battalion Commander.
and a MAD-5L Marauder, the Battalion XO's ride.

Battle Lance
Three Thunderbolt TDR-7M's
one Vindicator VND-3Lr
and a pair of Vedette Medium Tank (Standard)'s to make it an augmented lance. (two GHQ Merkava IV's.)

Striker Lance
Two Cicada CDA-3M's (boxset plastics, with some bits to add UAC barrels to them)
and two Locust LCT-1Vb's (3rd ed boxset plastics)

Recon Lance.
two RVN-4L Raven's
a "prototype" YHC-3E Yinghuochong, the Lance Commander.
and a Wraith TR1, which mainly is there to give it a bit more firepower.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2017, 22:32:51 »
Nice group there.  Looking forward to seeing them all painted up!   8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2017, 22:50:15 »
Jeez... that Marauder sure ate his Wheaties...  :o
That mini is huge!!
(Also, kudos! You can never have to many T-Bolts!!) 😁

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2017, 23:27:05 »
Jeez... that Marauder sure ate his Wheaties...  :o
That mini is huge!!
it is pretty big. but at the same time, it is mostly leg. it's basically on stilts.

(Also, kudos! You can never have to many T-Bolts!!) 😁
i actually have a 4th plastic, but it has this big casting bubble/hole/deformation right in the center of the torso. makes it look terrible. some of the others have minor ones but they're in less visible places. the 3rd ed plastics had some real hit or miss castings.

btw, any suggestions on what i should pain the dead locust as unit wise? with my paint selection i can't do a lot of the paint schemes.. but i do have the White and gold needed for one of the Principes Guards units. or the black and gold of the Hastati Sentinels. (i'd do republic standing guard, but don't have anything resembling olive green.)
« Last Edit: 27 September 2017, 01:35:33 by glitterboy2098 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2017, 17:39:11 »
Got a mid-green, and some black or brown ink/wash? Problem solved O0

Looking forward to seeing paint on them!

W.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2017, 19:22:40 »
i have a very dark green and a very light green.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2017, 19:37:03 »
Try the light green with brown ink.

If you have a GW shop, I completely & heartily recommend the Citadel inks range. If you want to get ink from a hobby/art shop, I recommend watering it down 1 dose ink to 3 water. A bit thin is fine; you can always add another layer, but it's kinda hard to take half a layer off ;)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2017, 19:58:45 »
no ink.. i've had to make washes using rubbing alcohol and the regular paint. very shoestring budget here. (my twin brother was the one who was the skilled painter and had all the fancy paints. i'm using cheaper craft paint stuff (thinned out) and aiming for decent fundementals. no chance of a camospecs entry here, sadly.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2017, 19:29:17 »
Always thrilled to see Capellans.  Looking forward to the final project, especially those Thuds.
Hayden

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
stripping underway

having found some brake fluid i decided to read up on it again, since it had been a few years.. and then discovered that it can melt some type of plastic.  :P

so using Simple Green. figure i'll do the first scrubbing later today. just wish the plastic mechs didn't float

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
just wish the plastic mechs didn't float

Excited to see how they turn out.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
one T-bolt and the locust now paint free, the tank is as paint free as i can make it, but the 2nd T-bolt needs more soaking time. probably because it has like 3 layers of old paint (it was one of the my first battlemechs from when i started back in the mid 90's)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
If you have a Dremel, or a cheap-ass $20 Dremel imitation, hit the mini with the nylon brush wheel while the paint is still soft-ish from the soak. Cleans things up a treat! You can try the brass brush wheel if you think you've got something unmovable, and are prepared to use a light hand.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
i think it'll be fine. it is mostly a case of certain joints and recesses needing some extra scrubbing with a toothbrush.

i might stick some of the other parts of my collection into the jar after these.. even if i'm not going ot use it right away, it can't hurt to strip some of the stuff that has old and ugly paintjobs
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 19:51:31 by glitterboy2098 »

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
When I strip plastic minis I use a wire twisty tie and attach a largish steel nut to the base. No float anymore...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
took a nail to the harder to reach crevasses and picked out as much as i could after a 2nd scrubbing. it is as clean as it is going to get. looks like it had a thick blue and black paintjob, then a brown one, then a green and black.. man my painting back then sucked, and i clearly didn't know how to strip paint. basically a 20+ year old crappy paintjob underneath. no wonder it was so hard to get off.

will probably primer tomorrow, unless i get called in to work.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
LMAO...the scaling of that MAD...so much fail.

Nice work on the Bing.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Great job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
weather has not been friendly lately.. yesterday it was way too windy to primer.. and today it looks like rain. :(

hopefully it'll clear up later in the week.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello

The Fire Support Lance, which also is the (Battalion) Command Lance
two CPLT-C3 Catapult's (one is the old crappy sculpt.. it's what i have. that one will be replaced when i get a chance)
a Cyclops CP-11-A-DC Dual Cockpit/Command Console Cyclops. for the Battalion Commander.
and a MAD-5L Marauder, the Battalion XO's ride.

Wow, never realized just how oversized the Reseen Marauder mini really is!

Black_Knyght

• Captain
so using Simple Green. figure i'll do the first scrubbing later today. just wish the plastic mechs didn't float

Tie a heavy nut to them by a piece of string and floating isn't an issue

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
eh, it isn't that bad.. it is mostly just the stilt legs, the Unseen marauder was pretty big too.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
Maybe so, though my Unseen Marauders aren't half again taller than my Cyclopes. ;)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Maybe so, though my Unseen Marauders aren't half again taller than my Cyclopes. ;)
no, but they do have nearly half again as much volume.. marauders are big, no matter how you cut it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel

managed to get some priming down today. that's 8 of 24 figures.

went with the Scout and Striker lances first because i still need to do some cleanup on the others.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Good news, I finally have what I need to base my tanks and my battle armor, so I will be able to return to this soon and work on the other lances as well as finishing up the recon and strikers.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
Where is the "I love this!" button?
ho, well, gonna add a homer
 [drool]
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
and in my excitement over getting the small rectangles of wood i need to base my smaller stuff, i forgot that the weather is well below freezing, and is going to stay that way for several weeks from the forecast. :(

no way i can primer in these conditions.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Brush-on? I'm afraid it's years since I spray primered.

Just make sure it's not too thick - find a brand, add a little water if needed, use a broad brush (1/4"or so).

I have sort of the opposite issue - it's not often too hard to do the matt sealing, but it can often be too wet. My wife is sick of me saying "Looks like good varnishing weather today" ... ;)

W.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Eagerly awaiting more.
Hayden

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
finally got around to this again. found a paint mix that is closer to the color i needed, so now it looks closer to what it should be. got the Pursuit Lance base painted, and the BA based.

with the pending point value changes i will probably have to adjust the total points and some of the variants around, but at this point i figure i'll not stretch too far from this unit makeup.. i'll probably just bring the points up from 600PV to 800 and stick in some extra skill boosts or maybe some extra vehicle lances. (i haven't run the full numbers, but i estimate the unit to have gone from 599pv to about 650 or so.)

the weather looks fairly clear for the next few days, so i'll try to get the other lances primed and base coasted before long.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
and because the file size limits are annoying

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
so with the new PV's i had to fiddle with the unit roster a bit.. thankfully the only change i made that effects the mini's was to drop the Vedettes.. in favor of a pair of Partisan AA Vehicles. which are the same PV as vedettes, and more or less the same stats, but certainly make the force feel more "dark age" (even though i'm not happy how huge the MWDA figures i have are compared to the mechs)

but i was able to upgrade the Fa-Shih to the LRR version, which ought to be more useful (due to having a 1/1/- damage profile.. much better than a 2/-/- of the other regular Fa-Shih types). i also was able to upgrade the Catapults to -C5 models (for slightly better durability) and the Cicada's to -3MA's, a definite improvement over the -3M's (even if they do lose a touch of range.)
i also boosted the skills to a bunch of units.. Cadre from the CCAF and experienced campaigners left over from the original founding. i tried to leave plenty of regulars though to reflect newer troops. (couldn't bring myself to use green crews..)

final PV works out to 797.. if my math works out right. i grabbed the latest version of the rulebook PDF's just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2018, 02:01:09 by glitterboy2098 »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
If it weren't for requiring some pinning, you could cut out a portion of each leg to shorten it a bit on that MAD.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
i don't mind it. it is actually not that different in size from the old 3rd ed plastic marauders. marauders have always been a bit on the big size for their tonnage.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
with the new numbers in the MUL, went through and used the force builder to double check my work, and made a few tweaks to the skills.

Code: [Select]
Model Name Type Size BasePV Skill AdjPV Role Formation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CP-11-A-DC Cyclops BM 4 38 3 46 Sniper Fire Support Lance
MAD-5L Marauder BM 3 42 1 66 Sniper Fire Support Lance
CPLT-C5 Catapult BM 3 42 3 50 Missile Boat Fire Support Lance
CPLT-C5 Catapult BM 3 42 3 50 Missile Boat Fire Support Lance
(Standard) Partisan AAV CV 2 16 3 19 Sniper Fire Support Lance
(Standard) Partisan AAV CV 2 16 3 19 Sniper Fire Support Lance
(250)

VND-3Lr Vindicator BM 2 26 3 31 Brawler Battle Lance
TDR-7M Thunderbolt BM 3 39 4 39 Brawler Battle Lance
[LRR] Fa-Shih BA 1 16 3 19 Ambusher
(186)

LCT-1Vb Locust BM 1 23 4 23 Striker Striker Lance
LCT-1Vb Locust BM 1 23 4 23 Striker Striker Lance
CDA-3MA Cicada BM 2 35 4 35 Striker Striker Lance
CDA-3MA Cicada BM 2 35 4 35 Striker Striker Lance
(154)

YHC-3E Yinghuochong BM 1 26 1 41 Striker Recon Lance
TR1 Wraith BM 2 41 2 57 Skirmisher Recon Lance
RVN-4L Raven BM 1 31 3 37 Scout Recon Lance
RVN-4L Raven BM 1 31 3 37 Scout Recon Lance
(210)

gonna have to come up with a nice bit of personalization on that Marauder. thinking i'll fluff it as a former Republic Knight, or a transfer from some prestigious capcon unit there to act as Cadre. maybe add some gold trim and a nice water slide decal choice.

edit: my next force has just been assembled.. a 200PV "supplementary" force from Bannson's Raiders. a lance of mechs (mostly the oddballs that don't fit thematically well into any of my other planned forces), a half a dozen light vehicles, and some gray death battle armor. the skills generally suck (regular pilots, green BA, and 'deadmeat walking' novice for most of the vehicles, which are mainly there as ablative scouting/hazing. so about normal for Wyld's Jokers..
« Last Edit: 25 August 2018, 08:37:41 by glitterboy2098 »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
ooh, please tell me that you're going to paint up the Jokers too
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
i need to check to see if they have any special paint schemes, and to be honest, even if they don't i'll probably throw a fair bit of customization onto the mech schemes for them beyond the standard bannson's raiders. but i'm afraid my skills aren't up to free handing the logo.

i picked the bannson's raiders because they had Capellan ties in the fiction, and went with the jokers because in order to fit what i wanted in to 200pv, i had to skimp on the skills, which seemed a match to that unit.

mostly i wanted to be able to add a small force that could bring the cappellans up to 1000pv.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Bannson's Raiders use a scheme of Turquoise and Beige. The amount of each color as well as placement is at the discretion of the pilot. Warriors sometimes paint trim or entire sections of their equipment in burgundy to signify kills or elite status.

There yo go!

More references: http://www.warrenborn.com/Search.php?FACTION=Bannson%27s%20Raiders
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
knew about the main colors.. used to have a bunch of Bannson's mechs for the clixgame. rarely used them because frankly, i had better options, but had them. didn't know about the burgandy thing.. i don't think that was a part of the clix figures (or at least, the ones i had)

i do have some waterslide transfers from my warhammer 40K days i might dig out. the chaos ones (can't remember how i got them) have some suitably piratical logos for them.

Register