Author Topic: Custom Rule sets  (Read 2020 times)

Draven0019

• Recruit
Custom Rule sets
« on: 04 May 2020, 03:11:49 »
So I've been wondering if anyone has tried to create a custom rule set for allowing PC to customize there vehicle mounted weapons, I know there are some rules about personal weapon and armor in the ATOWC,
I'm thinking something along the lines of tampering with auto-loading safety's for faster fire rates at the in-creased chance of jamming or building a Heavy laser out of a salvaged medium laser emitter and a PPC power bank, or 'pirating weapons' like welding some spikes to a RAC for extra Melee damage, everyone knows when you add spikes you get more damage :D

possible been influenced by some of the weird creations been coming out of the Rougetech mod for Battletech by HBS

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Custom Rule sets
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2020, 03:35:43 »
You can kind of get some of that just headcanoning it via the Special Pilot Abilities, Design Quirks, and maybe a couple of TacOps rules to represent those kinds of tinkers.

Draven0019

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2020, 04:05:31 »
had though about that, one of my players is a real tinker, most of their gear will be battle field salvage, while building loot tables i tend to include destroyed components (as basic scrap for a scrap dealer) then though about adding sub components to those, eg ammo feeder, barrels, emitters Etc... could add jury rigged rules to these i guess.
I did find a weird build from one of the Solaris jocks, frankenmech rebuilt out of four others, more than likely a Apocryphal note than Cannon.

edit: should add, the players character is also a tinker, grew up around Comstar in the Sol system, managed to learn a few things about how things work, did not drink the comstar koolaid though.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2020, 04:11:50 by Draven0019 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2020, 19:10:47 »
Just use the Customization rules out of Strategic Operations, with all the appropriate Technician skill rolls...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2020, 20:24:08 »
Unless I am mistaken the OP is looking for a different sort of customization more akin to how you can increase rate of fire, magazine size, and what not in the Companion.

So while possibly useful to him not quite what they are after.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2020, 00:29:18 »
The thing is, the kind of changes mentioned don't quite hit a threshold of changes on the tabletop game.  If they did warrant a change beyond maybe a quirk it could be a little reality breaking (if it's so easy to get a faster rate of fire on an autocannon, why isn't that standard rules?  Making Clan grade heavy lasers in a workshop, same thing, etc.)

Maybe in a Solaris arena style, ultra small RPG scale, but carefully and not in a game breaking way.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Draven0019

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2020, 06:21:16 »
Daryk, thanks for SO, took some time to read though all the advance and optional rules for salvage and customize rules there, had only skimmed over them before, has helped alot.

Dogorsman, Solaris area stuff was were I got some of the inspiration for asking, take Solaris spikes for example, welding spikes to the hull of the mech for melee damage, why not weld spikes to SRM's (removing the warhead 1st) for AP or shiskaba lighter vehicles or battle armor.

Quite possible I'm just going way out of scope for a table top. but thanks for the feed back Gents and Gals.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2020, 06:34:04 »
Glad I could help!  :thumbsup:

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2020, 02:26:44 »
just reverse the partial damage tables from older products.  instead of a penalty, tinkering can give the equivalent bonus based upon the Margin of Success.

example from Max Tech:
"Energy Weapon, 6-7, focus misaligned; weapon inflicts -1 damage, additional +1 to hit modifier at medium and long range"
converts to:
MoS 6+; Perfect Focus Alignment; weapon inflicts +1 damage, additional -1 to hit modifier at medium and long range.

Register