Author Topic: TechManual, Is It Still Current?  (Read 1310 times)

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
    • Talislanta - Still No Elves!
TechManual, Is It Still Current?
« on: 14 June 2020, 17:13:18 »
I want to start constructing mechs and I believe I once heard that the TechManual was no longer a good source to use for this. Something about it being outdated. Is this true? If the T.M. is not ideal, where should I turn?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: TechManual, Is It Still Current?
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2020, 17:16:21 »
TM is the current thing. The only issue is: do you want to manually build stuff?
Megamek Lab and Solaris Skunk Works are so much more practical. Though i suppose getting construction rules is smart, there are some details that aren't revealed in those programs.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2020, 17:16:42 »
It is not outdated no. You may need to consult the errata depending on which printing you have and what you’re trying to build

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
    • Talislanta - Still No Elves!
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2020, 17:28:53 »
This is great news. Although, I'm sure my version is out of date. I couldn't find a reference to what printing it was. But it does say it was published by Fanpro/Wizkids in 2007. Where might I find the errata?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2020, 17:31:02 »
This is great news. Although, I'm sure my version is out of date. I couldn't find a reference to what printing it was. But it does say it was published by Fanpro/Wizkids in 2007. Where might I find the errata?
Oof, that's old indeed!
Errata can be found here: https://bg.battletech.com/errata/

EDIT Direct link: https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TechManual-2019-12-06-v4.0.pdf

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2020, 17:51:36 »
You could also buy the pdf via DriveThruRPG, and get the updates when they're compiled (roughly once a year or so).

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2020, 18:56:14 »
The biggest reason to get errata is the infantry construction stats, with the second being some of the BA equipment.  The rest is pretty much same-same as clarifications.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2020, 20:55:17 »
There are three (!!!) TM erratta

General changes   https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TechManual-2019-12-06-v4.0.pdf
BV                      https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/TechManual-TM_BV-v4.0.pdf
Infantry Weapons https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TM_22-Tech-InfTables-Rev2017.pdf

There's also a bunch of advanced infantry stuff in TacOps, apparently. I've never studied infantry design in depth.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2020, 20:57:03 »
yeah the current printing in PDF is the way to go if you want to avoid that minefield

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2020, 21:00:04 »
If you bought it through Catalyst's website (or Battlecorps, previously), are those versions updated too?  I just recently re-downloaded it, and the new download certainly has the new cover art, not the Uziel.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2020, 21:04:43 »
yes, you should get an update (and it sounds like you did). i had to have mine manually fixed because the transaction was very old (ca 2010) but no matter when you bought it you should be getting updates on both the cgl store and drivethrurpg. this is true for all the core books except TacOps, which is now in two volumes and is treated like a new and separate release.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2020, 21:35:59 »
If you bought it through Catalyst's website (or Battlecorps, previously), are those versions updated too?  I just recently re-downloaded it, and the new download certainly has the new cover art, not the Uziel.

Uziel was old Tacops.

Old TM was a busted beamer.
New TM is a base with an axman and (?)gunslinger(?)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2020, 21:37:05 »
TM is the source for making mechs..up to a point.

Its good for making basic, Tourmant legal units.

You'll need TacOps to make Advanced and Experimental units.

As well as Interstellar Ops to make Dark Age tech units (as well as LAMs, QuadVees, etc).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2020, 21:39:10 »
You'll still need TM for the rest of those.  Those would be in addition to TM.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2020, 04:53:34 »
Uziel was old Tacops.

Old TM was a busted beamer.
New TM is a base with an axman and (?)gunslinger(?)
That's a Hatchetman actually.

And that reminds me, i need to get the new TM in print just because i adore that cover. Probably my single most favorite piece of BT art.