Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish  (Read 217624 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish
« Reply #1320 on: 13 January 2018, 16:28:36 »
I can see the Wolves granting the Republic the honor of a Trial of Possession. The Jade Falcons under Malvina? Ha ha ha.

The only way the Wolves do this is if they're already winning.  Alaric doesn't take stupid risks, and inviting a fair playing field where there doesn't have to be one is a pretty stupid risk when the gamble is for all the marbles.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1321 on: 13 January 2018, 17:00:03 »
The only way the Wolves do this is if they're already winning.  Alaric doesn't take stupid risks, and inviting a fair playing field where there doesn't have to be one is a pretty stupid risk when the gamble is for all the marbles.

I disagree. Clan Wolf needs the help of the Republic's armed forces if it's going to conquer the rest of the Inner Sphere. By treating with Stone as an equal and sticking to some notion of Clan honor, it raises Alaric's esteem. After all, settling conflicts with a duel is a classic Ares Convention strategy, one respected by most in the Inner Sphere as well as the Clans. Of course, I expect Alaric to manipulate things to his advantage; he is the son of Katherine Steiner, after all.

Picture this: Clan Wolf lands on Terra. The Falcons are not going to be far behind. Alaric offers Stone a devil's deal: duel for the Republic of the Sphere and Terra. If Wolf wins, Stone and the Republic military will be allowed to fight beside them, and the Falcons can be defeated. If Stone wins, the Wolves leave Terra...forcing the Republic to face Malvina's hordes alone. Alaric might even tight-beam the bargain to Stone directly.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1322 on: 13 January 2018, 17:34:10 »
Mmh. Sounds plausible. Likely even.
So, the end result is that the Third League is a mixture of Clan and RoTS, and subjugated nations. And i'm thinking the conquered nations won't be too happy about things.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1323 on: 13 January 2018, 20:51:21 »
Picture this: Clan Wolf lands on Terra. The Falcons are not going to be far behind. Alaric offers Stone a devil's deal: duel for the Republic of the Sphere and Terra. If Wolf wins, Stone and the Republic military will be allowed to fight beside them, and the Falcons can be defeated. If Stone wins, the Wolves leave Terra...forcing the Republic to face Malvina's hordes alone. Alaric might even tight-beam the bargain to Stone directly.
The best part about this is that even if Stone wins, and then loses to Malvina?  Alaric still had his wolves on Earth first, and he can rub that in forever just to piss her off.  And depending how brutal the fighting is - extremely, I imagine, on both sides - that means he's still got his fresh and unbattered Wolves to just sweep in and take the place anyway.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1324 on: 13 January 2018, 20:57:14 »
The best part about this is that even if Stone wins, and then loses to Malvina?  Alaric still had his wolves on Earth first, and he can rub that in forever just to piss her off.  And depending how brutal the fighting is - extremely, I imagine, on both sides - that means he's still got his fresh and unbattered Wolves to just sweep in and take the place anyway.

Yup, exactly what I was thinking.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1325 on: 13 January 2018, 21:01:43 »
I like that rubbing someone's nose in their ultimate failure is the first thing I think of, rather than an actual victory.  Clearly I'm too good at thinking Clanner.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1326 on: 13 January 2018, 21:43:05 »
Pretty sure modern Clanners, at least Alaric, seem to be good about thinking about actual victory rather than rubbing someone's nose with a failure. Or at least they won't get one to get in the way of the other.

Not sure Malvina counts among these though.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1327 on: 13 January 2018, 23:03:40 »
Alaric and Malvina are almost dark mirrors of each other, displaying opposite and extreme versions of the Way of the Clans. Alaric is not afraid of fighting, but is also willing to use politics - even subterfuge - to achieve his goals, though he seems to at least pay lip service to honor. Malvina cares only for martial prowess, and anything (or anyone) that is not directly aiding her in her goals is simply...in the way.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #1328 on: 28 January 2018, 12:24:27 »
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is some problem with Second Succession War because over here in Germany it is showing it as not yet available.

Thanks.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1329 on: 28 January 2018, 12:50:46 »
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is some problem with Second Succession War because over here in Germany it is showing it as not yet available.

Thanks.
Uh, it was released months ago.
Weird. Perhaps it was sold out? Say, a small shipment only in the first place.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #1330 on: 28 January 2018, 12:53:08 »
Thanks. That is probably it. Oh well, PDF it is.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1331 on: 28 January 2018, 12:54:32 »
Thanks. That is probably it. Oh well, PDF it is.
I recommend googling around, check shops from other countries that might ship to Germany with reasonable price.
Like, i found that 3072 Jihad book from a Spanish site, it was sold out everywhere else ages ago.

EDIT Doesn't look too good... not finding many results.
I know a local store here in Finland has copies still but not sure if they ship to Germany. Checking.
EDIT2 Holy... Yeah, they do but with ridiculous fee.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2018, 13:00:10 by Empyrus »

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #1332 on: 28 January 2018, 14:31:35 »
Thanks for the check. Picked up SW1 and the TRO as PDFs and will probably pick up hard copies on my next trip to the states.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #1333 on: 28 January 2018, 15:05:18 »
I disagree. Clan Wolf needs the help of the Republic's armed forces if it's going to conquer the rest of the Inner Sphere. By treating with Stone as an equal and sticking to some notion of Clan honor, it raises Alaric's esteem. After all, settling conflicts with a duel is a classic Ares Convention strategy, one respected by most in the Inner Sphere as well as the Clans. Of course, I expect Alaric to manipulate things to his advantage; he is the son of Katherine Steiner, after all.

Given the reputation of Malvina, why shouldn't the republic just decide to go back the days of the old SLDF and when she pokes her nose in Terra, hit her forces with ALL THE NUKES?  I mean, given her actions, it seems like the logical way to deal with her is full on, first Succession War tactics.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1334 on: 28 January 2018, 15:52:07 »
Given the reputation of Malvina, why shouldn't the republic just decide to go back the days of the old SLDF and when she pokes her nose in Terra, hit her forces with ALL THE NUKES?  I mean, given her actions, it seems like the logical way to deal with her is full on, first Succession War tactics.

Moot point, as it won't happen. Besides, the last time nukes were used on Terra, the eastern seaboard of the US vanished. If Stone resorts to such weapons, his grand experiment will have well and truly failed.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1335 on: 28 January 2018, 16:05:00 »
Let me explain that a bit more. Stone's entire point with the Republic of the Sphere was to provide a shining example to the other states. The Republic was founded on high ideals, and Stone really did try to live up to them. If the nation is conquered by a hostile force, that does not invalidate his ideals. However, if he resorts to "barbaric" weapons of mass destruction simply because they're the expedient solution, then no matter how correct he was to do so, he'll be viewed as a hypocrite. Better to die honorably than to live in shame, and all that nonsense.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1336 on: 28 January 2018, 21:41:53 »
On the other hand, Stone is kinda insane now that he's come out of cryo.  So rationalizing the use of nukes really doesn't seem all that far fetched. 

But really, this is setting based around a miniatures war game, so nukes are always going to be few and far between, besides, the setting has "already done that" during the Jihad.  I doubt we're going to end up seeing a repeat in the very next primary era.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1337 on: 28 January 2018, 22:08:14 »
It may also be the case that the follow-on governments may reject his high ideals for pragmatic, if plutonium-powered, victory.  Few movements tend to survive the eventual death of their founder.

Personally I'd be fine if the republic stayed on the high road to the end, not so much out of 'good they're gone' but more 'they still won by never being defeated, even if they were destroyed.'   

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1338 on: 28 January 2018, 22:24:49 »
On the other hand, Stone is kinda insane now that he's come out of cryo.  So rationalizing the use of nukes really doesn't seem all that far fetched.

Nah, David Lear's ghost would never allow it. ;D

It may also be the case that the follow-on governments may reject his high ideals for pragmatic, if plutonium-powered, victory.  Few movements tend to survive the eventual death of their founder.

Personally I'd be fine if the republic stayed on the high road to the end, not so much out of 'good they're gone' but more 'they still won by never being defeated, even if they were destroyed.'   

Well, yeah, to both counts. Stone's ideals barely survived his disappearance, and then mostly on technicalities, and his reappearance doesn't quite seem to have solved all the problems some hoped it would. Also, we know the next Terran government is going to be Clan, and hoo boy, talk about lip service to grand ideals...

...and the very best part is that it's being set up to fail. After all, the universe wouldn't be very interesting with a single, monolithic government, quiaff? Personally, I hope it falls down hard, and the new setting is like pre-Age of War, with new states forming, combining, conquering each other, and just a great big old mess filled with new characters, factions, tech, and units. When things start to get boring, throw the Word of Blake at it, and just as they're getting over that, here come the Homeworlds Clans again.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1339 on: 28 January 2018, 22:38:27 »
...and the very best part is that it's being set up to fail. After all, the universe wouldn't be very interesting with a single, monolithic government, quiaff? Personally, I hope it falls down hard, and the new setting is like pre-Age of War, with new states forming, combining, conquering each other, and just a great big old mess filled with new characters, factions, tech, and units. When things start to get boring, throw the Word of Blake at it, and just as they're getting over that, here come the Homeworlds Clans again.
I would like to subscribe to your magazine, sir.

Seriously, I'd be fine with a mass uprising eventually against whatever kind of ilClan there is, and an appropriate Smoke Jaguar-tier response that makes the first and second SW look like fond memories...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1340 on: 28 January 2018, 22:51:20 »
I would like to subscribe to your magazine, sir.

Hmm, I wonder if I could set up a Patreon for BattleTech fanfiction?

(Note: Not an actual thing that anyone should do.)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1341 on: 29 January 2018, 00:58:51 »
Moot point, as it won't happen. Besides, the last time nukes were used on Terra, the eastern seaboard of the US vanished. If Stone resorts to such weapons, his grand experiment will have well and truly failed.
You use the nukes on them while the invaders are still inbound.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1342 on: 29 January 2018, 03:54:43 »
Using nukes against the Clans is a very good way to ensure the gloves come off.  And if they land then when the invasions over and if the Clanners are victorious I doubt they would leave anyone in the Republic military alive for breaking out nukes. 

And the Clans still have Warships, any survivors of the orbital battle will turn their guns on Terra.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1343 on: 29 January 2018, 04:06:11 »
And with the exception of the newest Leviathan's said Clan WarShips have very little point defense. And if the RotS hasn't been working to improve the Dragons Breath I'd be very surprised.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1344 on: 29 January 2018, 04:25:49 »
I still think the Leviathan III is going to have something happen to her with regards to a nuke, and then fingers being pointed at the Combine at which point the Bears go ARAABLABLBLALBALALERARARAFVBAL!! and launch a full scale assault.  This helps draw forces away from the Davion front and helps them re-deploy to fend off the Cappellans.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1345 on: 29 January 2018, 06:18:42 »
I don't think the petty squabbles of the Successor States will matter much when the ilClan invades and conquers them.

Look, I can't 100% predict what's going to happen when IlClan comes out. But we know certain things occur, and we've watched the story unfold to this point. Sure, Stone could reveal that he's been the Master all along, and unveil a thousand regiments of superheavy 'Mechs and a hundred battleships, all equipped with nuclear and biological weapons, burn the Inner Sphere, and then claim ilClanship because he's actually a Wolverine. Or, for a less-extreme example, Stone could blast every Clan invader out of Terran space with WMDs from upgraded Blakist weapons platforms...except we know that doesn't happen. Some Clan or another figures out a way to conquer - or at least merge with - The Republic, and they go on to conquer - by treaty or force of arms - the rest of the Inner Sphere. We've seen 90% of the story so far, we know who the heroes and villains are, and we can make some predictions based on their past actions and motivations.

We know that Stone did not push for advanced weapons projects. Sure, the Fortress is some kind of Blakist hyper-tech, but it is defensive in nature. The Republic didn't start working on advanced offensive technology until after the Blackout, through the RISC project. I peg the odds of Stone reactivating Dragon's Breath - which, again, was responsible for destroying a significant portion of North America's Atlantic coastline - at a hard zero.

Furthermore, what kind of a damp squib climax would that be? After almost twenty real-world years of plot build-up, it all ends with a Clan fleet going "poof" in space? Thousands of man-hours of work, dozens of books and games, over half the time BattleTech has existed, all coming down to a dozen rolls to-hit. That would be beyond insulting.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1346 on: 29 January 2018, 08:01:38 »
I'm sad that those nuclear strikes didn't get more than a couple throwaway lines, unless someone brings them up I keep forgetting it happened at all.

Then again, it says something about the destruction of the Jihad that the annihilation of the Eastern Seaboard only merited a few lines of text...
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1347 on: 29 January 2018, 09:20:08 »
I'm sad that those nuclear strikes didn't get more than a couple throwaway lines, unless someone brings them up I keep forgetting it happened at all.

Then again, it says something about the destruction of the Jihad that the annihilation of the Eastern Seaboard only merited a few lines of text...

More the lack of novels. It's all wrapped up in the story of just what happened under Hilton Head and at Devil's Tower. In a way, we never got the proper climax for the Jihad.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1348 on: 30 January 2018, 04:48:45 »
Hmm.. guess I should move the family to the west coast before we start glowing over here.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1349 on: 30 January 2018, 04:53:43 »
We know that Stone did not push for advanced weapons projects. Sure, the Fortress is some kind of Blakist hyper-tech, but it is defensive in nature. The Republic didn't start working on advanced offensive technology until after the Blackout, through the RISC project. I peg the odds of Stone reactivating Dragon's Breath - which, again, was responsible for destroying a significant portion of North America's Atlantic coastline - at a hard zero.
Didn't the Dragon's Breath also take out the Great Bear? Also the real prize there is the advanced decoy generators, you could easily adapt those to fighter launched missiles, and such technology is something that the ISC didn't develop, which is interesting with their development of viral jammers.

Register