Author Topic: How much fits??  (Read 1801 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
How much fits??
« on: 26 May 2020, 05:27:54 »
Quick question: I am posting a story in the Fan Fiction section; so far I'm adding story sections in individual  posts as I write them but they are getting hard to pick out amongst the comments and responses.
How much material can I add to the first post? My idea is to edit the first post with each new section of the story, but I dont know how long i can make that first post slot??
I'm unsure how best to organize the story as it grows so when it's much longer it's not an Easter egg hunt to find every section.
Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: How much fits??
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2020, 15:26:52 »
The current maximum post size is 32768 characters.  That includes formatting BBCode and white space as far as I'm aware as those are characters from a database storage standpoint.  Call it around 5k words in Word as a rough benchmark, although that's a very approximate figure estimated off on document I had handy and has no relation to the forum's internal calculations.

Given that limit, the best way to do this is I can think of in SMF as we have it configured here would be an index post that points to the other posts.  You can fit a lot of links into that space, and if you have to, you can break the index itself up into multiple posts with the first post pointing to the other indexes.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: How much fits??
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2020, 15:34:40 »
my box set intro post is less than 100 characters from maximum so that can serve as a benchmark

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?