Author Topic: Miniature of the Week, #3: The Zeus!  (Read 15158 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Miniature of the Week, #3: The Zeus!
« on: 09 October 2016, 21:29:06 »
So, you know the drill by know. Dredge your collections for examples of this fine Lyran heavy cavalry 'Mech, and post'em here so we can share the glory!

The Zeus. Yes, it's an Assault, but it plays like a heavy. It's pretty much the counterpoint to the Leaguer's Orion. But it's a lovely looker, and those hulking shoulders add a gravitas the Orion sometimes lacks.

(And let's not mention the Perseus ;) )

Zeuses (although Zeii ??? ) are quintissentially Lyran, but can be found as trade in the FedSuns, as salvage in the Combine & League, and as gifts in the FRR. (And in the Death Commandos, should they feel the need). AFAIK there are the following sculpts:

- Ral Partha lead/ralladium, one piece
- IWM resculpt, three piece? (don't have one)
- Museum-scale
- 1st intro plastic
- 2nd intro plastic

Waiting for an update from our archeoboschologist ;)

So here's mine:

I've got three generations of Zeuses to share. First, a pair of lead original sculpts.

#1 is a 30-year-old mini, plus or minus a year or two. Painted in the two-tone "ground & sky" scheme from one of the early books with colour plates - Mercs Handbook?   Housebook Steiner?

#2 is modded to "MechWarrior 4" style. In short:
- upper arms replaced with more angular pieces that tuck the weapons back under the shoulders
- some additional bulk added to the lower legs
- enhanced 'crown'. I think the repose models the MW4 style - one I'm very fond of. And for the cogniscenti, it's the BattleCorps colours, for the ride of MechWarrior Marc 'Ghost' O'Donoghue, part of Colonel Nichole's command lance.

The 1st Intro Zeus is a weedy, and often someone messy, plastic mini, but a little love repays the effort. Generic woodlands camo, FRR 3rd Drakons, and a Light of Mankind hotbox, aka the Zeus ZEU-10WB. Two heavy PPCs, an ERLL, four ERML, and nowhere near the heatsinks to cope. But it cuts an imposing figure ...

And lastly, the new intro box/lance pack minis. Not only are they sharp-detailed & better sized than the 1st intro box, they're plastic too, and so easy to repose! I like my Zeuses in motion, and a move of the lower leg is all you need.

The one on the left is the ZEU-9S2, with twin LRMs and a gauss rifle, as well as an ERPPC & 2 MPL. Listed in the Master Unit List as Clan Invasion era - something I wish I'd noticed earlier. The second LRM is from the intro box LoM Zeus, hence it being smaller. The second is a ZEU-6T with shoulder tucks & leg repose, in classic Lyran Guard colours.

So open the floodgates, and share your Zeuses!

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Miniature of the Week, #3: The Zeus!
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2016, 21:40:30 »
No Zeus Xs in this one?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2016, 21:42:30 »
Agh! I do, in fact, have a Zeus X, and neglected to remember it!

Will have to do a rescan, and an update. It's RotS, which I do have memory issues with :worktroll:
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2016, 10:12:12 »
A Zeus of the Royal Guards, painted more than two years ago for a friend.
It is the only one i have painted so far. I have one more of the old RP sculpt with scales waiting to be painted - of course in lyran colours again.  ;)

"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2016, 10:33:15 »
And here I thought I didn't have anything to contribute (working on a couple of things for down the road).

But then I remembered!  Yay, Zeus!  FRR, 2nd Freemen, reporting for duty.

Nothing special with the pose, as when I painted this I was just getting my painting muscles up to snuff.  Pretty happy with the glass-blend on the cockpit, even.  The photo's a little washed out, so you can't see the snow effects on the base.  Because of course :P
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2016, 12:35:14 »
A Zeus of the Royal Guards, painted more than two years ago for a friend.
It is the only one i have painted so far. I have one more of the old RP sculpt with scales waiting to be painted - of course in lyran colours again.  ;)

I really like this one! Nice job - especially on the cockpit!   O0

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2016, 13:15:26 »
Front: Original release and Church release

Second: Gen 2. Blazer variant, standard version and Zeus Leonidas

3rd Row: Zeus-Xs and Blazer type using Zeus-X body

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2016, 15:13:29 »
It's Zeus-mas, a Merry Zeus-mas to you all.

I've but one to offer.  Grey Death Legion paint job, logo done by hand (so it is really terrible), painted during my first deployment on the USS OAK HILL back in '97.

Bartholomew bartholomew

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2016, 18:31:47 »
A Marik zeus. And I will have you know. It was not stolen from steiner. It was a fair trade with my local steiner commander for a charger. He wanted a proper scout mech.

latest starter box plastic.

« Last Edit: 11 October 2016, 18:34:04 by Bartholomew bartholomew »

Dragoon1

• Warrant Officer
    • http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/GrungeVibe/dragoons.gif[/IMG]
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2016, 20:09:54 »
My contribution to the cause.  This is a Zeus that I painted in 2009. This is one of the pewter that I picked up back in 2000 or 2001.

Loved painting it back then and would like to take second crack at it now. 
« Last Edit: 12 October 2016, 06:19:11 by Dragoon1 »

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2016, 21:04:41 »
This is one of my very early miniatures and originally was a good example of how not to do camo. The panel lines were a yellow colour that was lighter than the panels themselves - yuck! Some years later I hit it heavily with some washes. I think it now looks like it has been hanging around in the periphery for a while. Perhaps one day I will revisit the cockpit and base.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2016, 20:08:13 »
Here's my Zeus.  It's a plastic miniature, either from the recent (Atlas) intro box or from the Battle Lance pack.  The paint scheme is supposed to be camouflage with a green base and brown splotches/stripes but the brown doesn't show up very well.  (I suspect it's because the green is too dark.)

I finished painting this a couple weeks ago as part of the fourth lance I have ever painted (including basing and sealing).

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2016, 13:10:54 »
I really like the look of the original print. Too bad they can't do that again.

Here's my contribution to the Zeus parade. My other, normal sized one is in the shop, still under construction.  ^-^

I'll do a group shot sometime.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2016, 15:40:26 »
Intro boxset Zeus. Painted in 4th Syke Rangers RCT colors.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2016, 10:11:26 »
I'm liking the intro box Zues' with it's less pronounced/angled greenhouse. Sharp work, guys!

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2016, 16:44:55 »
Lyran Zeus, for doing Lyran stuff

I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2016, 19:38:12 »
Lyran Zeus, for doing Lyran stuff
Like, you know, chillin' with Mew Two.

My contribution, a Zeus from a merc company I've been mucking with.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2016, 10:23:14 »
Nice Job!!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2016, 11:01:40 »
I only have pictures of two Zeus of mine. For the Crucis version i don't have a single picture, sorry. So you see it with his lance comrades. The other one is from my Donegal Guard force.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2016, 21:43:04 »
That's some very sharp Zeii there, gents! O0

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #20 on: 19 October 2016, 21:21:53 »
Here are my two Zeus mechs. The purple "Have a nice day" Zeus is a member of a lance that I needed for a campaign back in the late 80s. I only had two days to paint the whole lance. I got the lance done in three hours. My campaign players loved the lance due to its theme. With the Zeus, it would punch and if it hit the head, the last thing the enemy pilot would see was this giant smiley face. Hence why the smiley is on the stubby ended arm with the LRM launcher.

The second Zeus was painted for a player to use in yet another campaign in the early 90s.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2016, 17:41:31 »
I love the "have a nice day" Zeus! ;D

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2016, 06:21:04 »
Nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2016, 15:15:51 »
I'm glad you liked the "Have a nice day" Zeus. It was fun to paint and nobody forgets the lance when seeing it. Certainly unique.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2016, 21:09:29 »
Did you do the "have a nice day" Imp as well? O0

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #25 on: 23 October 2016, 05:20:37 »
Unfortunately, I have a very limited number of painted miniatures. A problem I need to find some time to correct. I do have one painted Zeus:

Nothing really special about this MWDA Zeus. It was not painted by me. However, it is special because it belongs to my Daughter No. 2, her very own "robot". A gift from Mr Worktroll to her that she plays with instead of "dad's robots".
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 23 October 2016, 16:24:10 »
Thought I recognised that! Glad it has a fine commander O0

I still have to take pics of my Zeus X; and don't forget, tomorrow the Timber Wolf stalks its iconic way into Mini of the Fortnight history.

W.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2016, 21:23:05 »
Did you do the "have a nice day" Imp as well? O0

Yes. The entire lance is: Imp, Zeus, Longbow and Stalker. I will post them when you select them for MotW.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2016, 22:37:15 »
Might do a special edition "Funny Mini of the Week" sometime :) Things like my Minion Imp, and the Justice League of New Avalon lance ...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 24 October 2016, 03:16:21 »
And here's two more I prepared a long time ago!

To the left, the Zeus X ZEU-X4, with a Heavy PPC and LB-20X, in Republic Standing Guard colours. To the right, another Zeus in Lyran Guards, this time a ZEU-6T. The Zeus X is a lovely mini - very detailed, easy to assemble despite too many parts, and strong & stable. Just ... it's ver' big, signor.  The Intro Box plastic shows how much you can get out of a little simple reposing.

W.

Register