Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight #9: Wolfhound  (Read 6740 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Miniature of the Fortnight #9: Wolfhound
« on: 15 January 2017, 21:49:26 »
Our first Inner Sphere 'Mech of 2017 is one of a few that helped usher in a new time in the BattleTech universe.  As one of the first new 'Mech designs in centuries, the Wolfhound was a part of a new group of designs showing things were getting better, although not necessarily for the enemies of the Lyran Commonwealth.

For us, the fans, the Wolfhound has appeared in sourcebooks, novels, and in the animated series.  The art for the original Wolfhounds (WLF-1 and WLF-2) has been a little inconsistent.  Most sources depect the head as essentially a 3D parallelogram but others (including BattlePack: Fourth Succession War and the animated series) depict it as having a dog-like head.  This inconsistency carried over to the miniatures as well.

The sculpts I know of for the Wolfhound, released by Ral Partha, Iron Wind Metals, and Catalyst Game Labs are:
  • The original sculpt for the WLF-1 (20-891, RP/IWM), which uses the dog-like head.
  • The resculpt for the WLF-1 (also 20-891, IWM), which uses the head seen in the TROs.
  • The BattleForce-scale sculpt for the WLF-1 (20-9103, IWM), which follows the example of the WLF-1 resculpt.
  • The plastic Wolfhound from the Pursuit Lance Pack (CGL), which also follows the example of the WLF-1 resculpt.
  • And, finally, the sculpt for the WLF-2H (20-5035, IWM).
Please post any Wolfhounds you have painted or will be painting!

To those of you who post in this thread or have posted in previous threads, as well as those who have read and commented, thank you!

Our next fortnight's 'Mech will be the Stormcrow (Ryoken).

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight #9: Wolfhound
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2017, 22:00:56 »
I painted this Wolfhound from the Pursuit Lance Pack in (what are supposed to be) the colors of the Lyran Commonwealth's Royal Guards.  I believe the colors came out darker than they should be but the panel definition is good (although so is the mold line on the left shoulder that was mostly scraped away).

hauptmann fanjoy

• CamoSpecs
  • Corporal
    • Heavy Gauss - Dave Fanjoy's Mech Gallery
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2017, 10:39:19 »
Back in the late 90s (before the Wolfhound was resculpted), MFUK sold a resculpted Wolfhound head so you could saw the head off your Wolfhound and replace it with something that looks closer to the TRO.  The MFUK head looks similar to the resculpt head... I have one, but have not yet gotten around to putting it on a mini and painting it. This gives me another to-do project...

Anyway, here's a 2H resculpt I recently painted.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2017, 13:45:47 »
Back in the late 90s (before the Wolfhound was resculpted), MFUK sold a resculpted Wolfhound head so you could saw the head off your Wolfhound and replace it with something that looks closer to the TRO.  The MFUK head looks similar to the resculpt head... I have one, but have not yet gotten around to putting it on a mini and painting it. This gives me another to-do project...

There were people around selling the MFUK Wolfhound head as an official mod to build the Wolfhound IIC.  :D

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2017, 17:52:38 »
Anyways, another Wolfhound, this time a resculpted metal WLF-1H. This one represents the Periphery Star Guard.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2017, 06:36:54 »
Just a few Wolfhounds I had:

10-years old lyran's guard Wolfhound:

Wolfhound Allard, modified with clan weapon:

Wolfhound-X

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2017, 00:01:41 »
My quartet of Wolfhounds.  Original sculpt in blue and white, resculpt in red and white, a WLF-2X in brown white and blue, and then a WLF-4W in tan and red.

Rinahe

• Corporal
  • "La vida es barata, los BattleMechs son caros"
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2017, 09:09:57 »
Hi there!

Just to add a model more, you can see in my Avatar mi version of Allard's first WLF-1. I used the body of the resculpt with the head of the older one, who (IMHO) is the one depicted on the novels. I also add an armor plate over the cockpit, in order to leave only two "windows" with triangular shape.

Hope you like it, soon I will add more pictures of this and other of my Wolfhounds.

Best regards from Spain!

Rinahe
« Last Edit: 22 January 2017, 09:12:07 by Rinahe »
Anima christi, sanctifica me...

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2017, 18:32:58 »
Here are my old school lead Wolfhounds. You can see my camouflage skill and painting progression from left to right.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2017, 02:52:41 »
Better late ...

15th Lyran Regulars colours - plastic to the left, metal to the right. A very pleasant sculpt in either medium.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2017, 14:32:00 »

I have a Lion Cities Wolfhound (old sculpt,) Donegal Guards Wolfhound (newer, square head sculpt,) and a Buena Jaegers Wolfhound (newest sculpt)
« Last Edit: 09 February 2017, 08:25:59 by Savage Coyote »

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2017, 18:44:55 »
Better late than never :D This is done in my Merc Unit colors; The Frozen Ronin.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2018, 04:34:56 »
Donegal Guard

IMG_20180104_102709 by agen2, su Flickr

KhanPhelanWard

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2018, 16:30:03 »
I have painted some of the Miniature of the Fortnite Mechs, but this one is the only one I have pics.

A Kell Hounds Wolfhound painted for a friend of mine.

Don't miss out on my Camospecs miniatures on ebay:

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2018, 18:02:58 »
Got 3 Wolfhounds, 2 rescuplts -1 and a new -2H, all in Dioscuri's colors.

Register