Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight #15: Vindicator  (Read 5424 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Miniature of the Fortnight #15: Vindicator
« on: 09 April 2017, 22:01:09 »
This fortnight, we visit the Capellan Confederation and its probably best known pre-Xin Sheng 'Mech, the Vindicator.  Over the years, its look hasn't changed too much but there have been three sculpts.
  • The first sculpt was released by Ral Partha as 20-871.  This is the only sculpt that matches the artwork from TRO 3025.
  • What I believe to have been the next sculpt was the sculpt for the beginner's set.  This looks to be based on the TRO 3050 art, where the PPC ends at the elbow.  This 'Mech is available today in two forms: Metal from IWM as part of their Assault Lance Pack (10-040) and in plastic in the intro box and the Support Lance Pack.
  • The final sculpt is the modern sculpt from IWM, 20-932, which also appears to be based on TRO 3050 art.  This features the Vindicator in stride, so it looks more dynamic than the other sculpts. (On a personal note, this was the second metal miniature I ever assembled but I still hasn't been painted it yet.)
Please post any miniatures you'd like to share.  Like always, you can post 'Mechs you've already painted or 'Mechs you plan to paint.

As always, thank you for reading and thank you for posting!

Next fortnight's 'Mechs will be the Nova (Black Hawk) and its descendants (including the MW:DA Black Hawk and the Black Hawk-KU).

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight #15: Vindicator
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2017, 17:05:01 »
Done in the colors of Sung's Cuirassiers (Technically I think the paint scheme is Sung's Rangers, but I decided to use it for the Cuirassiers), this is the only Vindicator I have completed... The pose was suppose to be the pilot taking in water as mentioned in the TRO:3025 fluff, but it looks more like it is toppling into the water. The problem was that the cannon just wouldn't reach. If I tried this again, I think I would add a pivot above the cannon (sort of like the Unseen Warhammer) so the back of it could lay against the back of the bicep. Even then, it may not be enough... Anyway...

Caz

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2017, 20:05:02 »
Yay! I can participate!

Two from the IWM Assault Lance Pack:

Plastic lance WIP on the desk to finish off the company:

I've got the modern sculpt as well but it's nowhere near the front of the queue.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2017, 20:54:16 »
What I believe to have been the next sculpt was the sculpt for the beginner's set.  This looks to be based on the TRO 3050 art, where the PPC ends at the elbow. 20-932
20-932 is the second sculpt. The Beginner's Set sculpt is a modified version of it, reposed to be more static. The repose was also necessary to get the correct facing on the base.

LeoCeballos

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 20:10:35 »
My beginner's box Vindicator

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2017, 00:19:58 »
My original and resculpt.

VND-3LD, VND-5L

Lastly a custom meant to be a slower but jump capable Commando analog.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2017, 07:53:19 »
20-932 is the second sculpt. The Beginner's Set sculpt is a modified version of it, reposed to be more static. The repose was also necessary to get the correct facing on the base.
Thank you for the correction!

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2017, 10:28:19 »
Only one Vindicator ready, more are waaay back in my personal schedule list...
This one is an older sculpt and part of the 2. Taurian Lancers (I can't stand the Capellan Confederation, so every mech possible gets an other background...  :P).

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2017, 07:40:37 »

Warrior House Imarra
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2017, 14:26:17 »
The pose was suppose to be the pilot taking in water as mentioned in the TRO:3025 fluff, but it looks more like it is toppling into the water. The problem was that the cannon just wouldn't reach.

Caz

I knew immediately what was going on (even though there was no steam exiting the ass-end of the PPC  :D). 

Again, you captured more than a fluff reference...there is atmosphere/mood here, like the Charger and Shadow Hawk minis previously posted.

"Anticipating an escalation in the fighting, a Sung's Cuirassiers pilot makes use of a lull in combat to take advantage of his Vindicator's unique PPC cooling capability."

You can see the effort it took for him to get his mech down in position to dip the PPC in the stream, then maintaining his SA so as not to be caught off guard.

Beautifully and yet still realistically military/war-machine done paintwork.

The fact that you used an original Vindicator mini (with is the BEST) is a bonus for me.  Thanks for taking me back in time 30 years to my imagination the moment I read the Vindicator fluff.  One of my favorites.

Well done!   O0
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2017, 21:58:59 »
Ok...weird.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2017, 11:23:07 »
Does the Vindicator have a resculpt version? This looks so "new"... 8)

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2017, 21:58:03 »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2017, 09:01:27 »
Nice job everyone.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2019, 18:20:22 »
Here's my Confederation Prefectorate Guard version, in a firing pose, since it's out of a lance pack.

Part of my generic team Green.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2019, 18:23:57 »
At one point, I had made a full company of Vindicators.  I gave some away, and have repurposed all but a little over a lance.

I kept the one modded with the Dao sword, and the ones of many colors. The others I'm turning into other Mechs out of '25/'39, like a Trebuchet, Whitworth, Panther, and something else.

A close-up of the Dao mod.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics