Author Topic: Storage/Travel Case for Minis  (Read 465 times)

Kithran

• Recruit
Storage/Travel Case for Minis
« on: 02 June 2023, 13:08:37 »
Hopefully this is the right place on the forum for this - if not I apologise in advance.

I currently have nothing to store all my mechs in or transport them to conventions for games etc. As such I've taken advantage of a convention offer to purchase a Battlefoam 1520 XL however I'm after advice as to what trays I should go for to actually take mechs - they seem to have a foam tray marked for 'small' BattleTech models in both 1.5" and 2" depth which appears to have 54 spaces, one marked for 'extra large' models which is between2 & 3.5" deep and a number that contain different sizes.

What would people recommend and why?

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Re: Storage/Travel Case for Minis
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2023, 12:47:32 »
https://us.battlefoam.com/battletech/

https://www.amazon.com/Foam-Game-Plus-Pluck-Storage/dp/B07GQ6LWMT/ref=sr_1_6?crid=BO6MJ7VNHHAE&keywords=foam+trays+for+miniatures&qid=1685814337&sprefix=foam+trays+for+mianiture%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-6

Foam trays and cases for me.  It is the best protection.  Not the most effcient in space storage, but I had a car accident with my minis onboard once.  The ones in trays survived.  The ones in bins and boxes did not. 

2" height covers all the new models. 

Luck

« Last Edit: 03 June 2023, 12:49:27 by Louie N »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2023, 13:07:19 »
I've a motley collection of cases but notably last year I got a bunch of Feldherr ones.  I strongly recommend the Half-Size Case 90, a nice small hard case that has two trays about half the size of a standard GW one, they do one for BattleTech where one tray holds 16 smaller minis and a second that holds 10 larger ones. It's more than enough for most games.  It's meant to be carried in a bag rather than having a strap or a handle.

I also got a Medium bag but I don't recommend that as much.  It's a soft fabric bag and it doesn't have anything to reinforce the interior at all so it's easier for stuff to get loose in from the smaller foam, especially if it gets knocked around.  Unlike, say Army Transport or Battlefoam the trays are sideways when you're carrying the case so that doesn't help either.  I'm considering finding some way to reinforce the interior, maybe just panels of styrene or balsa wood cut to size and glued into a square inside.

For long-term storage I got one of these boxes and it's working out very well, I plan to get some more of them and then sort minis into faction/paint scheme inside them.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2023, 14:14:04 »
I just use GW one for BT as well.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

ProfessorMRB

• Corporal
  • Not that kind of Doctor
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2023, 18:06:14 »
Your PACK will use "large" size trays, which is easy. Try primarily Battlefoam 2.5 inch Terminator 35 trays. The cutouts are the perfect size you want. I have a PACK 720 with a PACK Plus zip on bottom and that's what I use. These will fit almost any of the new plastics easily. The only ones that are iffy are Turkina, Stone Rhino, and Longbow, they'll fit but they're snug. If you have a metal Ares or something you'll want a bigger cutout, too, so I just got one of the 2.5 deep Battletech specific ones with the five larger hex cutouts for the big stuff, which is plenty for me. The rest of mine are the Terminator 35s, they're great. I put everything from mechs to vehicles to infantry in them. Each tray is roughly equal to a battalion (three companies), which is cool for painting and factions, too.
What stands in the way, becomes the way.