Author Topic: Looking Ways to remove paint from minis  (Read 498 times)

Intrepid117

• Recruit
Looking Ways to remove paint from minis
« on: 09 January 2024, 19:17:40 »
Hey guys

new to this so I bought a lot of minis there and thought. I was getting better so I went back to my starter set minis
So went to strip them with Biostrip 20 worked well but the base fell apart the mech seems fine and just bought new bases for them on eBay
but now I want to strip some other mechs and not sure what to go to

what I've tired
isopropyl alcohol (seemed ok wasn't great)
Biostrip 20 (worked well but damaged the bases and left some areas that I can't reach)

Primer - Citadel Colour Grey Seer Spray Can
Paints - Citadels

Greywind

• Lieutenant
Re: Looking Ways to remove paint from minis
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2024, 21:32:24 »
Super Clean.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2024, 23:45:41 »
Isopropyl alcohol will do just fine. If you have the modern plastics by CGL or lead-free pewter, follow up with a brass bristle brush to remove the stubborn paint.

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2024, 19:24:24 »
I have had some luck with Dawn Power wash, which I think is just dish soap with isopropyl alcohol.  I use it as its ment for things that touch food so I am not as worried handling things that touch it.  It usually takes a couple of rounds of spraying a mini down and scrubbing with an old toothbrush, but it gets the job done.

I have heard something called simple green works well but haven't tried it.

With stuff like this the better it works generally the worse it is for you to be around, so you have to figure out where that balance is for you. 

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2024, 20:56:48 »
Buy the concentrated Simple Green. Is biodegradable so it does not stink like paint thinner. Easier on the hands too. Walmart in the car section or
Home Depot.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2024, 23:18:33 »
I used to use simple green in the 90s, the new hotness is apparently LA's totally awesome cleaner from the dollar store though I've not used it yet myself but I have a bucket of 90s minis that need to be done.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2024, 10:26:45 »
LA's Totally Awesome. Or if you want to use a real paint stripper. Mostenbocker's lift off. Neither will eat plastic. Mostenbockers will soften it a bit if you leave it too long.

Totally awesome is fairly basic and can, undiluted, cause a mild chemical burn over a long time. Not a big deal, but if you were using a bunch for a long time, if wear gloves.

Soak them in a jar with Totally awesome for a week. Should come out almost entirely clean. There is a video from Goobertown hobbies where he tries several products. IIRC they soak for a month.
I

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2024, 21:04:12 »
Buy the concentrated Simple Green. Is biodegradable so it does not stink like paint thinner. Easier on the hands too. Walmart in the car section or
Home Depot.
This is what I use. I bought a huge container of it a long time ago and haven't
used it up yet.
I actually forgot a lead Ral Partha Ostscout and Locust  swimming in the stuff inside of baby food jars in my garage.
It had to be in there for at least 6 years.
The paint was off them , but they had a slight green tinge to them. Keep in mind they were
in the stuff for years. Wonder what else I'll find in there when we move.

Register