Author Topic: Custom designs  (Read 2343 times)

battletech

• Master Sergeant
Custom designs
« on: 27 October 2018, 08:45:52 »
Where do I load my custom designs so that they appear in the purchase unit screen?

I am starting a new campaign and would like to start with a couple of my reconfigured me he.
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every single time." - Natasha Kerensky

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: Custom designs
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2018, 09:01:39 »
Where do I load my custom designs so that they appear in the purchase unit screen?

I am starting a new campaign and would like to start with a couple of my reconfigured me he.

Anywhere within the /data/mechfiles folder is fine.

If you customize anything from within MHQ, it creates a /customs subfolder to keep those designs in; I prefer to place everything I build in MML there was well, to keep it separate from the canon stuff.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2018, 10:53:33 »
We consider it best practice to have a Customs folder in mechfiles folder for units made in the Lab.  Makes it easier to move between versions.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

battletech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2018, 14:48:58 »
I created a Custom file in the mechfiles folder and put my designs in there.
I still can’t seem to be able to find my designs in the purchase unit screen.
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every single time." - Natasha Kerensky

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2018, 15:09:56 »
When you say purchase I assume you are using HQ right? 

I also assume you have checked that you can purchase customs and the year and tech levels are not an issue. 

That said HQ loads the list of units when it starts
if you made a mech in Lab after you opened HQ you may have to exit HQ and start it back up to get the cache to reload. 

A GM button in HQ to force the unit's cache to reload would be nice in a future update if anyone is listening

battletech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2018, 16:33:11 »
Iceweb.
Yes I'm using Mekhq.

I'm unsure as what you mean by " checked that you can purchase custom"

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2018, 16:37:42 »
Iceweb.
Yes I'm using Mekhq.

I'm unsure as what you mean by " checked that you can purchase custom"

You need to make sure you have the Allow canon units only disable in Tech Limits.  Also delete the units.cache file and then restart MekHQ.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

battletech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2018, 15:42:49 »
You need to make sure you have the Allow canon units only disable in Tech Limits.  Also delete the units.cache file and then restart MekHQ.
Hammer,
Did as you suggested. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2018, 16:02:50 »
Do they appear if you just start Megamek?
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

battletech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2018, 18:03:03 »
Do they appear if you just start Megamek?
Hammer
I start Megamek, I open the customs file in mechfiles but none of my designs show up. (File appears empty) but If I look in the custom file through file explorer the designs show up.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2018, 13:15:25 by battletech »

battletech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2018, 13:15:55 »
Bump

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2018, 19:26:45 »
When you first make designs in MML, ensure the year of your Mech designs are appropriate for the AtB year you're playing.  Also note their tech level.

For the MHQ part, check your tech limits to ensure you have "only allow canon units for purchase" unchecked (which I know you've been told already).

Make sure your allowed tech level matches those of your custom designs.  Advanced covers most of the era-apporpriate weapons, but you may have Experimental level tech.

You might need to uncheck "Disallow extinct units and parts" if you're trying to, say, shoehorn rocket launchers into 3025.  But that might get you some out-of-era market purchases at some point.

In MM itself, under the Allowed Units and Equpiment tab, make sure your game options reflect the current year of your AtB game.  Also ensure Canon Units Only is unchecked.

Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

battletech

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2018, 19:57:35 »
1). When you first make designs in MML, ensure the year of your Mech designs are appropriate for the AtB year you're playing.  Also note their tech level

2). For the MHQ part, check your tech limits to ensure you have "only allow canon units for purchase" unchecked (which I know you've been told already).

3). Make sure your allowed tech level matches those of your custom designs.  Advanced covers most of the era-apporpriate weapons, but you may have Experimental level tech.

4). You might need to uncheck "Disallow extinct units and parts" if you're trying to, say, shoehorn rocket launchers into 3025.  But that might get you some out-of-era market purchases at some point.

5). In MM itself, under the Allowed Units and Equpiment tab, make sure your game options reflect the current year of your AtB game.  Also ensure Canon Units Only is unchecked.

1). I only use TOW designs as a starting point when making my designs.

2). That one is not checked.

3). I'll have to look into that one.

4). I'm not trying to do that, but I will make sure it's not checked.

5). I will have to check on that one.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 20:09:35 by battletech »

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2018, 20:03:10 »
It's possible you may need to rebuild your customs from scratch and GM mode - Marketplace - Purchase Units - GM Add them into your game.  Trying to modify the existing files often ends up with strange glitches.
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

Register