Author Topic: BattleChat - 26. I. 2013  (Read 38250 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: BattleChat - 26. I. 2013
« Reply #30 on: 26 January 2013, 23:06:33 »
Thanks for pointing that out but it should at least speed up 'Mechs and most vehicles and those tend to make up the bulk of most TRO's, so it should save some time and

Herb said that they use them, what more do you want. It's not like they're stalling them intentionally to get a rise out of you.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 26 January 2013, 23:13:26 »
Dark Age:
[03:25] <Nerroth> It's somewhat ironic that the Dark Age has been lying in wait from a BT perspective for a long time, but is now being talked about in light of the looing ilClan/3250 business. Do you still fee lthat the Dark Age will get its fair turn at the wheel, or is there a risk that people will be looking past it to the next gret leap forward?
[03:28] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - Since the great leap forward has pretty much been revised away (something about trying to offset panic or something) I think the Dark Age will get its fair turn, yes.

That's got me ticked. I was really  looking forward to the leap forward with the game getting a breath of fresh air and it gets whacked because of all of the whining. "Oh noes it's something new, let's all panic now".  Oh, well.  I do like the Dark Ages so it won't be a complete loss.

It's more of a "we're just going to stop talking about it because everyone is panicking over nothing". I think the leap is still going to happen, and one way or another we still get a breath of fresh air into BattleTech. Heck, a good part of 3145 is going to be pretty much brand-spanking-new (what with the ilClan and all), I really think they just want us to focus on the now instead of spazzing out over minor things that could easily change.

Garydee

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 26 January 2013, 23:26:30 »
It's more of a "we're just going to stop talking about it because everyone is panicking over nothing". I think the leap is still going to happen, and one way or another we still get a breath of fresh air into BattleTech. Heck, a good part of 3145 is going to be pretty much brand-spanking-new (what with the ilClan and all), I really think they just want us to focus on the now instead of spazzing out over minor things that could easily change.

"Since the great leap forward has pretty much been revised away (something about trying to offset panic or something) I think the Dark Age will get its fair turn, yes."

I don't know. It sounds like it's been totally thrown out. However, Herb tends to say a lot of things he doesn't mean when he's irritated.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 26 January 2013, 23:41:02 »
"Since the great leap forward has pretty much been revised away (something about trying to offset panic or something) I think the Dark Age will get its fair turn, yes."

I don't know. It sounds like it's been totally thrown out. However, Herb tends to say a lot of things he doesn't mean when he's irritated.

It's all speculation on our behalves anyway. Honestly, I think I prefer things like this. We already know that there's going to be a future to battletech, it's guaranteed unless something terrible like battletech getting the chop happens. The only difference now is that the writers have a heck of a lot more creative flexibility. If the super-awesome-great idea they had about 3250 turns out to be kinda meh, well, no worries! They can change it without having the fans get up in arms because we didn't have any expectations.

It also cuts down on the number of "This is the worst idea ever, how dare they ruin the franchise like this, I'm quitting Battletech rabble rabble" posts on the forums, which is awesome.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #34 on: 26 January 2013, 23:41:36 »
Herb said that they use them, what more do you want. It's not like they're stalling them intentionally to get a rise out of you.

SSW was used for RS:3060U and RS:3067U at the very least.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 27 January 2013, 00:05:52 »

It's written in the transcript that they use many fan-made software systems. IIRC Herb said in the chat that a few of the things that are slowing them down are warships, dropships and the like. On top of other issues. I'm not sure if you can tell, but I didn't log the chat T_T;

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #36 on: 27 January 2013, 00:22:48 »
The Leap Forward is probably still being planned out and what few details we were given caused a blind panic on both storyline and gameplay changes. Honestly, a good hunk of the forum paniced when it was announced. I have actually begun to like the idea of a big leap forward storyline wise, I just hope they leave gameplay alone. It doesn't need to be simpler, I like it for the complexity. The only great sadness I see is the lack of warship love.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #37 on: 27 January 2013, 00:26:38 »

I don't believe that is correct.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #38 on: 27 January 2013, 00:31:09 »
I know that there was plans to update SSW for armor at one time and bits of it can still be found in the files. Anyone know if that's still coming?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 27 January 2013, 02:02:12 »
SSW now support (had has for several months) through a companion program called Solaris Armor Werks

Herb said they used some fan made programs, not that they used SSW, make of that what you will

It sounds the Heavy Metal programs are only mentioned in the books because the license they're under

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #40 on: 27 January 2013, 02:10:34 »
I wish that TPTB would spend more resources on a good Design program for BT. It makes the game so much more fun to me.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 27 January 2013, 03:36:45 »
What's this about "inciting panic" with any mention of post Dark Age fiction?  I'm all for progress!!! Keep up the good work Herb!

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #42 on: 27 January 2013, 04:15:51 »
I wish that TPTB would spend more resources on a good Design program for BT. It makes the game so much more fun to me.

Catalyst has no rights to create any computer program for BT.  All the electronic rights for BT are held by Microsoft.

That's a discussion for a separate thread.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #43 on: 27 January 2013, 07:32:36 »
[02:06] <bigal> Can you list the ten products that you maybe  able to print this year?
[02:09] <@Habeas2> Bigal - I'll list some of them: [snip]  and Alpha Strike
I don't remember this one being mentioned previously. Any word on this?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #44 on: 27 January 2013, 07:35:49 »

Nope, no additional information was given.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #45 on: 27 January 2013, 07:52:52 »
I don't believe that is correct.

Ah, damn.  I meant MegaMek Lab rather than SSW. Ignore me.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #46 on: 27 January 2013, 10:43:54 »
Catalyst has no rights to create any computer program for BT.  All the electronic rights for BT are held by Microsoft.

Ok just wondering, I thought BT had something to do with those programs.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #47 on: 27 January 2013, 11:12:32 »
[02:26] <Circinus_Enquirer> What factions/forces are planned to be detailed in the 3145 books?  Will it just be the major Houses/Clans, or will the factionettes get summaries?  What about the rebel Senatorial forces that made it off Terra - still an active faction?
[02:28] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - All Great House factions, all major Periphery factions, all Inner Sphere Clan factions, and the most prominent mercenary groups. Not covered: Minor Periphery, Deep Periphery, or Homeworld Clans.

BU UH.... :'( :'( But But, i want to know if Randis use their hidden fleet to conquer the Inner Sphere!  ;D
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 27 January 2013, 11:32:26 »
Thanks for asking my questions DarkISI
===
Pity to hear they won't be making an XTRO Golden Cenury.  Could be some freaky stuff there.

I just realized I forgot to ask if they are currently planning on having ALL unseens eventually get alternate pre Phoenix images in the XTROs.  Save that for next time.

I thought that just related to video games.   

My confusion is as to how much work they have to do on a sheet.  I would have thought much of the work would already have to be done already when they do the stat sheet in the TRO to ensure they have statted a legal unit.

Interesting to hear the next Hex pack will mesh with TO, though that doesn't surprise me too much since TO contains stuff like swamps and jungles, deserts, dunes.
Now that someone mentions it,  Hex Pack: Castles Brian, would be awesome; though anything with gun turrets would be nice.  It is interesting to note that last time around, Herb said no when asked if there were plans to make Hex Packs using TO terrain rules (he mentioned how most of it was modifications to existing terrain types).

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #49 on: 27 January 2013, 12:42:23 »

BU UH.... :'( :'( But But, i want to know if Randis use their hidden fleet to conquer the Inner Sphere!  ;D

Still no mention of the homeclans in the 3145 books.  Does that include the Ilclan book?

Wants info... please don't make us wait 5 years again (or however long).

Aaarrrrrrgggghh.  Sorry I'm half nuts because my power has been on and off all weekend and I've been at my mom's house with a teething baby. @p? @p? @p?

To the patient go the spoils

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #50 on: 27 January 2013, 13:24:17 »
It's a fair bet that the IlClan book will resolve the Wolf/Jade Falcon plotlines from A Bonfire of Worlds rather than reintroduce the Homeworld Clans.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #51 on: 27 January 2013, 13:54:25 »
We will see.

There are still so many storeis for Dark Age to be told, that we will not have to lament about a lack of good stories, new units and new tech.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 27 January 2013, 15:00:41 »
Well if the timeline from previous battlechats is accurate by this time next year we should know the answers to all the questions.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #53 on: 27 January 2013, 15:09:49 »
Nope. Consider it a teaser.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #54 on: 27 January 2013, 15:30:47 »
Hello,

Oh, joy! I'm in trouble again....

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #55 on: 27 January 2013, 15:43:09 »
Thank you for asking the what the next XTRO Question, DarkISI!

My comments:  Why heck does Herb sound so depressed when he answering the questions???  Also, The comment saying the players wanting the play Shadowrun through me off abit.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #56 on: 27 January 2013, 15:45:04 »
Not to worry Herb.  We wouldn't be able to recognize you any other way!  Nuke on man, nuke on!
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #57 on: 27 January 2013, 16:21:23 »
Thank you for asking the what the next XTRO Question, DarkISI!

My comments:  Why heck does Herb sound so depressed when he answering the questions???  Also, The comment saying the players wanting the play Shadowrun through me off abit.

It might be because of how panicky the forum gets whenever he mentions anything the slightest bit interesting.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 27 January 2013, 16:32:30 »
It might be because of how panicky the forum gets whenever he mentions anything the slightest bit interesting.
If that is the case, maybe they should ignore us and just look what sale figures look like. 
People will always talk, type on impulse.  I support these guys and I like alot they do, but i don't like everything that comes out or some of the aims.

Charging forward and not letting mass being (insert your own words)s get to them.  I'm sure that it isn't so.  It must be alot pressure & stress to try please player base.   Sometimes I wonder if the internet hurts things too much sometimes.

Well anyways,  good news on products coming out.  I hope they come in soon! (..looks getting second job to afford more BT...)
« Last Edit: 01 February 2013, 13:07:51 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mukaikubo

• Corporal
« Reply #59 on: 27 January 2013, 16:33:40 »
I note with keen interest that Herb specifically only said they have no plans for Kickstarters relating to a Battletech book project... those who were wondering about a box set kickstarter may be in luck! ;D