Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 198746 times)

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
I'm pretty sure that's not an M2HB- the barrel shroud cover almost the entire barrel, and the pintle mount looks far too scrawny to handle the recoil of a .50.  The .50 was pretty much just a larger, heavier version of Browning's .30 caliber machine gun.

I believe that is actually a flex-mount M3 .50CAL machine gun. Note the spade grip at the back.

Damon.

Kidd

• Major
I believe that is actually a flex-mount M3 .50CAL machine gun. Note the spade grip at the back.
After taking a closer look, I'd say its an AN/M2 Browning aircraft gun, with spade grip added

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
Czech mechanised infantry unit on recent NATO exercises

Czech Pandur II IFV variant

Czech Pandur II recon variant

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Heh, wheeled MG Goblins,go fig.!

( That's the Goblin (MG) medium tank from 3026 TRO and Reinforcements, Volume 5: Vehicles, folks. Yeah I'm old!  xp)

TT

Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Heh, wheeled MG Goblins,go fig.!

( That's the Goblin (MG) medium tank from 3026 TRO and Reinforcements, Volume 5: Vehicles, folks. Yeah I'm old!  xp)

TT
not enough weapons. the MG variant Goblin has 6 MG's and an SRM6, the above only has, at best, 1.

if anything, the above is closest to your basic Wheeled APC from BT.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Except that only carries up to 10 troopers, more like a Heavy APC, Wheeled.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
Except that only carries up to 10 troopers, more like a Heavy APC, Wheeled.

TT
heavy APC's carry ~30 though. given that our IRL infantry gear is incredibly lightweight compared to BT's (we use smaller calibers, lighter armor, fewer and lighter support weapons, etc)  1 modern squad equaling a 1 ton bay fits.

closest thing we have to the BT heavy APC's is the 1950's M44* APC prototype, which carried 24 men and was built on an M18 hellcat chassis.
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_M44_armoured_personnel_carrier.html

oddly, it wasn't adopted because it didn't carry enough men.. since the platoons at the time used three 12 men squads.

the design would be cut down to a single squad size vehicle, the M75, as a result. which was one of the predecessors to the M113.

« Last Edit: 14 September 2018, 14:35:11 by glitterboy2098 »

kato

• Captain
I nominate the TPz Fuchs 1A4 for a proper BT heavy wheeled APC.

Fully equipped it comes with three MGs plus a Milan mounted up top. With 10 guys in the back. It's sorta the slightly smaller brother to the Heavy Wheeled APC, MG Variant.

The more current version one can buy looks like this:

https://abload.de/img/transportpanzers-fuchtueoi.jpg

Basically adds MEXAS add-on armor, AMAP-ADS active defense system, 40mm ROSY-L and 76mm SVPS multispectral smoke grenade launchers, and a RWS for armament. Uh, and a dozer blade for when you want to use that for internal security instead of as a APC...

Kidd

• Major
To this day I look at the M60A2 Starship, and think, was that really a thing?!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Unfortunately...
I have spoken.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
In MERDC no less! She may have been ineffectual, but she was a sexy beast...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I think the worst thing about that tank is the earworm.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
I think the worst thing about that tank is the earworm.

Earworm?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Not exactly AFV's but I couldn't find the guns thread.

How to make Bayonetting worse!

An American invention during World War I, the flaming bayonet was an attachment to the standard American M1903 Springfield or M1917 Enfield which was placed below to the bayonet. The attachment consisted of six cartridges loaded with flammable chemicals which could fire a burst of very bright flame up to ten feet. It’s purpose was not to clear out trenches like a regular flamethrower, as it could only fire a quick burst. However it was intended to be used to distract or blind the enemy so that the user could close to within bayonet range. I can’t find much info on this weapon, however it is probably unlikely this device saw much combat, if any at all.  Apparently the device had ignition problems, added to much extra weight to the front of a rifle, and was of dubious usefulness. The flaming bayonet  project was discontinued in 1919.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
https://imgur.com/gallery/SB2QGM7

*quietly head canons that this is what a AC-20's loading cycle is like just sans the bloke loading the cordite charge into the rammer.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Is that the FH-77?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

grimlock1

• Captain
https://imgur.com/gallery/SB2QGM7

*quietly head canons that this is what a AC-20's loading cycle is like just sans the bloke loading the cordite charge into the rammer.
What's the dangly bit on the right?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
What's the dangly bit on the right?
i believe that is a crane assembly holding the next three shells, ready to be fed into the feed tray.

Charlie 6

• Captain
i believe that is a crane assembly holding the next three shells, ready to be fed into the feed tray.
Yup, a bit curious as to where/when the fuzes are affixed as it somewhat presupposes what the next three rounds are.  Great if you are firing HE but what if you need smoke or a different fuze.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Arty's not quite like a tank fight; you get told what to lay down and where and only then do you start fusing, loading, and firing.  Each fire mission, anywhere from "five rounds from one gun" to "I need the entire division celebrating July 4" is going to be told ahead of time which rounds to prepare, load, and fire.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Yup, a bit curious as to where/when the fuzes are affixed as it somewhat presupposes what the next three rounds are.  Great if you are firing HE but what if you need smoke or a different fuze.

As the BT forum's resident ex-USMC artillery expert, how did you guys do it?
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
He's a bit hard to spot but there's a chap in front of the shell lift on the right and he's probably the one adjusting the fuses of the rounds.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
I think youtube clip show a better view of how it is done with the FH77. Warning - this is a 8 min 12 sec youtube clip of the Indian Army doing a demonstration firing, enjoy the giggles.

https://youtu.be/w_dWEtK94Wg

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
I think youtube clip show a better view of how it is done with the FH77. Warning - this is a 8 min 12 sec youtube clip of the Indian Army doing a demonstration firing, enjoy the giggles.

https://youtu.be/w_dWEtK94Wg

Why are they running around like their trying to loosen pressure on their gentlemans parts O_o

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
It is called high-stepping, just consider it their version of goose-stepping.

Charlie 6

• Captain
Arty's not quite like a tank fight; you get told what to lay down and where and only then do you start fusing, loading, and firing.  Each fire mission, anywhere from "five rounds from one gun" to "I need the entire division celebrating July 4" is going to be told ahead of time which rounds to prepare, load, and fire.
As a former firing battery commander, battalion and regimental operations officer I am wrestling with my response. Please wait.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel

is that a long-winded way of saying artillerymen are more scholarly?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
OK, let's get some AFVs back in the AFV thread.

The Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle (AMPV) will begin low-rate initial production this month.

The Bradley based vehicle will be produced in 5 variants to replace the US Army's M113 family.
I have spoken.

Register