Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 198931 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
But that's the average population, right?

I'd imagine that there's a maximum height requirement for being a tanker in Russia and their population is large enough that they can recruit a sufficient number of people of the right height.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
That was the Soviet way.

Uni graduate? Strategic Rocket Forces
Short? Armour
Still here ? Infantry.

See Suvorov's "Inside the Red Army". Great read; just remember it's how the author believes things.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kidd

• Major

The most you're gonna save is a ton or two of actual steel, and while that may make you lighter and smaller it's not by far the most expensive parts of the tank. 

It IS true, relatively, that a smaller tank is going to be harder to hit at the same distance as a larger tank.  With modern guns and FCS, that margin of difficulty is mostly a joke

A combat-loaded T-72 is about 45 metric tons, an M1 Abrams is about 60 tons, significant difference when it comes to mobility considerations.

And, well, the small silhouette idea was something started when FCS and gun stabilisers weren't as accurate as all that, and the Soviets put some stock into it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Fair point, though that also should point out the Abrams is a good 3 feet and change longer in the hull and I think wider as well.  I'm thinking of 'taking the turret and making it larger' only really involving that amount of extra steel since the composite front end, gun, autoloader, and the hull of the Russian tank would all stay the same.  IIRC there's also a lot more armor on the Abrams hull as well compared to the T-72, but I can't name that offhand.

And as far as the T-80 goes, granted, I'll concede the price difference between it and the Abrams is pretty significant, but I don't think it comes down to a case of 'buying 100 2 million dollar tanks or 40 5 million dollar tanks' as far as resource availability.  I could be wrong!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Fair point, though that also should point out the Abrams is a good 3 feet and change longer in the hull and I think wider as well.  I'm thinking of 'taking the turret and making it larger' only really involving that amount of extra steel since the composite front end, gun, autoloader, and the hull of the Russian tank would all stay the same.  IIRC there's also a lot more armor on the Abrams hull as well compared to the T-72, but I can't name that offhand.

And as far as the T-80 goes, granted, I'll concede the price difference between it and the Abrams is pretty significant, but I don't think it comes down to a case of 'buying 100 2 million dollar tanks or 40 5 million dollar tanks' as far as resource availability.  I could be wrong!

Turret size is really limited, as I understand it, by the turret ring size; while you can increase the bustle to counter balance a larger or longer gun a lot of the hard limits on a tank are set by the turret ring diameter. I don't know if you can increase things on the T-XX series designs much.
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Kidd

• Major
Space for the 4th crewman and general creature comforts add up. Also yes, despite having smaller dimensions and hence requiring less volume of armour to achieve similar protection, the baseline T-64/72 has really horrible armour on any location not "front turret" - sides are about 3 times thinner than Western tanks

And even then they have to resort to slathering on the ERA blocks
« Last Edit: 12 November 2018, 18:41:02 by Kidd »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
I'm really surprised Russia stuck with that design paradigm for so long.
they already have the factories, infrastructure ,and trained workers to make them. it is easier and cheaper to do an incremental update to an existing design than to create something massively different. especially when the updates largely involve internal systems like targeting system, radios, etc, and not the hull, turret, and gun.
the T-14 Armata was their "all new build" effort to break out of the T-72 standard, and look how well that worked out for them?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Canceled mass production in August, they'll run two battalions of 40 of them with 1st Guards Tank Regiment in the Moscow garrison.  Everything else is going to be upgraded T-80s and 90s, and keep about 6,000 T-72s of various mark from the smelters as reserve tanks.

It was an interesting idea, two points for effort if not the best execution.  (Having your prestige machine break down at its unveiling parade didn't look so good)  I for one like the idea of a digital cockpit with cameras and decent size screens; maybe the next-gen followon to the Abrams will go gonzo for the driver and TC and go full EOTS/HMS/HMHUD.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
I for one like the idea of a digital cockpit with cameras and decent size screens; maybe the next-gen followon to the Abrams will go gonzo for the driver and TC and go full EOTS/HMS/HMHUD.

What do you think this is, a QuadVee stuck in track mode?

I jest...

Virtual World all over again...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Canceled mass production in August, they'll run two battalions of 40 of them with 1st Guards Tank Regiment in the Moscow garrison.  Everything else is going to be upgraded T-80s and 90s, and keep about 6,000 T-72s of various mark from the smelters as reserve tanks.

It was an interesting idea, two points for effort if not the best execution.  (Having your prestige machine break down at its unveiling parade didn't look so good)  I for one like the idea of a digital cockpit with cameras and decent size screens; maybe the next-gen followon to the Abrams will go gonzo for the driver and TC and go full EOTS/HMS/HMHUD.

Old info. Another order palced for ~138 according to army recognition. https://www.armyrecognition.com/army-2018_news_russia_online_show_daily/russian_army_has_ordered_132_t-14_tanks_t-15_armata_infantry_fighting_vehicles.html
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Basically they want a low level production to keep the know-how, and then they can ramp up the production numbers when all the kinks are ironed out and they can roll out A variant.
Shoot first, laugh later.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Another order, or just expanding the 100 purchase to 132?  (My info was dated August 1 2018)  If they were going to fit a third battalions, the numbers roughly crunch with spares, though how many tank BNs would Chertkovsky Regiment have in total as the armor attachment to 2nd Guards Motor-Rifle Division?

Kidd

• Major
It's a mix buy of IFVs and tanks.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Meanwhile...photo realistic Bolo!

Obviously fake but still kinda cool :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Land ship?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
I dont know what that landship is, but I want a miniature of it.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Oh hey a stealth Traction City.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard

Obviously fake but still kinda cool :D
Or Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Luciora

• Major
Not tan enough

Or Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust

If that was real, how many cruise missiles could it survive?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

grimlock1

• Captain
Depends on if its a battleship with treads or a cruiser on tracks.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Not tan enough
PFFFT you never seen some of them in players' preferred colors and symbols.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
 The Turkish Marine Assault Vehicle (MAV). I'm wondering if it's an all new vehicle or an AAV7 with a new set of clothes?

I have spoken.

Charlie 6

• Captain
Looks similar to the AAV Survivability Upgrade that was recently cancelled.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Not many. it is a vehicle, so motive criticals will take care of it real fast.

kato

• Captain
I'm wondering if it's an all new vehicle or an AAV7 with a new set of clothes?
It's FNSS, so it's probably a vismodded upscaled M113 like their ACV-30...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Not many. it is a vehicle, so motive criticals will take care of it real fast.
Not a mobile structure?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Not a mobile structure?

Given how much bigger it is than the tank in the picture, it has to be a mobile structure.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sharpnel

• Colonel
The Turkish Marine Assault Vehicle (MAV). I'm wondering if it's an all new vehicle or an AAV7 with a new set of clothes?

It looks more like it would be the latter
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
It's FNSS, so it's probably a vismodded upscaled M113 like their ACV-30...
not exactly vismod if they are actually rebuilding the hull to make it properly amphibious. but that does look like a M113's motive system under there.
https://www.janes.com/article/84642/fnss-to-show-marine-assault-vehicle-in-2019