Author Topic: really nice game with my students today  (Read 1615 times)

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
really nice game with my students today
« on: 19 October 2019, 01:46:26 »
So I teach second grade and every Friday we do a brief choice time in the afternoon, where all the students from the grade can choose a classroom to go to based on the activity they want to do. My classroom is the boardgame room. I have been gradually teaching my kids to play classic Battletech out of the Beginner Box and they've been pretty into it, but today was the first time that students from one of the other second grade classes decided to try it out. Two kids each took a WVR-6M and I took a GRF-1N. It was an absolute slugfest with both kids staying in knifefighting range the entire time, everybody running past each other at top speed spraying missiles and lasers and periodically jumping for no real reason. One kid (whose name is WALTER which is such a good name!!) absolutely lost his MIND when his SRM6 hit with all its missiles and yelled "I LOVE THIS GAME" while we marked off damage. It was really fun to see how excited and nervous they were when they were making their dice rolls.

We have yet to finish a game during the time that we have but it doesn't really matter (and it's kind of nice to have a game where no one wins, to be honest). The kids really like taking their record sheets home and it's cute to see them carefully tucking them into their take-home folders. Also, second graders are at the perfect age to absorb an almost unlimited amount of complicated minutia, and there's something really funny to me about steeping a generation of children in various mech variants common to the Inner Sphere circa 3025.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: really nice game with my students today
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2019, 06:42:52 »
Bravo!  :thumbsup:

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2019, 07:30:32 »
You are the coolest teacher ever. Seriously.  8)
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2019, 02:24:08 »

This is awesome! 

Battletech I have always thought would be a good teaching tool for kids, both in following a formula in mathematics (target numbers are plugging in variables to an equation, if you look at it that way) and as a decision-making training tool (so many risk-versus-reward mechanics).  Glad to see it being used that way, even at the basic level!
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2019, 07:55:42 »
I loved my second grade teacher, but she would've been even cooler if she did that!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2019, 11:29:13 »
This is the kind of wholesome content I love to see on the forums.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2019, 16:53:51 »
Man, if my 2nd grade teacher had let me play BattleTech I'm not sure I would have been able to accomplish anything else that year. Good story OP.

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2019, 01:31:12 »
This is the first year that I've decided my classroom is "the boardgame room" - in previous years, I supervised a computer lab or made sure kids didn't fall off the playground (my classroom is an old preschool room so we have a tiny playground right outside) - and the change it has wrought in the community is pretty pronounced. I used to kind of loathe choice time because it felt like kids would just release all this pent up recess energy and the whole atmosphere was SHENANIGANS from start to finish, but boardgames provide such a nice structure for having fun together.

Yesterday we celebrated having a nice observation from my principal by playing a game with Locusts for the first time, which was predictably hilarious: one of my students lost an arm and put one of her own arms inside her shirt in solidarity. This is the same student who asks me every morning for a painting update for the classroom mechs (we voted on the colors as a class through run-off voting, and we've been using standees in the meantime), and one of a few who is asking for rules for heat, critical hits, pilot injuries, etc.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2019, 01:33:11 by mooonmagic »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2019, 15:38:21 »
Im glad that school allows you run Battletech for the kids among other board games. :thumbsup:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2019, 05:06:30 »
My younger son, aged 6, fell in love with 'Mechs when I started back playing BT with the friend I was playing with at high school (after 20+ years).
He made me print 'Mech pics that he would colour and wants to know about weaponry loaded on each 'Mech, their strenghts and weaknesses... During my first scenario (a lance vs. lance standup fight set in 3050) my MAD-5S tore off the head of an opposing MAD-5R with its Gauss Rifle (which is what probably decided the game in my favour). My son was so excited about it!
We already play a lot of boardgames, new and old ones. He is learning chess very fast and I thought: can I let him play with 'Mechs? The only decent boardgame around loosely related to 'Mechs is 'Mech vs. Minions but it wouldn't work. Then I found out about Alpha Strike, in particular with its introductory rules... it worked so well! Even if he can't read (now he is learning that as well) he fell into the game quickly. Now we play on hex map using the Alpha Strike conversion rules and I am adding a bit of complexity at each battle... works very well and we're both very happy.   :thumbsup: