Author Topic: The New Adventures of DeathWatch (an ongoing Campaign)  (Read 4801 times)

Wombat

• Captain
The New Adventures of DeathWatch (an ongoing Campaign)
« on: 10 December 2011, 18:24:37 »
I'm sure some of you remember my last campaign involving "the Damned"? In short, a small mercenary unit calling themselves "Deathwatch" was working in the Periphery and managed to stumble upon Bristol, finding (and helping themselves to) the Wolf's Dragoons Omnimechs Dragoons had mothballed there when they originally came to the Inner Sphere (the year of the campaign was roughly 3025). Naturally when the Wolf's Dragoons learned of this, they were after Deathwatch. Somehow in the course of their adventures Comstar got involved, got a copy of the Exodus Road map and Deathwatch found themselves going to the Clan Homeworlds (much like canon events with Operation Bulldog), Wonderful campaign (hense calling the players "the damned"). Deathwatch was never seen again, but one wonders whatever happened to this small (but determined) Mercenary unit?

Flash forward to current events; 3054, shortly after the Clan Invasion...

Well its time for a new campaign. Tonight I laugh a homeworld campaign (but it won't be in the Clan Homeworlds for long). Note: I realize I bumped up the Clan Burrock absorption (and by such, the whole Commodus Van Houten and the whole Prinz Eugen heist) by a few years, took a few liberties here and there, but it proves to be fun! My crib notes for this session:

Act I – Recruited by Chapter   Players are bandit caste. You live your life as opportunistic raiders and brutal enforcers for the deFacto leader of the bandit caste; Commodus Van Houten. You are part of the “new Castrati” of Bandit caste. You fight as a means to an end. The old hard-liners who are often heard referring to Tanis, the moon the Dark Caste occupies Caliban Nebula, as “Clan Burrock-in-Exile” - although few in your unit care of unit names so long as their bellies are full and the greater might of the Clans is not brought to bear on them. An outsider’s outsider, you are not of the Inner Sphere, but not necessarily of the Clans either. One warship, the Texas-class warship Prinz Eugen, and perhaps two Galaxies of rusty and atrophied warriors is all that stands between you and utter annihilation. You are a MechWarrior by trade, working as a rogue element of Clan Society.

•   Show map of Inner Sphere / Map of relative position to Clan Homewords.
•   Provide backstory into Dark Caste sheets

July 17, 3054.  Albion (Former Clan Burrock Capitol World, now in possession by Clan Star Adder).

•   Your ragtag unit is conducting a raid under the orders of Commodus Van Houten on the Southern continent of Albion in order to secure food, medical supplies, and perhaps miscellaneous supplies.
•   Your Dropship, the ISC Kowloon, has docked (or rather perched) on the remote cliffs of Cabo Girao, about 7km from the port dock town of Sumarkt.  While intel from Tanis is sketchy, asset placement has the 13th Cloister of Cloud Cobra, a impartial star of 3-4 damaged medium class Battlemechs, defending Sumarkt. Your orders are to get the food/medical supplies along with any targets of opportunity and get out within the hour.
                                                                        <<PROCEED WITH BATTLE>>
After-action: The Battle goes not at all as planned. Not only was intel completely inaccurate, but your unit has been completely decimated.  All your ‘mechs have been either incapacitated or destroyed. Worse still, the ISC Kowloon was pushed over the edge of the Cabo Girao into the sea below. The wretched crashing sound and subsequent Fireball leaves little doubt to its fate.
You, along with your surviving Bandit Caste invaders, are brought in leg-shackles to a Karnov hovertank and transported to the Capitol City of Albion, Roth.  Internment Camp Complex 19. Here you are processed, given an orange jumpsuit, and put in the general prison population in Internment Camp Complex 19.

•   Everyday you wake up, go to morning chow, are released into the “exercise yard”, go to evening chow, and then are herded into a court room for about 30 minutes before being returned to your cell. The well-worn stadium-style wooden benches reek of urine and sweat. They seat 50 prisoners at a time in a rough “U” pattern shape. In the middle of the room sit three men, obviously commanders. You are given no instructions, just chained to the bench for 30 minutes and then ushered back to your cell. The cycle seems to repeat itself day-in-day out.

Chance Encounter: On the exercise yard, you encounter a fight between two large Elementals –vs- Graff the Elemental. His ebon skin and deep accent aren’t what catches your eye, but rather that he hasn’t been completely disarmed; he has a live Huntress Fire Viper around his neck like a scarf.

1.   The first man is obviously a Clan Star Adder Star Colonel based on his uniform. His name is Blitz Nagasawe.  File he generally appears “fit”, a successful perception roll will reveal his sunken eyes, shaky hands, and that he appears to be holding in his gut.
2.   The second man appears to be the saKhan from Clan Coyote. His name is Jarold Koga. He appears to have a list in his left jacket pocket.
3.   The third man, while wearing the uniform of a Clan Cloud Cobra Oathmaster, he also has on a long flowing red robe on the exterior. Several rings are on his fingers as well as a necklace partially hidden inside his robes. He is Clan Cloud Cobra oathmaster (and Pope-in-Exile) Nigel Khatib.

Backstory – Long dead Cloud Cobra Oathmaster Windham Khatib was a Chaplin in the SLDF during the exile almost 300 years ago. He was the apparent hair of the Church of the Crucifix (Roman Catholic) and supreme pontiff of the church before the Exodus in 2874 and was due to be named the next Pope. Unfortunately since he was in the exodus, he was never named Pope. Instead the title “Pope-in-Exile” has been carried down in the midst of Clan Cloud Cobra for the past 300 years despite another Pope existing in the Inner Sphere. Clan Cloud Cobra follows “the Way” – a Clan religious movement which focuses on finding common ground between all religions.

>>Ironically, all three men do not appear to be talking to the prisoners surround them, just to themselves.

Nagasawe: “I tell you, it is an outrage! Everyday the Invading Clans in the Inner Sphere grow stronger in their conquest of the Inner Sphere surrats while we stagnate in the Homeworlds. Operation Revival only benefits those on the prowl.”
Khatib: “That’s only because we lack the relics to convince the ilKhan of our rightful place in the invasion corridor. If prophecy was heeded and acknowledged, we would be a the forefront. I believe the Way would have us annilate the blaspheming Clans from the Inner Sphere so we could sharpen our own fangs into the dogs of the former Star League.”
Koga: “But how? Its not like a legal injunction will matter in the Grand Council, nor will a polite Hallmark card from us asking them to not grow too powerful because it makes us Home Clans look weak.  No, my friends, duplicity is in order.”
Nagasawe: “Duplicity? Of What nature? Not that I am opposed, of course, but any action we take against the armies of the Invading Clans, Wolf, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, or the Ghost Bears will not turn them on themselves; nor will in weaken the minions of the Inner Sphere.  No gentleman, what we need is a small detached unit to fan the flames of contention between the Invading Clans…perhaps even gather intelligence on the minions of the Inner Sphere in the process.”
Koga: “Impossible. No Homeworld Clan would volunteer such a unit.”
Khatib: “Perhaps no conventional unit, given that it would go against zellbrigen (the Clan practice of single honor-bound combat), but an unconventional Clan unit could sew quite a bit of chaos between several competing Invading Clans.”
Koga: “An unconventional Clan unit? Where would be find such a unit.”
Nagasawe: “Elements of nonconformity exist even in the Clan Homeworlds. Take the Bandit Caste for example. They live in Clan Space yet do not fit into any particular accepted genre of Clan society.
Koga: “You mean their outcasts.”
Khatib: “…is that a bad thing?”
Koga: “Not as such, although you’ll recall that dealings with the Bandit Caste is what ultimately caused the downfall of Clan Burrock.”
Nagasawe: “Although a good portion of the former Clan Burrock has exiled themselves to the Bandit Caste. Perhaps we could recruit a few?”
Koga: “Out of the question. We’d be no better than the Burrocks.”
Khatib: “The Burrocks might disagree. Gentleman. I give you your duplicitous Clan unit, unrestricted by Zellbrigen, 100% deniable, and best of all…they work cheap.”
Koga: “This is beyond consideration, but hypothetically, what could we ever offer Bandit Caste, even former Burrock warriors, in exchange?”
Nagasawe: “Freedom, after a fashion, of course. We offer them the one thing they want – recognition.”
Koga: “You go too far, Nagasawe. You are suggesting that we offer, in effect, to legitimize the Bandit Caste into their….into their own Clan?”
Khatib: “I’d endorse it…and do you know who else would?”
Koga: “If you say the ilKan, I swear by Kerensky I’ll….”
Khatab: “No, of course not. But I do have a signed affirmation by 11 of the Homeworld Clans with approval of said action. All have agreed to legitimize the creation of a new Clan should this duplicitous unit succeed.”
Nagasawe: “NO!”
Koga: “This would be like throwing pebbles against the cliffs, hoping for an avalanche. “
Khatib: “An avalanche that would be quite beneficial to the Homeworld Clans, does not involve the use of known assets, and is 100% deniable. The reward would be well worth the risk of recourses we provide them of.”
Nagasawe: “So in exchange for autonomy, this unit stirs up tensions between the Invading Clans, gathers intel for the Homeworld Clans of matters in the Inner Sphere? I suppose you, as the so-called Pope-in-Exile, would have certain items you’d like retrieved as well?”
Khatib: “Naturally. I have a list of a few trinkets which should prove to accelerate my own position as Pope-in-Exile said unit could obtain. If your going to town anyway, might as well pick up a carton of milk, right?”
Koga: “So its agreed. Now we just have to find the right…candidates.”

>> At some point, players will agree to their terms and be brought in to meet with Clan Star Adder Star Colonel Blitz Nagasawe, Clan Coyote saKhan Jarold Koga, Clan Cloud Cobra oathmaster (and Pope-in-Exile) Nigel Khatib.

They will meet their “hand-selected” Homewold Clan coalition approved crew.
•   Present character sheets of NPC's
•   Present Trinity, their new ship.

Roll2 2D6 to find ‘mechs onboard. All players choose their initial ‘mech (before I roll up their dreams and shatter them against the rocks).

"The codename for your unit is Chapter. You are to be given clearance Beta-7 and are, on the rolls, part of the Clan Watch; answerable only to the ilKhan. You are not to discuss this mission with anyone. "As always, should you or any of part of Chapter be caught or killed, the Homeworld Clan coalition and the office of the oathmaster of the Pop-in-Exile will disavow any knowledge of your actions. And you may kiss your ass goodbye."

Set out to InnerSphere. Long-a journey. Time permitting; they will land on the jade Falcon world of Vantaa, masquerading as Wolves, in order to stir up contention between the two of them and get them fighting each other more. Unit will (hopeful) escape.

Batchall:
“To the surrats and defenders of the former cradle of humanity do we issue this batchall. We, the descendants of and rightful heirs of Kerensky were not impressed with the pretend warriors that pathetically attempted to defend this world and have thus earned the blessing of ilKhan Tobias Katib to redeem the liberate the Star League to its former glory. With what units do you defend Vantaa?”

Items to obtain in the Inner Sphere:
•   First Edition copy of the Ghuthenburg Bible
•   Crown of Richard Cameron
•   Spear of Destiny
•   Additional 18 items on list.

« Last Edit: 28 January 2012, 12:43:49 by Wombat »
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Wombat

• Captain
Continued...

Players were introduced to their crew tonight. All of them Bandit Caste members who'd "volunteered" for the mission in the Inner Sphere. The kick-back, of course, legitimacy in the form of recognition by their Clan counterparts as well as food and supplies for their settlement in the Caliban Nebula. The crew set-out on a whirlwhind adventure. [One my player chacters, elected to take a home-ruled "disadvantage" of being a sociopath in order to afford some advantages] Unfortunately, instead of getting some intelligence at a local watering hold, decided to play target practice on a large kerosine tank at a small Diamond Shark merchant post/bar; destroying it in a rather large explosion. (can you say marked for life? They arrived several months later in the Inner Sphere where they were to obtain IFF codes for the Jade Falcons in a military complex.

The idea here is, once they can infiltrate a Falcon unit with the correct codes, they can easily switch them at will, firing on multiple units at the same time and initiate a grand grand melee. Naturally they did so, but only after managing to kill off at least a dozen security guards and several Scientist Caste members. Then they discover another Bandit Caste member looking for the same codes.

Yep, evidently the team of Bandit/Dark caste is not the first team sent on this fool's errand.   :o

Will they initiate war between two rival Clans or will they end up as worm food? Hard to say as the commander of the unit is a sociopath who likes to shoot first, shoot again, and the shoot the corpse a few times just for kicks instead of asking questions. A personal high tonight was during the 'mech battle to gain admittance into the complex, a Nightwolf (I know, wrong era) was perched on top of the complex itself and failed its piloting roll. Down it went...on its head! Totally virgin 'mech too up until that point.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2011, 10:05:29 by Wombat »

Nibs

• Captain
You know I'll definitely be interested in what happens to your errant and unlucky victims (or PCs, whatever!).

And what they've done sounds interesting already!  O0

Wombat

• Captain
ACT III – The rise of Bandits.  Players were last seen on on the planet of Butler performing a raid on a hardened military complex of Clans Jade Falcon attempting to get IFF codes to impersonate a Clan Jade Falcon unit in an attempt to stir in-fighting between them and other invading Clans. They succeeded in their mission. IFF codes obtained.

1). Queue the music:
•   XP for previous mission
•   TOE for unit
•   They are not out of the woods yet...

Inside – The sole team Elemental Graff volunteers information about the mission. Prior to departure, he was asked to make an example out of one of the team but he chose not to. He has additional information, claims the team was setup “from the beginning”. He does have additional intel about who is behind a plot against the unit when the building is rocked with an explosion! Units from Smithson’s Chinese Bandits are attacking the complex, believing that it is still being held by the Clans. The building begins crumbling underneath and all around them. A number of falling stones start to fall. Elemental Graff seemingly sacrifices his life to save another. (he make make a cheesy B-movie return in another episode) The poisonous snake he keeps as a pet, the Huntress Fire Viper strikes at one of the team members, giving him 2 D12 rounds to live.

• Colonel McShane is bitten, begins to loose feeling in his arm

Outside – Elements of Smithson’s Chinese Bandits have converged on the building and are attacking the only 'mech left on patrol (the Highlander IIC) quite nastily. Radio chatter indicates they believe they are fighting Clan Jade Falcon units while looking for looking for a mercenary unit “DeathWeath”. The team dropship, the Trinity, reports radio chatter from a yet a 3rd unit. By the time the rest of the unit gets out, another unit shows up; 10th Lyran Guards led by Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, crowned Prince of the Federated Commonwealth. On a successful Communications roll, it is revealed his unit was dispatched to “clean up” Butler and recapture it in the name of the Federated Commonwealth.

•   Intel. The military complex complex is sitting on the side of a great cliff and canyon that makes the Grand Canyon pale in comparison. 7 miles down...
•   The unit may stay and (attempt) to fight both units.
•   Attempt to to persuade one of the units to turn on the other
•   …or attempt to escape and cross the “Perazzo” land-bridge. The bridge itself is basically a “high-tech” suspension bridge between two continents. It is three mapboards long and four hexes wide. Falling off the bridge = instant death. 7 mile drop into shark-infested waters below. The bridge itself is supported on either side by conventional suspension cabling system and in the middle by 28 independent fusion “JATO” rockets supplied by a gas feed on either side. Fully supported by rockets and cables, the bridge can support up to 230 tons at a time. For every JATO lost, the bridge loses 5 tons of support ability (90 ton minimum).

The players BARELY make it across the bridge. Victor Davion's chase the players onto the bridge and, just when all hope is lost, one of the players got out of his 'mech and set it to auto-destruct; blowing the bridge. Without means to cross the bridge, and seeing as they have a Jade Falcon military complex to investigate; Victor Davion's unit allows the three player 'mechs to escape.

2). On the other side of the Perazzo land-bridge (aptly named for the Perazzo Continental Divide), The player's dropship Trinity has taken up. At this point, provided players didn’t destroy Smithson’s Chinese Bandits, the players are approached by Rezzik Liu, the emissary for Ajax Indrahar. He will be looking for the unit "Deathwatch" and, and is apparently unaware that the Trinity has come under new ownership. He will inquire into the units name and was to offer to bankroll Deathwatch in a mission of the “highest importance”. Ajax Indrahar is the unofficial head of the Japanese Yakuza, the Koman syndicate and the illegitimate son of Subhash Indrahar. Rezzik Liu, who refers to himself as an emissary (or handler) for Indrahar, does not seem to care who is in possession of the Trinity and, as far as he is concerned, assumes the players ARE the Mercenaries Deathwatch. He offers them a job. He is willing to finance the unit (regardless of who they actually are). He would like the unit to perform a “modest” raid on New Oslo repair and supply depot in the Clan Wolf occupation zone.

The commander is treated for his snake-bite. Unknown to him, it will have dibilitating effects on his hand coordination.

“Mister Indrahar does not take no for an answer. You are now in the delivery business. You represent Mister Indrahar now, and as such can expect many fringe benefits to your new-found employment. Mister Indrahar has a laundry list he would like…filled. Delivery is expected on or before August 1st.”

•   (2) Daishi Battlemechs
•   (4) Ryoken Battlemechs
•   (8) Suits of Elemental armor

3). Sadly they can't leave...just yet. The Trinity won’t take off, electrical issues. Parts needed. Apparently there has been some form of sabotage, as it was, the Trinity barely cleared the Perazzo Continental Divide before touching down again. Accord to the player's tech, the port-side vacuum plasma inlet manifold has been ruptured and the Trinity cannot take off with the Starboard thrusters only. Specialized equipment (or possibily an Elemental suit) was used to rupture it. Sabotage? Not that it matters, but another must be located on planet.

Thankfully there is a "convenience store" just on this side of the bridge.A small dwarf of a man named “Thrakka” at the convenience store, actually a nearby gas and fusion recharge station just on the other side of the Perazzo Continental Bridge, says there is a nearby town that may be able to supply or modify a part to repair their ship:

1.   Eastbrook

The players leave their 'mechs in their busted dropship and help themselves to the convenience store owner's hovercar and make for Eastbrook. Upon arrival at eastbrook, the citizens assume you are there to rob, pillage, or enslave them. Several farmers shake their fist at the Players as they walk into town, throw lanterns at their hovercar, and generally try to make you feel as unwelcome as possible. While in Eastbrook, think any number of western towns in Firefly, a leather worker named Cyrano Jones mistakes Kolath for a man who skipped out on his pregnant daughter Marie and insists Kolath “do right by her” and marry her. He’s armed with a shotgun. He is eventually disarmed. Eventually players stumble on a pimp named Artie Van Bruen who runs the local prostitution ring who offers to trade one of the team’s weapons in exchange for the location of a town where you can get the supplies you need: Kassen.

2.   Kassen

Kassen is a community all to itself. Beyond the high city wall surrounding it, a small stream seperates the guardshack from the rest of the town. A sign in multiple languages seems to contradict itself by reading “outsiders keep out!” and “Kassen, home of the Battlemech rodeo…come try yer luck!”

The telltale sound of two ‘mechs slugging it out in what could only be described as an old-west version of Solaris VII in the center square of Kassen is unmistakable, even from a distance. Most of the nearby houses and structures seemed to be hardened to resist being crushed of blown up from this tight-quarters combat. As players get closer, they notice a yellow Stalker finishing off a pair of Hunchbacks. The small crowd nearby, who only moments before were screaming and passing bets back and forth cheers as the announcer, Robby Scoggins announces the winner.

“…and that’s the match! Your winner and reigning champion, your favorite and mine, Roth the Annihilator!”

The canopy on the Stalker opens and a bearded man with an odd-looking red eyepatch climbs out and waves to the crowd. After a bit the Stalker walks off to a nearby garage and a large timer in the center square football-style scoreboard begins counting down to the next match.

-   Most people in town can talk of nothing but betting on the ‘mech fights and seem not to have a Naval-class port-side vacuum plasma inlet manifold the Trinity needs. Oddly enough, the General store has a vacuum fusion inlet and the Blacksmith has a plasma housing that could be retrofitted together to work as a Naval-class port-side vacuum plasma inlet. Sadly the entire town seems to use only Steiner Kroner and refuses to accept C-Bills. 

“Your money’s not good in this town!”

Players may either trade one of their ‘mechs for the supplies needed, attempt to steal or take them by force (unlikely since most of the buildings, being this close to ‘mech fights, have a energy dampening field around them), or fight in the Battlemech rodeo against Roth the Annihilator. The Commander of the unit chooses to enter, is given the user of a "loaner" Warhammer and fights. he wins!
- After the win, former champion Roth will ask to come with them. Apparently he is under the believe the loser will be summarily executed. The players accept another Warrior into their motley group.

4). Decision time. Rezzik Liu will warn they will regret not taking the job he's "so graciously offered". Team can either take the Indrahar job working for the Japanese Yakuza and go to raid New Oslo or stick with the original mission of going to Port Moseby and Clan Wolf and Clan Smoke Jaguar fighting each other using acquired IFF frequencies.

•   Indrahar mission to New Oslo?
•   IFF swap mission to Mort Moseby?
•   …or both?

Eventually the players chose to accept the mission, masquerading as the mercenary unit "Deathwatch" and going on the raid on New Oslo. The team was able to install the Naval-class port-side vacuum plasma inlet manifold on the Trinity and are able to leave.

Gamemaster notes: My campaigns are nothing if not a glorified Keven Smith movie. I have a tendency to pay homage to previous campaigns and incorporate previous characters into the next campaign, refer to events or units from the previous campaign, and have cameos-o-plenty. "Deathwatch" was a mercenary unit that stumbled in the Wolf's Dragoons supply cache on Bristol in a previous campaign and used the Clan 'mechs in this cache in their own mercenary business in the Inner Sphere in 3025...to unfavorable results. Eventually their ship, the Trinity, was lost in Clan space, but their legacy remains. This new player group is assumed to have the same ship.

...and yes, the "real" Deathwatch will most likely return.  ;)

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
Re: The New Adventures of DeathWatch (an ongoing Campaign)
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2012, 18:55:06 »
Awesome story Wombat. What do they have for their TO&E exactly though??
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2012, 01:38:52 »
Awesome story Wombat. What do they have for their TO&E exactly though??

Table of Organization and Equipment (circa 3054)
Alpha Command Lance
   Commander Conroy McShane
   Captain Koloth
   Sergeant Floyd
   Tank Lieutenant “Gunner”

Beta Fire Support Lance
   Captain Brash Jerricho
   Lieutenant Focus Theory
   Corporal Ramanamurty “Rama”
   Sergeant “14K” (yeah, thats his name)

Auxiliary NCO
   Warship ”Trinity” Captain Kit Deveaux
   Technician Heidi
   Doctor Sebastian
   Liaison Rizzik Liu

Equipment and Operational Status
   Cougar B – Fully Operational
   Crab CRB-33i – Engine damage, Internal Structure damage
   Wolverine WVT-91 – Fully Operational
   Sun Cobra SUN-G5 – Fully Operational
   Archer (WOLF) – Fully Operational (targeting lockout)
   Cygnus (Gunslinger) – Mild Armor Damage
   Exile EXE-66i – Fully Operational
   ShadowHawk SHD-SHD-2i – Fully Operational
   Rifleman IIC Ianto – Mild Armor damage, Arm Damage, Gyro & Engine Damage
   Highlander IIC HGN-8i – Mild Armor Damage
   Nightwolf NWF-9i – Missing head
   Shrike SHK-8i – Arm/Weapon Damage, Internal Structure Damage, Engine Damage

Death Watch Irregulars Support Craft
   Agrippa Class, TRN-3i “Trinity” - Fully Operational
   Visigoth F Omnifighter – Fully Operational
   Fire Ant ANT-81 Hovercraft – Fully Operational   
   Fire Ant ANT-8i Hovercraft – Fully Operational

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2012, 12:29:56 »
ACT VI – "Bob’s your uncle"

Players were last seen on Butler. Having escaped the 10th Lyran Guards , blown up the Great Perazzo land-bridge (one of the 12 wonders of the galaxy), earned a new pilot (name, of all things "14K"), took some nefariously-gained profits from a gambling community of Kassen, and eventually attained a replacement port-side vacuum plasma inlet manifold for the ICS Trinity. Thanks to their new “handler” for the mob-boss Indrahar, Rizzik Liu, they agreed to take a job for the notorious Yakuza on New Oslo (for the sum of $25 million C-Bills).  They are obtain through any means available:

•   (Two) Daishi Battlemechs
•   (Four) Ryoken Battlemechs
•   (Eight) Suits of Elemental armor

…oh yeah, and your “Deathwatch” now! Since the players are operating in the former Mercenary unit Deathwatch's ship, the Trinity, the handler for Yakuza mob-boss Ajax Indrahar assumed the players were, in fact, Deathwatch. An offer was made to them, for the generous sum of $25 million C-Bills, they are to go to New Oslo and "liberate" some equipment.

1). As they were quite a ways away from their ship, it took about (3) hours by hovercar to get back to the Trinity (thanks to the manifold barely being able to be strapped to the top of the hovercar they drove out to Kassen in) and another (5) hours to replace the part. Problem: In order to install the port-side vacuum plasma inlet manifold, a proper spaceport gantry is needed to support the ship while the port-side landing struts are removed. Additionally, due to the high-winds coming off the Perazzo Continental divide, merely supporting the craft isn’t good enough. At least (5) ‘mechs 85 tons or heavier will be needed to lift and support the craft for (5) hours.

In the that time, a number of patrols looking for them. Several ‘mechs have managed to find a pass through the Perazzo Canyon and have managed to locate them. About 3 ‘mechs will be available to fight the patrol. According to the Captain of the Trinity, the 10th Lyran will notify the rest of the Brigade of their discovery. Choice is to:

•   Fight them and take off quick. There is about an hour of repair time left.
•   The Trinity is capable of diverting its Lithium Fusion battery into an ECM pulse that will take out the 10th Lyran (and Deathwatch too) radios, leaving nobody able to communicate. Unfortunatly this will add about an hour to their takeoff time as the Lithium Fusion battery is the power conduit for the thrusters.

The players, under the assumed name of Deathwatch, managed to use their larger 'mechs to hold up the ship on one side while repairs were made. The remaining three 'mechs fought off the a scout unit of the 10th Lyran Guards. Oddly enough, this unit had a "banner" 'mech, mostly used to a symbol rather than an actual fighting machine; a Mackie! This 'mech is hundreds and hundreds of years old and was piloted by a member of the Steiner royal household. When the battle went badly for the 10th Lyran, the elderly pilot attempted to leave. Unfortunately he was killed along with the fighting symbol of the 10th Lyran; the Mackie.

Victor Steiner-Davion will not take kindly to this.

2). Liftoff!  Crew will spent about a week in transit to New Oslo. Lets get one thing straight. New Oslo is not Butler and is not a walk in the park. New Oslo is considerably behind enemy lines and is accessible only with the use of the stolen IFF codes they had previously obtained. The good news is that, since there is only one inhabited island on New Oslo, Isla Del Tigre, and we’re all Clan Wolf around here on New Oslo, wink-wink-nod-nod thanks to the IFF codes, the checkpoints and border patrols are somewhat lax on world. The Trinity set down on down on the Playa Negra plains:

To gather the complete list for Indrahar and the Koman Syndicate While Rizzik was not helpful forthcoming on which complexes you need to obtain the ‘mechs and Elemental suits from:

•   Bergen Industries factory complex B
•   Gorton Dock Terminals

Unfortunately getting into these complexes will be a bit more tricky. Thankfully, since this is considered a research/development and training island, its somewhat common to have ‘mechs parading around the Isla Del Tigre. Your handler, Rizzik, who is slightly more helpful than an alarm clock, mentions there used to be a safehouse at Campo de Balompie. The man your looking for is tattoo’d from top to bottom, runs a small Ramen shop, and goes by the codename “Chef Boyardee”.

•   There are four Ramen shops in Campo de Balompie.
•   Eventually players find their contact. The players commander Conroy McShane (thanks Jason, way to throw a monkey wrench!) is a bit of a sociopath and proceeds to knife the contact rather than pay him for the map of Isla Del Tigre

Bergen Industries The Bergen Industries suffered a much different fate when it was captured by Clan Wolf  during the Clan Invasion. While the Draconis Combine were mostly successful in their attempt to destroy the plant before being pushed off-world, the Wolfs quickly rebuilt and restored the Locust line to production. Pathetic by Clan standards, the Wolf’s stepped up their efforts to integrate and move wholesale into the Inner Sphere the site was selected for the production of new designs combining Clan and Inner Sphere technology to reduce strain on lengthy Clan Homeworld supply trains. In the last 7 months, the Bergen Industries factory has begun producing combat-ready Daishi ‘mechs.

Players used their fake credentials, supplied by their freshly-murdered contact, and easily walked in, grabbed (2) Dire Wolf/Daishi 'mechs and marched them back to their ship. Since this is a supply world, they are not challenged. They also managed to steal a flatbed truck and obtained (8) Elemental suits, which also were transported back to the Trinity.

Gorton Dock terminals began life as a law firm holdings for impounded equipment subject to litigation headquartered on New Oslo. Since the Clan invation, many of the connections and partnerships with so many civilian manufacturing concerns and holdings are, frankly, more complicated than the Wolf Merchant caste could handle and thus subcontracted with the former Kingsley, and Thorpe employees and executives who ran the plant to better facilitate the supply yards. Miles and miles of wooden crates liter a seemingly endless a former ferrocrete runway. The Ryoken “packages” are in crates D-236, H-972, C-220, and N-994.

The buildings was over-run with both private security and Clansmen on the base. When players went to obtain the crates holding the Ryoken 'mechs, an alarm went off. After defeating several guards and making their way to a security room, the computer reveals their packages in crates D-236, H-972, C-220, and N-994 have already been taken! Furthermore, the computer has the complete "new" Deathwatch unit, complete with the players character's pictures, under a file marked "Patsy". A reference to "Bob" can be found, which after a lot of hacking in the system, reveals is their former Elemental named Graff. Yes, Graff (and his Huntress Fire viper "Cuddles") is still alive. It appears he has been playing the characters from the beginning, using them as a Patsy for some other unit. The name of this unit cannot be found as no name is listed.

•   Cutting their losses, and realizing they have been set up from the beginning, the players doubletime it back to the Trinity on the Playa Negra Plains.

As they arrive in, another dropship appears to be parked relatively close to the Trinity. A (not-so familiar voice) comes on the radio. It is Rizzik Lieu:
“I apologize for the miscommunication in my misassumption in your misidentity that you were Deathwatch I bid you fairwell. The situation has been rectified, the aforementioned renumeration has been reappropriated and the predescribed and accepted gainful employment and object thereof has been transferred to the bonafide unit of Deathwatch. I do appreciate the ride, though.”

...in short, the original unit of Deathwatch was working with Rizzik (and presumably Graff/Bob and Indrahar) from the beginning. The players have been set up and framed.

•   Several large ‘mechs appears to be offloading some material and cargo, including the “Exile” ‘mech that was in the Trinity. The cargo bays of the Trinity have been transferred to a a similar Agrippa-class warship, the “Slave One”. A man by the name of Vortigan Kern explains that they recently returned form a mission abroad and were contracted by Rizzik Lieu to do a job, but they couldn't do the job unless another unit, under the name "Deathwatch" was employed to take a fall for the nefarious deeds they'd done.

“All money has been transferred into back in the real Deathwatch’s account in a addition to several fees for my services. I do hope you understand.”

>>Players are both out-gunned, and not in their 'mechs. The real Deathwatch unit proceeds to take the Daishi 'mechs, the Elemental suits, and a few of the 'mechs belonging to the players before leaving in their ship. The players commander, Conroy McShane, vows to hunt down Deathwatch for playing them. A blood feud is born!

The unit is left, on New Oslo, accused of crimes they (well they did) commit, and lacking enough firepower to defend themselves; they are broke. Angry. Wanting revenge.
Somehow they have to get off-world, find and destroy the unit known as Deathwatch, find a large man with a Huntress Fire Viper going by the name “Bob” and kill him as well. Players have, for all conventional purposes, become pirates...

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2012, 22:35:19 »
Pure frakkin' genius Wombat, Beautiful,  ;D :D ;) I'm glad I'm not one of your players (Victims). I'd have a coronary in 1 session.

U are Evil  :) :)
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2012, 11:31:46 »
ACT VII – Operation dinner-out

Gamemaster's Note: Yes, I realize some of you are going to point out that Hanse and Max died differently. True, but why not take the Gamemaster's Fiat and apply it for a little extra "umph"?

Players were last seen on the Clan wolf Occupied world of New Oslo, meeting some “new friends”. Players have learned that their former and presumed dead Elemental, Graff, is not dead. Not only is he very much alive, but has been operating behind the scenes and pulling the strings under the pseudonym “Bob” for his own nefarious purpose. He is thought to be the right-hand-man to Ajax Indarhar. The personal envoy to Indrahar, Rizzik Lieu also appears to have been duplicitous in regards to the players assuming the patsy role of a rogue mercenary unit “Deathwatch” until the original mercenary unit known as Deathwatch arrived at the conclusion of a job for mob-boss Ajax Indrahar, at which point they stole back:

•   (2) Daishi ‘mechs
•   (4) Ryoken ‘mechs
•   (10) Suits of Elemental Armor (8 from heist and both sets of Graff’s old armor)
•   Virtually everything except the Fire Ant tanks and the Visigoth Omnifighter
•   The team still has anArcher (targeting computer lockout) and the Cougar. Nothing else!

1). If there is good news, it would be the ICS Trinity is still standing and has suffered no damage. Even more fortuitous is that, even though players are behind enemy lines, the IFF codes they obtained (on Butler) seem to be holding. A search of the ship will reveal other stolen equipment <mark out list of missing equipment> and one missing crewman; Doctor Sebastian.
Another discovery is made. Thanks to the recent top-to-bottom restore and rebuild on Butler, the mainframe computer on the Trinity is firewalled and protected. The old Deathwatch email based off Galatea, however, is not. Email is being rerouted and subsequently erased…quickly! Players managed to recover four (4) emails before the account was purged.

>>1st email is cryptic, somewhat degraded,  and mentions something about the Deathwatch mercenary group itself changing roles & becoming the personal honor guard for the First Prince of the Star League. The email itself is somewhat degraded, information is missing…but it seems cryptic since there is no Star League right now.

>>2nd  email was from from a merchant Campo de Balompie asking confirmation for re-route of supplies from DeathWatch dropship Trinity to Deathwatch dropship Slave One. A Western Outfitter, Shanks McGraw, had a recent customer with a large pair of trunks purchased. These "trunks" were apparently sized 4x4x6.2" (body sized) and were apparently diplomatic trunks, thus not needing to be security scanned. The email was requesting a diplomatic duty-free authorization packet number to ship the trunks to his location. Payment was made on the Deathwatch corporate account, but it appears all routing information has been recently changed. Purchase Order: # SM608j-073 Customer name: Doctor Sebastian Lucas. Salesman: Gideon Shanks.

- When players arrived at the store selling the trunks, they found out that the purchaser, the former team doctor who went AWOL, absolutely needed these trunks delivered within 5 weeks to New Canton (House Liao). Something "big" is going down in 5 weeks there.

>>3rd email was from another merchant, Brooklyn Cross-Applied Technology, in Campo De Balompie, looking for a CrashCart subsidiary permit on DeltaWare sold to “Panzer” of Deathwatch mercenaries.

-  A few days prior, they sold a Type IV direct neuraljack ‘mech interface for a Category 3 Battlemech to a man named Panzer of Deathwatch. Since this is dangerous augmentation in the wrong hands, a CrashCart subsidiary permit needs to be signed (and wasn’t). Panzer was boasting about some “big score” in the next five weeks and, during negotiations Panzer was headed to Solaris VII to participate and try his luck in the annual championship.

>>4th email was from Scooter’s Fine ‘mech Emporium in Campo De Balompie. A large refit order was placed from Deathwatch mercenary company. Purchased signature: “Yoshi Hikaru”. Salesman was Chubbs Rin.

- While Scooter’s Fine ‘mech Emporium appears to deal in ‘mechs, vehicles, and the occasional Orion slave girl, the refit that was ordered from the original mech company DeathWatch mercenary  appears to be some linkages and refit myomer for a custom heavy ‘mech and, since the parts had to be shipped in; requested them shipped to Scarborough Manufacturers on Al Na’ir in the Draconis Combine. He did state must arrive in six weeks.

The ICS Trinity can arrive at any of these locations in 4-6 weeks, but not all of them. The team had to split up. The bulk of the team will (likely) travel with the Trinity while two others secure alternate transport to their destination worlds. Team Split up and went to

1.   Sham Shui Po, New Canton, Capellan Confederation
2.   Championship Games, Solaris VII
3.   Scarborough Manufacturers, Al Na’ir, Draconis Combine

A). Gei-Fu, New Canton, Capellan Confederation. Gei-Fu is is the capital world of the New Canton Duchy in the Capellan Confederation. Gei-Fu is also one of several Death Commandos Regional Training Center. Death Commandos are loyal (and answerable only) to the Chancellor himself; Maximillian Liao.

•   Tryouts are being held in the next 2 days here in Gei-Fu for the Death Commandos. Its rumored that the Chancellor himself will be there. Warriors from all over House Liao have gathered on New Canton, by invitation only, to try out. To try out, you must have a parchment scroll invitation.
•   Since they players did not have an invitation, they managed to steal one. Interestingly enough, player "Kolath" shot a pre-paid prostitute but elected not to steal her jewlery. Such a nice guy!
•   After battling in several competitions, Kolath managed to earn an opportunity to join the Death Commandos. He is given the Liao Cluster of Conspicuous Heroism ribbons and given the opportunity to shake the hand of the Chancellor Maximillian Liao. As he does shake his hand, a single gunshot is heard and the Chancellor falls into his arms, covering him in his blood. He’s quite dead! The crowd, as well as several dignitaries that were watching, scream and begin to panic. Several Liao secret-serviceman nearby arrest Kolath.

In the cell he learns that Sebastian was involved, but Sun-Tzu Liao was aware of the assassination and did nothing to prevent it. He is shown a “doctored” playback video in which he appears to have pulled the trigger and commited the crime. Sebastian appears to be more than he appears.

- Oddly enough, Kolath is freed later on Galatea.

B). Championship Games, Solaris VII.  One of the other players, Focus Theory (his mother was a hippie) managed to contact one of the local stables, Skye Tigers, and earn a place in the championship by pulling a Justin Xiang and knocking out of the competitors and taking his place.

You also learn that Hanse Davion, leader of the Federated Suns half of the Federated Commonwealth, will be attending the fight.

During the course of the fight, which Focus Theory (eventually) wins, he becomes the runner-up on Solaris. A podium photo is shot with three mechs standing on the dias; Hanse Davion being in his Battlemaster for the photo. The other 'mech, having Panzer in it, shoots Hanse's Battlemaster in the face at point-blank range, killing him. Focus Theory manages to escape Solaris but the news is grim. Hanse Davion is dead!

C). Scarborough Manufacturers, Al Na’ir, Draconis Combine. At the start of the 2nd  Succession War, three nuclear warheads were detonated in near the Scarborough facility, destroying it completely. The EMP and radioactive fallout rippled through the other nearby facilities, inflicting massive damage. The corporation's headquarters tower collapsed as a result of this strike. Over the last few decades, Scarborough has started to recover after making some drastic cutbacks.
One of these recoveries is the recent OmniMech conversion facility where refits can be made on exisiting designs. The facility was financed, in part, by the Draconis Combine’s very own Internal Security Force, Draconis ISF.  As part and parcel for financing Scarborough, the sole requirement of ISF Director Subhash Indrahar (wow, that name almost sounds familiar) as a ISF Secretariat office be attached at Scarborough. Subhash Indrahar is viewed as one of the most feared men in the Combine. Perhaps even more feared than Kurita Coordinator Takashi Kurita himself. He is known as the great intelligence trendsetter. His policies in security resonate throughout the Inner Sphere.

•   On arrival, player will find the spaceport, and small town of Trivoli, is literally built around the facility. Much like the scene from Enter the Dragon where martial artists are in parade formation, several ‘mechs are in formation and doing their best to impress the visiting ISF Director.
•   Your sidearm must be turned into a small locker at the gate.
•   Demonstrators are required to wear a red and green striped jumpsuit with a picture ID. There is a small locker room where these can be obtained. Forgery +3 required to “doctor up” an ID is required. He manages to get an ID to get into the facility!
•   Several ‘mechs are in the loading docks including several Clan ‘mechs on display for the ISF Director (seeing as this a testbed Omnimech conversion facility).
•   During the presentation, Subhash Indrahar is supposed to be on the dias. Player can attempt to sneak into the Director’s office. The director’s office is a complete mess. Papers, files, and books everywhere. During the snoop, the director walks in. He doesn’t seem at all surprised to see you and, after adjusting his glasses and taking a moment to recall, even seems to know your name. Mucg to his surprise, however, Subhash is in the room!

“You. Your involved, however coerced you may have been, in that terrible business with my son…not that I suspect you the scope or depth of his machinations.  It won’t come to fruitition you understand, but I expect him to try nonetheless. The sad truth of the matter is it stands a very good chance of succeeding, and therefore I may be forced to expediate his journey to the next life in order to prevent his ambitions in this one. Pity, you are just a pawn in this manner.”

•    Before you can extract anything else from Subhash Indrahar, his eyes go wide for a moment before his white robe bleeds through in Rorschach inkblot red. He falls, and continues to stare up at you as if trying to mouth something else. Yoshi Hikaru, from Deathwatch, is standing over his body, holding your gun in some “hitman surplus” white surgical gloves. He looks down at the body and smiles at you. With his last breath, Subhash seems to be writing a series of numbers on the floor in his own blood. He drops a credit chip.

“…nah, old man. No plot points this time. Junior has been waiting for this moment for a long time. Oh, and thanks for the fingerprints, (player)..you just killed Subhash Indrahar! I bet you were wondering why we left you alive back on Butler, but like Kern said, if we kill you, you can’t learn anything. Well that and Bob still has uses for you. No go, run along back to the pretend Deathwatch unit.”

<Yoshi pulls a bomb out of his coat pocket on the desk and hits a button. It begins beeping. He looks at your gun and smiles>

“…you know what? I think I’ll hang onto this gun. Its got a nice balance, looks good with a suit, and quite frankly, one never knows when I’ll need your fingerprints again to incriminate you again. Tootles.”

•   Yoshi runs out and in his Maelstrom ‘mech, powers up, and begins walking towards his ship. Player McShane intervenes, and fights Yoshi in 'mechs.

The Maelstrom, a customheavy with 2 ER PPCS, 2 heavy Mediums, and two Mace (30 points DMG each on those bad boys) eventually falls. McShane gets information from a dying Yoshi after he ejects, and them shoots im in the face.

Aftermath: Your the has gathered back together on Galatea. The news reports continue to come in. Maximillian Liao is dead. Hanse Davion is dead. Oddly enough, little to no reference is made of Subhash Indrahar’s death; granted this is hardly surprising given his position as one of the oldest (and longest servicing) intelligence director’s in the Inner Sphere. It would seem this trifecta of assassinations was times to happen at the same time so as to avoid suspect.

•   The team managed to salvage 6 'mechs
•   They re-register themselves under a new name: The Red Lancers

They find, during the course of looking at downloaded reports from the ISF that Ajax Indrahar, estranged son of Subhash Indrahar, was being the killing of Hanse Davion and Maximillion Liao...as well as his own father. He is attempting a takeover, and just might succeed! It appears his ambitiions even involved some of the Clan leadership. Deathwatch appears to have sold their souls in exchange for a piece of the pie.

...only the Red Lancers stand in their way.  O0
« Last Edit: 06 February 2012, 11:33:25 by Wombat »

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2012, 17:17:03 »
As I said earlier, Ur Evil  ^-^ ;D :D :-[

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2012, 12:35:02 »
ACT VIII – Bangers and Mash. 

Players were last seen on Galatea. The news reports continue to come in. Maximillian Liao is dead. Hanse Davion is dead. Oddly enough, little to no reference is made of Subhash Indrahar’s death; granted this is hardly surprising given his position as one of the oldest (and longest servicing) intelligence director’s in the Inner Sphere.

•   Players established their new merc name "Red Lancers" with the MRB Due to confusion with a similar Liao unit, the clerk entered "Crimson Lancers" on the document instead.
•   Miles Mek Worx, a local workshop on Galatea, recognized the Trinity and offers to do work on your ship and ‘mechs at a discounted rate.
•   You have several credit chips from Subhash Indrahar totaling $43 million C-Bills.

Players visited the Galatea ‘mech auctions, and then elected to get some infromation by visiting the infamous Shadow Broker, an information broker on Atreus.

1). The Shadow Broker can be found on Atreus, Free Worlds League. It’s a Terra-like world, with a single moon named Wendigo. Atreus' land area is comprised of four continents: Ionia, Corin, Lanan, and Paltos, which is home to many of the Free Worlds League's rich and famous. Paltos has its own spaceport and a micro-industrial area where several hovercars are made.  Pariah can be found in a 3rd story flat known as the “Harem”. Naturally the Harem isn’t on any particular tourist map of Atreus.

- After sever hours, they found find the complex in an uptown Paltos “brownstone” neighborhood. Several hovercars seem to line the road outside. Several informants can be seen on bus stop benches, telephone booths, and gardeners. Several Pakistani workman appear in the hallways leading up to the Shadow Broker’s flat.

A single old lady sits in the lobby knitting a sweater. Oddly enough she has an Uzi in her knitting bag.

>> Pariah sees nobody without an invitation.

The thick metal door with 2-inch rivets looks strong enough to keep a Hunchback from walking through it. A pair of gleaming eyes looks through a 2 in sliding peephole and, in a low Oddjob voice, demands “the password”. The doorman wants a password and proof you are NOT a cop. Commander McShane "proved" this by shooting the old lady in the head.

•   Inside the Harem plays soft Arabic music. Sheets of satin in every color of the rainbow appear to be hanging from every room with soft satin pillows of varying sizes everywhere. Weaved Persian rugs cover the floor up to a small dais, where a lion’s head sits underneath a small blond woman. Several people appear to be smoking hookah (along with other things) and drinking. A thick cloud of Peyote covers the room. Several armed guards line the walls, their combat rifles trained on you.

“Your reputation precedes you, McShane, but Pariah see’s nobody without a damn good reason. All the same, given the recent cataclysm of events, I’ve been expecting you. No doubt you have many questions, and although the Deathwatch anomaly process has altered your circumstances, you remain in fact irrevocably….screwed. Make no mistake that, although neither the authorities nor the news media has made the connection (or been made aware of the connection) between yourselves and the murders of Maximillian Liao, Hanse Davion, or Subhash Indrahar, the so-called evidence of your guilt is at this very moment languishing on a shelf somewhere waiting for the right opportunity to be used. Your, what are you calling yourselves know, “Crimson Lancers” , are living on borrowed time. Dead man walking, McShane, thankfully, I think we can mutually benefit each other. No doubt this is the moment with those creatively nefarious impulses kick in and you attempt to glean understanding through the blood-splashed reflection of your blade as it exits through the opposite end of my spine but, rest assured Lancer, this waltz is danced a bit differently on my ballroom floor."

"I propose a trade - information for a favor. You will no doubt find this is one and the same. One of my henchmen, my best in fact, was unfortunately incarcerated for certain acts of impropriety. I wish to invoke early release for him. His name is Bar Code. His description is irrelevant as you will immediately recognize him. He is being held in the maximum security wing of the Williams Bay Penitentiary on Delavan Prime. Naturally I had a man on the inside poised to get him extradited, but sadly he was discovered and his disarmed. Literally.”

   A rather large case is opened up and a pair of cobalt-blue cybernetic arms lay in the case.  One player is suggested to have them cybernetically attached so the user can bend bars or punch through a wall to allow for Bar Codes escape. The arms function as normal but have a +6 STR to them, also they have a +4 alternate identity skill for use with fingerprints only. The fingerprints can be loaded through a palm scanner on the left hand. The hands currently have the fingerprints of the lieutenant warden loaded. Player "Focus Theory" (what a name!) is given over to have elective surgery.

2). Delavan Prime.  Delavan Prime is a sub-arctic world about three jumps from the Federated Suns capitol of New Avalon. Outside of ice-shippers, interstellar convoys of iceberg deliveries to water-poor planets, not many people come to Delavan Prime. Elements of the 19th Arcturan Guards are known to conduct winter training exercises here from time-to-time, but the town of Williams Bay is relatively quiet. Its an entirely artificial town in that the entire industry and workforce of Williams Bay revolves around the Penitentiary. There are a few General Stores in town, a single tavern, and a Comstar HPG.

<Prison is guarded by (2) ‘mechs of the 19th Arcturan Guards>

   Playerswill fought their way through the prison to reach the central prison database.

   The Warden is not on site, so there is no way to open all the cells, and considering the prison is housing violent sociopaths (like McShane), it would be unadvisable to do so.

   The file and cell number for Bar Code (an absolutely huge blue man who appears to be tattooed blue with a barcode tattooed on his forehead),is F-38 Yellow.

   Players with a +4 Perception will notice the name Yoshi Hikaru (the pilot of a mech they THOUGHT they killed) in the central prison database in cell P-92 Blue. 14K notices the silent alarm has been tripped. Elements of the 19th Arcturan Guards will arrive at the prison in 5 minutes. You may get to both cells if you split up.

   There is a prison yard inbetween you and Yellow Cell block. You need to split up again. Someone must act as a diversion to the remaining guards and prisoners for someone else to get to F-38 Yellow. Entry is restricted as this is Maximum Security to fingerprint only. Cannot be hacked remotely.

A). Diversion in yard. The prison workout yard has several bleachers overlooking a single basketball court, a small workout station with dumbbells and weights, and a small volleyball net. Prisoners appear to be dressed in colors based off their cell assignment. It appears to be mostly Yellow jumpsuits out, indicating thugs and murderers for the most part. Your job is to keep the guards and prisoners occupied for at least 5 minutes. Your team will signal you when they have BarCode and Hikaru in their possession.

   During course of struggle, you meet a large Hawaiian who goes by “Big Kahuna”. He claims to be a ‘mechwarrior and was thrown in prison because he “accidently” killed three guys with a knife. He also claims to have an assault-class ‘mech hidden on a moon in the Yojati system. If you you take Big Kahuna with you, he will show you his ‘mech and work for you. Players will later discover that, while he's a decent 'mechwarrior and seems to have a decent personality; he's a cannibal. Thankfully he "almost never" eats his teammates...

B). Going after BarCode in cell F-38 Yellow. The maximum security wing is a fortress. Several feet of resin-glass separates each of the cells, augmented by iron bars and high-tensile cabling. There is a security-check gate at entrance that must use a biometric fingerprint scanner to gain access. Assuming the diversion in the prison yard is underway, several (but not all) of the guards will run down to investigate. You must incapacitate several of the remaining guards and find a way into BarCode’s cell. One discovered, you may either attempt to flee with him or you may use the mobile holographic emitter (with impersonation skill) to sneak out again. Focus Theory (again, interesting name for a character) managed to get in and out without attracting attention.

   Barcode is not the brightest guy and will not come with you until the name Pariah is mentioned. She has included a short holographic message for BarCode for you to play for him. He grunts a lot.

   A successfully Perception check will reveal a timer on the wall in several places. When it reaches zero, knockout gas is released. Thankfully the cell is cleared!

C). Going after Yoshi hikaru in cell P-92 Blue. Unlike BarCode, Yoshi appears to be held in the minimum security wing of the Williams Bay Penitentiary. His cell appears to be quite nicely furnished with several sofas, a television, and a private shower even. A single computer can be found in his cell along with a printer and a small lockbox. A silver tray sits on a table with portions of an unfinished meal. A welcome mat sits outside his cell door. A simple 10-digit number pad appears to be the only lock on his cell door.

   The man in the cell insists you’ve got the wrong person. He claims to be Owen Ghaffaldi, and says he does not know the combination to his cell.

   (he actually does)

   When cornered, Yoshi will reveal that he saw the writing on the wall. As part of the Yakuza, Yoshi saw the ambitions of Ajax Indrahar and knew something big was going to happen. He therefore arranged to have an underling, a naïve but exceptional Mechwarrior named Rayfield Hubacci take his place in the Maelstrom. Nobody, not even Kern, was aware that Yoshi managed to get himself a comfortable cell to lay low. “…eventually I excepted the Deathwatch and Indrahar thing to implode, so I figured a nice cushy prison cell was the best place to lay low. Its 100% protected, meals and entertainment are provided, and it gives me a chance to catch up on my writing. Want to read a haiku?”

   Yoshi reveals the staging area for Deathwatch. They will not be expecting a strike there. It’s on a moon in the Taurian Concordat, specifically the 3rd moon of New Vallis.

   Inside the lockbox is a complete profile for Yoshi Hikaru, complete with ‘talking points” and a complete psychological evaluation and mannerisms of Yoshi Hikaru.

   A single Remington cold-fire laser can be found underneath the sofa.

For reasons untold, McShane leaves Hikaru alive. The unit proceeds to the 3rd moon of New Vallis.

3). New Vallis. While the industry of New Vallis supports the majority of the Taurian Concordat, the 3rd moon of New Vallis is a methane-filled fog-ridden dark moon. The Deathwatch base is, according to Yoshi Hikaru, in the lunchbox crater about 17 clicks Northweast of the only bright spot on the Nadir point of the moon.

   Icarus Spaceport. The lone bright spot on the moon, the orientation of the moon is such that a 2km radius of land has sunlight. The rest of the planet is dark…always. Icarus is a (mostly) automated landing and refill station for ore-mining ships. There is a single repair gantry and a self-service eating kiosk with coin-operated vending machines. A single woman appears to be working the front desk, Matilda. She hands out credit vouchers for one of three “motel” rooms, changes currency for the vending machines, and manages the sole Comstar HPG station on the moon.

   She knows nothing about Deathwatch.

   Lunchbox crater is 17km northwest of Icarus Spaceport.

-   Due to fog, dark, and methane, visibility is reduced to (3) hexes
-   Due to volcanic activity, sound is reduced to (3) hexes
-   Due to EMP, targeting computers and Artemies IV is offline.

(gamemaster notes: I ran a modified version of "double-blind" rules here, writing down hex numbers for movement of enemy units that were not within 3 hexes. Fun...but evil).

Halfway there, you intercept a call. The actual audio cannot be transcribed due to EMP activity, but it appears to be coming from the 2nd Sword of Light; a DCMS unit. 14K has some knowledge of communications and notes that the 2nd Sword of Light always uses laserband tight-beam communications unless they are in some form of negotiation with another unit offworld.

Incoming transmission:  “…good afternoon, or I should probably say goodnight, considering its always dark here on this moon. I thought about naming it Midas, but I suppose that’s a moot point now. Anyway we heard you were coming and, while I’d love to stay and show you what I’ve done to your Gunslinger Cygnus, I’m afraid duty calls us elsewhere. You do understand, of course, but what kind of host would I be if I left you to an empty house? So I called up my Kurita friends and asked them to entertain you in my absence. Be a good sport and die or capitulate easily? Those ‘mechs of yours would look fantastic with a Deathwatch logo on them.”

-   The Red Lancers engaged and, eventually, defeated the representatives of the 2nd Sword of light....and then was able to enter the base!

The base looks like it was hastily abandoned. Overturned chairs and desk drawers thrown on the floor and rifled through as though it’d been burglarized, ice-cold burritos are still in the microwaves; the “finished” light still blinking on and off. The ‘mech bay appears to have held up to 30 ‘mechs at one time but appears to have been cleaned out. The power tools still appear warm, the air compressor still hums. Several explosions looks to have been set off, ruining a good portion of the buildings structure. Water pours through many of the hallways. You see a few rats running about. Cigarettes have burnt themselves out. The place smells of fish and gunpowder.

   You find an office with an empty herpetarium. The heat lamps are still on. Someone was here recently with a lizard...or a snake.

   Another office has empty file folders. Still smoldering ash is coming from a makeshift firepit.

   A few half-burnt files seem to mention something about the Pope in Exile and “the Fox”.

   The mainframe appears to partially melted and blackened. The remains of an explosive can be seen on the partly-melted housing of the mainframe computer. Its fans are not working and, according to 14K, its probably a good (2) minutes away from total system failure. The screen and video camera appear to have been caught in the self-destruct blast. A voice can be coming out of the speakers:

“…say again, Crocodile, what is your status? I’m not reading your video feed. Audio only. What is your status? Are the Crimson Lancers destroyed? Their usefulness is about to an end and Bird Dog is at risk of being discovered. I suggest you extradite him immediately. The playbook is still in effect and we are proceeding to the 2nd phase. Crocodile…Kern? Are you receiving? Get out now. Report to site Delta.  Ajax Indrahar must be kept in the dark until phase 2 is complete. Repeat, no green light to clean Indrahar until Phase 2 is complete. The Fox will contact you on Chebanse 3 days before E-day. Mongoose…out.”

Players are able to find a map with coordinates for for "Bob", their former Elemental Graff gone rogue.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2012, 12:45:30 by Wombat »

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 29 February 2012, 14:18:52 »
Damn, Ur Evil and Good !!!!!

You still have a group after this, They're either drugged or crazy like you...

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2012, 07:31:58 »
...a little of both perhaps?   :D