Author Topic: Why no Bushman?  (Read 2662 times)

1000Foot

• Private
Why no Bushman?
« on: 08 May 2020, 08:36:35 »
As a kid I built a number of Revell's Robotech model kits, my favorite being the Condar (the Bushman design lifted from Dougram). All of the unseen that appeared in the Robotech line are near to my heart, but I'm curious why some of the designs never appeared as battlemechs.

The Bushman must have been part of the same license as the Blockhead, Roundfacer, etc. Anyone know why FASA never used those designs even before the whole legal entanglements began?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Why no Bushman?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2020, 08:53:35 »
were there any not used besides the bushman or nicholiev?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2020, 09:21:37 »
were there any not used besides the bushman or nicholiev?
Mackerel as well.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2020, 10:18:11 »

No idea, but the Bushman looks like it requires an SRM-6 in the head to match the art, which would not fit until Clantech or small cockpits came along later.

The Nicholiev should be workable.  Dual peepers or AC/10s in the right torso (ammo elsewhere), trio of medium or small lasers in each “arm”, and an SRM-6 in each leg.  It’s like a Battlemaster that did the Banshee-s conversion to a 3/5 engine and went through a washing machine.

The Mackarel is obviously an underwater design and would have to wait for torpedos, UMUs, etc. to match its art.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2020, 10:46:41 »
 Moderation when buying licenses for designs probably played a big part.  Considering the 80s era, it still costs money for a beer and pretzels skirmish game.  I don't think the developers at the time were envisioning the game getting as far as it has, nor thinking they needed to get every single unit into the game at the time.

Also, I'd consider either dual SRM loadouts of the Griffin or Wolverine a nice bit of a callback to the Bushman, given the new place the game is at. 

Also, why bring up old specters of licenses past.

1000Foot

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2020, 10:50:20 »
No idea, but the Bushman looks like it requires an SRM-6 in the head to match the art, which would not fit until Clantech or small cockpits came along later.

That's what I was thinking, but with the amount of rework the Wasp and Ostsol / Ostrocs got from the original designs I could see them just moving the SRM6s into side torsos.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2020, 13:12:16 »
I wasn't familiar with the Bushman, but it looks like it could've inspired the Grasshopper.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2020, 13:26:10 »
After checking the image . . . I do not think its too far off the Griffin, the RA weapon looks like some of the old Wolverine guns, and it has bits of TBolt . . . nothing keeps you from using one as a frankenmech or even custom in your own games!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2020, 14:32:49 »

Googling the image for the Bushman it looks like it would two SRM-6 launchers in the head...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2020, 16:15:41 »
Googling the image for the Bushman it looks like it would two SRM-6 launchers in the head...

Alternatively, could've been a missed opportunity to introduce the RL10 decades ahead of when it was.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2020, 17:44:46 »
It's not like there's exactly a fantastic match between the number of missile tubes in the original of the unseen art versus the number on the 'Mech stats to begin with. The Thunderbolt's LRM-15 is a great example. Giving a hypothetical Bushman a SRM-4 or LRM-5 in the head wouldn't be a stretch at all.

With that being said, the most logical answer for "why no Bushman" (Or Mackerel or Nicholiev for that matter) probably comes down to either a) what kits TCI had purchased and b) what kits FASA in turn were happy to licence.

Technically there is a Bushman in a BattleTech product. One appears in a single panel of Spider and the Wolf, courtesy of copied art from DC's Robotech Defenders miniseries.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2020, 17:58:18 »
Interesting what-if.  Before XTRO:Boondoggles, the Liberator was still a virtual unknown.  What if that was supposed to have been the Liberator? 

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2020, 18:35:10 »

The locations are ambiguously defined, so I could see those SRM launchers being mounted in the side torsos, maybe with the ammo in the head to emphasize how close they are.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2020, 18:38:50 »
A few mechs have arm mounted weapons located on the torso.  Here's looking at you Warhawk.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2020, 01:30:46 »
There were several variants that weren't used that appeared in the series as well as some variations that are outside the series that upgraded the ones in the series or were made for civilians. There were also a lot of vehicles that never made it either.

I've got no clue as to what was actually licensed or not so I don't know if the Bushman was or not. I'd have to guess that the reason it didn't appear with the other Unseen is that they weren't sure what to do with it. It's got elements of the Roundfacer (Griffin), Dougram (Shadow Hawk) and Blockhead (Wolverine). As those three already cover each other pretty well what's the Bushman to do? With all the other mechs they had at the time they probably just dropped it.

As for the 6 shot missile launchers in the head, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think any of the unseen matched their original stats exactly.  Like others have said they could have ended up as an SRM-6 in each side torso. Or LRM-5s or one of each.

With the other missing Dougram Mechs I think the Desert Gunner with 6 legs was probably more complicated than they wanted to go . The Mackerel is super specialized. It would work now though. The Nicholiev I'd guess they didn't know what to do with it or how to make one.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2020, 13:56:36 »
The locations are ambiguously defined, so I could see those SRM launchers being mounted in the side torsos, maybe with the ammo in the head to emphasize how close they are.

Like the 3S and 5S models of the Banshee?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2020, 22:26:43 »
The Nicholiev I'd guess they didn't know what to do with it or how to make one.

they knew exactly what to do with it: leave that uggo it out  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2020, 02:35:31 »
they knew exactly what to do with it: leave that uggo it out  ;D

I don't know that I'd call it uggo. There's other mechs that are way ugglier.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2020, 15:34:23 »
compared to the others it doesn't fit. ufo with legs.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2020, 15:46:16 »
compared to the others it doesn't fit. ufo with legs.

???

We have trashcans with legs and Airplanes with legs. A UFO with legs fits in fine. The clear lack of any arms though...All the other biped Mechs can at least claim to have a kind of minimal arm. Can't do that with the Nicholiev

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2020, 15:49:41 »
agree to disagree. it doesn't belong (no one asked for the bad art later, either)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2020, 16:11:00 »
No problem.  :thumbsup:

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2020, 17:34:10 »
Another thing to consider: the TCI Battledroids/Battletech kit line didn't have a Longbow release. It's entirely possible that they didn't have a Bushman kit ti release either.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2020, 02:45:03 »
It's possible. The Ostroc Mk II did have a model though and it was never seen again.

Register