Author Topic: Hibernaculum: (Vacation) Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 24966 times)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Re: Hibernaculum: (Vacation) Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #210 on: 13 March 2024, 14:38:24 »
I do not think that the Clans know that Jennifer Winson might have been the last of the Camerons. Neither I think the Wolves would have given the Coyotes this Blood Heritage / Blood House if they knew. It would have been far to precious.

But if it might prove true ...
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #211 on: 13 March 2024, 14:40:52 »
If it should prove true, it wouldn't matter in the slightest. The Spheroid Clans and the Home Clans don't even acknowledge each other anymore. The only legal standing such a claim would have would have to come from a Trial, and it's not very likely that either side is going to agree to that, not after the Wars of Reaving. The Home Clans will never be able to assert a legal claim on the Star League throne through words or politics; it'll have to come through force. And I think that scenario would ultimately result in both sides losing and this new Star League being torn asunder.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2024, 14:45:44 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #212 on: 13 March 2024, 17:14:10 »
If we ever get a new Star League. Yes we have an IlClan but the current IlClan looks pretty stillborn at the moment. Though that might be the most likely outcome. The last bastion of "pure" clans clash with the "tainted" Clans and in the end nothing will remain except the Houses who shrug and go on with their own business

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #213 on: 16 March 2024, 02:46:06 »
No leader - IS nor Clan - will bow for any heritage. BUT it would be important for a time after victory. For the people it might be a unifying symbol if that new Star League is led by a Cameron. To be honest, i think that name lost its magic for most people. It might be better to have a Kerensky sit on the throne. But then again there was this Wolf khan with that name and a strange merc lady - so another Kerensky might be suspicious, too.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #214 on: 19 March 2024, 10:38:43 »
I expect a lot of tensions in the new Star League. Among the IS Clans many will be adverseries of the new ilClan, looking for opportunities to weaken them.

A Bloodnamed Warrior with legacies of the Camerons might be a good point of interest for these Clanners.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Emperor Ediger

• Recruit
« Reply #215 on: 01 April 2024, 09:49:45 »
New lore drop in the Clan Spaniel sourcebook. The Adder Watch first discovered Clan Burrock's Dark Caste partnership via hidden messages embedded in Clan Spaniel episodes.
Personal Units: Pleiadan Dragons (Mercenary), The Blessed Blade (Word of Blake), Jormungandr Galaxy (Rasalhague Dominion)

Favorite Factions: Clan Star Adder, Rasalhague Dominion, Federated Suns, Marian Hegemony, Rim Worlds Republic

"Gamers don't look up" - the Highlander about to land on my head

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #216 on: 01 April 2024, 11:48:26 »
New lore drop in the Clan Spaniel sourcebook. The Adder Watch first discovered Clan Burrock's Dark Caste partnership via hidden messages embedded in Clan Spaniel episodes.

Finally, today, on this special day, we are told the true story behind ...  :grin:

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #217 on: 02 April 2024, 07:41:57 »
Finally, today, on this special day, we are told the true story behind ...  :grin:

???

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #218 on: 02 April 2024, 10:40:31 »
First of April ...

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #219 on: 02 April 2024, 21:37:05 »
Admittedly, the Clan Spaniel Sourcebook is pretty freaking awesome.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #220 on: 03 April 2024, 04:30:27 »
First of April ...

But nonetheless 100% canon.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #221 on: 03 April 2024, 07:41:03 »
The Star Adders were the inspiration for the whole Clan Spaniel sourcebook.  For a Brush Wars product (Burrock Absorption), I was researching the details of why the Adders were Absorbing the Burrocks.  But the existing source material just said "The Adders discovered that the Burrocks were collaborating with the Dark Caste."  There was no information on what the Burrocks were doing, specifically, to support the Dark Caste, and no details on how the Adders discovered it.

Checking on the Adder Watch, the sources just said "They have weak tradecraft, and mostly just go to the site of a planned Trial to check the local holovid broadcasts for weather reports."

So I'm thinking...how in the world did the Adders manage to crack the case just doing that?  Wait, what if the clues were in the holovid broadcasts?  What shows do we know the Clans make?

And then it all came together.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #222 on: 03 April 2024, 10:26:12 »
The Star Adders were the inspiration for the whole Clan Spaniel sourcebook.  For a Brush Wars product (Burrock Absorption), I was researching the details of why the Adders were Absorbing the Burrocks.  But the existing source material just said "The Adders discovered that the Burrocks were collaborating with the Dark Caste."  There was no information on what the Burrocks were doing, specifically, to support the Dark Caste, and no details on how the Adders discovered it.

Checking on the Adder Watch, the sources just said "They have weak tradecraft, and mostly just go to the site of a planned Trial to check the local holovid broadcasts for weather reports."

So I'm thinking...how in the world did the Adders manage to crack the case just doing that?  Wait, what if the clues were in the holovid broadcasts?  What shows do we know the Clans make?

Thanks for a great book, Eric! The whole thing came together really nicely! I even appreciated Clan Rock Swine!
The scenarios at the back too were an extra nice touch and the personalities were absolutely inspired.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #223 on: 03 April 2024, 10:38:02 »

Sir, you do have a fine sense of humor  azn

Well, I have had another idea how the Star Adder Watch do their work, but this makes me laugh loudly.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #224 on: 04 April 2024, 07:35:26 »
So is this a real book / article, quineg ?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #225 on: 04 April 2024, 07:36:06 »
So is this a real book / article, quineg ?

Aff.  50 pages.  Now in PDF on the store, coming to POD soonish.  Canon.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #226 on: 04 April 2024, 07:44:29 »
o ok, lol, I thought it was just an April Fools "talk" not actually a togue in cheek real book too

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #227 on: 04 April 2024, 07:55:30 »
o ok, lol, I thought it was just an April Fools "talk" not actually a togue in cheek real book too

It's not even tongue in cheek.  There many, many humorous elements, but at the core it tells the story of the merchant caste's efforts to manipulate the warrior caste over the course of nearly a century, with far greater success than the scientist caste's Society.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #228 on: 04 April 2024, 08:14:42 »
Interesting, will have to read  :cool:

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #229 on: 18 April 2024, 10:59:07 »
A What if:

What if the Home clans have had the same breakdown of their HPG network as the Inner sphere has had? Would there have been the same problems and escalating conflicts?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #230 on: 18 April 2024, 11:18:00 »
What if the Home clans have had the same breakdown of their HPG network as the Inner sphere has had? Would there have been the same problems and escalating conflicts?

This isn't even a what-if scenario: they kinda did experience this during the Wars of Reaving thanks to the Society, and it definitely contributed to the chaos.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #231 on: 18 April 2024, 11:32:12 »
WoR is past, the What If is for the HPG Blackout of 3132.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #232 on: 18 April 2024, 12:29:18 »

We have absolutely no idea what the state of the Clan Homeworlds are in 3132, so the only way to provide an educated guess is to examine the instance where they did experience an HPG blackout, and that was during the WoR. The Blackout didn't occur in a vacuum; there were a lot of political factors that came together to make the post-Blackout period unfold as it did. The Home Clans likely would've reacted the same way they did to their WoR-era HPG issues: pulling into protective mode, with not much else changing because they're already living in extreme isolation as it is. On the other hand, they might also just eat each other alive, as every other Clan has a legitimate beef with the Adders, and they might just take the opportunity to knock down their "protectors" a peg or two while they can't coordinate.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2024, 12:40:23 by tassa_kay »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #233 on: 19 April 2024, 03:00:08 »
And that's assuming the Adders and the other Clans are still functional fifty years after the WoR; we simply don't know what's gone on in that timeframe.  Like Tassa says, the surviving Clans may have simply fallen at each other tooth and nail, and there may be nothing left to worry about the 3132 blackout.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #234 on: 19 April 2024, 20:59:07 »

Personally I think whatever hit the IS HPG could not affect the Clan HPG.  One item to note was that some of the IS HPGs were hit by the Societies blackout but not enough to cripple the invading Clans.  Plus (for now) the Clans have isolated themselves completely including access to HPG or else there would have been hints from Occupation Clans.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #235 on: 20 April 2024, 05:51:24 »
Also to consider, the Scorpion Empire which is closer to the Clan homeworlds still has functioning HPG's. If we assume that Clarion Call never reeached that far the Clan Homeworlds should be safe in that regard. If the HPG's malfunction? Then I would wager the homeworlds fall back into chaos as the Clan society is even more dependend on timely HPG orders then the Inner Sphere (unless they changed their way of life after the WoR)

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: 20 April 2024, 06:36:32 »
The Clan enclave system of the homeworlds meant that almost no worlds were truly self-sufficient. Some were geared toward manufacturing, others were geared toward generating food. Most Clans were surviving on a month-to-month basis in terms of figuring our their needs and moving resources to each of their respective enclaves. The WoR book covers this reality very well. In turn in that era we see, beyond what the Clan(s) leadership are doing, a lot of enclaves just starved and died with the Clan leadership having no idea what became of them until someone finally arrived in a jumpship to have a look. In many other cases local leaders and warriors took matters into their own hands, resulting in a lot of little crisis and brush fire conflicts as the local leaders, such as the highest-ranking warrior on-world, just started making independent decisions to try to help their enclave(s) survive.

If the physical infrastructure of the enclave system is unchanged, that would be the background reality of any mass HPG disruption. Regardless of who is running the show and what civilization even looks like now in the Clan Homeworlds, that would be the geographic reality. Unless they ripped everything up and redid the layout of all the infrastructure. Rather than just building on top of what's already there and changing the flags.

I think that's probably true whether it's a linear progression of the Homeworld Clans we know of. Or whether that civilization has completely transformed into some new human civilization that doesn't resemble the Clans at all.

Even if the Homeworld Clans (or whatever society followed them) learned their lesson and did a better job of stockpiling supplies (getting away from the month-to-month living). Any mass HPG disruption could still be disruptive for just so long that their stockpiles could have been depleted, and they eventually arrive at the same place in terms of problems. With things only stabilizing once courier jumpships and trade/transport had been reconnected in an effective way.

But as others have pointed out. We just don't know the reality of the Homeworlds. The Scorpion Empire's HPG situation may be a strong clue that they were not impacted. But it wouldn't be that difficult for the writers to justify a reality where some hidden HPG link between one of the Inner Sphere Clans and one of the Homeworlds, was kept intact all this time in secret and a seemingly unlikely scenario played out where the Scorpions got through it ok, but the Blackout got to the Clan Homeworlds via somebody's secret telephone.

All this will be up to the writers, and with such an information void to work with (spanning so much In-Universe Time), they can do a lot of things that would seem unlikely/improbable/shocking to us.

Personally, I don't think they'd bring the blackout to the homeworlds. But for a reason that may surprise you. I think Battletech fans are kinda tired of the whole blackout dynamic. That was something implemented... a while back now, with the full effects of it having kinda played out. It feels like it has run its course as a story arc in the universe.

I think it's actually very telling that the Scorpions seem to be ok. It's like the writers' mindset on this might be not to perpetuate this tired blackout thing any further if they don't have to. It's possible that it's begun to really just feel like a relic of the Dark Age era, which they have been eager to move forward and away from into a new era. Only holding onto the pieces of the Dark Age that they aren't able to drop due to story continuity.

That is just, let's call it intuition, from a long-time player who understands that writers like to drop past story baggage, if they feel like the fans aren't that into it anymore. We may have gotten to that point with the blackout stuff. If we aren't there now, I feel like we're headed there.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2024, 06:52:05 by Alan Grant »

Register