Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 52307 times)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #30 on: 10 August 2021, 08:19:24 »
HotW said small craft IIRC, so guess it is time to check.  Otherwise we are talking something like Vampyres I guess.

The only mention I see of Jian in HotW just says "Ready the Jian-class cutters for their run."  Nothing about dropship versus small craft. The words "small craft" don't appear at all.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 10 August 2021, 10:00:53 »
Those who dislike the idea of ilClan Wolf are bound to grasp at straws and crow that the victory will not last. But what a massive waste of plot that would be. What a contradiction to what has been foreshadowed that would be.  They can gnash and wail all they want, I am unconvinced that the plot does not lead to the establishment of a third league under Clan Wolf.

It's not a waste of plot, it's consistency, every faction that has ever held Terra has fallen, Terra is a Faction killer in BattleTech it always has been, that's it's point, the tragedy of any faction that holds it, and it's always been at the hands of an "ally", Terran Alliance to Terran Hegemony, Terran Hegemony to Amaris Empire, then SLDF to Comstar (at least as an idea), Comstar to Wob, Wob to Republic (since Stone either was/thinks he was/likes messing with Alric a WoB plant) and then Republic to Wolves, that's also what's been foreshadowed, Wolves will die and the third league as well in time, it could be considered clasping at straws to think that they will survive, no one can be king of the hill for ever, they slip up and fall, maybe with a little help from those looking up at the hill and wondering how nice it must be up there and how much they'd like to be the one at the top, it's nature, will the third starleague turn around and absorb the wolves and ilKarn? will it be someone else, and who will kill off the third league? homeworld clans? WoBbies part II, pantsless boogaloo?.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #32 on: 10 August 2021, 10:22:21 »
The only mention I see of Jian in HotW just says "Ready the Jian-class cutters for their run."  Nothing about dropship versus small craft. The words "small craft" don't appear at all.
P38. Look for "cutters".
"The cutters were stripped down light DropShips that used magnetic grapples to attach to the hull of the target vessel."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 10 August 2021, 10:42:08 »
P38. Look for "cutters".
"The cutters were stripped down light DropShips that used magnetic grapples to attach to the hull of the target vessel."

So HotW not only doesn't call them small craft, but calls them DropShips as well.  Seems everything is in agreement then?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 11 August 2021, 09:23:42 »
The Sourcebook spells the "cutters" are actually Troop Carrying Commando Dropships.

It would been cool if were a brand new type of ship, but it guess it's not to happen. Additionally, the Piledrivers are essentially over armored, over engines, unarmed, ram dropships.  Which aren't terribly exciting to me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 11 August 2021, 10:14:16 »
If they were dropships, then it doesn't make sense to dedicate one whole jumpship collar for something that small and expendable.

Makes more sense for them to be small craft.

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 11 August 2021, 14:40:40 »
The Sourcebook spells the "cutters" are actually Troop Carrying Commando Dropships.

It would been cool if were a brand new type of ship, but it guess it's not to happen. Additionally, the Piledrivers are essentially over armored, over engines, unarmed, ram dropships.  Which aren't terribly exciting to me.

Every mech can be described as essentially a Mackie.

An ion sparrow is essentially a Mackie but smaller.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 11 August 2021, 15:32:48 »
If they were dropships, then it doesn't make sense to dedicate one whole jumpship collar for something that small and expendable.

Small craft might not be able to do the job.  The smaller the ship, the fewer troops it can carry.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #38 on: 11 August 2021, 15:35:02 »

One of many reasons the naval players have been so grumpy about the whole thing.

Stormwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 16 August 2021, 14:40:52 »
I'm back from reddit, nice to see that we finally made it to Terra.

I'm also delighted to find out that they named a mech after me.  :P

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #40 on: 18 August 2021, 14:52:42 »
As a Wolf warrior, your ride has been trashed fighting the Republic and then in the opening hours of the ilClan Trial against the Falcons.

So your shiny Omni has given up the ghost and now you are pulling from the salvage or back ups the merchants & techs packed along for just this reason.  What RAF salvage, RecGuide non-Omni offering, or Dark Age Wolf secondline machine (Blood Reaper, Tundra Wolf, etc) would you prefer to pull from storage?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 18 August 2021, 16:15:54 »
I'm also delighted to find out that they named a mech after me.  :P

Careful, things haven't gone well for the in-universe person who claimed it was named after them.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 18 August 2021, 18:09:58 »
What RAF salvage, RecGuide non-Omni offering, or Dark Age Wolf secondline machine (Blood Reaper, Tundra Wolf, etc) would you prefer to pull from storage?

Scanning the MUL, I see the Marauder IIC 6 is the only MAD IIC that the Wolves have in stock. It would be fun to surprise the Falcons with their own design.

If I can't get an assault 'Mech, I would also accept a Griffin C.

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 18 August 2021, 21:29:01 »
Since I would clearly have been an Exile returning to the fold I would ask the techs to double check that Sojourner over there.  It can probably be put back together, since that is kind of its point.

But since you asked for non-Omni I would probably be drawn to a munchtastic Hellstar, with a secondary choice of the Republic built Archer 7C from the rec-guide.
Secondary points if someone turns it into a cameo of sorts and puts a Kell Bloodnamed Exile warrior in a clantech Archer.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

Stormwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 21 August 2021, 08:25:06 »
As a Wolf warrior, your ride has been trashed fighting the Republic and then in the opening hours of the ilClan Trial against the Falcons.

So your shiny Omni has given up the ghost and now you are pulling from the salvage or back ups the merchants & techs packed along for just this reason.  What RAF salvage, RecGuide non-Omni offering, or Dark Age Wolf secondline machine (Blood Reaper, Tundra Wolf, etc) would you prefer to pull from storage?

A Blood Reaper would do fine.

Careful, things haven't gone well for the in-universe person who claimed it was named after them.

Nah man, the devs totally had me in mind and not that Stackpole fellow.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 21 August 2021, 08:35:46 »

Given I would have been a former FWL freeborn (and there is no Shadow Hawk option) i'll take a Phoenix Hawk C 2

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #46 on: 03 September 2021, 06:35:38 »

I would say either Mad Cat II (what can i say, I really like Timber Wolf) or Warhammer IIC (gotta love revamps of classics).
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #47 on: 03 September 2021, 07:23:23 »

The Dominator is pretty well designed for what I would want, but I will assume those newer designs are out of stock. In that case I would pull a Lobo 3. It has a fair amount of speed, a headcapper to potentially end any fight, and plenty of short-ranged weapons to handle most any opponent.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 05 September 2021, 18:00:14 »
I'm gonna go with the Blood Reaper. Warhammer iIC with jump jets.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #49 on: 06 September 2021, 00:13:36 »

Hellstar.  Accept no substitute.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #50 on: 06 September 2021, 13:09:52 »
Hellstar.  Accept no substitute.
That's a good call. I wonder how many they'd have since it was a Horses/Exiles product. I'd like to think it would be a prized ride among the Exiles, despite being a 2nd liner
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #51 on: 06 September 2021, 22:48:25 »
I would imagine their highly prized given the limited Mech production capacities they had prior to capturing Wolves old OZ-1 and W-8 manufacturing facilities on Tamar.

Given it's Tamar, they may not be owning it for long.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #52 on: 23 September 2021, 11:37:40 »
Just noticed one of Herb's old answers about the Warden Wolves got canonized, which will also open a interesting point of contention between the Wolves and reborn Jaguars.

Look at the notable Kingfisher pilot- Eric Weaver.  Born a Warden Wolf, he traces his ancestry back to a bloodnamed warrior who piloted the same Kingfisher when Phelan won the 6th Dragoons as isorla which became the 6th Wolf Dragoons after Operation Bulldog.  Which means at some point the Warden Wolves established, at least, that Bloodname in their Clan and it has managed to establish itself.  Eric was a survivor of Arc Royal who decided to accept Alaric's call to return (with his Kingfisher) rather than remain with the Wardens- he won his place as a warrior again and assigned to the 5th Battle Cluster.  Prior to the invasion of Terra, he won (with his Kingfisher) a Trial of Propagation for the Bloodname (among the Crusader Wolves?  Do they have Weavers?  did another Weaver join the Crusaders?) defeating 4 opponents (in a row? sounds like separate battles).  The first 3 were not remarkable, but the final battle took on a Warwolf that was defeated after it's engine was destroyed.

If he survived Terra, there is IMO a good chance he advanced in the ranks during that battle.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ShadowSwordmaster

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 28 September 2021, 14:00:23 »

I would pick the Blood Reaper for sure. I do wonder if many Clan Warriors picked up the Dolaire.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #54 on: 28 September 2021, 14:05:41 »
The Blood Reaper is a borderline front/second line machine.  It may not have a fancy Wolf name, but its a Wolf machine for sure.  It kicks butt!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #55 on: 28 September 2021, 14:53:58 »
I would pick the Blood Reaper for sure. I do wonder if many Clan Warriors picked up the Dolaire.

The Doloire is a Omni, and any Omni is preferred over a non-Omni . . . besides, you can mount the Blood Reaper's load on the Doloire and be more accurate with more armor and weapons- just not as fast.
Colt Ward

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #56 on: 28 September 2021, 15:45:55 »
If I had to take a Republic mech I would want a Doloire but the moment a Timber Wolf or Dire Wolf becomes available I'm moving back over.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 09 January 2022, 04:36:45 »
Do we have any information on the former Wolf in Exile Clusters that make up Omega Galaxy?

I can see from IlClan that the 2nd Wolf Legion is one of the five but can't see any information on the others.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #58 on: 09 January 2022, 12:43:31 »
Basically look at the RecGuides to see the Warden Wolf entries- like the Sojourner or Ice Ferret.

Shattered Fortress tells you what Wolf clusters existed at the time they disappeared, it would be those 5 making up that galaxy.
Colt Ward

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 09 January 2022, 22:18:22 »
I'm gonna go with the Blood Reaper. Warhammer iIC with jump jets.
I like it   >:D
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register