Author Topic: The Little Things Give You Away (Battletech AU)  (Read 12508 times)

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
The Little Things Give You Away (Battletech AU)
« on: 15 April 2020, 11:41:29 »
AN: This is crossposted with SB, SV and AH

Chapter 1

MIIO Directors Office, Avalon City, New Avalon, Avalon Combat Region, Crucis March, Federate Suns,  4th August 3046

Justin Allard sat at a honey-coloured hardwood desk working through the paperwork as the light faded outside and the corridors of MIIO were taken over by the night shift he was however stuck doing last-minute paperwork.

Sighing he rubbed his eyes and looked at the old desk was the same one all directors of MIIO had sat at in the same office each occupant had left their marks he looked over to a shelf and saw his fathers own contribution an ornate clock that had supposedly come from Terra when the members of House Allard had left that world. It now sat in this office with a copy of The Prince next to it both a none too subtle reminder to him when he took over.

There was a knock at his door, frowning since he wasn’t expecting any visitors.

He called out, “Enter.”

In walked a man who was of medium build with short greying brown hair and hazel eyes his Special Aide Luca Cummings who right now looked like he was about to throw up his face drawn and pale. Justin frowned worried as he looked the usually formal man over and saw he had a paper file in his right hand which he noticed was in a death grip.

“Luca,” he asked, “what’s the matter?”

The man seemed to take hold of himself mentally, “Sir, we just got a report from one of the Specials we inserted into the confederacy,” Luca paused as Justin brought the operation to mind.

He nodded bring the information to the forefront of his mind after the chaos caused by Romano purges and aftermath of the failed war of 3039. This lead to the creation of the Specials who were deep-cover agents that had been both altered heavily and selected for their skill and loyalty, spread throughout the confederacy by MIIO and DMI only he and a select few knew about their real identities.

“Who called in Luca?” He asked.

“St Helen’s Sir using the emergency contact method,” Luca replied in a steady voice.

Justin sat a little straighter his eyes bored into Luca like Yen-Lo-Wan boring out the cockpit of another mech. St Helen’s was a highly placed agent in the Mask, one he had set up himself who had risen through the ranks rapidly and distinguished himself as one of Romano’s stooges. If only the bitch knew he had put a spy on her, she was as blind as her farther.

“What have they reported,” he asked intently.

Luca worked his jaw trying to find the words then just handed the folder to him taking it he read the first line, and his eyes widened, and he felt a surge of shock and surprise pass through him. He carefully read through the document a sense of horror and anger coursing through him and when he got to the pictures at the back he had to with a tremendous mental effort stop himself from tearing up the photo as he saw the horrors that had been visited on the person in question.

He opened and closed his mouth and let the anger purge his shock, and in a voice of steel, he asked, “How long ago?”

“By mine and the cleared analysts sir,” Luca replied quietly, “eight to nine months.”

Justin nodded slowly keeping a firm control on his emotions, “Luca,” he ordered, “I want you to get in contact with the Head of CID and COD as well as the heads of MI1, MI4 and MI6 tell them we have a Broken Mask situation we will be meeting in alpha in the next hour and pass to Rabid Fox team Gamma 2 and the LOKI team six-two who are training to improve interdepartmental coordination in the Southern Hemisphere to make ready for immediate operations.”

Luca nodded making a note on a pad he pulled from his pocket then Justin added, “I also want to have a message sent to Simon Johnson tell him we have a Broken Mask situation and to begin his sweep effective immediately.”

Taking a deep breath and then he added, “tell Hanse and Mel we have a potential Potemkin as well, and we are acting on it.”

Luca nodded, “if that will be all, sir?”

Justin nodded slowly and as Luca left he turned and looked out at the darkening sky his mind racing and praying that the person in the photographs would still be alive when they got to her and if she and her family would ever forgive him for his screw up.

Also if he would ever forgive himself turning around and pressing his com, he dialled a familiar code.

“Yes,” came the tired voice of Adran Sortek.

“Adran,” said Justin in a controlled voice, “sorry to call this late, but I need your help on a small family matter that just blew up and shattered all over me.”

“Oh, what’s gone wrong,” he said calmly recognising the word choice as the code it was.

“One of the Corgis broke Candace’s favourite mask,” he said, “an old ceremonial one I need help glueing it back together.”

There was silence for several seconds, and the old soldier replied, “I will be right over you still in the office?”

“Yes,”

“See you soon,” he said and hung up.

Training Base Leek, New Hebrides, New Avalon, Avalon Combat Region, Crucis March, Federate Suns, 5th August 3046

The room was packed with a mix of DMI, LIC and MIIO uniforms most were sat down talking in hushed tones some had gathered around the pot of coffee in the back for this 0300 briefing which had suddenly been sprung on them out of nowhere.

Captain Hayden of Rabid Fox Team Gamma 2 sat in the nondescripts briefing room of Training Base Leek he was a short bald man who always wore a serene expression, people who
Didn’t know would think he was a priest rather than a hyper lethal killer.

The woman who sat next to him lazed back in her chair her everyday LIC uniform; most people would mistake her relaxed posture for arrogance until they got a look at Hauptmann Morgan’s eyes that were constantly scanning the room which he knew from the last month of training meant she was checking her escape routes and trying to figure out the most efficient way to kill as many people as possible.

“What do you think this is about Hay?” She drawled out, “ Outside of an op, surprise training or combat we rarely get roused out this early.”

“I have no idea Morgan,” he said, “but considering who I’ve seen in the room so far it has me thinking that this is a national emergency.”

“Oh,” she said, “who?”

“Very funny,” he said with a sigh, “you know who.”

“That I do Hay infact….”

She stopped as the door to the room opened, and n everyone in the room stood to attention as Justin Allard. Then Ardan Sortek walked into the room followed by the head of various MIIO and DMI departments as well as the LIC  liaison officer.

“As you were,” he said, and everyone took their seats.

“He looks tired,” Morgan murmured, “and he seems stressed as well.”

Hayden nodded at morgans words seeing the same thing in the Director.

The Director of MIIO looked as if he had been through hell in the last hour as he sorted through his files as everyone settled down to people not trained as well trained would not have noticed it however both he and Morgan were highly experienced in this business. They could read people, and they saw the subtle signs of only barely on the spymaster for the Federated Suns.

What neither of them thought needed saying was the lava-like anger coming off the Prince's Champion and old friend. He had a reputation of an honourable, and good man bu now seemed as if he was quite ready to slaughter anyone and anything just to vent his anger if he wasn’t keeping it under control right now he knew he would be getting ready for a fight.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” he said, “what I am about to tell you is classified Sword Two any word of the leaves this briefing room the consequences for yourselves and the nascent Federated Commonwealth will be dire if not fatal.”

Everyone in the room even Morgan sat straighter their eyes locked on Justin Allard, Hayden looked thoughtful at the Director waiting for him to continue.

A holoprojector flashed to life showing a face anyone who had not been living under a rock for the last decade would recognise, “this is Katherine Steiner-Davion,” he said simply, “or at least we thought she was up until a few hours ago.”

You could have dropped a pin in the room and out of the corner of his eye  saw the now serious Morgan’s eyes narrow, and he heard her murmured, “Mein Gott.”

“That’s right ladies and Gentlemen we are dealing with a confirmed broken mask using hair samples taken when she was a baby. We have confirmed the Katherine Steiner-Davion currently on New Avalon right now is a doppelgänger,” Justin said into the stunned silence of the briefing room another picture came up on the holoprojector. He felt a sea of rage rise through the occupants of the briefing-room he detached himself and examined the image before him or a woman who was the same age as his daughter.

Her head was shaved, and her face was a mess covered in a mess of cruel surgical scars, one eye looked like a broken egg that showed how badly damaged it was from what he could tell the other looked dead and haunted. The camera zoomed out, and he found it harder to suppress his boiling rage, and he heard a sharp intake of breath from Morgan. Her arm left arm, and right leg was missing. She looked like a caricature of the health woman from before here body was skinny and laced with scar tissue he looked at scrolling text. He clenched and unclenched his fists as he read the litany of what had been done to her by those bastards and he heard Morgan’s quite cursing getting even more vicious.

“This,” Justin said calmly as a few voices started to cry out in rage, “is the real Katherine Steiner-Davion who is being held at a Mask Blacksite the man who took it over from its last CO is our man on the inside it’s where they keep people who Cappies never want to see the light of day.”

He paused his eyes surveyed the room, and then the Prince Champion spoke up, “and we are going to liberate her and burn that place to the ground.”

There was a deep growl of satisfaction that went through the people in the room and Hayden raised his and Justin nodded to him, and he asked in a surprisingly calm voice, “sir how long do we believe they had her?”

“Since just after she entered NAIS in 3046,” he said, “We estimate that she was taken between nine and six months ago, but at this point, we can’t be sure.”

The holo changed again showing a world brown, and blue with splotches of green and Justin said: “To the Cappellen Blacksite on Rollis we didn’t pick it up due to it being hidden in routine traffic to the system and codes using shipping manifest now that our agent pointed us to it we estimate the black site was set up before the start of the 4th succession war by Romano Liao as her private hell and only recently inducted into the mask fold.”

“You ladies and gentlemen will be hitting the camp which is hidden on Spruce so far intelligence provided suggest the guards are two companies of Death Commandos,” he said as the display zoomed in, “your goal is to extract the Princess and our agent on the inside.”

“I don’t need to say this, but your priorities are getting Katherine Steiner-Davion out of Cappellen captivity, and back into the Commonwealth this has priority,” Justin said to the now quiet room.

“While you all are working on that,” said the Adran, “I will be hitting the worlds of Mitchell, Yuris and Jacson with a task force built around the Heavy Guards. The Cappellan won’t know what hit them as to your deployment you will be boarding the Dagger and….”

Two hours later the dropship Dagger lifted off from New Avalon heading to meet with the Jumpship and another one the Excalibur carrying the Prince's Champion set to meet with his task force while Justin Allard met with his lord and friend to tell him a fake had replaced his daughter.

Kyryst

• Sergeant
Re: The Little Things Give You Away (Battletech AU)
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2020, 13:08:53 »
This Makes so much ******* SENSE! I want to see more.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2020, 13:12:43 »
Interesting
another double..
when Hanse finds out there will be hell to pay
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2020, 14:26:14 »
Oh Sh....

Hanse and Melissa will be angry to say the least.
I wouldnt be surprised if Romano (because only she could authorize such an action) wakes up surrounded by the Steiner-Davion family, the Allards and Allard-Liaos. the Kell family and they are NOT happy.
And if this goes public, including what happened to Hanse a few years ago, Oh Boy, thats the end of the CC.
And both the DC and the FWL will make sure that absolutely nobody of them was involved in this and even if one person was involved, then this person will be put on the fastest jumpship to New Avalon with a handwritten apology, maybe even a Yakuza apology.

On the other hand, at the end of "The Sword and the Dagger" Hanse was assured by the doctor that the technology to create imposters would be put under lock and key. It seems that this is either not the case or the CC had help - Comstar, WOB, the Master?

And even if Tsen Shang was not involved (what I doubt as he is Boss of the Maskirovka) the only nice thing he will be given is a gun loaded with one bullet and a note "You know what to do. Justin"

And for Justin: He will have a lot to do to clean up this mess and this intelligence failure.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2020, 14:52:17 »
One. Ping. Only.

Silly question. Why KSD? and for that matter, Why at all? I wait with bated breath to find out *whips* Start Typing, B!
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2020, 15:24:53 »
And Hanse picks up where he left off in the 4th War...bye bye Capellan Confederation. Hello expanded St. Ives?
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2020, 15:35:11 »
And Hanse picks up where he left off in the 4th War...bye bye Capellan Confederation. Hello expanded St. Ives?
One can only hope
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2020, 16:29:04 »
This Makes so much ******* SENSE! I want to see more.
100% agreed.  This will be interesting...  :thumbsup:

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2020, 19:09:44 »
Interesting.
What's happened to the doppleganger. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2020, 20:12:12 »
Interesting.
What's happened to the doppleganger. :thumbsup:
Probably what happened to the other, allowed to live out the rest of their life somewhere safe
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2020, 20:14:11 »
No matter what the real Katherine is completely broken at this point and it'll be years putting the pieces together again.  The big question here is going to be Hanse's reaction, and I have a feeling that he's going to decide that the Confederation will simply have to go.  That Candace can work on putting the rubble back together once he's done ensuring Romano and her underlings will trouble his family no more.  Even if it means adding some more worlds to the list of planets rendered uninhabitable.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2020, 02:17:00 »
No matter what the real Katherine is completely broken at this point and it'll be years putting the pieces together again.  The big question here is going to be Hanse's reaction, and I have a feeling that he's going to decide that the Confederation will simply have to go.  That Candace can work on putting the rubble back together once he's done ensuring Romano and her underlings will trouble his family no more.  Even if it means adding some more worlds to the list of planets rendered uninhabitable.

If I remember the scene of Candace meeting Sun-Tsu in Dark Destiny correctly, Candance already has a plan in place at this point to remove Romano if it becomes necessary. Hanse need only let her know that it is necessary now.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2020, 16:58:01 »
Ping.

Wow, this is brutal. Quite interested how she'll be rehabilitated upon successful extraction...  :'(

Daddy H ... will be exploding spectacularily.  >:D

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2020, 17:34:14 »
If the fake Kath is programmed similiar to the Fake Hanse, she will be loyal to the Suns/Commonwealth, just with a leaning toward Liao.

After rehabbing the fake Kath, I would keep her around to be the face for the real Kath so that what has happened can be kept secrete till she can face the public again.

And part of the best rehab will be the destruction of her tormentors.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2020, 22:45:33 »
Ping
Looking good
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2020, 14:01:07 »
ooohhh
good stuff
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2020, 10:03:44 »
Chapter 2 Part 1

Castle Avalon, Avalon City, New Avalon, Avalon Combat Region, Crucis March, Federate Suns, Federated Commonwealth, 4th August 3046

The Kinder drawing-room was silent; it has been used as a working office by the First Princes and before them Presidents of the Federated Suns. Its design was based on a classic Victorian drawing room with many of the furnishings coming from New Avalon or Terra itself. The walls were panelled with teakwood directly from Humanity's homeworld.

Hanse had many fond memories of this room talking and drinking with Ardan, speaking on high minded matters of state with Quntius and after him his son and spending quiet times with Melissa to name a few. But there were many sad ones to go with them as well; he had retreated here after his brother’s funeral and when he had arrived back here from Halstead Station when he had grieved for Dana and the other dead.

Now though the room was quiet as Hanse sat across from Justin trying to process what he had told  Justin had pulled no punches with his failures and what had happened he had told Hanse what he had needed to hear and hand him the folder. Hanse had then slowly read through the file horror, rage and grief burned through him as he took in the detail.

Now just sat there seeing the burning shame and guilt on the other man’s face but that seemed small and insignificant. As he looked back down at the picture of his little girl all broken and beaten his vision grew cloudy and his hands started to shake and the First Prince of the Federated Suns one of the most powerful men in the Inner Sphere shed stoic tears for his daughter.

He after a few minutes looked up at the man who ran his premier Intelligence his head bowed waiting he stared at the man he had come to trust, and logic and emotion fought inside him.

“Justin,” He said in an icy voice, “I should sack you for this failure however I will defer until my daughter is back.”

“Yes your majesty,” said Justin, meeting Hanse’s eyes.

He nodded at the man and said, “Other than what you have already put together with Ardan with the Heavy Guards, 5th Syrtis Fusilier and the 4th Donegal Guards converging Sirdar. I will send over the Black box to Adran that the 15th Deneb Light Cavalry and the Federated Sun Armoured Cavalry are going to raid behind enemy lines to support them.”

He looked at Justin again, “I will also cut orders for the Foxes Den to order Hasen’s Roughriders to raid Rollis to give you some more cover and give on hand reinforcements for the retrieval or a distraction.”

Justin nodded hesitantly asked, “What about the double my lord?”

Hanse smothered a brief flash of rage and then said, “Watch her for now when we have my daughter back we will decide however until Kat is recovered she will be her public face.”

“Yes your majesty,” Justin said bowing, “Anything else.”

“No Justin you may go,” he said looking at the man.

Hanse watched as Justin quickly left the room he leaned back in the chair and looked over to the small figurine on the desk wondering what Dana would make of all this. He stood up, grabbed a whisky from the cabinet and downed it letting the liquid fire burn down his throat he sat heavily back down placing the bottle and glass on the desk.

He poured himself another drink and placed his head in his hands and wondered how he was going to tell Mel and if he should even tell Victor and he couldn’t even tell his other children they were too young to understand and it would only hurt them.

Tanking his head from his hands he reached for the drink and his hand lightly brushed the picture of his broken daughter and began to sob uncontrollably his heartbroken at the sight of his daughter broken and battered.

He was no longer one of the most powerful leaders in the Inner Sphere; he was just a father crying for his poor daughter and a husband who would have to deliver the soul-shattering news to his wife.

Fort Cambell, Rockwell, Sirdar, Sirdar PDZ, Capellan March, Federated Suns, Federated Commonwealth, 12th September 3046

Fort Cambell jutted out of Mt Zion main military base on the world of Sirdar. It was colloquially known as the Rock since it was carved out of the mountainside during the early days of the First Succession War. It currently housed the Sirdar CMM and the elements of Task Force Sortek in and around the base in prefabs run up by the CMM and local companies’ assistance.

Sortek stood in the briefing amphitheatre carved out of the granite of the mountain that had been thoroughly swept by a DMI and MIIO team, he looked out of the Ferro-glass window as the rain came down from the grey sky and rolled down the mountain. It seemed to reflect his mood for the last few weeks since he got the news and planned out the operation in question while the units arrived. He turned and looked at the officers gathered in the rows, each sat with their subordinates, he looked eye’s with Sep and hid a small smile as he looked at his wife. She was a highly skilled commander and mech warrior who had led the Heavy Guards well, Hanse had given the green light to brief the CO’s of the units and their aides though he was worried how Sep would take it since she was close to Kat and Mel.

Next down the line was Marshal Nathaniel Hasek who had only recently taken over after the previous commander had contracted stomach cancer and been forced to retire. He was the young man on the totem and was junior to everyone else but he seemed to have confidence about him time would tell if that was justified or not but he seemed loyal to Hanse so Sotek would give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Next to Nathanial was the commander of the 4th Donegal Guards who was quietly talking to an aide was Marshal Adolf Steinglatz he was a big man who looked more like a bodybuilder than a Mechwarrior or commander. Still, he was a highly competent commander if not the most imaginative one he had a good head for logistics and had worked wonders in making sure that the 4th had a smooth transition into an RCT for a regular regiment he was also if the rumours to be believed a champion poker player.

The final two late additions to the room had arrived only around a week and a half ago with their unit and were sitting close to each other. The First officer was Colonel Randoplh Chapman a short grey-eyed and brown-haired officer, an elite Mechwarrior originally from the New Avalon Hussars and noted for his unconventional tactics he had earned his reputation assignment to command the Federated Sun Armoured Cavalry through blood, sweat and tears.

The final man in the room was General Michael Lipstein the CO of the 15th Deneb light Cavalry, a man with a prizefighter’s face. Still, he had a first-class brain behind those features he had to since his unit focused on superior speed and mobility which was surprising considering the 15th was one of the heavier mech regiments of the Deneb Light Cavalry. He was a noted follower of the old stoic school of philosophy and usually quoted from Marcus Aurelius and Seneca.

He said, “Ladies and Gentlemen.”

The room went quiet, “what I’m about to go over the particulars of Operation BROADSIDE and DIRK however the reason for the operations is about to be disclosed to you and the real reason for this is classified Sword Two and if it leaves this room DMI will cart you off and throw you into the deepest hole they can find.”

There were a few widened eyes around the table but he got the obligatory, “Yes Sir,” from all of them as they all focused in on him like a mining laser going through a rock wall.

Meeting each of their gazes he brought up a picture and saw eyes widen among the senior officers present and several swore as they saw Katherine Steiner-Davion’s ruined body. He focused on his wife. Sep’s jaw had tightened, and her eyes had gone wide in shock but she kept her composure and watched attentively waiting for him to continue. Going along the other he saw a similar expression all waiting for him to continue.

He took a breath and continued, “It was discovered by a MIIO agent that…….”

One Hour later

There was a thick fog of raw emotions that seemed to permeate the room as he finished the background brief and reason for the operation. Every occupant in that room, even the usual clam Lipstein looked ready to chew Ferrous-Fiber armour as they went through the awful detail.

“Sir,” said Sep her face pale with rage, “what’s our role in the retrieval.”

He nodded and brought up a local map then went on, “We are the distraction for the Rabid Fox and LOKI team along with the Rough Riders will be running a raid on the world to give cover for their insertion. Our targets for the Heavy, the 5th Fusiliers and the 4th Donegal are the world of Mitchel, Yuris and Jacson we are to take and hold those worlds against whatever Romano throws at us until we confirm the Princess is within Commonwealth space.”

Hasek nodded and asked, “Will we keep those worlds if we can?”

Sortek looked at the younger man then said, “Depends on what the Den decides but I think it will be more than likely we will keep those worlds.”

“What’s our role in this sir?” asked Chapman looking at the map his head cocked.

“The Armoured Cav and the 15th will be raiding behind the lines of the enemy your targets will be Grand Base, Holloway, Madras, Victoria and Menke,” he said tracing out the line on the map, “On Grand Base and Victoria you will hold briefly while attached specialists and combat engineers loot the factories and transport the content back to the Capellen March and then torch what’s left. Also, burn what MacCanon has rebuilt since the AFFS last visit.”

“Are we including the golf course sir?” asked Nathanial, who got a small chuckle from everyone around the table despite the serious situation.

“Yes,” Sortek said with a toothy grin that would have made a hungry wolf envious, “Use what Firestarters you have on the whole thing and cover it in defoliant. Let’s add to Big MAC’s bills shall we?”

There were nods and smiles from around the table Big MAC had gotten away with a lot of things that were considered war crimes time to show them that crime never pays well when the AFFS was willing to play debt collector

“However,” he said grimly his eyes sweeping the hall meeting each of their eyes, “I must say that we will not stoop to the Cappies I don’t want to hear about any of your ordering reprisals or your troop’s rioting when the news breaks we are not them and I will not see us fall to Romano’s level.”

“now onto more in-depth details we intend to strike at….

Operation Broadside (Phase 1)

(Taken from Katherines War: Fire and Fury by Major General Harry Tuttle published in 3080 by New Avalon Swan Press)

….Operation Broadside was the primary distraction operation but at the time was seen as a strike back against House Liao and the CCAF to keep them off balance after their failed date with the hangman after the War 0f 3039. It was seen as a shocking blow to the jaw by the Chancellor Romano Liao and the Strategios who moved forces to the area this came on the heels of Operation Backslide which added even more confusion to an already chaotic situation this all came to ahead with the Redline Conference held by the rulers of the Commonwealth and the Suns….

Mitchel
Attackers
– 4th Donegal Guards RCT, 1 conventional infantry regiment

Defenders
– Warrior House Lu Sann (1st Battalion)

Overview
– The 4th Donegal Guard jumped into the system the militia sensor operator could not believe what came up on their scanners. As the 4th Burned into the system sweeping what aged aerospace fighters that were available to the militia allowing the 4th to land unopposed. The major leading Warrior House Lu Sann 1st Battalion attempted to disperse his forces along with the Militia to avoid getting overwhelmed however Marshal Adolf Steinglatz moved his forces to secure the industrial centre on world forcing under pressure from the planet’s nobles and  Maskirovka acting on Romano Liao’s standing orders executed him and forced his executive officer to move in to engage the now dug in 4th.

This allowed the Marshal to bring his RCTs firepower bear destroying the Warrior House and the Home Guard wiping them out and allowing them to take hold of the worlds for the Federated Commonwealth and install a new government.

Yuris
Attackers - 5th Styris Fusiliers, 2 conventional infantry regiments
Defenders – Yuris Home Guard

Overview – The 5th arrived on Yuris and quickly and overwhelmed the local home guard in fairly short order and claimed the world for the Federated Commonwealth.

Jacson
Attackers – Davion Heavy Guards RCT, 1 conventional infantry regiment
Defenders – Warrior House Lu Sann (2nd Battalion)

Overview – Princes Champion Ardan Sortek led the Heavy Guard to Jacson the Strength of Davion burned towards the world smashing what little Aerospace fighters the Home Guard can muster. They landed on the world and the Elite RCT moved to take the planetary capital the Second Battalion of Warrior House Lu and the home guard regiments who had drawn up to try and bleed them.

The plan could have been pulled off by a more experienced unit however the harassment fell apart in the second cutting attack as they were hit by the lighter elements of the heavy guards which held them in place allowing the weight of the RCT to slam into the pinned units led from the head by the princes champion who personally killed the House Master who was on world inspecting the second Battalion. After this, the world surrendered to the Federated Commonwealth and hung the Sunburst and Fist with Ardan Sotek taking the surrender of the planetary leader personally.

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2020, 10:04:17 »
Chapter 2 Part 2

Operation Broadside (Phase 2)

(A Cavalry Man's Tale: A Front Seat View to Katherine's War by Captain Harold Rex, Federated Commonwealth Press 3076, Skye)

…. When we were briefed on Operation Backslide all I could think of was damn what the hell did the Cappies to piss off the Prince and the Archon. Looking back now when we found out and the follow on against the Cappies I could not blame them. But at the time I was glad to be on operations against the Cappies they were still weak even after what happened in 3039.

It was only when we were shown the target list we were like damn they wanted us to go to town on them and me being one of the more bloody-minded officers of the FSAC was looking forward to it. The SoBs though I was fighting would hate every second of it which let me tell you I really did not give a damn about….   

Grand Base
Attackers – Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry, 15th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, 4 conventional Regiment with attached engineering units, 1 independent aerospace regiment.
Defenders – Death Commandos (1st Battalion), Warrior House Fujita (1st Battalion), Grand Base Home Guard

Overview – Fully recovered from the assault by the 6th Defenders of Andurien thanks to a massive investment by the Capellan Confederation it was a shock to the planetary defenders when the Jumpships of the 15th Deneb Light Cavalry and FSAC with attached units hit the system and proceeded to burn down onto the world. 15th and FSAC quickly deployed out of their dropships and began a harassment campaign against the Warrior House, Death Commando’s, and the well-equipped Home Guard.

While this was going on the independent infantry regiments landed with empty dropship with their combat engineers in tow at the Earthwerks plant proceeding to loot and load its contents into the factory into the waiting dropships with cover from the independent aerospace regiment.

While this was going on the FSAC lured the home guard and elements of Warrior House Fujita onto the guns on the 15th Deneb doing heavy damage and forcing them to fall back and hold up in the planet's military base. In this time elements of the 15th Deneb’s armour and infantry also stripped and destroyed the stronghold of Warrior House Lu Shan the occupants having either moved to shelter or joined in the defence. The infantry took the banners and swords off-world which is still displayed in the regiments bars to this day.

Eventually, the 15th and FSAC left the world leaving behind a mauled warrior house and home guard unit and even the elite Death Commando’s did not get away unscathed. When they lifted off from the world the Federated Suns had claimed numerous spare parts and newly made mechs as well as disabled and looted the production lines which set back the rebuilding of shattered CCAF units. The infantry regiments and the specialist made their way back into the Capellen March with their attendant dropships filled with industrial loot that was to be studied and used to restart several lines on various worlds.

Holloway
Attackers - Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry, 15th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, 1 independent aerospace regiment
Defenders - Warrior House Fujita (2nd Battalion), Holloway Home Guard

Overview – The Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry and the 15th Deneb Light Cavalry landed on the world and the 2nd Battalion of warrior house attempted to fade into the wilderness and launch raids on the invading Federated Suns forces. However, they were harried down by the 15th aerospace Brigade allowing the Armoured Cavalry to move up and crush the warrior House shattering as an effective force along with the home guard.

Madras
Attackers
- Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry, 15th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, 1 independent aerospace regiment
Defenders – Madras Home Guard

Overview – The Madras Home Guard was caught flat-footed and was quickly overwhelmed by the FSAC and the 15th they used the time on world to repair what they could on world from their reserves and rest their troops before jumping out of the system. During this time the local mask attempted to strike back however they were eliminated in short order.

Victoria
Attackers - Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry, 15th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT, 1 independent aerospace regiment, 4 Conventional Regiments, attached specialist and engineers
Defenders – Victoria Home Guard

Overview – The raids were nearing their end when the FSAC and the 15th hit the world like a thunderstorm acting on intelligence acquired by the MIIO and DMI of a high-value target they were joined by four infantry regiments and attach specialist and engineers as well for this operation who jumped in just after their arrival.

They landed on the world and forced the home guard back into the tunnels where they conducted a guerrilla campaign. While they were held in place the infantry regiments assaulted the former site of the Carlos Dangmar Lee BattleMech Research Center overwhelming the defenders and bringing in a team of NAIS specialists that had been attached. At the same time, another unit moved to the small Earthwerks plant on the world.

The home guard with the insistence of Maskirovka political officers attempted to break through the cordon when they received word however they ran onto the guns of the FSAC and the 15th decimating them from there the raiding force moved to help secure the sites. In short order, the Carlos Dangmar Lee BattleMech Research Center was looted down to the bedrock making off with advanced technology and several advanced prototypes. The Earthwerks plant yielded less material but was still a substantial find as they made their way off-world.

Again, the infantry left with their own attendant dropships that were bound for New Avalon and NAIS to try and unlock the secrets left by the SLDF in their research facility. Much to the rage of Romano Liao and the CCAF as well the Duke of Victoria.

Menke
Attackers - Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry, 15th Deneb Light Cavalry, 1 independent aerospace regiment
Defenders – 2nd and 6th McCarron Armoured Cavalry

Overview – The AFFC force revisited the still rebuilding world of Menke the 2nd and 6th McCarron Armoured Cavalry where no slouches and immediately got word out before preparing to meet the raiding forces. FSCA and 15th hit there landing zone and moved off using their are quick deployment rapidly advancing into the jungles of Menke. Big Mac used their home field advantage to strike at the advancing forces causing damage to the lead element however the FSAC and 15th were able to support each other easily and easily deal with the lead elements of the armoured cavalry.

Infantry and armoured elements proceeded to smash into the still rebuild recreation and support facilities of McCarron’s Armoured Cavalry burning them to the ground and looting what supplies they could from their depots.

This was while the majority of the FSAC and 15th played a deadly game of cat and mouse with 6th McCarron Armoured Cavalry (Baxter’s Brawlers)  and the 2nd McCarron Armoured Cavalry (Barton’s Regiment) both sides inflicting severe casualties on the other in the jungle as they hunted each other while ASF duelled in the skies. However, Baxter’s Brawlers were the first to break being both still heavily damaged and also when 1st company of the Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry stumbled upon Colonel Marcus Baxter’s command lance and wiped it out however Baxter survived though with extensive injuries he was treated by FSAC medics and evacuated off-world as a prisoner of war. They were then chased down by the elements of both the FSAC and the 15th this forced the 2nd Big MAC to fall back seeing they were dangerously exposed.

This forced the rest of McCarron’s Armoured Cavalry to retreat to Fort McCarron and allowed the FSAC and 15th a free hand to destroy and loot the support facilities and apply defoliant to the recently restored golf course it was also noted in a fit of whimsy that a Corporal Samuel Harris of the 15th infantry who had lost family to the unit spray-painted on the course in capital letters ‘PAY BACK’S A BITCH ISN’T IT?’

Eventually, the unit left the world with even more loot loaded into their regiment’s dropships and jumped back into the Capellen March.

Overall Results –

Phase one came as a massive shock to the already battered CCAF by the 4th Succession War it effectively destroyed Warrior House Lu Shanas a fighting force crippling it for the foreseeable as a fighting force and further hampered its ability to rebuild. The RCTs also captured three of the three worlds was an added insult that led to Romano killing the Servetor who brought her the message and ordered the shocked  Strategios to begin planning a counter-attack.

The Phase 2 the Raid though more commonly referred to colloquially as The Cavalry’s Ride is considered a major success. It saw the looting of an industrialised world allowing for several lines to be restored in the Federated Suns and eventually the Lyran Commonwealth after consideration. It also saw a veritable treasure trove of technology and the data taken from the Carlos Dangmar Lee BattleMech Research Center which would be put to good use by NAIS and would lead to the restoration of lost designs and technology in the Lyran Commonwealth and the Federated Suns this would lead to a strengthening of the Federated Commonwealth as various companies saw the restoration of lines and new technical data assisting in the restoration of old mech lines and weapons lines which were sped up when NAIS gained a copy of the Helm Core. On the civilian side there was parting all over the March when Broadside Phase 2 came on the heels of phase 1 and all over the Federated Commonwealth, there was a surge in optimism due to the actions of the respective units.

For the CCAF the Broadside phase 1 and 2 was a disaster as they were still trying to process and respond to what had happened with Broadside Phase 1. The raid hit them like a hammer blow knocking the already confused Strategios into a panic which was not helped by Romano Liao’s ravings; it was noted from surviving recordings that she was raving at the heads of the Strategios in one meeting to the point she drove herself into an apoplectic fit. The damage though was done one warrior house was heavily damaged along with the elite of the Confederation the Death Commando’s and Big MAC had suffered heavy casualties with the 6th being disbanded and used to rebuild what they could of the 2nd. However it would be a long time rebuilding the shattered 2nd. Archibald McCarron was furious with the second raid on his unit’s holdfast, the damage to two of his commands and the capture of Marcus Baxter and requested to go after the 15th and the FSAC however this was denied by the Chancellor this would create a rift between the two to add to this Baxter a trusted subordinate was now a Federated Commonwealth POW. Industrially the confederations already tattered industrial base was in a worse state than before with the damage done to Grand Base and the loss of the technological recovery on Victoria made a bad situation even worse leading to delays in rebuilding the shattered industry and military of the CCAF.

As for the Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry and the 15th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT and 16th, independent Aerospace regiment would each be awarded the Limp Sword Flag along with many other medals being given out to various members of both regiments. However, the campaign was not without its cost the pace of operations severely damaged both units and the intensity of the fighting with the 15th being down to 67% strength and the Armoured cavalry being down to 54% strength in terms of material casualties and personnel however due to the performance by the 15th they were flushed with recruits and the Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry was filled out on the usual way with experienced personnel from other units. The units that held Mitchel, Yuris and Jonson were also celebrated for the destruction of Warrior House Lushan and claiming three new worlds for the Federated Commonwealth.

For the other powers, the Free World’s League again protested but was content to watch for now. At the same time, the DCMS began to cut orders for troops to move to their shared borders in case it was a prelude to the resumption of hostiles and the Taurian Concordat did a similar move while the Magistracy of Canopus and Otherworlds Alliance watched on. While on Terra in the Halls of the First Circuit there was a sense of barely controlled fury as there had been very little indication that this had been planned and the Primus Myndo Waterly ordered Precentor ROM to discover what had set the Federated Commonwealth off so suddenly. The Free Rasalhague Republic meanwhile was maintaining a neutral stance however the KungsArme was put on alert should hostilities ignite.  While for Candace Liao and the St. Ives compact Broadside Phase 1 and 2 were met with a shock so much so that Prime Minister Candice Allard Liao who was travelling with Melissa Steiner to New Avalon when she got the news intended to deal with this matter with Hanse personally, however, this would change with the Red Line conference.

Operation DIRK (Phase 3)

Attackers – Hansen’s Roughriders, 2 conventional regiments (Covertly: Rabid Fox team Gamma 2 and the LOKI team six-two)

Defender – Sung’s Cuirassiers, Rollis Home Guard, (Covertly: Mixed Mask and Thuggee guards)

Overview – Hassen’s Roughriders jumped into the system and burned towards the world intending to knock out Sung’s Cuirassiers so they could not be used to support the CCAF counter-attack. The Rough Riders burned into the system aiming to smash through the Cuirassiers. They landed on the world and proceeded to engage the Cuirassiers and the Home Guard heavily. With support from 2 conventional infantry regiments supplied by the AFFC in support of the Rough Riders.

While this was going on using the cover of the raid the two special operations teams deployed….

Near Camp Zeng, Continent of Spruce, Rollis, Sian Commonality, Capellan Confederation, 22nd September 3046

Darkness had fallen over the world the moon Rollis, Rory cast its baleful light over the forest as Morgan scanned the forest as her team and Hayden advanced uphill towards their target. The forest was still except for the odd imported insect or animal that moved through the forest, the tail end Charlie could be seen sweeping back every so often to check the rear.

Morgan raised her hand, and everyone dropped down to one knee and Hayden moved up to her they nodded at each other and crawled up to the lip of the hill. It looked down from the heavily forested area and before them they saw what looked like a cardboard cut out of a town. Right down to the house’s an ideal little town for one of the most messed up successor states in the Inner Sphere.

“Good disguise,” Hayden said as he pulled down his visors and scanned the town with his, “who would expect it to be hidden in a set piece for propaganda.”

She pulled her own visor and joined him, “Yep.” she said as she looked over the gaudy set-piece village, “there is our entrance,” she pointed and Hayden scanned over and they saw the garage that the intel had marked as the sites main entrance.

“According to the intel,” Hayden said, “the cultists were pretty lax relying on secrecy of the location but since the Death commandos came in they tried to whip them into shape with mixed success.”

“You mean other than not setting guards,” Morgan said with a snort and lifts her visor, “or at least not setting up some kind of disguised roving patrol. The Death Commando’s standards must be slipping badly.”

“That or there are less of them than we have been lead to believe,” said Hayden lifting his visor to look at her, “Maybe focused on guarding high-value prisoners.”

“Whatever the case, let's begin the operation,” Morgan says with a grin as she checks her knife she waves and all the troopers advance down to the village.

----
Chin Lu Bao sits at the small desk at the entrance reading the sacred text of the Goddess that she had passed down to them. He was one of the few given the holy duty of guarding the important heretics with her other chosen and her hands who had recently been assigned her, however, the death commando’s had recently been drawn down to a platoon and sent on another divine quest.

Though there Maskerovka Brethren had remained in numbers here at the camp to be honest though he didn’t care for their leader Citizen Shu he struck him as lacking in commitment to the goddess’s plans she must have had wisdom assigning him to this important post.

Here they brought all the important traitors and heretics so they may be cleansed and purified before the journey to see the Goddess, as well as extract what secrets they may from their mortal shells, may give them.

He yawned, interrupting his musings and rubbed his eyes it was late and hopefully Willas will be here to spell him soon otherwise….

The security doors slid open and before he could react there were several quiet coughs and he felt pain as he fell to the ground his blood coating the floor as the world went dark and heard booted feet move past him.

---
The barracks A1 was quite as the cultist were asleep or going through their evening rituals when the door swung open and several spheres bounced in it took a moment for the cultist to recognize what they were and on man tired to dive onto it when the room exploded into brilliant light and armoured forms rushed in gunning down the dazed and confused cultist.

Similar scenes played out like this in the other two barracks except for the last one that held the Death Commando’s they had sensed something off and turned the whole corridor to their billet in Barracks A4 into a Killzone. They were holding out for now but they had little hope of pushing beyond the Killzone they had established without support.

The Rabid Foxes elements and the LOKI elements moved to kill Cultist and Mask Agents that tried to stop them eventually they reached the commander’s office and the holding area.

---
Citizen Shu also known as St Helen’s by MIIO had the needle pistol on his desk along with a datapad. He sat there playing with a desk ornament waiting as he listened to the hum of the ventilation the attack should be going in now. He couldn’t help but have a mad grin at that to play the role he had for so long had taken all the willpower and skill he had possessed. But this long nightmare was finally coming to the end and his mission would be over and his parent’s ghost would be at rest.

Sighing he heard the thunder of boots and gunshots outside his door followed by screams of the dead and dying cultist and the few mask guards. The door then swung open and two Rabid Fox’s in their sneaking suits entered the room they were followed by a woman wearing a LOKI suit.

“The lair of the wolf is his refuge,” she said a slight Germanic accent colouring her voice, “and where he has made him his home.”

He nodded and said, “Not even the head wolf may enter, not even the council may come.”

“St Helens,” she said now that he had given the confirmation phrase, “what can you tell us about the princess' condition currently.”

“She hasn’t deteriorated further,” he said in a calm voice. He really didn’t feel at the hunk of meat that had been a young woman, “I stopped the worst of the ‘test’s’ and other barbarism on her but…”

The LOKI agent nodded her body language showing a controlled rage beneath her surface and he continued, “I have gathered copies of the files at this base which contain some shocking revelations for a great many people but our priority should be the extraction of the princess.”

“Agree,” she said, “Malan stay here and guard St. Helens, Hall help him and ensure we grab everything on the base system.”

“Yes ma’am,” she echoed and she turned and left as the three of them set to work.

Morgan with a mixed team ran down the corridor Hayden had taken over the clearing operation of the base which other than the Death Commando barracks were going smoothly. She and her small team now had the priority target securing the Princess. She turned a corner and almost ran into one of the mad cultists without thinking she pulled the knife out and rammed it into his throat and kept moving.

With her squad behind her when they reached the holding area for this base and rushed past the cells some empty and some occupied. Though if they were alive she couldn’t tell but judging by the machines she saw hooked up to them and the fact they looked like bloody hunks of meat she really couldn’t tell and she prayed they weren’t.

Eventually, they approached the furthest cell and saw a Death Commando and several cultists set up at the door. Without thinking they raised their rifles and fired into the group killing two of the cultists while the rest and the death commando took cover and returned fire.

She made a gesture and one of her LOKI leant out and suppressed the squad with a withering hail of fire while a Rabid Fox threw a Flash Bang down the corridor. She heard a distinctive band and then she and her team advanced. She saw the Death Commando recover first but it was too little too late.

Rounds slammed into the bastard dropping him like a puppet with its string cut, and they made it to the Princess cell.

---

There had been loud noises, were they coming for her to end it all….

She’d prayed for death now it was all she wanted and would be the sweetest gift that God could give her now a final release. She was broken, they'd taken bits of her made that doll into a copy of her and promised to use her to destroy everything she loved and they would make her watch.

She boasted it to her in one of her infrequent visits to torment her and the testing and tortured still continued. So she’d retreated inside where she thought they could not draw her out but they did they always did. The last time to pull her out for one of her visits they destroyed her eye and dragged her out of her safe place kicking and screaming like they had the others here some of them didn’t even look human anymore.

She heard the door open and she tilted her head and blinked a Lyran sneak suit! No this had to be a dream! They couldn’t be real! This had to be some cruel trick!

“Scheißen,” swore the female leader, “get the medic now!”

She started to cry as she heard a Lyran accent psychically shaking as sobs as she felt a mix of relief, anger and horror. As she finally broke as she heard that voice as her damaged vocal cords giving voice to wracking sobs as a medic and the woman ran over to check her as she continued to sob as the medic injected her with something and she knew nothing more.

---
The fighting was over as Hayden walked down to the cells he’d called in the Roughriders to send over infantry to secure the area along with some of their medical staff. This whole place was a little shop of horrors, he found Morgan in the Princess cell as the medic got to work trying to make sure they could move her.

“How is she looking?” he asked Morgan quietly.

“Worse than we feared,” she said and nodded to the medic, “internally she is more of a mess than intel initially suggested were preparing her before we move her to the dropship.”

“Damn it,” He swore then nodded and asked, “what about the other?”

“All as bad or worse than the Princess,” she said grimly and he noticed her handshake slightly, “the medics are preparing them for movement but it’s going to take time to treat these people that’s not even considering recovery were going to have to take all sixty of these people to NAIS for specialist treatment.”

Hayden ran his hand through his hair, “What a ****** up situation,” he said as the LOKI and the Rabid Fox tech specialist entered.

“Sir, Ma’ma,” said the Rabid Fox Tech, “we got a list and a tonne of other data thanks to Saint Helens including a list of who was held here mostly Cappie politicals but a few of ours Free Worlders and Bulls.”

He took the list and scrolled down whistling in feeling sick horror crawl through his stomach, “Damn a lot of people have come through here in a short time,” he said, “any idea how many could be doppelgangers?”

“So far we have identified several,” the LOKI tech said, “there are also some locked files we are working on getting into. But we think it may have more high-security data on it.”

“Very well,” he said, “Carry on.”

As they left Morgan looking at the Princess and said, “this is going to cause another war.”

“Yes,” He said, looking at the Princess as well.

----

A week later the roughriders along with the Rough Riders, LOKI and Rabid Fox Teams lifted off-world making the long track to New Avalon, carrying sixty prisoners and one agent and a load of classified data for DMI and MIIO to go over leaving a smashed CCAF formation and a crater where Camp Zeng once was.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2020, 11:09:20 »
That was a very nice chapter.  There were a few misspelled words, but overall nicely written.    I wonder who the other victims  are?  It should be interesting to find out by MIIO and LIC. 

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2020, 11:32:25 »
Eventually release information that Kathy was held and what was done, the names of a few others, but then say they cannot confirm or deny that anyone from the Kurita family was held there

That should get a nice bit of paranoia going

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2020, 11:43:49 »
I wonder if, in this continuity, Isis Marik is also held there.

I mean, the whole plot to replace the real Thomas Marik with the fake Thomas Marik could have collapsed right there if someone had noticed that Isis is, firstly, proven to be the child of Thomas Marik, and secondly, not biologically related to the person calling himself Thomas Marik. She should have been killed or disappeared before the fake ever showed his face in public.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #21 on: 30 June 2020, 11:55:00 »
Tagged.

Good story, needs editing and spellchecking.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2020, 12:49:39 »
How would COMSTAR's own Precentor-Martial Focht would react when he hears the news about what the CC did versus what the First Circuit will say?

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
« Reply #23 on: 30 June 2020, 13:18:56 »
Great to see this get an update kelgar04. Well done indeed, such a simple idea spawning a really interesting AU.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 30 June 2020, 14:09:21 »
Yep, I concur with the others, the latest chapter was well written, well done! :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #25 on: 30 June 2020, 19:23:49 »
Wow... just... wow!  8)

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 30 June 2020, 20:38:55 »
Eventually release information that Kathy was held and what was done, the names of a few others, but then say they cannot confirm or deny that anyone from the Kurita family was held there

That should get a nice bit of paranoia going

That might not be a good idea, it would bite you back, unless you plan on taking out said double. Since the Double is probably programmed to start a war with the FC when they come to power. Or stage a provocation to cause a war.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #27 on: 01 July 2020, 03:47:23 »
Considering this is called Katherine's War, I reckon the information on what the Mask did will be released as soon as she is safe. They will either get her to New Syrtis for medical attention or via command circut directly to New Avalon.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #28 on: 01 July 2020, 11:34:41 »
Nice story. I like the fact that this causes the fedcom to still exist by the time of the Jihad (as stated in the quote from the memory's book by that trooper).

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 04 July 2020, 19:50:12 »
As I said elsewhere...

TO: Star League Council

Capella delenda est.

Register