Author Topic: an alternate Elizabeth... (ngoverse tangent, short.)  (Read 22746 times)

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
Re: an alternate Elizabeth... (ngoverse tangent, short.)
« Reply #30 on: 01 July 2020, 06:32:28 »
Was Lizzy at the Liaotian Re-education Camp long enough to form her escape committee with Penny and Daphne? And if so, was she able to break them out also?
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 01 July 2020, 08:33:56 »
"your father is missing in action, Elizabeth, and given the destruction of his unit, it's a good bet he's dead."  Hanse studied her reaction.

"Does that mean you're going to release Pat to take over at Kowloon then?" Elizabeth asked without missing a beat-and the First Prince caught the shift-instead of going to the emotional response, she went straight to problem-solving.

The truth being, once she'd gotten his attention after the dustup with Arthur, MIIO had looked into the situation on Kowloon as part of the backgrounding, and the regent installed there was turning out to be...well, problematic and corrupt are nice ways to put it.

"Interesting choice." Hanse paced, "let's go outside."

she followed him into the garden.  "Why was  your first thought to install your older brother early?" Hanse asked.

"He's near the end of his mandatory five, he's got field command experience, finished his education..." she counted off her fingers, "...it's his seat by right of the law if dad's dead or incapacitated, he got to be home on Kowloon often enough while grandfather was alive that he's known and popular there, the regency is creating a problem, and it prevents another loss in the ducal line on foreign land, Pat's a big fan of your reforms to the military and he'll be a good spokesman for getting our people on-board once he's removed Stoney from office."

"And?" the First Prince pressed.

"I can go home if Patrick's not deployed." she said, "Safely go home.  Mom won't dare pull her shit with him in the house."

"And you pulling yours?" Hanse asked lightly.

"Uh...what shit?"

"you may have run rings around the drug counselors and security at the Marsden House facility, Liz, but they're not a patch on a Rabid Fox team."  he held out his hand, "Left jacket pocket, please."

she blushed, and pulled the baggie out of her tunic.

"You know that we know what you have, Elizabeth, you don't need to play with the criminals to get it, but if you're going to insist on doing that, you need to work on your field-craft."  He held it up, "What is it that you think you bought, anyway? It wasn't in the report."

"Precursor drugs for LD-501, Sir." she said.

"the so-called 'logic drug'??" he asked.

"Yeah, suppresses emotional response and attendant brain chemicals, I kinda have this idea that maybe it might work with the painkillers to slow the progress of the syndrome."  she shrugged, "I didn't want to go through the normal channels in case I was wrong."

"Here's my deal for you; stick to following process and procedures, stop breaking the law, and I'll send your older brother home to take charge of Kowloon.  It's the best deal you'll get, little bit."

"Yes sir. Deal accepted."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 01 July 2020, 08:36:53 »
  why am i suddenly expecting her to build what amounts to a protomech.. perhaps along the lines of the marvel Hulkbuster as a prototype while she dreams up some decent small scale weapons to mount on it. (too big for infantry weapons, too small to fit most mech ones.) use a light exoskeleton (of the sort used for loading cargo in the IS at the time) as a control frame perhaps, as a halfway point between true power armor and a mech cockpit.

She needs theme music for when she is inventing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNu6fRo_7fg

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 01 July 2020, 10:25:01 »
"holy shit, Liz...what is this?"

she'd moved from whiteboards and display screens to using lipstick on the windows and walls.

"Huh?"  Elizabeth was chewing on a stick.  "Oh. Hey, uh, it's complicated?"

"Yeah, I see that, what is it?"

"um, Most of this is just calculus." she said, "I'm almost finished.  Had an idea."

"Okay, what's the idea?" by now, Arthur was about the only member of the Steiner-Davion household who really could grasp how her mind worked when she was in a manic period. 

"well...see, I started with looking at some complaints from the line units." she said, "Stuff that kept coming up in after-action reports on the Clan Front.  I think it was ammunition shortages or..spare parts? I can't remember, but it got me curious so I started reading Kearney's papers and there are gaps in the record-real subtle, but they're definitely there-like someone erased some of the theorems, so then I started wondering what might fit to make the equations tie together and do what we know they do, and that got me thinking about how computers work, so I started digging into machine learning papers and that made me curious about-"

"What is it, Liz?"  Arthur asked, while Katherine frowned beside him.

"well, I think I have an idea for a weapon the Clans don't have, and probably don't even have a word for." the girl answered, "I'm not sure we have a word for it-right now I'm trying to break down the math to make a compact algorithm to run it off of."

"What does it do?"  Arthur asked.

"Learning machine." She said, "Networked, lots of small units that are cheap, you drop the cannisters in occupied territory and the machines get to work, they'll hunt, right?" she said, "Look for EM sources, concentrations of armor-grade metals and thermals in weapons grade ranges, and latch on, one spots, the rest converge, they swarm the target and dismantle it with cutters, grinding wheels, and hydraulic limbs. they swarm the target, take the thing apart, and assemble replacements and repair each other, employing minor upgrades, the network parallels processing, so the more of them you have in range, the smarter they get, and they'll maybe learn from each encounter, pass down information...once I make the processor, which is what all this-" she waved a hand, "Is really about, figuring out how to get it small enough while still being flexible enough, and simple enough for mass production."

she stopped, "Hi Kathy."  and turned back to her work.

"How small?"  Katherine asked.

"Oh...I think I can get the power requirements down to around forty watts for the chassis and processor." Liz said, "maybe need a better battery density for the payload packages-I machined a prototype over there for the chassis, if I can get the processors small enough and smart enough without sacrificing too much lifespan..."

Katherine walked into the lab-shop, carefully avoiding the writing that had spread to the floor, to look at the prototype.

a sculpture that looked like two AFFC combat helmets crossed with a spider, crouched on the table.

"Is this it??"

"Um, yeah, for now.  Smallest chassis I could fit everything I need off-the-shelf into, buggy's still kinda...buggy, so I didn't give it the full manipulators and cutters and stuff yet."

"Liz, 'buggy'??"

"Oh, don't worry, he's not dangerous yet, I have the power-pack over here." Elizabeth said casually, "I'm not ready for a field test yet."

"Your girlfriend is weird Arthur."

"She's not my girlfriend, she's just my friend." Arthur said seriously.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2020, 10:30:14 »
Sure, Arthur. Just keep saying that, but nobody will believe you.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #35 on: 01 July 2020, 10:42:11 »
To quote the Bard, The lady doth protest too much, methinks  8)
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 01 July 2020, 10:52:03 »
Is she trying to make a Von Neumann adaptive disassembler swarm?

Hope she includes an 'off' command, and the little guys don't improve themselves to ignore it

Or one of the little guys spots a giant thermal/EM source above itself, and proceeds to improve itself (and others) to consume it

A safer method might be a hidden factory that builds the new guys, so taking out the factory allows usage of the planet afterwards.

But if she does get it working, the Clans will have words to describe it.  Lots of words.  They may even have phrases that start with "Orbital bombardment", "planetary sterilization", and "they're coming after us"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 01 July 2020, 11:53:38 »
"...you realize what you've got in that part of the palace, don't you?"  Katherine asked. 

Melissa just shrugged, "She's an imaginative girl, and somewhat gifted."

"Mother, she's designing weapons.  Weapons with no 'off switch'.  Why did you take her in?"

"Your father wanted her under control." Melissa noted, "Hanse feels an undirected intellect like that could be either an asset, or a serious problem.  do you know how she got your father's attention?"

"no?"

"She outlined how to destroy an inhabited planet for less than five hundred million kroner in six months-with the maths and the proofs, and even a budgetary outline." Melissa noted, "As a sixth grade science fair presentation."

"So why is she here instead of at NAIS with the rest of them?" Katherine asked.

"Because I want a private mad scientist of my own, rather than relying on your father's half of the family to manage them." Melissa stated, "And because she is Lyran...and because this way, Arthur has someone to speak with who likes the same things he does, your brother is gifted in similar though less...extreme, ways, and he has so much difficulty with boys and girls his age, and so few of our peers have any real in-depth interest in science or technology that can't be immediately useful."

"She wants to make self-replicating war-machines, mother."

"She will get bored as soon as she has built one that works,  like she did with the powered armor suits." Melissa dismissed, "Elizabeth's brilliant, but she is also sometimes less focused, but she gets along with Arthur so well...it's a shame she won't last."

"Won't last?" Katherine prompted.

"Oh, she's dying, Katherine.  Incurable, ultimately agonizing, wait another twenty years and she'll be screaming for mercy as her body tears itself apart, she has Cholmann's Syndrome.  Her latest examinations project her lifespan at thirty four years, but she will be living on antisiezure medications and grade-alpha narcotics before she's twenty five."

Katherine knew exactly what Cholmann's syndrome was.  one of five 'truly incurable' genetic maladies,  documented as one of the single worst ways to die- in absolute agony, conscious, and insane, but unable to act while the body's mechanisms turned inward, effectively shattering bones and liquefying organs from inside outward.

but reputedly, such people were often brilliant in whatever field they chose during their 'useful' lifespan.

"Does she know?"

"Yes. but medicine bores her, unfortunately." Melissa sighed, "she likes more esoteric fields of study."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 01 July 2020, 12:02:49 »
she likes having a true final proof, such as that crater proves my theory
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #39 on: 01 July 2020, 12:27:13 »
Is she trying to make a Von Neumann adaptive disassembler swarm?

Yes, yes she is.

Hope she includes an 'off' command, and the little guys don't improve themselves to ignore it

Or Arthur or Katherine helpfully suggest is, 'cause Liz might forget.

Or one of the little guys spots a giant thermal/EM source above itself, and proceeds to improve itself (and others) to consume it

A safer method might be a hidden factory that builds the new guys, so taking out the factory allows usage of the planet afterwards.

But if she does get it working, the Clans will have words to describe it.  Lots of words.  They may even have phrases that start with "Orbital bombardment", "planetary sterilization", and "they're coming after us"

First the Clans, then everyone else.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 01 July 2020, 12:49:45 »
[out of story]

and now, you see why putting Liz in the direct care and company of one of the Great House Families is a BAD IDEA.  possibly a supremely bad idea, especially if she's given actual resources at certain formative periods in time...with someone else there to take the heat and be all responsible and such.  projected from around 3050 to 3062 and the outcomes get downright apocalyptic...for everyone.  Von Neumann Machines, Relativistic Weapons, gott only knows what else.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 01 July 2020, 13:03:46 »
Could it maybe this Von-Neumann swarm that is plaguing your other universe Cannonshop?  8)

Rodon

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 01 July 2020, 13:41:00 »
I'm assuming that FC has power armor, at least in limited deployment, ever since Liz developed it.  Along with a dozen scientists translating Liz's scribbles into scientific papers.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 01 July 2020, 13:56:56 »
Could it maybe this Von-Neumann swarm that is plaguing your other universe Cannonshop?  8)

nope.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 01 July 2020, 14:13:30 »
"...you realize what you've got in that part of the palace, don't you?"  Katherine asked.  "She will get bored as soon as she has built one that works,  like she did with the powered armor suits." Melissa dismissed, "Elizabeth's brilliant, but she is also sometimes less focused, but she gets along with Arthur so well...it's a shame she won't last."

And given the bolded section, and the Clans being revealed already at this point?  Did someone take Liz's work and prototype and run with it?  Even just licensing it out would be a nice chunk of cash, and let the Lyran side of the Commonwealth steal a march on the Dracs for the first Sphere Battle Armor.

"Yes. but medicine bores her, unfortunately." Melissa sighed, "she likes more esoteric fields of study."

Wait till Liz gets interested in brain downloading...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 01 July 2020, 14:17:56 »
Melissa clearly didn't see how dangerous Father's 'pet' really was.

But Katherine did.

she paused in the atrium.  They are cute together.  Arthur and Elizabeth were talking about something-he'd managed to drag her out of her laboratory-rooms-apartments into Tharkad sunshine.

dog years.  it resonated in Katherine's mind.  she has dog-years.

"it's going to be a shame when we have to put her down." Her father's voice startled her. 

"Father?"

"Elizabeth there." he said, "It's going to be a shame when she has to be euthanized.  You were speaking with your mother."

"about her." Katherine gestured at the courtyard below.

"and she told you." he said, "I don't know where we're going to find an asset as...flexible for problem solving, once her syndrome gets bad enough."

"you're using her?"

Hanse tapped the side of his nose, "I am.  That kid's ideas-when she gets them, have generated rafts of solutions to problems we didn't even realize existed, opened whole branches of technology research at NAIS we didn't even bother with.  she's a ****** gold mine, and she's life-limited.  if we're VERY lucky, some of that will rub off on Arthur and he can start pushing technological boundaries on his own...but she's not just useful for tech."

"What do you mean?" Katherine asked.

"Give her enough information on anything and she'll stumble into trying to solve it." Hanse told her.

"Her weapons."

"I let her see some of the reports from the front." Hanse told her, "After her father disappeared.  forty hours later and I've got top men looking at the stuff she started and hasn't finished in areas ranging from energy storage to advanced computers to new armor composites, and I have another team, of economists and statisticians looking at her notes on how to pay for tooling and production."

"Seems like a waste of time." she confessed.

"Rotary Autocannons." Hanse told her, "We were trying to match the performance of Clan autocannons, and she solved the jamming problem for ultras for us, while also opening up two additional modes of fire, and she was trying to solve a completely different problem, but the two intersected.  Kate, you get a Leonardo maybe once in a century if you're lucky-we scored it this time."

"We're still losing." Katherine said.

"We're still losing." her father agreed.  "But we're not going down so easily as they would like, and we might still turn this thing with the Clans around."

She looked down.  "Father, what's that?"

"Oh, these?  Some old ship designs, testing data, performance data, warships." he said lightly, "I think there's an old copy of Kearney's theorems in there, and we kind of slipped in notes about the engine problems for the RX-79, supply issues.  a puzzle for Arthur's friend down there, something to get her mind off of trying to start the robot apocalypse."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #46 on: 01 July 2020, 14:49:54 »
watch as she cracks antigravity while trying to enhance fusion engine hyperspatial power output while fixing RX-70's sublight drive problems and the FedCom gets started down the road to BSG style "go anywhere" jump drives..
« Last Edit: 01 July 2020, 14:52:57 by glitterboy2098 »

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 01 July 2020, 15:18:57 »
 Liz Ngo designs Von-Neumann machine for space use to build Jump ships and War ships.
2 years later FedCom has 200 warships and 100 Star lord JS With Titans and Colossus DS. 
   Liz tells Hanse and Mellisa that she realized it would take years to train crew and pilots for the 25 RCTs of mechs and fighters her machines built, so she just made drone pilots for the mechs and ASF.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 01 July 2020, 15:21:44 »
I tend to still get confounded with the assumption that there's a overlap with BSG ... though I admit I've never watched that show...

Anyhoo, this Lizzie is going to leave a legacy!

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #49 on: 01 July 2020, 16:45:54 »
Right now, Hanse and Melissa are the firsts ones looking at Liz's work. wait til the Master and his minions get their hands on it...  >:D :laughing_skull:

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 01 July 2020, 17:01:15 »
Liz Ngo designs Von-Neumann machine for space use to build Jump ships and War ships.
2 years later FedCom has 200 warships and 100 Star lord JS With Titans and Colossus DS. 
   Liz tells Hanse and Mellisa that she realized it would take years to train crew and pilots for the 25 RCTs of mechs and fighters her machines built, so she just made drone pilots for the mechs and ASF.

The really scary thing to happen would be for Hanse to walk in to the Fox's Den and see's all his major Generals and Admirals up on Vulture's Row of the Situation and Monitoring room. (Vulture's Row: The upper balcony of a room that has the briefing rooms and Leaders/Commanders offices)
He comes up to them and notices Liz and Author down at the Holo table running a Sim of a Davion invasion of a Simulated Clan World. Many Warships burning in fast under imposible G-Forces, Troop Transports duing micro jumps from L1 and L2 Lagrange Points to orbital points and releasing dropships immediatly into high orbit. Mech sized and Infantry sized drop cacoons bulleting into atmosphere being launched from Transports that were impossible large.

Hanse comments to Morgan, "that is a interesting Sim, Only if that world was real"

Morgan turns toward Hanse, his eyes expression showing Horror and possible Madness, "That View is being beamed by updated (by Ngo) versions of our Black Boxes from a world over 1000 LY away with delays of only 10 sec. Ngo has a two way com line set up to give basic orders to what she calls Virtual Intelligence on each unit down to powered Armored suits."

Morgan's manic grin is really starting to creep out Hanse, "She said it was an exercise of her 'Mini Computers' to Construct Units and Interact over Distance. She SAID, it would be better to test it in There side of the Void, instead of here!"

In the Holo Tank, Corvette sized ships, with impossible weapons numbers for their size, Clear the Orbitals, Then More Craft move in and Start releasing TANKS into the orbitals, that start moving down into atmosphere while maintaining a relatively close formation.
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #51 on: 01 July 2020, 17:34:31 »
"well...see, I started with looking at some complaints from the line units." she said, "Stuff that kept coming up in after-action reports on the Clan Front.  I think it was ammunition shortages or..spare parts? I can't remember, but it got me curious so I started reading Kearney's papers and there are gaps in the record-real subtle, but they're definitely there-like someone erased some of the theorems, so then I started wondering what might fit to make the equations tie together and do what we know they do, and that got me thinking about how computers work, so I started digging into machine learning papers and that made me curious about-"
The hardest homework problem I had in college was to "show the work" between two versions of a quantum physics formula Dirac (or maybe it was Pauli) did on the back of a ****** napkin in the '20s.  It took three of us ALL NIGHT to figure it out.  One of my friends working the first version forward, the second working the other backward, and me looking for the link.  When we were done, we could follow the first ten steps or so logically from the first, and the last ten or so steps back from the last.  That middle step?  The one I spotted at something like 0300?  PURE ****** MAGIC!!!  Why our hero from the 1920s even THOUGHT of doing that, none of us could explain...

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #52 on: 01 July 2020, 17:37:05 »

The really scary thing to happen would be for Hanse to walk in to the Fox's Den and see's all his major Generals and Admirals up on Vulture's Row of the Situation and Monitoring room. (Vulture's Row: The upper balcony of a room that has the briefing rooms and Leaders/Commanders offices)
He comes up to them and notices Liz and Author down at the Holo table running a Sim of a Davion invasion of a Simulated Clan World. Many Warships burning in fast under imposible G-Forces, Troop Transports duing micro jumps from L1 and L2 Lagrange Points to orbital points and releasing dropships immediatly into high orbit. Mech sized and Infantry sized drop cacoons bulleting into atmosphere being launched from Transports that were impossible large.

Hanse comments to Morgan, "that is a interesting Sim, Only if that world was real"

Morgan turns toward Hanse, his eyes expression showing Horror and possible Madness, "That View is being beamed by updated (by Ngo) versions of our Black Boxes from a world over 1000 LY away with delays of only 10 sec. Ngo has a two way com line set up to give basic orders to what she calls Virtual Intelligence on each unit down to powered Armored suits."

Morgan's manic grin is really starting to creep out Hanse, "She said it was an exercise of her 'Mini Computers' to Construct Units and Interact over Distance. She SAID, it would be better to test it in There side of the Void, instead of here!"

In the Holo Tank, Corvette sized ships, with impossible weapons numbers for their size, Clear the Orbitals, Then More Craft move in and Start releasing TANKS into the orbitals, that start moving down into atmosphere while maintaining a relatively close formation.
On Sian, Sun-Tzu Liao suddenly wakes in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat and his heart pounding like a drum...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 01 July 2020, 19:14:49 »
Right now, Hanse and Melissa are the firsts ones looking at Liz's work. wait til the Master and his minions get their hands on it...  >:D :laughing_skull:
That can never happen
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #54 on: 01 July 2020, 22:26:52 »
That can never happen
  IKR?  If anyone needs me, I’m going to be over in a corner, still stuck on the fact that glancing at irregularities in AFFC munitions supply-lines wound up with her brushing past evidence of corporate peculation, and hints that someone has been hobbling humanity’s understanding of hyperspace theory, to building a prototype Screamer not twelve hours later... [terrified gibbering intensifies]

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 02 July 2020, 06:32:00 »
"it's all wrong.  wrong, wrong, no, that wouldn't work, wrong.."

Katherine found Elizabeth in the study again.  Her suggestion for rolls of butcher-paper had been taken seriously, and the entire library-like space was now draped in diagrams, more equations, and hand-drawn images.

3 AM and Elizabeth was still hard at work since Hanse had given her the 'puzzle' two and a half days ago.

"oh, hey Katrina." Liz didn't even look up, "Did you know that stupid people can still write naval doctrines that nobody is willing to challenge generations later? even after it fails catastrophically?"

"Mad scientist to Admiral now?" Katherine teased.

"Um, no.  Admirals have to be able to lead people and I can barely comprehend people."  Liz said absently.  "This doctrine is all wrong.  It not only does't make sense based on supply and costs, but it also doesn't make sense because it relies on your enemy doing what you want him to do instead of doing the smart thing."

Elizabeth was chewing on the end of a roll of cinammon bark-raw cinammon, straight from the tree, as she worked.

"care to show me?" Katherine asked.

"here-see? six chapters centrally located in these training manuals, SLDF, Terran, and Federated Suns, all about how to conduct a ramming attack." Elizabeth looked up, meeting Katherine's eyes, "Only, this isn't the 12th century BCE, these aren't galleys, cornered in a narrow inlet, powered by oars an sails, and it's not North American in the 1860s either, fighting on rivers with narrow channels and steep banks...so at least half these operational manuals are wrong.  a fleet that follows this doctrine will destroy a fleet, sure-itself, and cripple the Nation that built it.  I can't believe people entrusted with billions of Kroner in public property would be that stupid-that they could get to that position while being that stupid."

"I...didn't know you were editing training manuals now."

"Oh, I'm not." Liz said, "not officially.  the main problem His Majesty your father gave me to solve was a simple logistics and engineering problem-the solution's on the table over there, along with a list of contractors to use, and contractors to refuse."

"To...refuse?"

"Too much waste in overruns and delays, not reliable, don't use them." Liz said with a shrug, "simple math-if someone has the capacity, and expresses the desire, and then screws you for more money? don't use them again.  It's cheaper to build up a new company that wants to fill the contract, than it is to keep dealing with an old company that's mastered the art of screwing the taxpayer.  It's all in the datastic.  I've sent a couple copies to the archive and of course, the hardcopy backup, but it's all mostly there.  Simple task, hard to accomplish but simple."

"How do you mean hard?"

"Ever had a bad relationship?" Elizabeth asked.  "I've been looking into human psychology and got into looking at abusive relationships-the simple answer is to end it, but the ending it gets super-complicated because of feelings and dependencies.  same thing with business relationships-your suppliers are screwing you, but they're political supporters because you've let them screw you for a long time and they want to keep screwing you. sever the relationship, you lose the political supporters, which is objectively a long-term good, but it's a lot of short term pain, and maybe cost/benefit doesn't favor it if there's any weaknesses in your political position-you end up having to either eat the pain of lost supporters, or keep enduring the constant screwing over."

"Human relationships...you were looking at your relationship with your parents."

"Nah, but it does fit. Nope, it was more me looking at why didn't Dad dump my mom when it became obvious they couldn't stand each other, didn't share the same values, and so on."  Liz sighed, "Dad kept mom on because he needed the connections with the Russel family for his career, and he didn't want to go back to being a one-horse border lord on the periphery of the Commonwealth."

"Is that how YOU see it?" Katherine asked, intrigued in spite of herself.

"Nope, but then, I'm actually proud of my people, and my big brother's proving me right." Elizabeth stated, "He married Evvie Mosovich, I got pics in the mail, they've turned things around back home, and AFFC is getting the return of the 171." she smiled, an expression rarely seen.

something caught Katherine's eye.  "What's this?" she asked.

"navy." Liz stated, "Even once we have the RX-79 program going full bore, the problem's goin to be staffing and crewing, developing a WORKING doctrine, and having replacements and training in the pipe to keep it going.  Also escorts and ships that can handle smaller jobs...so I...well, copied someone else's work a lot, and made some refinements and calculations.  We can build those sloops for the cheap, using lower tech yards meaning more suppliers gearing up for better in the future, and use 'em to develop doctrine and crewing for the bigger ships so they aren't commanded and staffed by greenies who just dropped out of 'mech school."

NOW Katherine understood,  "You're editing the doctrine manuals as part of that proposal!"

"Ja, Mein Herr." Liz said, "Working doctrine, not stupid doctrine.  The Clans can't crush our ground forces if they can't land."

Katherine pushed aside a pile of butcher paper and sat down on a couch, facign Liz.  "You do know who the Clans are?"

"I read the report." Liz said, "They're the bastard descendants of Kerensky's Deserters, they're trying to take what their ancestors threw away and abandoned for themselves."

Katherine sighed, "and how do you feel about that?" she asked.

"I want to kill them all." Elizabeth stated, "They embrace blood libel, the practice of laying the sins of the father on the children.  held to their own standards, we should be doing everything we can to exterminate them root and branch as the traitors their ancestors proved to be.  I have some fun ideas for doing that, if you want to take a look?"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 02 July 2020, 06:47:19 »
Katherine: "Of course, Liz, I would love to see your work.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #57 on: 02 July 2020, 07:12:13 »
Katherine: "Of course, Liz, I would love to see your work.
Kat needs to be added to the list of people never to be allowed access to Liz's work...

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 02 July 2020, 07:14:26 »
Kat needs to be added to the list of people never to be allowed access to Liz's work...

Ahh, but is [size=78%]this the good Kath or the Evil Kath?[/size]
-Me

- Socrates

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 02 July 2020, 07:31:32 »

Ahh, but is this the good Kath or the Evil Kath?

I believe she's the Good Kat from I have seen so far.