Author Topic: Money for Mercing: The home of Mercenaries  (Read 10047 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Re: Money for Mercing: The home of Mercenaries
« Reply #60 on: 18 April 2018, 11:36:00 »
So here is a new question for the merc-playing vets here... if you were to start all over making a brand new unit today:

1. What size unit would you start with? (Lance, Company, etc)
2. What era would you initiate the unit creation in?
3. What era would you initiate the gameplay in? (Different from #2 in that you could create a unit in SW3 and offline advance to the CI to build up backstory, characters, etc)
4. What is your favorite origin faction and why? (Just because you came from there doesn't mean you play there or ever affiliate with it.)

1, I would go with a company. Large enough to get jobs, small enough to keep costs down.
2 & 3. I would go just prior to the clan invasion for both.
4. I have always gone with descnedents of an older merc unit that went bust or just closed shop.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 18 April 2018, 12:02:10 »
1. What size unit would you start with? (Lance, Company, etc) Company
2. What era would you initiate the unit creation in? Pre 4SW
3. What era would you initiate the gameplay in? (Different from #2 in that you could create a unit in SW3 and offline advance to the CI to build up backstory, characters, etc) Post 4SW, but pre-Clan Invasion
4. What is your favorite origin faction and why? (Just because you came from there doesn't mean you play there or ever affiliate with it.) Periphery, preferably the Rimward side
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 18 April 2018, 17:05:47 »
So here is a new question for the merc-playing vets here... if you were to start all over making a brand new unit today:

1. What size unit would you start with? (Lance, Company, etc)
2. What era would you initiate the unit creation in?
3. What era would you initiate the gameplay in? (Different from #2 in that you could create a unit in SW3 and offline advance to the CI to build up backstory, characters, etc)
4. What is your favorite origin faction and why? (Just because you came from there doesn't mean you play there or ever affiliate with it.)

1. Lance of Mechs, with attached vehicle company + infantry platoon.
2. The Jihad
3. Early Republic era (maybe around 3081-85 to capitalise on that loose, instability that makes merc work fun)
4. Hmm... because of the particular era, I’m going to say the former FWL. Maybe originating in what becomes the Marik Comonweath.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #63 on: 18 April 2018, 17:57:59 »
1) Company to batallion. I tend to find that's the scale that's most easy to manage and get into the detail of. I find anything bigger then a regiment to be boring.

2) Dark Age, so anything from 3130 onward

3) As above

4) Nothing solid; really it depends on what I think is a good backstory. Although a post-Blackout unit could have its origins in the crumbling Republic

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #64 on: 18 April 2018, 19:22:21 »
1. Combined arms company.  Probably not much more than a lance of 'mechs.
2. 3SW
3. 3-4SW... anything clan really doesn't hold my interest at all...
4. FWL, hands down. Veterans of Anton's Revolt are SO easy to make into mercs...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #65 on: 18 April 2018, 19:32:52 »
1) Less than a Lance or Combines Arms Company.
2) Anytime, but prefer pre-4SW.
3) 3000+ before the Dark Ages, or alternatively an AU that includes the Dark Ages.
4) House Kurita -> House Marik, currently House Liao, or any House that isn't being applied in-game.

I've made pre-FedCom, pre-Augmented Liao, and Word of Blake units in 3025 era. I've ran Here be Pirates, Arrgh! and even Marian Hegemony units before. I'm very resourceful in my creations.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #66 on: 20 April 2018, 21:11:24 »
#1  Combined arms company . . . lance or two of mechs, some armor and infantry.  Maybe a VTOL or CF for giggles.
#2  War of 3039 build up, some noble who has money and wants to build connections creates a 'company' to raise his standing
#3  Same as #2, might offline 3042-3048
#4  the Hansa could be fun- man of mystery!

Except for #1, this all varies . . . first one was a 3060 Chaos March unit, then I went 3130s, and then built one to test playing through MechCommander.  I have written and fluffed many more to be the opposition, allies or just they meet in passing.  Some where written as era specific, some have generic options where they can be applied at any point.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
« Reply #67 on: 21 April 2018, 23:17:18 »
1# So I like to start new mercenary units around the Lance to Company level. Generally, with some infantry and logistics in support. If the unit it flush with cash and tech then maybe they have a Lance of Aerospace support as well, or even a dropship.

2&3# Given the many campaigns I’ve played, I really have enjoyed putting together a unit in the 3rd Succession War era, and then playing out a great campaign. This way the unit’s history is organic, and you get to have some great long campaigns. However, many of my units come to a horrible end with the Clan Invasion, or the Jihad. And I have played several campaigns where we were throwing together units for the Chaos March, Civil War/Jihad eras.

4# This one is a little hard to narrow down, but I do tend to play a lot of ex-Lyran or Marik characters when throwing this kind of campaign together. But mostly it just depends on what I feel like the character fits.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #68 on: 22 April 2018, 15:38:01 »
Hey Drewbacca,

I started this a few years (and board crashes) ago.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=726.0

Deathknight69
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #69 on: 22 April 2018, 16:09:19 »
Hey Drewbacca,

I started this a few years (and board crashes) ago.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=726.0

Deathknight69

Thanks, Deathknight69!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #70 on: 22 April 2018, 17:44:05 »
 :o OMG... he LIVES.

What up DK69?  :thumbsup:

TT  >:D
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Verloren Hoop

• Sergeant
  • Forlorn Hope
« Reply #71 on: 15 May 2018, 14:31:56 »
I’m looking for information on the 21st Centauri Lancers in the Republic and Dark Age eras.  I can’t find anything in FM: 3145 or the Era Report.  Any information on what they’re doing now?  Who they’re working for?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #72 on: 15 May 2018, 14:45:48 »
Well . . . they were active in the Dark Ages, did you check ER Dark Ages?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Verloren Hoop

• Sergeant
  • Forlorn Hope
« Reply #73 on: 15 May 2018, 15:19:55 »
  :-[

You’re right—I checked the Era Digest: Dark Age. And there is a paragraph about them facing the Lyran Rangers on Towne in 3133.   There are so many different sourcebooks, I need to reorganize all my digital files. 

Thanks for the help!  It’s not a lot of information, but it’s a start. 

Register