Author Topic: Tell me about the Hunchback IIC  (Read 7801 times)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Tell me about the Hunchback IIC
« on: 07 April 2018, 20:37:36 »
So I was thinking about the clan version on the hunchy. 
I was playing HQ and a mechwarrior piloting one of them showed up and since it was clan tech I hired them and their ride immediately. 
That made me wonder about how common the HB IIC is in the sphere. 
Since no clan warrior worth their salt would choose the damned thing if they had any other choice, the usual pilot would not be so difficult for a spheroid mechwarrior to defeat, before even considering that the basic tactics they are used with are just berserker charges, to get some glory before they die. 
Given that I would think they would be a semi common salvage for spheroids to get as compared to other clan rides. 

While a clanner may hate the ride a spheroid warrior would probably consider it a good ride, especially when viewed against most introtech mechs. 
Keeping the two UAC 20 in working order might be a bit of a challenge but it doesn't seem impossible. 
And even given ridiculous clan tolerances making the ammo should be possible for most sphere planets even if each round had to be hand tooled. 
Expensive and labor intensive sure, but do able.   

Even with the cannons dry or broken a pair of ER Mediums is still better firepower than most introtech rides of a similar weight. 

So would a working Hunchback IIC be seen as a status symbol in the sphere?  Or is it disdained there too? 
Would Mercs seek them out or would they be more of a house unit? 

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: Tell me about the Hunchback IIC
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2018, 20:50:29 »
 I salvaged one from a head shot in a campaign long ago, put 1/2 pilot with the jumping jack skill in it and it became a holy terror for opposing forces when not in open ground. Hills, urban, woods became his hunting grounds. He was finally killed in action after piloting it for over 10 years with IIRC 30+ kills in it.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2018, 21:32:54 »
It's a hilariously ridiculous design.  It can murder someone, IF it can survive getting there.  And only one someone, because then you're out of ammo.

I see it as a design to get a warrior back to prominence, glory in a salvo or two, destroying a much larger or more dangerous enemy.

The Heavy Laser version is just a hilarious Easy-Bake (the pilot) Oven.

They're fun.  They aren't good, but they are fun.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2018, 21:37:39 »

this is the most accurate and succinct description of a hunchie IIC I've read yet.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2018, 22:42:37 »

They aren't good as clan machines go, but when you compare them inner sphere machines they don't look so bad anymore. 

So I guess my question does the inner sphere think they are bad rides like the clans do.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2018, 02:41:07 »
I still think the IS have more mechwarriors than functional mechs. So any mech would be good to avoid becoming dispossessed.

That said a merc unit can make good use of a Hunchback IIC. But for a small unit it might be too costly. Even more so for a single merc warrior without support. In times of a good market it might be the better way to sell it and buy something, that is easier to maintain.

In my old clan campaign i had to drive a Hunchback IIC and fought for the right to modify it. I changed one of the ACs for 2 LRM-20. That one had 2 tons of ammo for LRM and AC each and had Medium Pulsers at the cost of the additional DHS. That ride gives me some advantages. Still weak armor, but good firepower at all ranges.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2018, 09:28:25 »
Clan or Inner Sphere.   Either pilot is going to not be that happy with the lack of armor or secondary weapons.

I think even an inner sphere pilot would (like a Clanner) consider them a "suicide ride".

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2018, 10:05:56 »
So I guess my question does the inner sphere think they are bad rides like the clans do.

An Inner Sphere pilot won't like a lack of speed, combined with a lack of armor, coupled with a very short range design anywhere except in a forest or a city.  And since Inner Sphere mentality sits much more towards longer campaigns and drawn out engagements, the heinous lack of ammo will also be a liability.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2018, 12:02:48 »
so it comes down to how badly you need the equipment.

if i'm desperate for gear, even a locust 1M is coming along.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2018, 13:48:13 »
Well,  much of Battletech has made much of what a big deal it is for a MechWarrior to be "dispossessed" (losing his/her mech one way or the other) one can assume that a MechWarrior would be happy just to get any new ride.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2018, 14:44:53 »
Well,  much of Battletech has made much of what a big deal it is for a MechWarrior to be "dispossessed" (losing his/her mech one way or the other) one can assume that a MechWarrior would be happy just to get any new ride.

And then, if possible, modify his new ride to match his fighting style...

As the others have said, the Hucnhback IIC, any model, is a 'Mech made to murder another, and/or die in the attempt, thus to provide one last chance at glory...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2018, 15:30:32 »
What's funny is I just played a tabletop game yesterday with these.

A Clan Hells Horses Nova vs Jade Falcon Nova!

They used all Omni: a Kit Fox E, a pair of Stormcrow G's, a Hellbringer Prime and a Turkina C with Standard Toads ( 25 ).

I brought a Star of Hunchback IICs, mostly 1's, and only 2 3's as support along with 5 Points of Fast Recon Infantry. Made sure I took out the Turkina first with ATM fire before I started taking down the Stormcrows...

After 5 hours of real time, I was down with 2 mechs, 1 each ATM and Standard both heavily damaged and their Kit Fox that kept none stop jumping, the limping Hellbringer and a few half dead Points Toads ( 3, 4, 2 left, rest gone ). Time wasn't on my side, but I could have won. Still had a full ton of Ultra ammo left.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2018, 17:04:09 »
An Inner Sphere pilot won't like a lack of speed, combined with a lack of armor, coupled with a very short range design anywhere except in a forest or a city. 

Funny thing is I just picked up a garrison contract, which seems perfect for it. 
4/6/4 is great in a city or other built up area. 
Put up some LRM or PPC turrets to harass things at range and hide one or more of these in whatever you need to protect and wait for the salvage to come to you. 

Otherwise yeah I am starting to think the tissue paper armor is gonna be a turn off to any one who isn't used to piloting a rifleman or something else chronically under armored.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2018, 17:10:09 »
I wonder...

Would a Liao Urbie pilot love a Hunchy IIC over his old ride?  ;D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2018, 22:32:13 »
The funny thing is that the Urbanmech variant with the LB-10X actually has a reasonable chance of crippling a Hunchback IIC before it can get close enough to return fire, especially if you balance the BV disparity with a better pilot.

Really, given the value of Clantech in the Inner Sphere, I think that the best thing one could do with a captured Hunchback IIC would be to sell it.  You'd probably get a good enough value for it to buy, or at least put a big payment toward another mech that wasn't such a death trap and had parts that were a lot easier to get locally, like a Starslayer or IS Hunchback.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2018, 01:36:37 »
Would love to see some IS refits of the mech. Swayback IICs that sell-off the UAC20s to put more common weapons on.

In a matched BV game, the Hunchback IIC is there to let you boost the BV of another mech or pilot. Doing this and then using the deathtrap to trash your opponent's Timber Wolf is really satisfying.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2018, 12:15:56 »
If you own a salvaged Hunchie IIC and you did anything other than 'make a beeline for Solaris, run don't walk', you did it wrong. It's not a real battlefield unit, certainly not the Inner Sphere style of combat anyway. But Solaris? This is a duelist's joy. Paint it bright colors, blow holes the size of trucks in opponents, and don't stop until you're either dead or retired to a yacht the size of an Overlord.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2018, 15:00:49 »
If you own a salvaged Hunchie IIC and you did anything other than 'make a beeline for Solaris, run don't walk', you did it wrong. It's not a real battlefield unit, certainly not the Inner Sphere style of combat anyway. But Solaris? This is a duelist's joy. Paint it bright colors, blow holes the size of trucks in opponents, and don't stop until you're either dead or retired to a yacht the size of an Overlord.

I like this.  Well put, sir.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2018, 16:28:49 »
To be honest - a Hunchback IIC in your own line is a perfect cover for other more valuable mechs while you approach to the enemy.
I haven't seen the opponent that ignores a Hunchback IIC at long ranges. The Hunchback will draw all the enemies fire while the rest of your star can close in relatively save. Even if the TN for the Hunchback is worse than some others - most gamers want to avoid those UAC20 coming close.

Wait - yes i've seen one opponent ignoring the Hunchback IIC. But in that game my Hunchback killed 3 mechs in 3 rounds in a row after he closed. So that is a bad idea.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 11 April 2018, 17:33:13 »
I read that in the fluff IS pilots who captured them, took out one of the UAC and added armor.  As of the moment i know, it's just fluff variant.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2018, 18:00:51 »
Dropping an UAC/20 and maxing out armor still leaves 7.5 tons free as well.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2018, 20:57:32 »
I read that in the fluff IS pilots who captured them, took out one of the UAC and added armor.  As of the moment i know, it's just fluff variant.

I've never read that before but I was just going to mention adding more armor shouldn't be the most difficult modification to a 'Mech. Neither should adding more ammo or heat sinks.

That said, if a merc outfit were to get one, depending on the unit they really can't be too choosy. Most merc groups don't have the best connections so they wouldn't be able to just unload the 'Mech anywhere. And if it did go on the black market, someone is eventually going to buy it and use it.   

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2018, 21:13:54 »
I've never read that before but I was just going to mention adding more armor shouldn't be the most difficult modification to a 'Mech. Neither should adding more ammo or heat sinks.
It's was in TRO: 3058 Upgrade in the Capabilities part near end of the section.
Quote from: TRO:3058 Upgrade
Many Inner Sphere pilots refuse to pilot an unmodified Hunchback IIC salvaged from a
battlefield, stripping out at least one Ultra for more armor and other weaponr
y.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2018, 21:15:00 »
I think that a hard-off unit would probably be much better served by selling off a Hunchback IIC as fast and in as best condition as possible.  The Hunchie has a Clan XL Engine and Clan Endosteel.  That's going to make it more difficult and expensive to keep running.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2018, 21:22:20 »
I don't know...

IF I happen to have a Blackjack Omni... that clan 200XL looks mighty good. And hell I could just use the mech as a walking spare parts, until the engine comes out.

A Cockpit is a Cockpit, same as Sensors and Life Support... clan DHS that are built into the engine would go a long way, but the others would allow me to repair any other clan mech I have.

Walking Salvage...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #26 on: 12 April 2018, 00:47:14 »
It's was in TRO: 3058 Upgrade in the Capabilities part near end of the section.

Oh neato. Good to see that I'm not the only one who's stayed up at night pondering this.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #27 on: 12 April 2018, 03:54:53 »
Would love to see some IS refits of the mech. Swayback IICs that sell-off the UAC20s to put more common weapons on.

Swayback... hahaha. In Posture Swayback is when your pelvis is way forward.

Anyways. Not a bad mech for city defense. hide it behind something. kill something. Go get more ammo. rinse, repeat. Rich mans urbanmech.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #28 on: 12 April 2018, 03:55:46 »

I wish the forums had like buttons. haha.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #29 on: 12 April 2018, 07:43:28 »
I owe an apology. There IS a use in a line military for a Hunchie IIC.

Marik.

Oh stop throwing fruit and listen, dammit!

See here's the thing. Marik is all about units that function as part of a team, generally under an umbrella of LRMs. Well, LRM carrying units tend to suck at close-range combat usually (Trebuchet, Archer, Longbow, etc. aren't known for brawling, but ARE Marik-y flavored in general). Bodyguard units, then, are pretty handy to have. Anvils, Ontos (Ontoses? Ontosii?), Hunchbacks... basically, something that makes an interloper think twice before trying to tango with your Archers.

Take it from an old salt. Anything that puts me in a position where I have to run up in the face of a pair of Ultra-20s and what are essentially a pair of IS large lasers, I'm going to strongly reconsider my options. You and your LRM batteries are jerks and I'm not happy with you.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+