Author Topic: Comstar HPG Station: Your Friendly Local Service Provider  (Read 5293 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Not sure if anyone has started this yet, and a search did not come up with anything, but here is a thread for Comstar fans. Have at it.

Frabby

• Major
Re: Comstar HPG Station: Your Friendly Local Service Provider
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 05:56:54 »
Ho hum. ComStar is dead and buried, and only shadows and ghost stories of the WoB remain.
I liked ComStar as the "sixth House" and was sorry to see them go, feeling it killed a small bit of core BattleTech. But they're not coming back.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2018, 06:20:26 »
Ho hum. ComStar is dead and buried, and only shadows and ghost stories of the WoB remain.
I liked ComStar as the "sixth House" and was sorry to see them go, feeling it killed a small bit of core BattleTech. But they're not coming back.

Comstar is never dead. :-D Just ask Tucker!

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 13:47:50 »
I have a question: Which mech would you consider the iconic Comstar mech?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2018, 13:54:45 »
R A I J I N

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2018, 14:06:03 »
Iconic?  Anything painted white...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2018, 14:25:56 »
I have a question: Which mech would you consider the iconic Comstar mech?

I know it's technically SLDF and other factions use them too, I always think of the Black Knight from the cover of Fall of Terra. When I think 'Comstar', that's what pops into my mind before the logo or anything else- white Black Knights.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2018, 14:40:53 »
I know it's technically SLDF and other factions use them too, I always think of the Black Knight from the cover of Fall of Terra. When I think 'Comstar', that's what pops into my mind before the logo or anything else- white Black Knights.

This was the first thing to pop into my head too. It seems to be the go to for Comstar art that is not a post-Tuk build.

On that note, one thing I was never clear on is what kind of salvage did Comstar get out of Tuk?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2018, 14:52:17 »
This was the first thing to pop into my head too. It seems to be the go to for Comstar art that is not a post-Tuk build.

On that note, one thing I was never clear on is what kind of salvage did Comstar get out of Tuk?

It's tough to say, honestly. There were no shortage of Clan Mech carcasses laying about, one would think (god, imagine dredging the Prezno river of all those flooded Falcon Guards Mechs from their crossing!), but as we know from sources like the Avatar's writeup in TRO:3058 it was tricky getting Clan gear to run for IS technicians. (Thus that machine's hardwired medium lasers, in case of pod failure).

Now, Comstar had more skilled techs than the Successor States, of course- they were maintaining SLDF-style tech, after all, something that by this point only elite house units were being equipped with. But Clan tech might have still been tricky to deal with- especially since getting intact units was likely rare.

So, by volume? Plenty of salvaged Clan gear. How much of it was useful within the first six months? Not a lot, I'd wager. (Factor in that much of what could be moved by the Word when the schism took place probably was hijacked!). We DO know that enough gear was salvaged to equip the 'Invader Galaxy', though I recall that was mostly IS units re-equipped with Clan equipment (and tactics) rather than using actual Clan Mechs.

I'd bet that by the time the Jihad arrived over Tukkayid, there were STILL plenty of Clan units- maybe even Com Guards- laying abandoned for a decade and a half, simply because there's only so much time in the day and a whole planet to scour to find them.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2018, 16:23:16 »
(god, imagine dredging the Prezno river of all those flooded Falcon Guards Mechs from their crossing!)

Imagine dredging the Devil's Bath! I would love to see a story of some comstar tech finding the missing Goliath Scorpion mechs in a mudhole.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2018, 18:02:44 »
Imagine dredging the Devil's Bath! I would love to see a story of some comstar tech finding the missing Goliath Scorpion mechs in a mudhole.

And that's how the Com Guard ended up with a Sun Spider.

With that being said, I'd agree with the trend so far; when I think "Com Guard" I tend to think of the 2750 SLDF 'Mechs. The "Clanbuster" Black Knight is probably the most iconic of them, simply because of the hatchet
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2018, 18:11:33 »
And that's how the Com Guard ended up with a Sun Spider.

A what now

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2018, 21:40:12 »

That or the Shootist would be my choice.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2018, 23:57:58 »
A what now

I think he meant Battle Cobra.

So me its either the Black Knight, Shootist or that guy to my left.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2018, 00:26:35 »
No, I meant Sun Spider. Because I cannot think of anyhting more awesome then a quasi-canon Goliath Scorpion Omni turning up somewhere completely random and unexpected.

I'm like that.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2018, 02:04:26 »
It's tough to say, honestly. There were no shortage of Clan Mech carcasses laying about, one would think (god, imagine dredging the Prezno river of all those flooded Falcon Guards Mechs from their crossing!), but as we know from sources like the Avatar's writeup in TRO:3058 it was tricky getting Clan gear to run for IS technicians. (Thus that machine's hardwired medium lasers, in case of pod failure).

Now, Comstar had more skilled techs than the Successor States, of course- they were maintaining SLDF-style tech, after all, something that by this point only elite house units were being equipped with. But Clan tech might have still been tricky to deal with- especially since getting intact units was likely rare.

So, by volume? Plenty of salvaged Clan gear. How much of it was useful within the first six months? Not a lot, I'd wager. (Factor in that much of what could be moved by the Word when the schism took place probably was hijacked!). We DO know that enough gear was salvaged to equip the 'Invader Galaxy', though I recall that was mostly IS units re-equipped with Clan equipment (and tactics) rather than using actual Clan Mechs.

I'd bet that by the time the Jihad arrived over Tukkayid, there were STILL plenty of Clan units- maybe even Com Guards- laying abandoned for a decade and a half, simply because there's only so much time in the day and a whole planet to scour to find them.

it is also probable that they prioritized their salvage based on how difficult it would be relative to what they'd get. which might explain how they wound up with so many Battle Cobra's to reverse engineer. the Vipers fought on open plains (where they were pounded by artillery and airstrikes.. woudl have left a lot of battle Cobra's down and out), and then the thermal fields of Devil's Bath, where you have to figure plenty of viper mechs just mired in deep mud or fell into pools and were abandoned. hauling them out might be a chore.. but intact mechs are intact mechs. (or nearly so anyway)
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 02:13:34 by glitterboy2098 »

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2018, 02:18:47 »
but intact mechs are intact mechs. (or nearly so anyway)

I just suddenly thought of the McKenzie Brothers album, the hit single portion with Geddy Lee "Ten bucks is ten bucks, eh."

I was not certain if they actually went into the salvage anywhere. I would think the efforts increased when the Word took Terra. With Comstars HQ moved to Tuk, they probably made the decision to use everything they could, ever if it was just melting down components or canabalizing for parts.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 27 April 2018, 03:44:12 »
Tessen, just because.

I wonder what the RATs say though.

Frabby

• Major
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 27 April 2018, 06:02:13 »
This: Sun Spider
Now that is an interesting write-up and some of those configurations look pretty good.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 27 April 2018, 06:58:31 »
This: Sun Spider

Oh MWO no wonder I’ve never heard of it

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 27 April 2018, 09:22:40 »
Along the lines of the salvage, what happened to the prisoners?

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 27 April 2018, 10:59:48 »
I'm thinking the Clans consider the Word of Blake as Inner Sphere Mandrills wearing white robes.  (Some without pants.)

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2018, 11:51:37 »
Along the lines of the salvage, what happened to the prisoners?

Well... remember that the Clans handle the whole 'prisoner' thing a little different than most. The chances of them being ransomed back to their original Clans, after the humiliating defeat on Tukkayid, is unlikely- after all, look how the Clans reacted to the truce. They (at least some) viewed that generation of warriors as 'stained', so why take them back? That leaves two options:

1) Bondsmen. Serve their new 'Clan' (Comstar) until they're allowed to become warriors again. One would think that with the losses taken and the Word's defectors making things even worse, it wouldn't take long for leadership to take the new (incredibly talented!) warriors at their word that they were trustworthy enough to join up. Hard to give solid numbers on this, of course. Odds are good that at least a few of these would have ended up as founding members of Invader Galaxy- who better to learn Clan tactics from than Clan warriors?

2) Bondsref. Not interesting in wearing white robes? Kill yourself. Likely a not-insignificant number of warriors would have taken this route, particularly from more hardline Crusader Clans like the Jaguars and Falcons.

There MAY have been an arrangement in place, this being a Clan-style trial for the planet, for a prisoner exchange. I'm not aware of one, but I also don't have books here at work. (That the Jaguars kept at least one Comstar warrior who later helped reveal the Exodus Road suggests that if there was an arrangement, not everyone was held to it).

+Crow T. Robot+

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2018, 12:58:08 »
I think the prisoners were simply exchanged with no loss of honor attached.  One of the novels regarding the Twilight of Clans would probably give the best explanation.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 28 April 2018, 11:12:48 »
Question for the Comstar Initiates out there, what is your opinion of the Champion?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #26 on: 28 April 2018, 15:44:02 »
The Champion 3P makes an acceptable heavy point man for an LRM heavy LII, with Grand Crusaders, Toyamas, and Vikings.

W
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2018, 09:37:10 »
When the Guards and Militia first began deploying, did Comstar keep thier SL designs secret or let the cat out of the bag there?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2018, 09:56:47 »
They openly deployed SL tech.
Rhonda Snord actually played to this with rumors that the up-teched Snord's Irregulars had bested ComStar forces somewhere and salvaged their equipment, to hide the fact that they had factually embezzled their SL tech lineup from House Steiner a decade or two earlier.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2018, 14:08:48 »
What is the general feeling towards the Grim Reaper. I would like to like it, but there seems to be a bit missing.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2018, 14:48:44 »
What is the general feeling towards the Grim Reaper. I would like to like it, but there seems to be a bit missing.
Tastes Griffin-ish.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2018, 14:55:30 »
Always been a nice design. Its not one of those "Oh my god, look what this did," but its a solid support design. And unless you alpha strike, its pretty forgiving on the heat. The main one that is.

The variants are odd due to them using c3 instead of c3i. But they're much of the same. TSM is there for times when you push the heat curve, but its an odd TSM. Its not really one you rely on, its there for when things have gone bad.

Tastes Griffin-ish.

Eh, the lack of jump jets sort of defeats that. More like a long range Wolverine maybe.

Again, it doesn't really suck. Even the variants are a c3-linked ERPPC/LRM combo which is pretty nice (and the LRMs have Artemis!)

I think its jut a trooper that gets kind of lost in everything else. Plus the two variants not really working with the standard WoB setup (not to mention the distinct lack of distinct c3 Master variants).

Edit
Of course, if the 30 and 31 are odd, the 62A is downright bizarre. You can sort of see the core of the mech with the MML and the Snub-Nose, but then you realize everything has migrated a bit, things are in a weird place, and how you manage to get a one off variant where you include IJJs is beyond me.

The Einar variant makes sense. "What happens if we salvage some Clantech and upgrade a Grim Reaper." Its not the best use of it perhaps, but it isn't the worse either.
/edit
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 15:06:40 by Maelwys »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2018, 15:10:12 »
the lack of a c3i variant is rather perplexing

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 03 May 2018, 17:15:57 »
Which is why i think come Jihad the Grim Reaper was relegated to 2nd line WOBM divisions, along with other C3S using equipment salvaged or captured.

Edit
Of course, if the 30 and 31 are odd, the 62A is downright bizarre. You can sort of see the core of the mech with the MML and the Snub-Nose, but then you realize everything has migrated a bit, things are in a weird place, and how you manage to get a one off variant where you include IJJs is beyond me.
Compare the GRF-6CS, SHD-11CS.

Avitue wasnt a brilliant pilot so maybe she didn't give much of a damn about her Mech, and had the tarcomp put in to help her aiming. That said this is my favourite variant though, it would well as a close range backstabber with a proper VDNI MD at the helm.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2018, 18:22:59 »
She's considered elite. I think the original record sheet for her has her as  0/1, while I believe the Turning Point with her in it suggests her as a 1/2.

But even if she wasn't much of a pilot and didn't give a damn....why the extreme modifications? I mean, if you had told me that she took a WoB Shadow Hawk and modified it to have Improved Jump Jets, then I'd go "yeah, okay," but in this case, they took a non-jumping Mech and modified it to not only jump, but to jump to almost the extreme end of its ability. Its not against the rules or anything, and presumably as a MD they could do whatever they want, but it always seemed odd to me from a fluff point of view.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 03 May 2018, 19:01:00 »
1/2 without VDNI is quite good but not like, MD ubercyborg good... I dunno. Will probably still jump rings around most opponents and Called Shot their weak points well.

Hero customs are supposed to reflect the character's fight style I think. So Avitue picked a Comstar Mech, one that's generally overlooked in favour of the 55ton classics, and modded it to do everything unexpected of the chassis. I'd say that's very... her.

Register