Author Topic: Future of Regulus?  (Read 8495 times)

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
Future of Regulus?
« on: 24 May 2018, 22:11:42 »
Hi everyone.  After a substantial hiatus where I stopped following BT around the kicking off of the Jihad and DA rearing its u*** head, I have returned as the upgraded IIC version of the base model.

I must say though that as a masochist my long-time preferred faction the Capellan Confederation has lost some of what made it so appealing.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I shed a tear or two of happiness when reading about the glories of the Victoria War but the CC as an Inner Sphere military powerhouse?  Sian Dragoons? Tikonov Guards? Liao Chargers?  Sigh, give me a quirky Warrior House or a unit of mercs known for their vanity (RIP Marshigama's Legionnaires) over a brigade of generic line units any day.

I've always found the Principality of Regulus pretty appealing both for their badass units and Liao-esque fanaticism and independent streak.  I was wondering if there is a good source (beyond Sarna.net) about the Regulans' actions during the Jihad and their anti-Blakist campaign as well as the little inter-FWL factional conflicts after the collapse of the FWL along the lines of Wars of the Republic Era?

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
Re: Future of Regulus?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2018, 09:36:49 »
The TRO:3150 says sanctions against the Regulan Fiefs sparked the assassination of Jessica Marik and a brief war between Oriente and Regulus that resulted in Regulus surrendering in July 3148.  It sounds like Regulus has been forcibly reincorporated into the new FWL.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2018, 11:34:02 »
Yeah, you would have to dig up the last of the MWDA novels which dealt with them as part of the FWL re-unification storyline.  But while its hinted at in that fiction we do not get anything covering their actions between Jihad & DA.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2018, 18:34:33 »
Field Manual 3085 is probably the last checkin from a sourcebook perspective. There isn’t much at all for anyone between 3085 and ca 3145. Wars of the Republic era, interstellar expeditions, and Era Digest: Dark Age are the only points of light before FM:3145/ER:3145.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 03:18:11 »
Jihad Turning Point: Terra and JTP: Final Reckoning have plenty of details about the Regulans' fight against the Blakists and why they're bat crap crazy.
That takes in the whole Gibson scouring and their subsequent nuking of any planet that ever even heard of the Word of Blake

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2018, 18:32:09 »
The TRO:3150 says sanctions against the Regulan Fiefs sparked the assassination of Jessica Marik
Darn, I was hoping for Jessica to stick around for a while given that she reunited the League.
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2018, 23:43:41 »
Well . . . she was old, it was her life goal- with the intent to pass it on to the proper child . . . but she had one killed, one crippled, one who felt overlooked who built their own powerbase, another who rejected his place yet still found his way to being a leader . . . and then her hoped for heir, who distanced herself a bit.  Sort of a ironic life in that she reached her goal, but will it survive her death?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 00:05:19 »
Well . . . she was old, it was her life goal- with the intent to pass it on to the proper child . . . but she had one killed, one crippled, one who felt overlooked who built their own powerbase, another who rejected his place yet still found his way to being a leader . . . and then her hoped for heir, who distanced herself a bit.  Sort of a ironic life in that she reached her goal, but will it survive her death?
I think it will.  Like every other Successor State, the Free Worlds League has survived worse.  Because I quite like the League (seriously it's the Hufflepuff House of Battletech), I'm just hoping it will hold together after Jessica's death. 
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2018, 08:37:53 »
The irony is that the reunited League, tenuous as it is, is probably more stable than most of its neighbors.

Think about it. From a security standpoint the Lyrans are obviously kind of busy with their own Clan infestation problem (you do NOT weaken a border shared with Malvina Hazen), and the Capellans are pretty focused on the Federated Suns. The Magistracy is all but a Capellan puppet state, so see the previous. There's the Marians, but they're not making a lot of noise at this point in time. So other than the chaos at the Republic border, you're really not in bad shape overall- you have a watchful eye on the Wolves, of course, but that's less 'worry' and more 'trust but verify'.

But the threat to the League has usually been 'internal' rather than 'external'. Now, the League is, as always, a fractured mess, because if it wasn't we wouldn't recognize the place, right? Cool. Look around at the neighbors. Three of the four other Successor States have had major upheaval in their royal families over the last few years- the FedSuns has stabilized at least with Julian's return, one can safely say that's the plan- for as long as New Avalon is free, at least. The Lyrans have had a rough time, and stabilization is still 'iffy', if pretty predictable (let's be real, Alaric's claim wouldn't hold up in court, or with the average Lyran citizen anyway). The Kurita clan has been all but wiped out, down to a bastard's line- and even that is tenuous with no heir that we know of. One assassin's dart or unchewed pretzel ends that line completely at this point. That leaves the Capellans, and while there's no question who runs that show it's a cult of personality- if Daoshen dies, whatever the cause, there's a whole mess of a succession line waiting to happen there. That leaves the Republic, and whether the actual central government there is really in charge at this point or just claim to be from behind their wall while the other Prefectures do their thing on their own is debatable (and whether they'd listen if the wall DID come down at this point is hard to say too- after all, they won't be happy, one would think, to have been abandoned by Levin...)

So, the League has secure borders, by Battletech universe standards at least, a fairly strong government, a newly united military with some heft to it... when the dust settles, where we see chaos from most states the FWL may actually be not only returned, but resurgent and even dominant for the first time since the 3050s.

We'll have to wait and see, of course. But if pride truly does goeth before the fall, the League's already had plenty of falls to practice on at least.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2018, 10:42:12 »
I am really looking forward to a resurgent FWL if they draw out the process and make it a nuanced struggle.  We didn't get as much attention on the Andurien Rebellion and how it was re-integrated in the 3030s aside from brief references about how their military went on to form the FW Legionnaires even though it seemed to have lasted several years.  Compare the same to the Capellan-St. Ives conflict which got two entire novels and a hefty chunk of their Field Manual to describe their reunification.

Given the Regulan Hussars' reputation for being the baddest units on the Marik block as well as their fanaticism and prolific use of nukes, I am hoping that they didn't just roll over and made the Mariks work for it.

I imagine the fact that the FWL was so fractured made it ripe grounds for campaigns that the FWL never had previously.  Peace, prosperity, stability, and strength might have been great for the FWL as a nation but they were left out of virtually every interesting conflict from 3025 up until the Jihad and those conflicts it did engage in didn't get much attention.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2018, 11:48:46 »
You really need to read Brush Wars then, its Anton's Revolt and the Andurien Crisis.

As for the FWL re-unification?  Its 4-6 books (depending on how you view POV) at the end of the MWDA line and they have a small chunk in Bonfire of Worlds.
Colt Ward

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2018, 14:33:29 »
Ah, my bad, I haven't really read many of the Dark Age novels.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2018, 11:12:24 »
Skipping early ones is generally a good idea.  I want to say the later ones that go through the FWL thread are . . .

Directly & in order
Pandora's Gambit
Fire At Will
The Last Charge
To Ride the Chimera

maybe . . .
Sword of Sedition
Fortress Republic
Principles of Desolation
Surrender your Dreams

also in order . . . The first three would deal with Thad Marik and the last is the RotS perspective on some of what happens in the direct FWL novels.  Keep in mind the epilogue of Surrender your Dreams was declared non-canon.
Colt Ward

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2018, 16:41:20 »
Thanks!  That's a huge help.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2018, 17:06:14 »
 Pandora's Gambit is a worthy read, and possibly the best novel in the Dark Age series in my opinion.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2018, 21:57:31 »
The TRO:3150 says sanctions against the Regulan Fiefs sparked the assassination of Jessica Marik and a brief war between Oriente and Regulus that resulted in Regulus surrendering in July 3148.  It sounds like Regulus has been forcibly reincorporated into the new FWL.

Who takes over for Jessica?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2018, 22:17:50 »
Its one of the things left in the air after TRO3150 . . . they sort of did cliffhangers for each house.  Right now IMO its likely Nichol with Kenyon a runner up.
Colt Ward

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2018, 04:32:58 »
Its one of the things left in the air after TRO3150 . . . they sort of did cliffhangers for each house.  Right now IMO its likely Nichol with Kenyon a runner up.

It’s intereting that Kenyon got his own BattleCorps series after being almost totally overlooked in the Dark Ages books - makes me wonder if TPTB took another look at him and decided he might be a real contender
He’s savvvy and has the name - I could see him as an accepted successor

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2018, 13:29:09 »
It’s intereting that Kenyon got his own BattleCorps series after being almost totally overlooked in the Dark Ages books - makes me wonder if TPTB took another look at him and decided he might be a real contender
He’s savvvy and has the name - I could see him as an accepted successor

More than the name, he's got the blood.  Jessica and her brood are not real Mariks, descended as they are from Fake Thomas.  Kenyon is Corrine Marik's grandson, making him a real Marik with a direct line to Janos through his son Paul.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2018, 13:38:08 »
Kenyon is Corrine Marik's grandson, making him a real Marik with a direct line to Janos through his son Paul.

...but does he have a purple eagle forehead tattoo

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2018, 13:53:23 »
... I doubt it, but I don't think we've ever had canon artwork of Kenyon II.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2018, 16:08:02 »
Darn, I was hoping for Jessica to stick around for a while given that she reunited the League.

Good riddance.

The government of the new Faux Worlds League is a farce.  :-\
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2018, 16:09:46 »
...but does he have a purple eagle forehead tattoo

Does he have toaster implants....  xp

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2018, 16:44:34 »
i'm just trying to gauge his loyalty. nothing says ride or die like a forehead tattoo

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2018, 19:37:55 »
i'm just trying to gauge his loyalty. nothing says ride or die like a forehead tattoo
If he does have one, screen him consistently for strokes--particularly when it would benefit a Davion.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2018, 19:49:12 »
Good riddance.

The government of the new Faux Worlds League is a farce.  :-\

Spoken like a true son of Regulus.  Which is to say, entirely too hung up on technicalities to appreciate the bigger picture*. ;)

*this post 98% in jest.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2018, 20:12:31 »
 They love us. They are already sharpening their throwing knives to help prepare for traditional League Christmas festivities, even though its not even January yet.

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2018, 22:38:46 »
They love us. They are already sharpening their throwing knives to help prepare for traditional League Christmas festivities, even though its not even January yet.

Nah, just loading up Santa's sleigh (actually a Mule) with some festive holiday fireworks...  :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2018, 00:29:22 »
May they all glow with merryment.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain