Author Topic: Battletech What Ifs  (Read 7947 times)

Lt_Jam

• Recruit
Battletech What Ifs
« on: 27 May 2018, 17:07:32 »
What are some of the best Battletech What Ifs youve seen online?  What'd you like about them?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Battletech What Ifs
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 17:26:52 »
I think Drakensis' "Davion and Davion (Deceased)" fan fiction was outstanding.  The storytelling was simply amazing.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 17:39:39 »
What if: Revival never happened/FASA never introduced the Clans.  Why it appeals to me:  Introducing codified LosTech was a necessary prepatory step to introducing Clan tech.. and Clan-tech broke BattleTech.  It used to be pick two: Firepower/Speed/Durability and with Clan-tech it's pick three.  Plus it's easy to hand-waive away machine guns with 90m range and missiles with 270m range as being the best that's possible after the apocalyptic Succession Wars.  "Obviously weapons were way better back in the Star League days"... but LosTech nukes that.   The successive regimes of powers that be never bother to re-examine what it means for the setting to break from technological stagnation to NewerBetterFasterTech.  You used to have endemic border raids because noone could maintain their water purifiers and the only way to get a new filter was to take one from your neighbors.  Less of an explanation for why people conduct cross-border raids when you can just make entire new BattleMechs/WarShips at the speed of plot..

What if: There Never Was a Clan Invasion v2: Another reason to love it is you could actually use the 20 Year Update SB as something other than a cruel head fake from FASA.  A Cold War between the juggernauts of the FC and ComStar with the fate of the Inner Sphere at stake?  It'd be an outstanding alternate setting.

What if: The Word of Blake managed to talk the Inner Sphere into going full on genocide on the Clans rather than failing and launching the Jihad:  It just simply would have been epic to have the Jihad as a reverse Revival rather than a gigantic Hissy Fit.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 18:05:29 »
Empires Aflame seemed popular when it came out. I thought the best part was Devlin Stone with a goatee.

I've gotten the impression from comments on the early Dark Age stuff that the Word of Blake war was supposed to be something different from what FanPro and Catalyst created. What if the Word of Blake actually had the resources to nearly conquer the inner sphere? What if Kittery had been on the front lines of a sphere-wide takeover instead of some weird random thing. What if the Blakist war had been profoundly more lengthy and destructive to humanity, making the Dark Age a much more major remapping of the game universe and setting than just a few modifications to the status-quo.

Then there's the classic what-if FASA never stopped, and we had more Good Prince Victor stories, including a much smaller Word of Blake war. Not so crazy about more Good Prince Victor stories.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 19:56:03 »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 20:02:29 »
While drakensis is excellent the finest fanfic, at least in novel form, that I've seen is Kerensky and Kurita by masterarminas. An exceptionally well told story that I highly recommend any BattleTech fan read.  :thumbsup:

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 20:11:46 »
I agree the Cameron Legacy stories. Set up an awesome AU that really needs further exploration.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2018, 21:52:20 »
since i don't give two farts about the overarching story or how it sensically or nonsensically evolves, i'm taking a different tact from a more under the hood perspective

What if they kept the rule from BattleDroids that all heatsinks must be placed on the critical table rather than being able to hide some or all in the engine? The dreaded Mad Cat poster boy for clan op nonsense suddenly finds itself 21 crit slots short. Even the lowly Dasher Prime barely fits everything.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2018, 03:11:08 »
My favorite what if was always, what if Comstar had completed Silver Shield. The thought of that "neutral" pseudonHegemony has always appealed to me. The House Lords could not have risked trying to get those worlds because of the threat of interdiction and the fact they would ne pretty certain all the tech they had bombed out of themselves would still be inside the Comstar Hegemony. Jump ahead to the clan invasion, the FedCom civil war and the schism happening back to back but with schism being likely even bigger and you have the makings of a real dark age.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2018, 09:00:08 »
since i don't give two farts about the overarching story or how it sensically or nonsensically evolves, i'm taking a different tact from a more under the hood perspective

What if they kept the rule from BattleDroids that all heatsinks must be placed on the critical table rather than being able to hide some or all in the engine? The dreaded Mad Cat poster boy for clan op nonsense suddenly finds itself 21 crit slots short. Even the lowly Dasher Prime barely fits everything.
Quads would take a hit. A lot of mechs would sacrifice hands and other boons.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2018, 09:04:01 »
It could certainly explain the lack of hands on a lot of 'mechs that should have them...

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2018, 23:26:55 »
What are some of the best Battletech What Ifs youve seen online?  What'd you like about them?

Blacknova has done a excellent setting where the Kapteyn powers strike first, along with some other surprises.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=60667.0

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2018, 08:50:06 »
What if the PPC bolt missed Ian Davion?

Give that one some thought for a moment. Think of the enormous impact Hanse had after taking the throne, not just in his own realm but across the Inner Sphere for the next few decades. His effects are still being felt a century after his death.

Consider this short list:

+Hanse agreed to the ideas of Katrina Steiner about peace, which lead to the alliance that eventually became the Federated Commonwealth. We don't know if Ian would have been interested in that idea or not- if so, it still looks very different, so this one is at best a 'maybe'.

+Even if Ian agrees to Katrina's ideas, Hanse likely never marries Melissa Steiner (why would she be offered up to someone who isn't due to take the throne?) Whether that means she marries Ian is questionable (likely though), but it means either way...

+Those five kids from Hanse and Melissa? You know, the ones that dominated Inner Sphere politics and battlefields alike for the next several decades? Victor, Katherine, etc.? They don't happen. Ian and Melissa, assuming we ship that couple, likely have a few kids of their own, but they won't be the Victor and co. that WE know. Which means the entire line of both Houses is muddy for years to come- after all, we're up to Hanse's great-grandchildren running things by the 3140s. We have to rewrite that whole lineage in both realms.

+No Civil War- well, okay, eventually it was bound to come one way or another, but not in the form we know it as, at least.

+How does the Clan invasion change? After all, Hanse surprised everyone with sending help to the Combine- would Ian have done the same, or let his ancient enemy perish at the hands of the Jaguars? Really, how would his own realm (assuming the FedCom still formed) weather the storm from the Falcons and Wolves?

Just a few thoughts, but it makes for a wildly different Inner Sphere through the pond-ripple effect- no realm is untouched by those changes. And all it would have taken is a single PPC bolt being a couple of meters wide of an Atlas' head...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2018, 09:14:27 »
On that note, what if Katrina Steiner really did disappear? Would any other Steiner have made the peace proposal? Would anyone hae bothered to listen?

What is Melissa survived the assasination attempt?

What if Victor and Omi had been an open couple? This one has FAR ranging effects. Maybe Katherine backs down from here power play because she does not want to face Victor's loyalists AND Combine troops. Of course the Black Dragons would still be against this and say they do manage to kill Omi after Kitsune is born. Kitsune gets into the Combine line a succession but Victor still turns to Isis. Now jump ahead post Jihad, say Isis, being a real Marik, rallies the other non-WOB aligned FWL factions, except of course for Regulus and makes a legitimate play for maybe not herself on the throne, but her descendents. The Kuritas go through the turmoil they go through and Kitsune steps in to lead. Vic's kids with Isis have claims to the Fedsuns, the Commonwealth, and the League, with one on the Combine throne! Things are looking pretty grim for Sun Tzu especially if Vic and Isis end up having three kids. One on New Avalon, one on Tharkad and one on Atreaus (spelling?), plus Kitsune on Luthien. Good lord, it is a Davionista dream come true!

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2018, 16:29:23 »
While my background knowledge is poor at best, an AU where there is a civil war between Ian and Hanse trying to get the throne seems like it would make some good reading.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2018, 18:40:01 »
I'd be inclined to think Hanse would have become at least a Marshal, and a scarily good one at that for his brother.  That would have profound impacts on either the Combine or the Confederation, but probably not both.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2018, 22:46:42 »
The NAIS may have been quite different if Ian had lived, if it was to be created at all. Not a big thing given the Helm database, but a potentially significant change for the FedSuns.

What if Duncan Marik won? If he had managed to secure his position and vanquish his rivals, would he have made the FWL more active militarily during the 3040s and 3050s, stepping up raids to invasions against the Sarna March and the CapCon? Would he have sat back laughing while the Clans tore through the old Lyran Commonwealth?

What if the Star Adders used Tanite brain slugs to control the other khans so they could run Operation Revival their way?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2018, 22:49:32 »

What if the Star Adders used Tanite brain slugs to control the other khans so they could run Operation Revival their way?

Obviously, there would be more people with Brain Slugs in the Inner Sphere by the time they were done.   :D
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2018, 23:13:34 »
Obviously, there would be more people with Brain Slugs in the Inner Sphere by the time they were done.   :D

Focht did warn Waterly about alien mind-control.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2018, 01:39:48 »
Beyond Far Country, wasn't there another canon story that described something close to an Alternate Universe where a Jumpship arrived a century later, or that a JS arrived to a different "dimension" (AU)?
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2018, 06:56:27 »
Living Legends was a 2nd ed rpg adventure where an experimental jumpship on Kerensky’s exodus misjumped and ended up over a Clan-occupied world. Hijinks ensue

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2018, 07:54:33 »

"Greetings, people of the Inner Sphere! We come bearing gifts- free hats!"
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2018, 08:02:36 »
I have two.   One semi-canon and other all fan fiction.

• Alternate Timeline with Thanks by DragonCat - Which is on part II now.
  • Empires Aflame by Herb, which was RPG Adventure of an misjump leading to Alternate universe where Kerensky is assassinated and SLDF remained with vengeance forming new version of the Hegemony, Terran Supremacy.  Which inspired a lot very well written fan made sourcebooks!
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 13:06:57 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2018, 10:43:18 »
Beyond Far Country, wasn't there another canon story that described something close to an Alternate Universe where a Jumpship arrived a century later, or that a JS arrived to a different "dimension" (AU)?

Empires Aflame kind of qualifies.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2018, 12:26:56 »
IIRC there was a thread in one of the previous iterations of the forums where you had a bunch of speculation alogn the lines of "what if focht's speculation about the clans being alien life forms stealing human DNA and forms was true?"
most of it was done very tongue in cheek with references to old monster movies.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2018, 14:52:59 »
What if TPTB didn't kill all my Warships & Production Facilities for their "post apocalypse" universe?

Ah for the days of the SLDF when having a battle with a regiment didn't represent a significant % the nations GDP.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2018, 15:47:03 »
IIRC there was a thread in one of the previous iterations of the forums where you had a bunch of speculation alogn the lines of "what if focht's speculation about the clans being alien life forms stealing human DNA and forms was true?"

Night of the Body Snatchers starring max liao

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2018, 18:50:32 »

Oh yeah, my old "THEY INVADE!" project. I never did finish that. :'(
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Brakiel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 04 June 2018, 11:32:27 »
Another good what-if is what if Tyra Miraborg missed ramming the Dire Wolf's bridge? It's said that a few meters in any direction and she would have missed it. ilKhan Leo Showers never gets killed, so there's never the year of peace that gets the IS the tiny breathing space it desperately needed after the relentless waves of attacks. There's no time for the Outreach summit, so the Houses never get organized to work even semi-cooperatively. That in turn means no or very few field refit kits, and there's no rapport that allows the FedCom to help the Combine like with Luthien or Teniente. Longer term, Victor, Hohiro, and Omi probably never meet in a less than formal setting, so that blows up pretty much everything post-Invasion. Likewise, Romano Liao doesn't get pushed over the edge while at Outreach, prompting her to finally assassinate Candace Liao and Justin Allard, and getting assassinated herself in retaliation. Sun Tzu doesn't rise to power immediately after, making the CapCon look entirely different as the Xin Sheng movement likely doesn't happen.

And it's not all sunshine and rainbows for the Clans either. For the Wolves, 1) Phelan wouldn't have performed the bridge rescue, meaning he doesn't prove himself as a bondsman and get adopted as a warrior (or at least, not until later), and 2) Natasha Kerensky doesn't get summoned back to the Wolves. This leaves a pretty big hole in future events, such as the capture of Gunzberg and the power structure of the Wolves post-Invasion. And since Leo Showers remains ilKhan, he likely doesn't activate the reserve Clans like the Nova Cats. Tukayyid or something like it would still have happened, but without Phelan at the Grand Council advocating for the Wardens, it's possible the Clans would have repudiated it anyways.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2018, 15:47:31 »
Another good what-if is what if Tyra Miraborg missed ramming the Dire Wolf's bridge? It's said that a few meters in any direction and she would have missed it. ilKhan Leo Showers never gets killed, so there's never the year of peace that gets the IS the tiny breathing space it desperately needed after the relentless waves of attacks. There's no time for the Outreach summit, so the Houses never get organized to work even semi-cooperatively. That in turn means no or very few field refit kits, and there's no rapport that allows the FedCom to help the Combine like with Luthien or Teniente. Longer term, Victor, Hohiro, and Omi probably never meet in a less than formal setting, so that blows up pretty much everything post-Invasion. Likewise, Romano Liao doesn't get pushed over the edge while at Outreach, prompting her to finally assassinate Candace Liao and Justin Allard, and getting assassinated herself in retaliation. Sun Tzu doesn't rise to power immediately after, making the CapCon look entirely different as the Xin Sheng movement likely doesn't happen.

And it's not all sunshine and rainbows for the Clans either. For the Wolves, 1) Phelan wouldn't have performed the bridge rescue, meaning he doesn't prove himself as a bondsman and get adopted as a warrior (or at least, not until later), and 2) Natasha Kerensky doesn't get summoned back to the Wolves. This leaves a pretty big hole in future events, such as the capture of Gunzberg and the power structure of the Wolves post-Invasion. And since Leo Showers remains ilKhan, he likely doesn't activate the reserve Clans like the Nova Cats. Tukayyid or something like it would still have happened, but without Phelan at the Grand Council advocating for the Wardens, it's possible the Clans would have repudiated it anyways.
Hanse and the Coordinator already exchanged Christmas cards. :)
 Likewise the Free Worlds League is ever bribable.  ;D