Author Topic: A Group of Jade Mechs  (Read 374 times)

JayS

• Private
A Group of Jade Mechs
« on: 13 April 2024, 21:46:12 »
Please enjoy my group of Jade colored Mechs (no specific unit).

JayS

• Private
Re: A Group of Jade Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2024, 21:46:57 »
Some of the individual Mechs.

JayS

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2024, 21:47:25 »
And the rest of the individual Mechs.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2024, 23:55:13 »
Looking excellent there! Walk us through the paint process, thanks?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JayS

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2024, 01:32:20 »
Having read through some of the other processes here, mine feels pretty basic, but here goes. .  .

1.) I started by removing as many mold lines as I could, and then added some basing texture (ProAcryl Fine Basing Texture) and a rock to each base.
2.) I then primed each Mech in black primer (Stynylrez) with my airbrush and added a zenithal highlight using white primer (Stynylrez).
3.) Using my airbrush, each Mech got a coat (or two) of Jade paint (ProAcryl).
4.) I used black paint (ProAcryl) for the accent panels and items like the antennas on the Zeus (which are from a tooth brush).
5.) I used gun metal paint (Army Painter) for all the weapons and Leadbelcher (Citadel) for the heat sinks, jump jets, and joints.
6.) The cockpit was done in Retributor Armor (Citadel) with a Seraphim Sepia shade (Citadel).
7.) Next, I gave it a clear gloss coat (Krylon spray).
8.) Once that dried, I used a panel liner (Tamiya) all over.  It was a rough combination of a pin wash and an overall wash.  Then I used white spirits to clean the panel liner from where I didn't want it.
9.) Time for another coat of gloss clear.
10.) I then applied the decals to each Mech (a combination of Fighting Piranha, Death Ray Designs, and decals from the Robotech Kickstarter Miniature Game).  I used a generous quantity of Micro Sol and Micro Set to help them settle onto each Mech.
11.) They then got another gloss clear coat.
12.) Next, using a small piece of sponge torn from the package from another miniature, I applied some Blackened Brown (MSP) sparingly around the Mechs to simulate rust and battle damage.
13.) I used three technical paints from Citadel for the weapon jeweling: Soulstone Blue for the large lasers and PPCs, Waystone Green for the medium lasers, and Spiritstorm Red for the small lasers.  For the auto cannons, Gauss Rifle, and machine guns, I simply made sure the insides were black using some Gravelord Grey Speedpaint 2.0 (Army Painter).
14.) For the base, I painting it Intense Brown (MSP) and washed it with a good coat of Agrax Earthshade (Citadel).  I also painted the rocks with a variety of grays (MSP).  Once that all dried, I applied some basing materials (Geek Gaming Scenics) using Elmer's glue.  The plants that I added were from Gamer's Grass.
15.) The base had the front painted in dark gray (MSP) and black (Maxx Darth from Green Stuff World) on the other sides.
16.) Then another coat of gloss clear and finally a coat of flat clear (Testors).
17.) Once everything was dried, I applied a coat of Future floor polish to the laser lenses and the canopy of each Mech so that they would have a bit of shine to them.

I think that is everything I did and I hope the information is helpful.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2024, 03:36:22 »
That's a very nice color tone. Well done!

And thank you for the step-by-step, always appreciated.
Jude Melancon lives!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2024, 06:21:50 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2024, 09:13:58 »
Love the colors, very well executed. Thanks for sharing the formula.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2024, 09:04:56 »
I’m not sure why, but that color works particularly well on the Zeus. Nice work!

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2024, 18:21:19 »
The green and black works very well with the silver. Nicely done!

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2024, 20:01:18 »
I’m not sure why, but that color works particularly well on the Zeus. Nice work!

Agree, and I’ll add that it does the same on the Crusader as well. Nice clean cohesive look. I like how you did the cockpits, too. Simple yet very effective.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2024, 01:42:39 »
I think that is everything I did and I hope the information is helpful.

Very!

I'm unlikely to use an airbrush, but I can't argue with the results. Out of interest, how much difference does the zenithal highlighting make? Seems it wouldn't show up that much under the other layers. Does it work with brush-on as well?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2024, 06:42:09 »
sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

JayS

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2024, 20:31:46 »

Out of interest, how much difference does the zenithal highlighting make? Seems it wouldn't show up that much under the other layers. Does it work with brush-on as well?

I like to think it helps make the parts appear darker in shadows, but it is subtle either way.  I know the effect is more evident when you use a Speedpaint as a glaze over a zenithal paint job.  I figure it could be done with a brush, but I would think it would be a lot of work (not that I have tried it that way) and I am not sure it would be worth the effort that way.

Register