Author Topic: Does ComStar broadcast media over the HPG network?  (Read 2569 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Does ComStar broadcast media over the HPG network?
« on: 11 July 2018, 23:54:52 »
Apparently it's a source of disagreement and could use some Powers That Be perspective:

Does ComStar broadcast media made by parties other than ComStar across its HPG network?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Does ComStar broadcast media over the HPG network?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2018, 01:53:46 »
Don’t have time to read the link. Please ask a single sentence question.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2018, 02:02:40 »
Does ComStar broadcast media made by parties other than ComStar across the HPG network, or does non-ComStar produced interstellar media primarily propagate via traveling space vessels?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2018, 02:16:32 »
I don’t want to say that’s an absurd question…but yes, yes they do.
It’s what they do.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2018, 02:19:04 »
I don’t want to say that’s an absurd question…but yes, yes they do.
It’s what they do.

I wouldn't have thought it a controversial assertion either, but apparently it was on the grounds of belief that ComStar wouldn't allow itself to facilitate propaganda broadcasting.  Thanks for weighing in :)
« Last Edit: 12 July 2018, 02:22:17 by Tai Dai Cultist »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2018, 18:32:24 »
Apparently it's a source of disagreement and could use some Powers That Be perspective:

Does ComStar broadcast media made by parties other than ComStar across its HPG network?

Oh, yes. Its HPGs deliver syndicated media from all sorts customers: DC and CC propaganda to their worlds, FS/LC/FWL media junk to their markets, and so on. That's how the Solaris VII games are such cash cows - they're shared across the Inner Sphere by ComStar.

And ComStar's illusion of neutrality wouldn't have lasted 250 years if they refused to carry the state-generated informational broadcasts (i.e., propaganda) of places like the Combine and Confederation.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2018, 18:40:16 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2018, 18:48:37 »
And ComStar's illusion of neutrality wouldn't have lasted 250 years if they refused to carry the state-generated informational broadcasts (i.e., propaganda) of places like the Combine and Confederation.

To give fair credit to those who were disagreeing: I think the rub was more as to whether ComStar would be party to propaganda being broadcast from one House into another.. or if ComStar would be more on the P.O.V. that there is no objective way to parse what's "legit" news/entertainment from propaganda and therefore refuse noone's C-Bills for HPG time.

Anyway, thank you and AG again for sharing your opinions with us.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2018, 18:51:09 »
Oh, like would ComStar broadcast "The Voice of Luthien" to Federated Suns space and vice versa?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2018, 19:03:22 »
They would transmit it. But someone has to pay, and someone has to pick up the data from the station on the receiving end. Just like any other transmission. Would ComStar broadcast it as part of their media packages, like INN? No, why would they.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register