Author Topic: Growing your fleet  (Read 72208 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Growing your fleet
« Reply #240 on: 17 August 2019, 07:29:21 »
It was the first full war in centuries within the homeworlds. An event not known for generations. Everything else before was done via trials. Even the fights on York between Star Adders and Blood Spirits while no longer bound to zellbriggen weren't evolved to that stage of full war.

Yep which is why once fleets got unleashed clans, which could concentrate naval power did way better

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #241 on: 17 August 2019, 13:33:11 »
The Homeworld Clans pretty much threw out the rulebook by this point.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #242 on: 21 August 2019, 12:33:39 »
Did the clans have the specs blue prints to build any warship from the sldf and house fleets?

For example if the clans wanted to build say a robinson transport iic could they do that?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #243 on: 21 August 2019, 12:49:24 »
Did the clans have the specs blue prints to build any warship from the sldf and house fleets?

For example if the clans wanted to build say a robinson transport iic could they do that?

They apparently built more York-class destroyer/carriers based on the numbers. The original versions of these ships were refitted Riga II-class WarShips.

Edit: They also seem to have built more Carrack-class transports as well.

Ruger
« Last Edit: 21 August 2019, 13:37:56 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #244 on: 21 August 2019, 13:23:17 »
You also run into things like the rebuild of the Avatars into Liberators and IIRC they 'fixed' their Cameron's power supply problems.  Taking a ship apart to that point means you should be able to build something like it.  I thought they did make new . . . Whirlwinds? from the Davion IIs.

But did they have specs for ships they did not take with them?  Doubtful- first the Robinson as you suggest belonged to another House, you could maybe make a case for a for something like the Luxor or McKenna since they were SL designs.  BUT . . . here is where certain data core information bites you in the butt, while the New Dallas and other memory cores have provided plans for mechs, armor and weapons they have NOT included designs for warships (b/c, duh they are wiping them out) . . . closest you got was the Helm Core or other source bringing the FedSuns closer to being able to produce warships.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 21 August 2019, 14:16:26 »
You also run into things like the rebuild of the Avatars into Liberators and IIRC they 'fixed' their Cameron's power supply problems.  Taking a ship apart to that point means you should be able to build something like it.  I thought they did make new . . . Whirlwinds? from the Davion IIs.

But did they have specs for ships they did not take with them?  Doubtful- first the Robinson as you suggest belonged to another House, you could maybe make a case for a for something like the Luxor or McKenna since they were SL designs.  BUT . . . here is where certain data core information bites you in the butt, while the New Dallas and other memory cores have provided plans for mechs, armor and weapons they have NOT included designs for warships (b/c, duh they are wiping them out) . . . closest you got was the Helm Core or other source bringing the FedSuns closer to being able to produce warships.

Thanks!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #246 on: 21 August 2019, 16:10:27 »
If the official plot needs them to have plans for the Robinson, they will surely have them and be able to build as much as they need.  ;)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #247 on: 22 August 2019, 11:16:56 »
IMHO the Home Clans do have other premises for using their warships than the Star League.
This they will have to bear in mind in designing their new ships.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #248 on: 22 August 2019, 11:38:44 »
IMHO the Home Clans do have other premises for using their warships than the Star League.
This they will have to bear in mind in designing their new ships.

Premises?

They would not have the same level of plans on any House ship as they did TH/SL ship- and again, none of the canon data cores that were 'found' had that information AFAIK.  As far as non-SL ships all I can think of is the Davion Block IIs that became Whirlwinds and the Mongoose battleship (Silver Mongoose?) that got wrecked.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #249 on: 22 August 2019, 12:18:37 »
Pretty sure SLIC members who went along with the rest of the SLDF brought intel data cores with all sorts of things.  Now those may be quietly data rotting in the bottom of some empty Brian Cache (habits die hard; information is kept compartmentalized, but those in the know didn't make the second Exodus).
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #250 on: 22 August 2019, 13:10:07 »
Sure, but even stolen plans are not actual production blue prints (and still leaves out Institutional Knowledge) . . . I can sketch out the internal workings of my old M-16, but you cannot go grab your molds & drill presses to make a M-16 off of the drawings I give you.  You will still have to re-invent the weapon.  The advantage is you know it can be done, problem is HOW.

My point with the data cores is a factor of canon, in that none of the data cores we are told about ever include warship specs.  Which I pointed out was for OOC reasons b/c they were intent on wiping out the warship fleets.
Colt Ward

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #251 on: 26 August 2019, 11:44:23 »
I was re reading the info on the cached warship “ quicksilver mongoose” after the mongoose absorption it was cached in the strana mechty system, I was curious why it would have been stored there rather than say huntress or Atreus?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #252 on: 26 August 2019, 11:53:33 »
Got wrecked
Colt Ward

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #253 on: 26 August 2019, 12:03:19 »
Got wrecked

Lol yes but that happened in the circe system
And not strana mechty. So why haul it all that way?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #254 on: 03 September 2019, 14:40:42 »
So kindraa mick kreese is crusader aero focused kindraa known for its warship commander bloodlines and kick butt marines.

In canon they control a Potemkin and a Lola iii looking for ideas to leverage these strengths and grow their fleet.

What first comes to mind would be to become the caravan of the mandrills: using the Potemkin to haul raw materials/troops for a nice price with their marines attached for an additional charge.

For convoy protection what would be good additions to their tiny fleet? The Riga? Mako? York?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #255 on: 03 September 2019, 15:19:46 »
York if you can afford it.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #256 on: 03 September 2019, 15:57:55 »
IIRC, no indications a Mako ever went on the Exodus.

Need to be a bit more careful with the words you are using, you make them sound mercenary quineg?
Colt Ward

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #257 on: 03 September 2019, 16:44:58 »
IIRC, no indications a Mako ever went on the Exodus.

There were three Mako-class corvettes controlled by the bandit caste in the Homeworlds during the Wars of Reaving, quiaff?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #258 on: 03 September 2019, 17:00:21 »
Sorry, let me clear it up . . . the 2nd statement was how he was making the Monkeys sound merc.

And I must have forgot Reavings or overlooked it.  All that ever impressed one about it was, too bad none of the little fast ships had survived the SWs.  I LOVED the design and description- must have fixed the entry.
Colt Ward

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #259 on: 03 September 2019, 17:27:42 »
Sorry, let me clear it up . . . the 2nd statement was how he was making the Monkeys sound merc.

And I must have forgot Reavings or overlooked it.  All that ever impressed one about it was, too bad none of the little fast ships had survived the SWs.  I LOVED the design and description- must have fixed the entry.

No offense taken it was a valid point but what else would you leverage those naval forces?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #260 on: 03 September 2019, 18:38:47 »
You would never suggest they were mercenaries . . . you might have auxiliary forces that are bargained into it, or a pair of carefully arranged Trials . . .

The first is what Vlad did to get the Horses in- simplest terms, they merc'd . . . but its not fitting with Clan honor.  Second is what happened with some of the Omni trials- or even use the Nova Cat trial for a world that went down to a coin toss, and the warrior called out 'Edge!'  It was more about the words you used rather than the actions.
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #261 on: 04 September 2019, 07:32:29 »
Lol yes but that happened in the circe system
And not strana mechty. So why haul it all that way?

Call it a core charge to the Clans for withdrawing more WarShips from their central reserve.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #262 on: 04 September 2019, 07:46:26 »
Call it a core charge to the Clans for withdrawing more WarShips from their central reserve.

I recognize we are guessing here but would a clan have to exchange it for something of equal or lesser value?

Also the final naval battle was said to have been large, safe to assume other mongoose ships also got placed in the boneyards?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #263 on: 23 October 2019, 21:56:56 »
With few exceptions all clan warships were refits pulled from caches. Would that also be true for dropships? I would think with all the wear and tear would cause a constant demand for new ones

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #264 on: 13 November 2019, 20:38:13 »
Or they could look into the Old Naval caches... There might be some left over from Pentagon Wars, mothballed or what not.

There's still that Jade Falcon design, one of their first, without stats... I think a light class Frigate?

Maybe they'll use more jumpers but with safecon? And use naval stations at each end? Who knows... Brent might  ::)! He knows everything... so does Ray! (sometimes)

TT

If a clan pre wars of reavings stumbled upon a forgotten cache of ships would they have to “ register” them with the grand council?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #265 on: 15 November 2019, 18:35:33 »
I'd presume so, given how many cases there are of disputes over resources going to the Grand Council
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #266 on: 15 November 2019, 19:55:30 »
I'd presume so, given how many cases there are of disputes over resources going to the Grand Council

I am surprised by this. the clans seemed to operate under the “finders keepers “ paradigm.

Why would they need to register them?

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #267 on: 17 November 2019, 15:30:36 »
I am surprised by this. the clans seemed to operate under the “finders keepers “ paradigm.

Why would they need to register them?

After the Wolverine debacle, I would assume registration to be the norm.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #268 on: 17 November 2019, 18:14:27 »
After the Wolverine debacle, I would assume registration to be the norm.

I gotta disagree. We have examples like spirits and raven warship trade which was secret, the building of New York’s and the leviathans were all secret until they were revealed right?

I must think the clans esp post reaving do not have a 100% account of warships

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #269 on: 17 November 2019, 18:21:23 »
The biggest secret build of all is the Perigard Zalman.  No registration there...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Register