Author Topic: Growing your fleet  (Read 73005 times)

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Re: Growing your fleet
« Reply #360 on: 08 March 2022, 10:51:36 »
The Potemkins are IIRC armed to a battlecruiser level . . . but yeah, the Werewolf, Ulric Kerensky, Implacable, White Paw, Black Paw, and two Vincents were all destroyed because  No Warships Allowed . . . and the Winter Wolf/Yggdrasil disappeared on it's way back to the Lyrans.  When Warden Wolf fans asked after the the Full Moon, their Potemkin it was . . .

'Ooops . . . uh, it was destroyed too after the Jihad.'

Well imho you can't exactly use a transport ship as a battleship even if it is armed to the teeth. Unless you fill it's docking collars with Pocket Warships then you might use it as your command ship to control your pseudo fleet. Oh and the Ygdrassil is still active but in the Lyran navy. funny that though: the Invincible should have survived the battle at Terra. Did it got written of "off screen" as well? Or was it mothballed and never been heard of again? Kinda sad the Blakist gave that ship a good overhaul for the Jihad.

The question will be if the titasn Yards can support more then basic repairs. Could they repair a cracked KF core or destroyed maneuvering drive? The FM 3145 make it sound as if the Yards can't undertake the construction of massive ships due to the never repaired damage to the compact drive construction facilities.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #361 on: 08 March 2022, 11:00:06 »
Actually, IIRC the surviving Mjolnir was renamed to that . . . pretty sure the Galacti-Invincible is a museum ship over Tharkad now.

Damaged or whatever, you want to talk about the place to take critical damage?  It is a shipyard- not like TF Serpent out in the deep black.  Like I said, even if the ship had to be written off, you would scrap it salvaging what components you could.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
« Reply #362 on: 08 March 2022, 12:17:30 »
They might have figured they didn't have the personnel to man those ships, and couldn't afford to assign the forces to guard them and stop someone from making off with them. Imagine if a whole flotilla of ex-RoTS showed up on Galatia with hijacked WarShips. Suddenly, the RoTS would be "in exile" rather than deceased.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #363 on: 08 March 2022, 17:25:11 »
Actually, IIRC the surviving Mjolnir was renamed to that . . . pretty sure the Galacti-Invincible is a museum ship over Tharkad now.

Damaged or whatever, you want to talk about the place to take critical damage?  It is a shipyard- not like TF Serpent out in the deep black.  Like I said, even if the ship had to be written off, you would scrap it salvaging what components you could.

Just checked the FM: 3145. The sole Warship of the Commonwealth is the Yggdrassil. They kept the name (well it is a curse for sapcers to rechristen a ship). Too bad the Invincible is not there any more. Now that would be a sign of rbirth: reactivate the Invincible and use it to spearhead an attack into occupied territory. As if that is possible with the Commonwealth having just one naval yard left.

Yeah you are right ripping of working parts from to be scuttled ships is more reasonable then crashing them into the sun. Or maybe use them as a poor man's defense station if need be.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #364 on: 08 March 2022, 20:59:15 »
Just checked the FM: 3145. The sole Warship of the Commonwealth is the Yggdrassil. They kept the name (well it is a curse for sapcers to rechristen a ship). Too bad the Invincible is not there any more. Now that would be a sign of rbirth: reactivate the Invincible and use it to spearhead an attack into occupied territory. As if that is possible with the Commonwealth having just one naval yard left.

Yeah you are right ripping of working parts from to be scuttled ships is more reasonable then crashing them into the sun. Or maybe use them as a poor man's defense station if need be.

Last I heard, the LCS Invincible still exists, but its jump drive failed after arriving back at Tharkad.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #365 on: 09 March 2022, 00:32:20 »
Tis a museum ship . . . which is why I made the Galactica reference.

Flip side . . . is if it was in anyway functional, it would have shot up the Wolves and Falcons back in the mid 3140s.  Need a meme of someone pounding on a inop fire countrol panel, lol.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #366 on: 10 March 2022, 14:23:06 »
They might have figured they didn't have the personnel to man those ships, and couldn't afford to assign the forces to guard them and stop someone from making off with them. Imagine if a whole flotilla of ex-RoTS showed up on Galatia with hijacked WarShips. Suddenly, the RoTS would be "in exile" rather than deceased.

The fact that some units are still out there and Jonah Levin still is on the run makes me think a RoTS in Exile might actually be a possibility.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #367 on: 14 March 2022, 05:08:35 »
The fact that some units are still out there and Jonah Levin still is on the run makes me think a RoTS in Exile might actually be a possibility.

Now I am imagining that the McKenna's Pride becomes PRincess Peach of Battletech: getting kidnapped by whatever force sets it's eyes on it. I mean the Wolves stole it right from under those nose of the remaining Homeworld Clans now we need Levin to pull the same stunt

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #368 on: 15 March 2022, 20:32:55 »
Now I am imagining that the McKenna's Pride becomes PRincess Peach of Battletech: getting kidnapped by whatever force sets it's eyes on it. I mean the Wolves stole it right from under those nose of the remaining Homeworld Clans now we need Levin to pull the same stunt

Nah, I fully expect the Homeworld Clans to reappear and there first act would be to destroy the Pride because it would be inconceivable that the ship still exists and Kerenskys body isnt on Strana Mechty.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #369 on: 29 July 2022, 18:33:33 »
With the devastation of fleets in the wars of reaving how many “ destroyed” ships were recalled and repaired?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #370 on: 30 July 2022, 13:06:50 »
I can say that Clan Stone Lions has three, using their single slip repair yard above Niles to good effect, pair Lola III and a York. How much damaged durning the Reaving, I don't know but by 3150 or so they should be almost fully repaired...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #371 on: 31 July 2022, 10:35:21 »
From what I understood is that the Homeworld Clans seem to have emptied all remaining Naval caches they had left from the Exodus. I would assume that the Yards they still have could theoretically construct new Warships but that is most likely pushed WAAAYYYY down the priority list due to the extensive damage the infrastructure took in the Kerensky cluster (not to mention the devastating losses each touman took)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #372 on: 10 November 2022, 17:33:39 »
From what I understood is that the Homeworld Clans seem to have emptied all remaining Naval caches they had left from the Exodus. I would assume that the Yards they still have could theoretically construct new Warships but that is most likely pushed WAAAYYYY down the priority list due to the extensive damage the infrastructure took in the Kerensky cluster (not to mention the devastating losses each touman took)

In that vein did the civilian jump ship fleet also get mauled during the reavings as well?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #373 on: 10 November 2022, 17:40:48 »
In that vein did the civilian jump ship fleet also get mauled during the reavings as well?
There was almost no restraint in shooting civilian JS during the reavings.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #374 on: 10 November 2022, 17:47:28 »

Right… thanks for the reminder so I imagine all new builds were focused on non warships

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #375 on: 27 January 2023, 22:15:23 »
Recognizing that their fleet needed beefing up after the absorption war debacle and you could add only two ships to the 4 in the cannon fleet as seen here:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Blood_Spirit_Touman

What two ships would you add and why? I am thinking a fredrasa as a quick and fast raider but what in your opinions makes the most sense for those two slots?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #376 on: 28 January 2023, 19:05:44 »

Looking at the Merchant Fleet losses and the lack of raw materials the Homeworlds are known for and the destruction of Shipyards it could take century's to rebuild to pre-Reaving levels. Even salvage, extensive salvage might not get even one Clan to pre-Reaving levels. Which means lots of trials to claim jumpships from other surviving Clans or raiding outside the Homeworld space.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #377 on: 28 January 2023, 20:23:16 »
Looking at the Merchant Fleet losses and the lack of raw materials the Homeworlds are known for and the destruction of Shipyards it could take century's to rebuild to pre-Reaving levels. Even salvage, extensive salvage might not get even one Clan to pre-Reaving levels. Which means lots of trials to claim jumpships from other surviving Clans or raiding outside the Homeworld space.

So you would recommend more transport capacity Pre WOR and forgoe warships altogether?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #378 on: 29 January 2023, 02:16:29 »
While I don’t think any are cannocial stated as being amongst the clans the Dart light cruiser seems perfect for the spirits

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #379 on: 31 January 2023, 11:22:09 »
The Home Clans have the best chance to design some new warship classes. And do not forget, if they think they need them they will do anything to get them.
They are Clan.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #380 on: 31 January 2023, 12:07:10 »
So you would recommend more transport capacity Pre WOR and forgoe warships altogether?

Honestly yes. Warships don't move troops or raw materials. Jumpships do and at a much lower cost. The Jumpship fleet needs rebuilding more than they need warships. By the Dark Age era they can start construction of warships and even then the best option would be to focus on small warships rather than Heavy Cruiser and Bovs designs.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #381 on: 31 January 2023, 13:57:22 »
Honestly yes. Warships don't move troops or raw materials. Jumpships do and at a much lower cost. The Jumpship fleet needs rebuilding more than they need warships. By the Dark Age era they can start construction of warships and even then the best option would be to focus on small warships rather than Heavy Cruiser and Bovs designs.

But those jump ships need protection so perhaps a York? A great fighter carrier…

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #382 on: 31 January 2023, 16:44:16 »
But those jump ships need protection so perhaps a York? A great fighter carrier…

Dropships can serve as CV's. A dedicated carrier is in a lot of ways massive overkill. Especially among the Clans where trials serve to restrict damage.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #383 on: 01 February 2023, 22:11:44 »

That could be a good reason why the Homeworlds haven’t emerged yet is the low number of jumpships.  And if they raided outside their territory from a weaker state it could invite an invasion they cannot defeat. 

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #384 on: 02 February 2023, 17:39:50 »
How many Cargo jumpers are there left in the HW? Vs. Cargo Warships?

Because " A total of nearly six million personnel, a third of which were soldiers and the rest civilians, were carried in 1,349 JumpShips, 402 WarShips and over 5,000 DropShips. ".

The Star League, p. 96
The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky, p. 7

I'll bet if we flip from posted Clan Warships and the various cargo classes of Jumpships, going for cargo and collar capacities, we can pretty much ensure what would be left. I hypothesis that the clans built thier Odyssey and Hunter classes from the more useless and numerous smaller classes, like Aquilla, Lola I and II, the few III's that were damaged during the fighting, I suspect a Newgrange went along, as well as a Huges Yard. Possible Snowdens, for mining and Alliance for general use.

But nothing is shown. The clans have no official spacestations, but it is implied that they do.

TT

PS: Of note, a Hughes-like station is what the Dragoons and the CGS - Empiro are said to operate.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2023, 17:43:02 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #385 on: 02 February 2023, 21:20:27 »
How many Cargo jumpers are there left in the HW? Vs. Cargo Warships?

Because " A total of nearly six million personnel, a third of which were soldiers and the rest civilians, were carried in 1,349 JumpShips, 402 WarShips and over 5,000 DropShips. ".

The Star League, p. 96
The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky, p. 7

I'll bet if we flip from posted Clan Warships and the various cargo classes of Jumpships, going for cargo and collar capacities, we can pretty much ensure what would be left. I hypothesis that the clans built thier Odyssey and Hunter classes from the more useless and numerous smaller classes, like Aquilla, Lola I and II, the few III's that were damaged during the fighting, I suspect a Newgrange went along, as well as a Huges Yard. Possible Snowdens, for mining and Alliance for general use.

But nothing is shown. The clans have no official spacestations, but it is implied that they do.

TT

PS: Of note, a Hughes-like station is what the Dragoons and the CGS - Empiro are said to operate.

The Clans had plenty of time to build up there fleets in the century's after Nicholas Kerensky died. It was rescources and need that would have kept new construction down. If a Clan needs a new Nightlord there gonna not build that fleet of merchant jumpships that the Merchant Caste is screaming for.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #386 on: 06 February 2023, 00:59:08 »
Yes, while that may be true, most Clans prefer SafeCon to achieve victory, as the rare Warship would seem to be an overkill. And as such, most warships are said to be older models that happen to be built, or refurbished, right around or just before OP: Klondike took place. As Nicky K only took several with him before leaving the Pentagon Cluster for the harsher planets.

And since then, for almost 200 years or so, the few others that were either rebirthed and/or cached for the time, for OP: Revival. Which happened another hundred years later. And then the few clans that did involve their Warship fleet(s) found out that the IS didn't have any as they had fought for the SL Throne during their Exodus.

So while that Nightlord for the Warrior Caste could be made, enough clot and resource savvy Scientist / Laborer Caste members would have stalled the construction for more collars. And every clansman would want that, quiaff? As more collars meant more boots on the ground, equaling more glorious honor and isola taken from the enemies of the clan.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #387 on: 17 February 2023, 19:56:59 »
If the official plot needs them to have plans for the Robinson, they will surely have them and be able to build as much as they need.  ;)

For those who are unfamiliar check out the Robison it’s pretty cool! Do the clans have anything similar?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #388 on: 19 February 2023, 17:45:57 »
For those who are unfamiliar check out the Robison it’s pretty cool! Do the clans have anything similar?

A Robinson copy would be doable but the Robinson was a Great House ship. Not a former SLDF design. I could see the Potemkin being the 'Go to' design the Clans would go for as a new build.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #389 on: 20 February 2023, 04:59:15 »
It is called a Nightlord.

Register