Author Topic: Lindworm Protomech (UltraHeavy) w. Art  (Read 10570 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Lindworm Protomech (UltraHeavy) w. Art
« on: 27 May 2017, 16:00:43 »
(Based upon an AU in which the Society is still active)

The Lindworm UltraHeavy Protomech is the successor of the Basilisk Q Protomech. Its appearance very closely resembles its predecessor, but it is a far heavier and more capable design. The decision to develop this successor is based upon several reasons. The first reason was that the Society lost the required manufacturing lines for the Basilisk Q, and had to invest into new infrastructure anyway. The new design would also maximize the usage of their now more limited pool of pilots.
   The aim of this design is to retain all the capabilities of the various Basilisk Q variants, such as the Melee system and the Electric Discharge Armor, while significantly increasing the armor protection.

Type: Lindworm (Quad)
Technology Base: Clan (Wars of Reaving)
Tonnage: 14

Equipment:                        Mass
Internal Structure:                1400 KG
Engine:               140          5000 KG
     Walking MP:      8
     Running MP:      12 (16)
Myomer Booster             350 KG
Heat Sinks:           0               0 KG 
Cockpit:                            750 KG 
Armor Factor:         64           4800 KG 
                Internal       Armor
                Structure      Value
   Head            4             8 
   Torso           14           28 
   Legs            16           28 

All Weapons and Ammo    Location    Mass(KG)
ProtoMech QMWS             T          1000   
SRM-2                      T           500   
SRM-2 ammo (10)            T           200   

Edit for adding art mention in title.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 19:22:55 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Xeno426

• Sergeant
Re: Lindworm (UltraHeavy) Protomech
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2017, 16:49:39 »
Since the errata means that protos have to be in the same hex as the unit they're attacking with melee, these guys can't really use their SRMs in those engagements. Would it be more useful to give it a long-range support weapon instead? Something to fire while its closing the range, and something to differentiate it a bit more from the Basilisk Q.

They're a bit cliche, but LRMs would be a good choice.The best part of them would be that they could be filled with smoke rounds to cover the approach of the protos. Maybe have two separate bins so that one could be smoke (or some other specialty round) and the other could be normal.

Otherwise, it looks good. Lots of speed and a respectable amount of armor.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2017, 16:58:53 »
Since the errata means that protos have to be in the same hex as the unit they're attacking with melee, these guys can't really use their SRMs in those engagements. Would it be more useful to give it a long-range support weapon instead? Something to fire while its closing the range, and something to differentiate it a bit more from the Basilisk Q.

They're a bit cliche, but LRMs would be a good choice.The best part of them would be that they could be filled with smoke rounds to cover the approach of the protos. Maybe have two separate bins so that one could be smoke (or some other specialty round) and the other could be normal.

Otherwise, it looks good. Lots of speed and a respectable amount of armor.
True, also there is enough tonnage for an LRM-2 with 18 salvos worth of ammo, plenty of space for some smoke rounds.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2017, 14:33:09 »

Just some fluff and updated stats:

Mass: 14 tons
Chassis: LND/14-Endo
Power Plant: 140 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 86 kph
Maximum Speed: 129 kph (172 kph)
Jump Jets: None
      Jump Capacity: None
Armor: G4 EDP Armor
Armament:
       2400 kg of pod space
Manufacturer: Beta Mobile Facility
Primary Factory: Unknown
Comm System: Proto-Type 4
T&T System: SAT-PM1

Overview
   The Basilisk Quad was a prominent part of the Society's ProtoMech forces during the Rebellion and it had proven its effectiveness in many recorded engagements. However that design was fabricated using parts that couldn't be obtained after the Rebellion. This quickly relegated many of the remaining examples to training facilities.
   This situation was unacceptable for the Society, so they decided to design an UltraProto to replace the Basilisk Quad. They called this heavier design the Lindworm. It was designed from the ground up to be manufactured by the Society, be compatible for a larger selection of pilots and to utilize the latest technological advancements.

Capabilities
   The Lindworm doubles the tonnage of its predecessor, the increased weight was invested into doubling the maximum velocity and armor protection. This has made it far more effective at utilizing its Electric Discharge Armor. The loadout of the more conventional Prototype uses a ProtoMech Quad Melee Weapon System and a LRM-2, the latter being intended for harassing fire or using special munitions such as Smoke LRMs.
   The prototype was quickly followed up by the production version which utilized ProtoMech Endosteel and Omnitechnology. The primary payload was nearly the identical but doubled the number of launch tubes and ammunition.
   The first alternative loadout was designed to be a spotter for Nova networks. Understandably this variant is not very popular, as it is only armed with a single machine gun.
   Alternate B is completely focused on producing the maximum amount of missile damage, through the use of a SRM-6. Tests have shown that it should also be very effective against enemy vehicles. Alt-C is similar but is focused upon making slashing attacks against enemy infantry formations.
   Alternate D is an artillery spotter that is capable of making 240 meter jumps. Although the Lindworm is a very difficult target to hit, it is only armed with a single SRM-2 launcher, thus it relies on its allies to be a credible threat.

Deployment
   The Lindworm has been in production for quite sometime, this has allowed any of the Society's inner facilities or task forces to have a sizeable group of these OmniProtos available. Its improved capabilities not only allowed it to replace the Basilisk Quad, but it has also taken many of the battlefield roles of fast light 'Mechs, sharply reducing the need for traditional light 'Mechs.

Type: Lindworm Prototype      
Technology Base: Clan         

Equipment      Mass   
Internal Structure:     STD   1400   kg
Engine:      140   5000   kg
Walking MP:    8      
Running MP:    12 (16)      
Myomer Booster:      350   kg
Heat Sinks:    0   0   kg
Cockpit:       750   kg
Armor Factor:EDP   64   4800   kg

IS   Armor   
Head   4   8   
Torso   14   28   
Legs   16   28   

All Weapons and Ammo   Location   Mass   
ProtoMech QMWS   T   1000   kg
LRM 2      T   400   kg
Ammo (LRM) 18   T   300   kg

Type: Lindworm   OmniProto      
Technology Base: Clan         

Equipment:      Mass   
Internal Structure:     PES   700   kg
Engine:      140   5000   kg
Walking MP:    8      
Running MP:    12 (16)      
Myomer Booster:      350   kg
Heat Sinks:    0   0   kg
Cockpit:       750   kg
Armor Factor:EDP   64   4800   kg

Structure   Armor   
Head   4   8   
Torso   14   28   
Legs   16   28   

All Weapons and Ammo   Location   Mass   
Primary         
ProtoMech QMWS   T   1000   kg
LRM 4   T   800   kg
Ammo (LRM) 18   T   600   kg

Alternate-A         
Nova CEWS   T   1500   kg
2 Heat Sinks   -   500   kg
Machine Gun   T   250   kg
Ammo (MG) 30   -   150   kg

Alternate-B         
SRM 6   T   1500   kg
Ammo (SRM) 15   -   900   kg

Alternate-C      
3 AP Gauss Rifles   T   1500   kg
Ammo (APG) 12   -   900   kg

Alternate-D         
Light TAG   T   500   kg
8 Jump Jets   -   1200   kg
SRM 2   T   500   kg
Ammo (SRM) 10   -   200   kg

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2017, 23:46:59 »
Hmm, couldn't squeak in 2500kg of pod space? That way you could fit something like an Angel ECM and light active probe, or Nova CEWS (plus heat sinks) and a light TAG.

Also, that C variant seems to have a chronic lack of ammo. As a superheavy proto, its going to survive a lot longer than a two or four tonne proto, so it's going to need more than just four shots per gun.

Hell, I've found that the regular Boggart can easily run out of ammo before it comes closer to dying, and that has ten shots.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2017, 00:08:59 by Xeno426 »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2017, 11:58:03 »
Hmm, couldn't squeak in 2500kg of pod space? That way you could fit something like an Angel ECM and light active probe, or Nova CEWS (plus heat sinks) and a light TAG.
Well it should be reasonable to remove 2 points of armor for more pod space.

Also, that C variant seems to have a chronic lack of ammo. As a superheavy proto, its going to survive a lot longer than a two or four tonne proto, so it's going to need more than just four shots per gun.

Hell, I've found that the regular Boggart can easily run out of ammo before it comes closer to dying, and that has ten shots.
What about removing 1 APG and adding a Light AP?

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2017, 12:48:03 »
Only six shots per gun is still pretty poor; I'd say 10 is kind of a minimum for a superheavy, given how long they can stick around.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2017, 13:09:28 »
Only six shots per gun is still pretty poor; I'd say 10 is kind of a minimum for a superheavy, given how long they can stick around.
900 kg is 36 shots, I had it divided per weapon.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2017, 15:40:33 »
900 kg is 36 shots, I had it divided per weapon.
Oh, sorry! I misunderstood; I thought that "12" was for shots total.

Yeah, 12 shots per gun is good, though I can see it running out if the pilot doesn't take only high-chance (6+ or 7+) shots.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2017, 19:16:06 »
So who wants a HUG?

Draw by Plog. Tell me what you guys think.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
Re: Lindworm Protomech (UltraHeavy) w. Art
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2017, 01:59:46 »
That's a honestly terrifying protomech.

It's a giant blending machine for PBI and Battlearmor, even Battlemech doesn't want this thing to get near them and Vehicle crew is basically dead with one on top of them.
On behalf of the Berserker,
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Salvage Dog AU SI Fanfic Thread
Salvage Dog AU Tech Compilation Thread
Salvage Dog AU Battlemech Thread

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2017, 17:40:08 »
That's a honestly terrifying protomech.

It's a giant blending machine for PBI and Battlearmor, even Battlemech doesn't want this thing to get near them and Vehicle crew is basically dead with one on top of them.
Thanks, Plog really made it look dangerous.
Also as you can see it has the connectors at the base of the blades. This allows the melee system to be quickly removed or replaced.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2017, 18:53:31 »
That's a pretty stunning piece of artwork.  I mean seriously I've loved some of the stuff he's done for marauder but that is really really cool.

As the Omni-Proto - YES!!  Awesome idea especially the super heavies which are essentially Super-light Mechs anyway.

As for this one

Prime looks pretty lethal even if the ammo is a bit weird you have 4 full salvos plus a half I'm guessing just weight restrictions

A looks a little under powered does it neat the heat sinks for Nova?  I didn't think Protos needed for ballistic (it's been a while I might be way off)

B I really like

C I like though the ammo concerns me I'd rather drop it to one AP gauss and maybe add some one shot SRMs or something give the same hitting power as the gauss but with less ammo worry

D insane but I really like it I thought quad Protos couldn't jump but I've no issue with giving them that capability
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2017, 17:06:55 »
Prime looks pretty lethal even if the ammo is a bit weird you have 4 full salvos plus a half I'm guessing just weight restrictions
That is 18 salvos for the entire launcher, so 4x18 missiles.

A looks a little under powered does it neat the heat sinks for Nova?  I didn't think Protos needed for ballistic (it's been a while I might be way off)
Yep the HS are for the Nova as it generates 2 points of heat.

B I really like
Thanks

C I like though the ammo concerns me I'd rather drop it to one AP gauss and maybe add some one shot SRMs or something give the same hitting power as the gauss but with less ammo worry
3x12 rounds.

D insane but I really like it I thought quad Protos couldn't jump but I've no issue with giving them that capability
Don't worry protoquads can jump, just look at the boggart 2.  8)
The idea behind that one is to jump in to shock and jump out to recharge. Lindworm I choose you!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2017, 17:15:17 »
18 salvos take it back very sweet I like it

I'd still be tempted to swap a AP gauss for an SRM 2 or something add some infernos to the mix
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2017, 07:22:51 »
Ooooh! So it was you who commissioned this beast, LOVE the art and design!  A real killer for sure!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2017, 08:06:31 »

And I have many ideas for 2018.....  >:D

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2017, 09:46:24 »
Me thinks we'll have to collaborate more :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2018, 23:58:09 »
How much damage does this thing put out with its melee attack, out of curiosity?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2018, 18:10:17 »
How much damage does this thing put out with its melee attack, out of curiosity?
Sorry for the late response.

UltraHeavy Frenzy = 3
Quad melee weapon system =  +6
Feralize Drug (+4 to hit for weapon attacks) = x2

So normally it will cause 9 points of damage, but Feralize will double the damage to 18 points!

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2018, 20:18:38 »
Was there ever an official ruling on how Feralize works with regular BattleTech? Does "always lose at initiative" end up applying to *everything* the player controls, or just that those units must move first?